poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: '09
[DFB Pokal - 2nd Round] St. Pauli vs BVB

Stadium: Millerntor-Stadion, Hamburg-St. Pauli

Probable line-ups:

ST PAULI
Tschauner - Startsev, Gonther, L. Sobiech, Schachten - Kurt, Alushi - Rzatkowski, Daube, Maier - Verhoek
Meggle

BORUSSIA DORTMUND
Weidenfeller - Piszczek, Sokratis, Hummels,
Großkreutz - S. Bender, Kehl - H. Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Reus - Aubameyang

After beating the Stuttgarter Kickers 1-4, the BVB faces St Pauli tonight and is clear favorite in this match. The hosts find themselves on position 16 of the 2. Bundesliga while Dortmund is also struggling to perform like they intend to do. Klopp seems to rotate again, giving Gündogan a break after the match against Hannover on the weekend. Still open who will fill the spot upfront.

Homer J. Simpson‏
Work time goes so slow and Moe's time goes so fast. If I worked at Moe's, would the universe collapse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 09:37
Xtratime Legend

BVB will probably win 9-0 here and then struggle on the weekend, again. :shakepalm:

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 09:52 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

it's bayern and gladbach as next opponents in the league, so it is not far-fetched to struggle unfortunately...

Homer J. Simpson‏
Work time goes so slow and Moe's time goes so fast. If I worked at Moe's, would the universe collapse?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 14:56 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

pre-match commenty by Jürgen Klopp

When the lights go on at Millerntor on Tuesday night, Borussia Dortmund will enter the DFB Cup tie on the back of two positive runs: they have won five of their six evening games this season (no defeat!), and the last time they lost at FC St. Pauli was in 1989, winning the last five at the Hamburg club.

“St. Pauli are our challenge. We want to overcome it. Nothing else matters!” demanded Jürgen Klopp in the build-up to the second-round DFB Cup tie at second division FC St. Pauli on Tuesday night (kick-off: 2030 CET).

Due to Borussia Dortmund’s current schedule of the three matches a week, the BVB coach admitted that he has lost track of who is fit and who is not fit. He said, “Let’s see who’s available, and then we get ourselves into the next round.” Klopp confirmed that there have been no new injury concerns but has already hinted that he would make some changes as “some of the lads are overworked, and we just can’t let them play every game.”

Klopp insisted that patience will be required against St. Pauli, currently 16th in the second division, a side that will likely defend in numbers. But, as Klopp knows, “It’s actually possible to create chances against deep-sitting opponents. We only have to take them. Sometimes we lack the necessary composure, sometimes the necessary clinical edge.” All of that paired with a “decent defensive display” could be the key to victory on Tuesday – and progress to the last 16!

Not surprisingly, Borussia’s poor start to the Bundesliga season was the dominant issue at the pre-match conference on Monday. Looking ahead, Klopp said, “I want to further improve the things that have already improved. The goal is to win games, starting with the one tomorrow.”

source: bvb.de

Homer J. Simpson‏
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 19:56
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
Azulgrana asked me if I'd object and I said "no, go ahead and ask the admins". I guess that is what he did then.
Yes, that's exactly what happened and they were more than willing to oblige. After some time of effort and patience, a BVB forum was finally set up for all of us to enjoy. :thmbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
BVB will probably win 9-0 here and then struggle on the weekend, again. :shakepalm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michinho View Post
it's bayern and gladbach as next opponents in the league, so it is not far-fetched to struggle unfortunately...
More likely that BVB struggle to win but get the job done tonight, put up one of the performances of the season away to Bayern, thrash Gala, and then lose at home to Gladbach.

It's one of those kind of seasons it seems...:undecide:

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 20:01
Forum Manager
Star Player

Starting lineup, confirmed:

Langerak
Sokratis - Subotic - Hummels - Durm
Mkhitaryan - Kehl
Grosskreutz - Kagawa - Reus
Immobile

Bench: Weidenfeller, Piszczek, Ginter, Bender, Maruoka, Jojic, Ramos

Sokratis starting on the right of Neven and Mats this time after starting on the left last week in Turkey, Heno in central midfield it appears on paper alongside Kehl with Grosskreutz taking up a spot on the wings, and Immobile at last returns to the starting lineup. Weidenfeller, Bender, and Piszczek all rested, Gundogan and Aubameyang not even in the squad tonight.

