Libertadores Cup Final: Santos vs Boca Juniors - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Which team will be the champion???
Boca Juniors 8 57.14%
Santos 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2003, 19:29 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Santos X Boca Final

SANTOS X BOCA FINAL
I would like your views on the final of the copa libertadores final 2003, in this thread please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2003, 00:42
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
santos all the way.
The better team with the better players and the more entertaining football. Emerson Leao has done brilliantly.
Bianchi is great too. But I can't stand that arrogant b***** schelotto. So I'm supporting santos, santos .

2 questions for you...

1. Can you get a channel that would show the game live (or taped reasonably early). Channel 4 take a while to show the games.

2. Are any players leaving your team this summer?

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2003, 08:14
Star Player

Libertadores Cup: Santos vs Boca Juniors

The final is here

Santos, tecnique and skills vs Boca, tactic and efficiency.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2003, 07:06
Star Player

Boca and Santos meet again, 40 years on

By Luis Ampuero

BUENOS AIRES, June 24 (Reuters) - The first leg of the Libertadores Cup final on Wednesday brings together two of South America's more storied clubs, who also boast three of the continent's most talked about teenage players.

Argentina's Boca Juniors, who spawned Diego Maradona and Brazil's Santos, where Pele played the majority of his career, will also repeat history -- they met in the final in 1963.

Santos beat Boca in both legs in 1963 to win the second of their two Libertadores titles but since then Argentina's most popular club have won the trophy four times, including twice in the last three years.

On Wednesday, however, Santos will look to Robinho, 19, and Diego, 18, two of the most-talked about teenagers in Brazilian soccer to spearhead their side to a repeat victory.

Under the coaching of former Brazil goalkeeper Emerson Leao Santos have undergone a resurgence in the last year, winning their first domestic title since 1984 and only their second since Pele retired in 1973.

They have also delighted the public with their attacking style which some says brings back memories of the great team of the 1960s.

Boca will look to their own talented teenager, Carlos Tevez, to try to establish a first-leg lead.

Tevez, 19, who still bears the scars of a household accident he suffered as a child when a pot of boiling water fell on him, has transformed Boca after missing the first round group stage.

Boca, uninspiring early in the competition, have won their last five matches, scoring 14 goals.

IMPOSING STADIUM

The Argentines also have the advantage of the first leg taking place in the imposing Bombonera stadium, one of the most intimidating venues in world soccer.

Such is the atmosphere in the stadium, Santos's players have already spoken about intimidation and provocation being an important psychological factor.

"We will have to be on our guard because they will want to wind up our players, especially (teenagers) Diego and Robinho," goalkeeper Fabio Costa told reporters after training on Monday.

"We have got to keep our heads so that their gamesmanship does not distract us from our main target which is to bring back a good result."

Boca striker Guillmero Barros Schelotto, the team's leading scorer with six goals, returns after missing both legs of the semi-final through injury.

Santos midfielder Elano, who limped out of last week's match away to Medellin with an ankle injury, is also fit.

The second leg is on July 2.

Possible teams for Wednesday:

Boca Juniors - 1-Roberto Abbondancieri; 4-Hugo Ibarra, 2-Rolando Schiavi, 6-Nicolas Burdisso, 3-Clemente Rodriguez; 5-Sebastian Battaglia, 22-Raul Cascini, 8-Diego Cagna, 11-Carlos Tevez; 7-Guillermo Barros Schelotto, 16-Marcelo Delgado

Santos - 1-Fabio Costa; 22-Reginaldo Araujo, 6-Alex, 14-Pereira, 3-Leo; 5-Paulo Almeida, 8-Renato, 10-Diego, 11-Elano; 7-Robinho, 9-Ricardo Oliveira.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2003, 11:24
Rising Star

Where can I listen to it on Internet radio?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2003, 15:48
Star Player

You can listen to it in Spanish at

http://www.laredonline.com
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2003, 07:43
Premier Player

Teams: Argentina, Boca Jrs.
What will happen?, we will eat Santos unexperienced players alive, after all, we are THe BEST....ha,ha,yha

Dale Boca.

