poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: '09
[DFB Pokal - quarter final] BVB vs TSG Hoffenheim

Tuesday, 07.04.2015
kick-off: 20:30

vs

When asked in the run-up to Tuesday's DFB Cup quarter final (kick-off 20:30 CET) against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim whether the competition would offer his side a platform to end their season on a high note, Jürgen Klopp's answer was resounding: "Yes! The Cup is incredibly important and I want to see that reflected in our game tomorrow."
image Jürgen Klopp

In recent years his charges have always taken the Cup seriously - an indispensable mentality when playing in such a knockout competition. And this season's Cup run has seen Borussia Dortmund brush aside the Stuttgarter Kickers (4-1), FC St. Pauli (3-0) and Dynamo Dresden (2-0) en route to the quarter-finals of the tournament, with Hoffenheim now representing the next challenge on the road to the Berlin showpiece. "Their highly talented team can hardly be described as a dream draw," Klopp declared, before adding: "But it's the task ahead of us."

Last Saturday's Bundesliga encounter with Mönchengladbach saw the Blue and Whites open the scoring before slumping to a 4-1 defeat. But Klopp does not believe the result will have affected their confidence. TSG currently occupy seventh place in the league table, a position which puts the club in contention for a European berth next season.
"One of our few really good games before the winter break"
image BVB's Neven Subotic beats Hoffenheim's Modeste to a header

Hoffenheim will travel to Dortmund for the second time this season, having already lost a Bundesliga encounter at the beginning of December 1-0 through an Ilkay Gündogan strike. Klopp and his coaching staff will surely analyse the match before Tuesday's Cup tie begins. "Hoffenheim's style of play hasn't exactly changed drastically, and we had one of our few really good games before the winter break against them," recalled the BVB coach.

A repeat of December's result would see Klopp's men qualify for the semi-final, with at least one goal required in a knockout match. Such a feat is easier said than done though, with BVB failing to find the net in four of their last five games across all competitions. When asked about his side's difficulties in front of goal, Klopp responded: "We're not worried, but it's on our mind." However, the coach does not consider Saturday's defeat to Bayern Munich as an attacking failure due to their opponents' defensive mindset, saying: "It's normal to not create 20 chances in a match like that." But he did admit: "We had our chances and we were in and around the penalty area on many occasions."

In general terms, the team needs to show more consistency and clarity in front of goal: "We're often lacking in decisiveness when we get into those dangerous areas. It's about how we act around the penalty area. It's a real footballing cliché that you can't score if you don't shoot. So in such situations, we really need to get in more shots at goal."

source: bvb.de

Homer J. Simpson‏
Work time goes so slow and Moe's time goes so fast. If I worked at Moe's, would the universe collapse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 10:54
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Of course, as this is the only competition left Dortmund has. So of course it is the only chance to end the season not completely and utterly horrible.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 13:29 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

difficult game as Hoffenheim has exactly the right weapons to harm us at home. quick and straight forward approach on the counters... of course Gladbach exposed their weaknesses as well during the 4-1 but Gladbachs gameplays were just brilliant that day.

Homer J. Simpson‏
Work time goes so slow and Moe's time goes so fast. If I worked at Moe's, would the universe collapse?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 18:54
Forum Manager
Star Player

Starting lineup, confirmed:

Langerak
Durm - Sokratis - Subotic - Schmelzer
Gundogan - Bender
Blaszcykowski - Kagawa - Mkhitaryan
Aubameyang

Bench: Weidenfeller, Ginter, Kehl, Grosskreutz, Kampl, Immobile, Ramos

Interesting, neither Hummels or Reus in the squad. Didn't read anything about injuries to either of them so this seems to be a technical decision from Klopp. Unless I'm missing something here.

Immobile not fit enough to start but I would have liked to see Ramos up top instead of Aubameyang who's been pretty below par for awhile now in that position. The right side looks good though, hopefully will supply the width that's very much needed in this team. Miki starts over Kampl, important game for him in Reus' absence, hopefully he can deliver.

Won't be easy but I'm hopeful that we'll win, we played one of our best games of the season against them before winter break at a time when we were bottom of the league. Granted we aren't THAT much better than we were then, but we've still improved enough to say that we should be favorites for this one. The Reus and Hummels absences make me a bit more worried though, hopefully we can get through this even without them.