Should be a win here really, St. Pauli are languishing in mid-table of the 2. BuLi so far this year and it's a cup game where apparently the team seems to come more to life from what we've seen in the past few months.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2014, 20:30
Forum Manager
Star Player

Actually, according to my feed, the lineup is actually a 3-3-3-1 formation:

Langerak
Sokratis - Subotic - Hummels
Grosskreutz - Kehl - Durm
Mkhitaryan - Kagawa - Reus
Immobile

Interesting to see how this pans out, hopefully better than Klopp's past "experiments"...

EDIT: Actually it looks like Grosskreutz has started on the left wing with Durm behind him and Sokratis as the RB. No idea what the actual formation is so far.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)

Last edited by Azulgrana; October 28th, 2014 at 20:37.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2014, 03:32
Forum Manager
Star Player

St. Pauli 0:3 Borussia Dortmund

Relatively easy win, St. Pauli didn't create any danger apart from one set piece which Langerak was well alert for to save the header. Good for Immobile's confidence (had another wrongly disallowed too) to get a goal, nice finishes from Kagawa and Reus as well, but this was a game of many mistakes and turnovers. The change of system had something to do with it of course, but this isn't the first game that simple possession is being thrown away by some players and that it could have cost the team. Luckily, the opponent this time wasn't good enough to punish the errors but the one they meet this weekend certainly will if any are made.

Through to the last 16 of the Pokal and almost through in the CL, things are certainly flying high in the cups. Now it's time to get the league campaign back on track one way or another.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2014, 09:30 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

solid victory, of course nothing else was expected even with the current form in the league.

all goals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbk2B-o50U

but now we need to concentrate on the match versus Bayern and bring the points home to the signal iduna park. will be interesting which players that were rested yesterday will make it to the starting line-up this weekend. Hope Klopp will stabilize the midfield with playing Bender and Kehl, maybe supported by Gündogan instead of Kagawa.

Homer J. Simpson‏

Last edited by Michinho; October 29th, 2014 at 09:45.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2014, 12:32 Thread Starter
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

some reactions after the match

Mats Hummels: “The second half wasn’t as good as the first one, but it was important to progress. All in all a commanding performance from us. We’ve never had to go through anything like this, it dents your confidence. But today we’ve taken a great step forward. We are having a great game on Saturday. It’s a great challenge, but if there’s one game to gain confidence, it’s the one against Bayern.”

Kevin Grosskreutz: “We played very well, especially in the first half. In the second half we struggled to get our tackles in. It’s a good result; we are through to the next round. We are a team that support each other in good and bad times. This victory was important for Saturday when we try to give Bayern a hard time.”

Thomas Meggle (St. Pauli coach): “I can’t criticise the team for losing against Dortmund. The first half was crucial as we wanted to force them into more tackles and create a much more heated atmosphere. We had too much respect in the first half, didn’t press enough and let them play. And if you give Dortmund room to play, they’ll do what they do best – one-touch football. In the second half we were then able to force them into more tackles, and had we pulled one back, things might have gone different.”

Jürgen Klopp: “With the result and the first half, which was really good, I’m very happy. With the second half, I cannot be happy. We didn’t do everything right, but we were clearly dominant. We approached the game properly and had to work hard for certain things. We lacked composure in the second half, didn’t play enough football. That wasn’t so good, we can do better, but today was a step in the right direction.”

Florian Kringe: “It was good to play. It was a great experience for me. Unfortunately, we were much too cautious, especially at the start. But as the game wore on, we started to get a foothold, especially at the start of the second half, and we grew in confidence. BVB are strong side, and we did well in keeping the game close for a long time.”

Homer J. Simpson‏

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in