Ecuador threatens Copa pull out in hotel row
QUITO, March 24 (Reuters) - Ecuador threatened on Wednesday to pull out of the Copa America in neighbouring Peru, saying their hotel accommodation had been cancelled in favour of Argentina.
"If they hotel doesn't respect our reservation then, logically, we wouldn't have anywhere to stay, so we wouldn't go," Ecuador Football Federation (FEF) president Luis Chiriboga told Reuters. "Logically, it's a question of respect."
Chiriboga said Ecuador reserved their accomodation in the northern city of Chiclayo, where they will be based in the first round, on March 3.
He said Ecuador were later told that Argentina had reserved the entire hotel.
Chiriboga added that Ecuador would happily share the hotel with another team, including Argentina.
"I hope they sort this out and respect Ecuador's reservation," he said.
Ecuador face Argentina, Mexico and Uruguay in their first round group, which is considered the most difficult.
The tournament will be held from July 6 to 25.