Should Mls Be On Copa Libertadores? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2003, 05:01 Thread Starter
Rookie

Should Mls Be On Copa Libertadores?

Whats your opinion on this?

i say yeah it will be nice to have some US teams playing against some of the latinos

dammit i cant seem to make a poll dont know how
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2003, 05:56
Star Player

Teams: SC Internacional
why not,this way good south american teams can humiliate them
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2003, 03:19
Star Player

I certainly think that it would be good to have MLS teams compete in the Libertadores.

Not only will improve MLS players facing such stiff competition, but IMO MLS status in the football world would also improve.

Ultimately it will depend on what Conmebol gets out of it that will determine the entrance of more teams. I think if Conmebol powers that treat the Libertadores product wisely an expanded throughout the Americas their financial reward will be superb.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2003, 12:19
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
I think it's a nice idea for the MLS clubs -- BUT I also think it's only fair that such a "merger", if it happens at all, should be done all the way. So the Mexicans and MLS clubs want in on the Libertadores? Fine, let them in. But if they want to compete with South Americans to improve their status in world football, let's merge the WC Qualifiers as well; let them fight for their WC spots with the South American nations!

Of course -- they will NEVER accept this, as qualifying for the WC would become practically impossible for most North American nations if they had to compete with South American nations. But it would be only fair. If they want to compete with South Americans to upgrade their competitiveness level (and their status in world football), do it all the way, not just taking up space in our club competitions! Let's see how the USA and Mexico do against Uruguay and Chile in WC Qualifiers, instead of facing El Salvador and Nicaragua for their qualification! Just entering the Libertadores party, without jeopardizing their sweet Qualifiers' ride, is like wanting to keep the cake and eat it too... :rollani:

So by all means, let Mexicans and Americans join the South American competitions... but let's have those WC spots as well, let's merge them too. That way we can have more than six South American nations in the World Cup, the MLS can have a couple of teams in the Libertadores, and everybody can be happy.

But I doubt the MLS will ever accept to compete with South Americans for the WC spots... therefore, I think it's only fair that they organize their own international club competition, with teams from their own Qualifying zone. It's not reasonable to let them participate in a more prestigious club competition, while allowing them the confort of playing Mickey-Mouse competitors for their WC spots.

Either the Mexicans and Americans accept higher stakes for good, or they stay where they are, in that secure and non-challenging environment. Letting them play among the big boys in club competition only, while allowing them to play against kindergarten when it really matters... well, it doesn't sound fair.

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2003, 12:43
Star Player

Teams: Al Wasl & Boca Juniors
I think the only competition the North American teams can be part of is Copa America, coz everytime Conmebol is calling teams from Asia or even from C America... it sounds like friendly cup
Also its impossible for South American clubs to fly to the US (talking about the long distance states) and play matches in the middle of the week while the local compitions are running, its kind of hard for them.
So make one BIG cup for the two America's.

El Rey de Copas Mundial
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2003, 12:44
International

No.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2003, 23:22
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally posted by Garrincha
I think it's a nice idea for the MLS clubs -- BUT I also think it's only fair that such a "merger", if it happens at all, should be done all the way. So the Mexicans and MLS clubs want in on the Libertadores? Fine, let them in. But if they want to compete with South Americans to improve their status in world football, let's merge the WC Qualifiers as well; let them fight for their WC spots with the South American nations!

Of course -- they will NEVER accept this, as qualifying for the WC would become practically impossible for most North American nations if they had to compete with South American nations. But it would be only fair. If they want to compete with South Americans to upgrade their competitiveness level (and their status in world football), do it all the way, not just taking up space in our club competitions! Let's see how the USA and Mexico do against Uruguay and Chile in WC Qualifiers, instead of facing El Salvador and Nicaragua for their qualification! Just entering the Libertadores party, without jeopardizing their sweet Qualifiers' ride, is like wanting to keep the cake and eat it too... :rollani:

So by all means, let Mexicans and Americans join the South American competitions... but let's have those WC spots as well, let's merge them too. That way we can have more than six South American nations in the World Cup, the MLS can have a couple of teams in the Libertadores, and everybody can be happy.

But I doubt the MLS will ever accept to compete with South Americans for the WC spots... therefore, I think it's only fair that they organize their own international club competition, with teams from their own Qualifying zone. It's not reasonable to let them participate in a more prestigious club competition, while allowing them the confort of playing Mickey-Mouse competitors for their WC spots.

Either the Mexicans and Americans accept higher stakes for good, or they stay where they are, in that secure and non-challenging environment. Letting them play among the big boys in club competition only, while allowing them to play against kindergarten when it really matters... well, it doesn't sound fair.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in