"Tommy: But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to ****in' amuse you?
How the **** am I funny? What the **** is so funny about me?"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2003, 08:48
International

It apparently seems a repeat of the Champions League final. I mean a team flashy and hyper talented (Like Milan ) and another full of grit and tactical effectiveness (like Juventus ).

Now make your own conclusions............... Santos all the way. And morever I really would like to see this Santos playing against Milan. I am sure that this match would be a dream final for the World club title.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2003, 14:13
Star Player

Teams: Al Wasl & Boca Juniors
Quote:
Originally posted by milano77
And morever I really would like to see this Santos playing against Milan.
Who won today?!!

Are you scare of Boca to face Milan and take Toyota Cup or you are Santos fan?!?

El Rey de Copas Mundial
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2003, 14:24
Canonized
Xtratime Legend

Teams: TIMAO & Selecao Canarinha
I thought Santos played very well in the second half.

Specially after Leao took Fabiano out and put Nene. The pressure was immense and I thouhgt Santos was going to score not only 1 but 2, for that type of football they were playing.

Boca once again showed that they don't particularly have great individualities (Tevez at best), but as a unit they work really hard and well. There counter attacks did look deadly once again.

First half I thought it was even. But as Boca played at home and looked more comfortable playing in those rainy conditions, it could be considered normal the 1x0 result.

Second half as Santos pressured Boca, they did deserve the goal. They had several chances..... even that sitter missed by Leo that was a sure goal.

Anyway, from what i saw yesterday the second leg will be very interesting. It will be Boca with 9 men in defense and TEvez up front trying to get the counter attack.

Santos will go with everything to unlock that defense. The sending off of Reginaldo Araujo (please don't compare him to Keleber, cause Kleber is in a whole different league than him) was a blessing for Santos. Now put Elano in midfield and stick Fabiano as a right back (the man is more versatile than ELANO ).

ANd just the last note, if I had to make a bet to win US$ 10K , I would put my money in Santos!

However, those counter attacks of Boca are deadly......... so Santos MUST be very cautions, cause this Boca team looks a bit like Romario. The moment you think you took grip of things , they go there and give you a KO punch.

Btw, I tried supporting Boca, but it was impossible for me to support and Argie team. So go SANTOS, and then on the thursday i will buy some ear tissue so my voice condifiers in my ear do not get polluted by the amount of trash that will be spilled over them
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2003, 09:34
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Batigol9
Who won today?!!

Are you scare of Boca to face Milan and take Toyota Cup or you are Santos fan?!?
I am neither scared of Boca nor a fan of Santos.

I am a neutral.

I want to see Santos vs Milan because I have been really impressed by their current team and would really like to see us against them.

Just an aesthetic point of view. Nothing against Boca.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:11
Star Player

Santos promise Boca tough time in Libertadores final

SAO PAULO, July 1 (Reuters) - Brazilian champions Santos, trailing 2-0 against Boca Juniors after the first leg of the South American Libertadores Cup final, are still confident of lifting the trophy when the teams meet again on Wednesday.

"We're going to suffocate their team," said full-back Leo. "We're not going to let anyone breathe.

"We're going to make Boca cry, you can be certain of that."

Striker Marcelo Delgado scored twice to give Argentina's Boca a two-goal lead last Wednesday.

Brazilian commentators are sceptical as to whether Santos, who won the competition in 1962 and 1963 during Pele's heyday, are capable of overhauling Boca, who have won their last three away matches in the competition.

Boca, who lost to Santos in the 1963 final but have won the competition four times since, also defended a two-goal first leg lead in their semi-final against Colombia's America and won the second match 4-0 in Cali.

Santos teenager Robinho, who has struggled to find the form which led to comparisons with Pele last year, refused to join the pessimists.

"We have to set the game alight from the start," he said. "A quick goal is fundamental."

The match, which pits Santos's exciting young team against the side coached by wily Libertadores Cup campaigner Carlos Bianchi, is the most eagerly awaited of the year in Latin America.

SOLD OUT

The 73,103 tickets for the match at the Morumbi stadium sold out by Sunday evening, infuriating hundreds of Santos fans who queued in vain through the early hours of Monday morning.

Bianchi has already won the Libertadores three times, two of his victories coming in the same Morumbi stadium.

