Is Asutralia better than 5th placed South American team? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 08:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Chile and Lazio
Australia was so close to qualifying for the 94 and 98 world cups and it seems that they have to qualify for this world cup!! In 93 the Australians were put in the situation of an almost imposible task of a playoff against argentina!!
They kept their pride and went down only 2-1 on aggregate.

4 years later a star called Harry Kewell made a big name of himself when he scored 2 goals against Iran. Australia were destined for the world cup even with some poor refereeing decisions until the Iranians played soccer for 10 minutes!!

For Australia not to qualify for the World Cup would be devastationg for Ausie soccer. And with stars like Viduka, Kewell, Okon, Bosnich they have great chance of making it!!

What do you guys think, are Australia up to the class as teams such as Colombia, Chile and Paraguay? I think so!!

A full strength Ausie line up is this in a 4-4-2 formation

Bosnich (Man Utd)
Lazaridis (Birmingham City)
Vidmar (Rangers)
Moore (Rangers)
Muscat (Wolves)
Tiatto (Man City)
Okon (Middlesbrough)
Zelic (1860 Munich)
Emerton (Feyenord)
Kewell (Leeds)
Viduka (Leeds)

They can also boast players like Aloisi(coventry), Agostino (1860 Munich, Corica(Wolves), Schwarzer(middlesbrough)

Their whole team is Euro based and who ever comes 5th in South America will have their hands full
Hopefully Chile can come 4rd

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 10:16
Premier Player

Hi EL MATADOR
Of course this is a big chance for Australians to qualify for a World Cup because now have maybe the better team in their history.
First of all,the other teams in the Oceania confederation are not competitive(except New Zealand)so maybe it will be easy for Australia to be first and play against the 5th South American team.This team probably will be Colombia,Paraguay or Chile.These two games will be difficult for both teams.Iran-the 4rd Asian team then- have won Australia before 3 years.Is the 4th Asian better than the 5th South American team?In my opinion of course not.So Australia is the outsider.Australia have very good players but South American teams have too.Anyway we will see in two years which of those teams will be in Japan/Korea.Let's hope Chile will be there...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 11:32
ANELKA

i guess EL MATADOR you forgot ergic by the time playoff's come around he would be a regular for austrailia.
austrailia can qualify if they get to face a team like colombia or peru then there is a great chance.
i think chile,argentina,brazil,uruguay will get direct qualification.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 12:30 Thread Starter
Star Player

Hey SAZA. I think Australia should actually play the 3rd placed asian team which would probably be China. That would be easier

Yeah Australia would probably be outsiders but if you compare the team from now and 1997 you will see that the team has gotten a lot better!! Okon didn't play due to injurie, Kewell has become a star, Viduka is scoring many goals, many new young players are coming through eg Emerton. I would put Australia as favourites against Paraguay but outsiders against Chile or Colombia!!

I think that it will finish: Argentina,Brazil,Urugay,Chile,Urugay,Paraguay,Ecua dor,Peru,Bolivia,Venezuela.

Well actually Ergic isn't even in the Olympic team which is strange. He's still 19 and still has a lot ahead of him but the matches will be on next year and I can't see him being picked by then. Someone who I think will be an International by then is Hayden Foxe, he just got transfered to West Ham remember that name
also Simon Colossimo looks good.

ANELKA about the moderator thing, Jan don't seem to be responding too much to people asking him questions, but where did you want me to post the request to make you a moderator?

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 14:12
ANELKA

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 18:28
Premier Player

EL MATADOR as you are CONMEBOL's moderator i'd like to ask you a question.What a moderator suppose to do in his forum?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2000, 23:10 Thread Starter
Star Player

Well this is an easier forum to moderate since there are no trouble makers
Just keeps the threads clean, no people insulting other people, preferably no swearing and keeping the forum active, posting new topic/replies. When I became moderator there were no threads. So thats why a moderator was needed.
I can delete topics, close them, move them and report Jan naughty people

Alright I'll post there ANELKA< but i gotta go to skool now

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in