post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2003, 08:06 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Confederations Cup: France - Colombia

Confederations Cup Preview: France v Colombia
France - Colombia | Latest News | News Archive

06/17/2003. BACKGROUND

France open their Confederations Cup defence against Colombia looking to right the wrongs of the last World Cup.

Les Bleus tumbled out at the group stages without scoring a goal, and only registering one point.

In that tournament they had to do without the injured Zinedine Zidane for the most part, and the Real Madrid man want be present here, either, as the Spanish season has not yet finished. Indeed, midfield is a problem position for coach Jacques Santini who must also do without Patrick Vieira, Claude Makelele and Emmanuel Petit.

France have not always found South American sides an easy proposition. In the 1998 World Cup they needed a golden goal to get past Paraguay after a 0-0 draw in normal time, while last year in Japan and Korea they were held to a goal-less draw by Uruguay. A friendly defeat to Chile was sandwiched in the middle.

Colombia enter the 2003 Confederations Cup as the 2001 Copa America champions, but have not scored a goal in over a year, since a 1-2 loss to Mexico. Defensively, however, the South American champions have been stout having given up only one goal in the past five matches. Having missed out on the 2002 World Cup Colombia will be looking for a good showing this month in France as a springboard into 2006 CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying.

TEAM FORM

France Last Five (Most Recent First): WWLWW

In the Euro 2004 qualifiers, Malta have been hammered 4-0 and 6-0, while Santini's men also secured a 2-1 win against Israel. In friendlies, Les Bleus have taken care of Yugoslavia and Egypt, but suffered a 2-0 home defeat to the Czech Republic.

Colombia Last Five (most recent first): DDDDL

As stated above goal scoring has been the issue for Colombia manager Francisco Maturana, and Cruzeiro's 31-year old Victor Hugo Aristizabal has been brought in to fix the problem. On the defensive side of the ball Maturana's men have not conceded a goal since November of last year. Not a surprise when you have players like Ivan Cordoba, Mario Yepes and Gerardo Bedoya marshalling the defense. In 2003 scoreless draws have come against the likes of Ecuador, Honduras, South Korea and Mexico.

TEAM NEWS

France: Sochaux youngster Benoit Pedretti should get the nod to play alongside Olivier Dacourt in central midfield. Robert Pires is likely to start from the bench, while Djibril Cisse will partner Henry in attack.

Colombia: Defender Gerardo Bedoya has been cleared to play in this FIFA event, despite being hit with a lengthy ban by the CSF after elbowing a referee during his club's elimination from the Libertadores Cup. The ban extends only to CSF competitions. In addition goalkeeper Oscar Cordoba and defender Mario Yepes have met the requirements of the Colombian medical team for the France match after suffering from a bum knee and ankle respectively. It appears Deportes Tolima striker Elson Becerra will get the nod to start alongside Aristizabal and Geovanny Hernandez in the attack as Maturana plans to employ a 4-3-3 against the defending champions.

STAR PLAYERS

France: Thierry Henry

The Arsenal striker is determined to do well in this tournament after missing out on the last Confederations Cup.

COLOMBIA: Ivan Cordoba

A couple weeks ago the Inter defenseman had been rumored to be headed to Roma as part of a swap deal, but last week the Milan club stated their intentions to keep the Colombian skipper. Cordoba will face the tall task of preventing Thierry Henry from finding the back of the net on Wednesday. To do is a Herculean task for most, but given the experience of Cordoba if anyone slow down the Frenchman it is Cordoba.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

France (4-4-2): Barthez; Thuram, Mexes, Desailly, Lizarazu; Wiltord, Dacourt, Pedretti, Kapo; Ciss? Henry

COLOMBIA (4-3-3): Oscar Cordoba; Martinez, Iv‹ Cordoba, Yepes, Bedoya; Velasquez, Lopez, PatiãÄ; Hernandez, Aristizabal, Becerra

PAST MATCHES

The last time these two sides met, Colombia triumphed 3-1 in Fort De-France.
Stewart Coggin & Andrew Giffen

soccerage

=======================

good luck, cordoba...good luck colombia...

