Official Thread: Colombia vs Brasil - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2003, 06:47 Thread Starter
Star Player

Official Thread: Colombia vs Brasil

Colombia squad

Keepers: Oscar Córdoba (Besiktas de Turquía) y Farid Mondragón (Galatasaray de Turquía).

Defenders: Iván Ramiro Córdoba (Inter de Milán), Mario Alberto Yepes (Nantes de Francia), Gonzalo Martínez (Reggina de Italia), Amaranto Perea (Boca Juniors de Argentina), Gerardo Bedoya (Cali), Iván López (Santa Fe), Roberto Carlos Cortés (Medellín).

Midfielders: Giovanni Hernández (Colón de Argentina), Jairo Patiño (Newell's Old Boys de Argentina), John Javier Restrepo (Cruz Azul de México), Freddy Grisales (Nacional), John Viáfara (Caldas), Rafael Castillo (Bucaramanga), Mauricio Molina (Morelia de México), Fabián Vargas (Boca Juniors de Argentina), Jorge López Caballero (Millonarios).

Forwards: Víctor Hugo Aristizábal (Cruzeiro de Brasil), Juan Pablo Angel (Aston Villa de Inglaterra), Elson Becerra (Al Jazzira de Emiratos Arabes), Léider Preciado (Cali).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2003, 06:50 Thread Starter
Star Player

Brasil squad

Keepers: Dida (Milan), Marcos (Palmeiras);

Wing Backs: Cafú (Milan), Belletti (Villarreal), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid) y Júnior (Parma);

Defenders: Lucio (Bayer Leverkusen), Roque Júnior (Milan), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen) y Edmílson (Lyon);

Midfielders: Emerson (Roma), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Kléberson (Manchester United), Rivaldo (Milan), Zé Roberto (Bayern Múnich), Kaká (Milan), Diego (Santos), Renato (Santos) y Alex (Cruzeiro)

Forwards: Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Ronaldinho Gaúcho (Barcelona) y Luiz Fabiano (Sao Paulo)

Elano (Santos) was called up to replace Kleberson who dislocated a shoulder over the weekend
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2003, 06:55 Thread Starter
Star Player

This is probably the most anticipated game. Colombia top players seem to be playing at a very high level. Brasil of course are the world champions and are coming with everything they got.

I don't think this game is going to end 0-0 like in the last WCQ campaign.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2003, 04:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Do you think that the Brasilians will have any motivational problems?

Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Co has complaint bitterly about having to qualify to the WC after winning the WC in 2002. I am not sure how ready mentally they are for this game.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2003, 04:54
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
We have that for anything that is not a official tournament...Not to forget that most players come from Europe, where the season is starting, so I do not see a game for Brazil to produce a lot. Since Parreira is always cautious, he may be able to control this and get some result.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2003, 16:10 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ronaldo sit out yesterday's practice with back spasms, nothing serious I hope.

As far as brasilians coming from Europe, it is the same for most South American teams, so production wise this will probably not be the best game of the qualifiers for the majority of teams.

BTW Colombians are certainly talking the talk, let's see if they can walk the walk. Angel and Aristizabal are predicting wins!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2003, 16:27
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Indeed , he will train today, so it does not seems that bad.
I agree that all the teams are going to be affected by the europeans, I just meant that if the game turns in too slow or anything, it may be because of that instead of lack of motivaiton.
But Brazil could have, since our calendar is different, more players from here to minimize this effect.
I am sure Colombians can beat brazil. And if they have any chance will be this game.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2003, 06:33 Thread Starter
Star Player

Maturana is toying with the idea of only using 1 striker. But it is more likely that he will use two strikers, but Aristizabal will pull back to midfield.

The team that has been use in practice is as follows:

O. Cordova in goal

G. Martinez, I. Cordova. M. Yepez and G. Bedoya in defense

J. Lopez, F. Vargas, J. Patiño and G. Hernandez in midfield

V. Aristizabal and JP. Angel in attack
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2003, 22:55
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United, Brazil
Colombia 0-1 Brazil
Ronaldo(22)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2003, 02:22 Thread Starter
Star Player

Very good performance by Brasil, Colombia put up a fight but Brasil was simply the better team.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2003, 02:30
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Well, that was certainly a good debut, wasn't it? Some thoughts about our team:

Dida didn't have much to do; for most of the game Colombia was contained by Brazil. I don't think he deserves blame for the goal, but it's an arguable point I guess.

Cafu was the old workhorse we know and love, and kept mostly to defense to watch out for Hernandez, who played in his sector.
Lucio had good forward runs but left some spaces in defense, and he missed the pace of the ball on Colombia's goal.
Surprisingly, the high point of our defense was Roque Junior, who was dominating on defense, constantly trying to organize defensive coverage. :eekani: RJ seems to be improving with age.
Roberto Carlos was solid and efficient as ever, always making something off all the balls he receives.

Gilberto Silva was fukking magnificent. His timing is almost flawless, and he makes tackling look easy.
Emerson was better in the second half, when he played closer to Cafu, which gave us more options. Good match, not good enough to silence his critics though. Emerson didn't even play that roughly today, but he will continue to be called "brucutu". Renato came in for Emerson in the 59th minute and was only competent.
Alex had some great moments but Kaka's dazzling 2nd-half entrance, with the immediate goal, makes Alex's participation look paler – which is not entirely fair. Both were good, IMO.
Ze Roberto was very good especially in the first half, when he attacked and defended well, and made the assist for our first goal. Very dynamic participation. In the 2nd half he was more discreet, dropped back and gave Roberto Carlos space to attack more -- they work very well together, and their mutual versatility allows for multiple tactical combinations on the left side. Today Ze Roberto proved his worth to the team, IMO.

Rivaldo tried to open spaces, made several forward runs and tried some difficult passes... not running too much but always well-positioned. Great off-the-ball work: For example, on our first goal, Rivo attracted Yepes off his position, which left Ronaldo free to score. If he had scored on that chance he had on the 34th minute, his performance would be complete -- but he didn't, so it wasn't.
Ronaldo, though, did have a complete performance. He scored our opening goal with a nice shot, cool and collected to apply the finish. Then he made the assist for Kaka's goal. What else did he have to do? Apparently much more. That cancelled goal in the 17th minute of the 2nd half (correctly cancelled) was disallowed but still beautiful. He missed some more chances but meh, who's complaining?

The team looks interesting, and the good news is that there's still room for improvement. But a victory on a difficult match like this is certainly a great way to start our Qualifiers campaign.

One question, though -- what the hell was Maturana thinking, leaving Aristizabal out? Baaad move.

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2003, 23:55
Star Player

Does anyone have the official attendance (publico) please
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2003, 04:49 Thread Starter
Star Player

I am notm sure about the official attendance but I would say it was 55000 plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in