In 1994, he led modest Velez Sarsfield to a penalty shootout win against defending champions Sao Paulo.

Six years later, he was again at the helm as Boca, Argentina's most popular club, overcame Palmeiras in another penalty shootout.

He won his third Libertadores the following year when Boca beat Mexico's Cruz Azul in yet another shootout.

Boca arrived in Sao Paulo amid tight security on Tuesday night and quickly headed for the same hotel where they stayed three years ago and where Velez also stayed in 1994.

Boca striker Guillermo Barros Schelotto, who has scored six goals in the competition, will miss the game through injury. Santos are without right-back Reginaldo Araujo, sent off in the first leg.

Teams:

Boca Juniors: 1-Roberto Abbondancieri; 4-Hugo Ibarra, 2-Rolando Schiavi, 6-Nicolas Burdisso, 3-Clemente Rodriguez; 5-Sebastian Battaglia, 8-Diego Cagna, 22-Raul Cascini, 20-Javier Villareal; 11-Carlos Tevez, 16-Marcelo Delgado

Santos: 1-Fabio Costa; 11-Elano, 2-Andre Luis, 6-Alex, 3-Leo; 5-Paulo Almeida, 8-Renato, 10-Diego, 21-Fabiano; 7-Robinho, 9-Ricardo Oliveira

Referee: Jorge Larrionda (Uruguay)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 04:58
International

Teams: Boca Juniors & Argentina
Quote:
Originally posted by Ze da Fiel

ANd just the last note, if I had to make a bet to win US$ 10K , I would put my money in Santos!
Ze, u would have lost quite a bit of money!!! 3-1 to Boca in Sao Paulo!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:05
International

Teams: Boca Juniors & Argentina
It's not just about a great player such as Tevez, Delgado scoring his ninth goal of the tournament along with a solid DM like Battaglia who combined very well with Tevez of for the first goal to an excellent center back like Burdisso who marshaled a fantastic defense along with a well structured midfield which exemplifies mobility and dynamism through players such as Cagna, Casini and Villareal..We were also witout Guille (Barros Schelotto) and Crosa..

Quote:
Originally posted by Ze da Fiel
I thought Santos played very well in the second half.

Specially after Leao took Fabiano out and put Nene. The pressure was immense and I thouhgt Santos was going to score not only 1 but 2, for that type of football they were playing.

Boca once again showed that they don't particularly have great individualities (Tevez at best), but as a unit they work really hard and well. There counter attacks did look deadly once again.

First half I thought it was even. But as Boca played at home and looked more comfortable playing in those rainy conditions, it could be considered normal the 1x0 result.

Second half as Santos pressured Boca, they did deserve the goal. They had several chances..... even that sitter missed by Leo that was a sure goal.

Anyway, from what i saw yesterday the second leg will be very interesting. It will be Boca with 9 men in defense and TEvez up front trying to get the counter attack.

Santos will go with everything to unlock that defense. The sending off of Reginaldo Araujo (please don't compare him to Keleber, cause Kleber is in a whole different league than him) was a blessing for Santos. Now put Elano in midfield and stick Fabiano as a right back (the man is more versatile than ELANO ).

However, those counter attacks of Boca are deadly......... so Santos MUST be very cautions, cause this Boca team looks a bit like Romario. The moment you think you took grip of things , they go there and give you a KO punch.

Btw, I tried supporting Boca, but it was impossible for me to support and Argie team. So go SANTOS, and then on the thursday i will buy some ear tissue so my voice condifiers in my ear do not get polluted by the amount of trash that will be spilled over them
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:40
Star Player

Boca was simply far superior as a team. I dare say this the best "team" that Boca has had in it's last 3 championships. I don't think they are even close on players talent to the 2000 winning team. But this team is machine like almost.

Congrats to the Champs.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:59
International

My congratulations to Boca fans. Well deserved winners.

Eagerly waiting for the December match. See you in Tokyo.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 14:22
Premier Player

Teams: Argentina, Boca Jrs.
Yess. yeah, see you in Tokio Milan....may the best team win.

"Tommy: But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to ****in' amuse you?
How the **** am I funny? What the **** is so funny about me?"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 16:32
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
The great Santos X Boca Juniors final...