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2003, 18:20
Star Player

Come on Colombia!!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2003, 21:37 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

CORDOBA ALL SET TO LEAD COLOMBIA - OFFICIAL LINE-UPS FOR FRANCE CLASH
Wednesday, 18 June 2003 20:07:48
LYON - Official line-ups for tonight's Confederations Cup match between France and Colombia:

FRANCE: Fabien Barthez, Lilian Thuram, William Gallas, Marcel Desailly, Bixente Lizarazu, Sylvian Wiltord, Benoit Pedretti, Robert Pires, Olivier Dacourt, Thierry Henry, Yibril Cissé
Coach: Santini

COLOMBIA: Oscar Córdoba, Gonzalo Martínez, Iván R. Cordoba , Mario Yepes, Gerardo Bedoya, Rubén D. Velasquez, Jorge López C., Jairo Patiño, Giovanni Hernández, Elson Becerra, Víctor Aristizábal
Coach: Maturana

Referee: Cardoso (Por)

inter.it

====================

france is winning 1-0 now...henry scored a penalty in the first half...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2003, 22:32
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
It ended 1:0 but what Colombia showed (especially in the 2nd half), it was great!

I'll bear in mind name of Becerra in the first place. Good luck in the next games!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2003, 01:40 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

NARROW DEFEAT FOR CORDOBA'S COLOMBIA AT CONFEDERATIONS CUP
Wednesday, 18 June 2003 23:34:23
LYON - Ivan Ramiro Cordoba 's Colombia fell to a 1-0 defeat in their opening Confederations Cup match against host nation and reigning champions France.

A Thierry Henry penalty (controversially awarded by Portuguese referee Cardoso after consultations with the linesmen) on 39 minutes proved decisive, though the South Americans enjoyed the more ball possession in the second half (52% - 48%) and hit the post.

Match facts:

FRANCE 1-0 COLOMBIA

Scorer: Thierry Henry 39' (pen)

FRANCE: Coupet; Thuram, Mexès, Desailly (capt.), Lizarazu; Wiltord, Dacourt, Pedretti, Kapo (Pires 61'); Ciss?(Govou 76'), Henry (Marlet 85')

COLOMBIA: O. Córdoba; Martínez (Vallejo 93'), Yepes, I. Cordoba (capt.), Bedoya; Velásquez, Patiño (Arriaga 66'), Hernández, López; Aristizábal, Becerra

Referee: Lucilio Cardoso Batista (Por)

Yellow cards: France: Mexès (10'), Henry (24'), Thuram (92'), Lizarazu (92'), Colombia: López (6'), Velásquez (38'), Becerra (78'), I. Córdoba (90')

Spectators: 38,541

inter.it

========================

Confederations Cup Report: Henry Penalty Allows France To Pip Colombia
France - Colombia | Latest News | Match Report | News Archive

Henry's penalty saved France.
06/18/2003. Defending Confederations Cup champions France closed out Group A's opening round with a 1-0 win over Colombia Lyon. Only a Thierry Henry penalty could separate the two sides.

The South American champions certainly were not outclassed by their European hosts, and Francisco Maturana's men had the first chance of the match but a Ruben Dario Velasquez free kick went begging.

Then les Bleus took a few cracks at the visitors' defense in a five minute span but young Djibril Cisse could not convert after being set up nicely by Sylvain Wiltord. But the constant pressure by Santini's men paid dividends just before halftime. Velasquez's arm got in the way of a Wiltord cross in the penalty area, and Henry sent the spot kick past Oscar Cordoba in the 39th minute.

The Colombian 'keeper came up big a couple times right before the intermission, blocking shots by youngster Olivier Kapo and then Henry.

In the second half Deportes Tolima's Elson Becerra owned the left in the early going but the veteran French defense were equal to the challenge on the balls flighted into the penalty area. Velasquez then found side netting just before the hour mark, which forced Santini to introduce Arsenal's Robert Pires to win back the midfield.

Fellow Gunner Henry hit the frame of the goal not long after on a free kick, but Colombia refused to wilt. Becerra looked to have been spilled in the French penalty area with twelve minutes left only to be given a yellow card for theatrics instead of a deserved penalty. In the game's waning moments the South Americans pressed forward deliberately but failed to tie the match when Velasquez's blast hit the cross bar rather than the back of the net.

Next up for les Bleus is first place Japan, which humbled New Zealand earlier in the day. Colombia will be looking for their first goal in over a year against the Kiwis on Friday.
Andrew Giffen

soccerage

Last edited by Carson35; June 19th, 2003 at 04:26.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2003, 06:53
Star Player

Colombia played much better than expected. I have no doubt in saying that right now they best defense of any South American team. BTW the PK was pure BS. But hey first game and against the host, no complains there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2003, 07:06
International

Teams: Boca Juniors & Argentina
I agree with you Gabemar. No doubt that the penalty was a pure joke..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in