The repeating renewals of South American NTs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2003, 10:08 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The repeating renewals of South American NTs

This is a wondering i have a lot of years now.What happen with sudamerican NTs and they have different squads year by year?This is really very strange and i'll give you an example.WC98 Chile-Italy 2-2.The only survivors from this game for Chile are Tapia and Salas,while in Italy the corm of the Italian squad is almost the same with players like Nesta,Cannavaro,Del Piero,Vieri,Inzaghi etc being internationals for loads of years.In SA,do they have the feeling that they produce one international talent every month or what??And if you answer me,yes,then what happens after some years to this player and stop getting a call???Is there a better talent coming up?And so goes on?I don't think so,as these episodes are been played for years now and one day they should have touched the ceiling!!!So there's something else happening.Your opinions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2003, 10:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

...And i don't talk about Brazil and especially Argentina that have some players that are untouchables cause of their reputation and value.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2003, 14:54
Star Player

Chile 98 squad was ladden with veterans, It took that generation of players about 6 years of working together to make it to the WC. That is why now 5 years later only a few of them are still there.

Same goes for the Colombia 98 squad only Mondragon and Aristizabal still remain in the picture I think. That was the 3rd consecutive WC for that group of players.

Even Paraguay only has a handful of players still there from their 98 team.

I think there is no more turnover in SA NT teams than any other NT team.

Example Ecuador still has 90% of the team that qualified to WC 02 and about 50 % of the team that finish 6th in the WCQ's for France 98.

Colombia kept the same players for about 3 WCs.

Even Uruguay who usually has a lot of depth has players who has been in NT mix for several cycles.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2003, 19:14 Thread Starter
Premier Player

On the other hand Bolivia capped around 60 players in WCQs02.Brazil capped around 50 ones.Take a look at the forwards that were used in that period:Ronaldinho,Luizao,Rivaldo,Romario,Edilson,G uillerme,Jardel,Amoroso,Elber and maybe i forget some others.

In Uruguay the only true all time classic is Recoba,while Carini,Rodriguez,Magallanes,Dario Silva,Olivera etc despite having a good footballing age,are not in the squad anymore.Same with Montero,who is a bit over 30 and JUVENTUS player but not in the squad!My country's NT has about 5 players in their 30ies.

I agree with you for Ecuador and Paraguay.

If you compare Colombia's 11 in the first games of 02 Qs and 06 ones,you will find a lot of differences.

I don't think these nations are like England who despite having bunch of quality players in the Premier League has Campell,G.Neville,P.Neville,Butt,Scholes,Beckham,O wen in their calculated squad for years now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2003, 01:51
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
I have to agree with Kostas here.

Carrasco called 22 players for the next 2 qualifiers, and the only one of them that started a game in the WC was Recoba.

I guess that is, because Carrasco, has different methods, but I cant remember in the last eight years any player besides Francescoli, or Recoba, that had to be in the starting 11.

I think a big part of the problem is having so many players, playing so far away. There are times when we might pass up on calling a player, because we don't know how there club will react.

Especially for older players. Take Montero & Dario Silva. They both said before the WC, that after the WC they would retire from the NT, so they could concentrate thier last few years at the club level.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!

Last edited by Sebastian50; November 12th, 2003 at 04:52.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2003, 06:21
Premier Player

for peru
the quartet of jorge soto, roberto palacios, nol solano and juan jayo have been playing for the national team since oblitas back in 96

pizarro mendoza hidalgo rebosio joined them in maturana era of 2000

apart from those players the rest are fairly new to internal play

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in