EDIT: Commentator just said that both have slight groin problems and are sitting out due to precaution, nothing to worry about thankfully.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)

Last edited by Azulgrana; April 7th, 2015 at 19:34.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 20:17
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Teams: JUVENTUS, AJAX
Hoffenheim up 2-1 at HT after Subotic gave Dortmund lead

"I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 20:26
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer87 View Post
Hoffenheim up 2-1 at HT after Subotic gave Dortmund lead
Subotic also gave Hoffenheim the lead. Absolutely pathetic mistake leading to their second goal. The first goal was comical defending as well, no one even near Volland who had all the time to pick his spot with a half volley from a corner.

Team wasn't playing that bad up until that second Hoffe goal, now it's going to be a mountain to climb. Only saving grace is that Hoffenheim don't play like other German teams and will leave spaces behind for counters, but still need to take our chances or we're going out here.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 20:31
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Teams: JUVENTUS, AJAX
yee Subotic is rather mediocre!

"I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 21:47
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Nice goal by Kehl. I returned home just in time for the extra-time. p

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2015, 22:10
Forum Manager
Star Player

Sebastian f*cking Kehl everyone. What a moment.

Very entertaining game of football, there wasn't a whole lot of quality play as both sides made plenty of mistakes but it sure was an entertaining match. Honestly should have won this without the need of extra time as they scored on their only real chances which were gifted by the defense.

Important that we got through somehow in the end and now we can look forward to a cup semifinal again, especially as Piszczek, Hummels, Sahin, and Reus should all be back by then so we'll be stronger. Finally some reason to be happy with the team again, these kind of moments have been few and far between this season so I'll definitely be enjoying this one for the rest of the day.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2015, 05:13
Forum Manager
Star Player

He scores maybe 1 goal a season and boy are they worth the wait.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2015, 06:24 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

his first goal for the BVB in DFB Pokal. pure passion and emotion when he was celebrating his goal. Klopp said in an interview afterwards: "yes, that was a cool clearance by Seb"

Subotic returned strong in second half and you could see that the Hoffenheim trio Schipplock, Volland and Firmino were a bit exhausted after the first 45 minutes where they pressed brilliantly. i think all in all we deserved to go through, Mhkytarian again with an unlucky game, could have scored one as well.
Eric Durm had a good comeback into the line-up, assisting the equalizer from PEA.

Homer J. Simpson‏
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2015, 06:25 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulgrana View Post
He scores maybe 1 goal a season and boy are they worth the wait.

Homer J. Simpson‏

Last edited by Michinho; April 8th, 2015 at 06:32.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2015, 11:40 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

reactions:

Sebastian Kehl was still a Freiburg player when he scored his last goal in the DFB Cup more than 14 years ago. He followed up that strike with another for BVB in tonight's 3-2 win over Hoffenheim - and what a strike it was. Here are the reactions to the game.

Michael Zorc: "It was a very emotional evening of Cup action. Compliments to our fans, who really drove our team forward when we were 2-1 down tonight. Overall, we were one goal better than them, so ultimately it's deserved. We fought 100% tonight and the players really pushed themselves to their limits. We made a bright start to the match, then conceded two stupid goals to fall behind - but we still managed to stay calm. The winning goal was a wonderful strike from Sebastian Kehl. I don't know if he's ever scored a goal quite like that one. A super strike. Qualification was very good for our souls."

Sebastian Kehl: "It was an extremely emotional and aggressive match. I can actually hit a dropping ball pretty well. But I was a bit lucky that the ball flew like that and then hit the inside of the post. The DFB Cup now represents our only chance of silverware this season, and of course I still dream of making it to the final in Berlin once again. Let's see who we're drawn against in the next round. Hopefully it'll be another home game."

Erik Durm: "This Cup match was quite special for us. Without the support of the fans, we wouldn't have qualified for the semi-finals. It was a super match with a super finish. We're happy. We threw ourselves into everything and never stopped trying to get the ball forwards. The fact that we overturned a 2-1 deficit speaks volumes for the team. Our qualification is highly deserved. You don't see goals like Kehli's every day. He came on as a sub, cleared up all the loose balls and then scored a goal like that."

Homer J. Simpson‏

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in