The best team won. Boca was the unquestionable champion, they totally closed down Santos' strikeforce and Santos never even looked like they could score the goals they needed. 70 thousand people were present in the Morumbi for the proceedings.

The game began with Santos trying to apply pressure, but they didn't have much to show for it; Boca had layers upon layers of players defending, with very well-rehearsed counterstrikes; they clearly knew what they were doing. Bianchi knows his business. Truth be told, there was a bit of rough play from both sides, but both teams tried to play football – unfotunately, only one really did it well.

Boca began the game focused on not giving Diego and Renato any space to create, to make sure that Robinho and Ricardo oliveira did not receive any service upfront.
Leao then shifted Fabiano to the right side to assist rightback Wellington, but he was unable to develop good plays there, despite all the running.

In the first 20 minutes Santos dominated the actions, especially beacuse Diego moved around with intelligence and distributed the game well, but the teritorial dominance was not translated into actual danger for Boca – the Argentineans defended themselves very well.

As time went by, Boca became more and more confortable with the game until they scored their 1st goal in the 2oth minute. :eekani: Diego Cagna delivered a long pass to Marcelo Delgado, who crossed for Battaglia inside the area, where he touched for Tevez – who scored.

With the duty of scoring three goals to at least reach the penalties, Santos lost their balance inside the pitch. Robinho started to commit mistakes, Ricardo Oliveira disappearing and with all this confusion Diego suddenly didn't have options to play with – Santos' young team clearly felt the blow. The best Santos players at this point were Leo and Diego, who tried to keep the team focused.

Leao took a chance and fielded Nene in the place of Wellington, at the 29th minute of the 1st half. Fabiano went to the rightback, and now Diego should have one more alternative for creation. But the substitution didn't really improve Santos' attacking power.

On the second half the Santistas came in with their hearts on the tip of their shoes, as we say it in Brazil. But the only difference from the first half was that added willpower, the same offensive problems were evident and the well-organized Boca defense didn't seem to be having too many problems. Robinho went back to the midfield to try something, but far from the area the defenders simply clattered him down everytime he tried sprinting with the ball.

At the 75th minute Santos found a glimmer of hope when Alex hit the net with a violent long-distance shot and equalized. Needing two more goals to reach the penalties, Santos thrust forward with everything they had -- and committed the unforgivable mistake of abandoning their defense.

In the 83rd minute Fabiano lost a ball in midfield while the entire team was in attack, and in a quick counterattack Delgado – faced with the desperate goalkeeper Fabio Costa (who had advanced almost to the midfield line!) – shot the ball from where he was, and what do you know, without a keeper in its way it ended up inside the goal.

With the 2x1 on the scoreboard Santos was knocked out – if it were a boxing match, the ref would have declared it finished at that point. The fans began to leave the stadium while a few players still tried something inside the pitch.

And in the 94th minute Boca scored their third goal, with Schiavi scoring a penalty kick – after a Fabio Costa slide tackle that SHOULD have been awarded with the red card, but as the referee was a wimp Fabio got away with a yellow. When I say "wimp" I'm not kidding: The referee was SUCH a spineless worm, Santos' captain Paulo Almeida actually took the yellow card from the ref's hand and showed the yellow card to the referee, mocking him - and Almeida wasn't sent off!! I've never seen anything like this and I personally think Paulo Almeida deserves some punishment. And of course, the worm should never be called to referee any football match again.

After the game, while Boca's players celebrated, Diego rallied his teammates – some of which were crying on the pitch – telling them there was nothing to cry about, that only one could win the trophy and if they couldn't, there would be another day. Then Diego and Renato gathered the whole team in a circle and talked to them about how they couldn't do what was needed in that game but that everybody should be proud for what they had achieved – and then they all said a prayer. This kid has a champion's spirit. Even in defeat, he keeps his head high.

Congratulations to the just champions.

And better luck next time for Santos.

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 17:07
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Thank you for the review, Garrincha!!

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2003, 18:11
International

Great report Garrincha.

By your report, just as u mentioned, Diego has an attitude of a future great in him. It will be one lucky team to get him someday.

I read in the Milan official website that he has voiced his opinion for playing at Milan someday. Is this true? Anything in the Brazilian Press?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in