[BL - matchday 8] 1.FC Köln vs BVB - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 08:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

[BL - matchday 8] 1.FC Köln vs BVB

Big game away to Koln today. Having started with just 7 points from 7 matches this season, that makes every match coming up very important to recover some of the ground the team has lost on those at the top of the table and this one is no exception.

Lots of good news have happened over the international break. Reus, Mkhitaryan, and Gundogan are all finally fit to play again while Kehl and Bender have also shaken off knocks and will be available. Kirch has returned to training too, but won't be able to play this one whilst Schmelzer, Blaszcykowski, and Sahin are still out for a few more weeks. Most importantly above all though, the team has worked a lot on the aspect of physical fitness over the break and Klopp insists that the team has taken a huge step forward in this regard, which will be key to any success over the season of course when considering the demands of the team's style of play.

The last month or so in the league has been close to disastrous with just 1 win achieved in the last 5 matches, but fortunes could turn around now that most of the big names up front are fit to play again. The excuses have run out now and the season really starts here as far as the Bundesliga is concerned for Dortmund. It's time for a revival.

Not sure what the lineup could be, don't think Ilkay will play too much in his first official game in 14 months apart from a second half cameo perhaps, the rest should be ready to go though. Maybe something like this:

Weidenfeller
Piszczek - Sokratis - Hummels - Durm
Bender - Kehl
Aubameyang - Mkhitaryan - Reus
Immobile

Looking for a strong reaction from the team today, cautiously optimistic about how the season could turn if a win is achieved here at a tough ground.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 13:23
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Easy win I think. Köln is struggling themselves and does not nearly have the same quality.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 15:33
Xtratime Legend

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 15:52
International

What's going on with Borussia? They are doing even worse than last season at this point.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 15:53
Premier Player

Immobile and the midfield aren't clicking. Also it's the first time Heno, Gundogan and Kagawa are playing together.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 16:02
International

This season is pretty much done already. :thmbdown:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 16:02
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Osako assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 16:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Dortmund is really on target to reach the level of a certain Munich club at the moment.

It is not Bayern though but 1860...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 17:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Koln 2:1 Borussia Dortmund

Their winner was offside, but it doesn't matter because that was yet another appalling display from the team where nothing looked different from before the break. The players can't string more than 2 passes together in the final third, the defense continues to make game-costing errors, and overall the team just looks toothless. There's no backbone in the side anymore, once they go a goal down it's pretty much game over the way things have been going this year.

Klopp has run out of excuses now. He's got his main players back and yet nothing has changed. What's he to say now, that Blaszcykowski and Sahin will come back and save the day? The problems are clearly tactical, how he is able to see the defense concede such cheap goals every week and not change anything is just beyond me. It seems like he is finally dragging Dortmund down with his stubbornness and lack of a Plan B, this is the same way he brought Mainz down over half a decade ago. And guess where they ended up in the end with Klopp? The 2. Bundesliga...

It doesn't really just frustrate me that the team is unable to win games, but that they keep making the same mistakes and losing to inferior opponents without any changes whatsoever. Klopp talks so much about improvement being needed and yet I don't see any on our past few games. And for those who think Dortmund is one of the most exciting teams in Europe, that was 2-3 years ago and this team is only capable of playing like that against the best sides in Europe. Against your average Bundesliga team that defends deep and in numbers, this team is probably one of the last teams you'd want to watch.

Not sure where things go from here in the league, at home to Gladbach and away to Bayern in the next two games. The team is in terrible form and hasn't kept a clean sheet all season in the league while those two sides are unbeaten. And if the worst comes to fruition in the next 14 days, BVB could already be 14 points off of fourth place and almost certainties to miss out on CL football next year which will also probably mean Reus, Hummels, and Gundogan all leave. Things are not looking good at all at the moment and I'm not sure if there will be a fix to this problem knowing Klopp and how stubborn he is.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 17:53
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulgrana View Post
Koln 2:1 Borussia Dortmund

Their winner was offside, but it doesn't matter because that was yet another appalling display from the team where nothing looked different from before the break. The players can't string more than 2 passes together in the final third, the defense continues to make game-costing errors, and overall the team just looks toothless. There's no backbone in the side anymore, once they go a goal down it's pretty much game over the way things have been going this year.

Klopp has run out of excuses now. He's got his main players back and yet nothing has changed. What's he to say now, that Blaszcykowski and Sahin will come back and save the day? The problems are clearly tactical, how he is able to see the defense concede such cheap goals every week and not change anything is just beyond me. It seems like he is finally dragging Dortmund down with his stubbornness and lack of a Plan B, this is the same way he brought Mainz down over half a decade ago. And guess where they ended up in the end with Klopp? The 2. Bundesliga...

It doesn't really just frustrate me that the team is unable to win games, but that they keep making the same mistakes and losing to inferior opponents without any changes whatsoever. Klopp talks so much about improvement being needed and yet I don't see any on our past few games. And for those who think Dortmund is one of the most exciting teams in Europe, that was 2-3 years ago and this team is only capable of playing like that against the best sides in Europe. Against your average Bundesliga team that defends deep and in numbers, this team is probably one of the last teams you'd want to watch.

Not sure where things go from here in the league, at home to Gladbach and away to Bayern in the next two games. The team is in terrible form and hasn't kept a clean sheet all season in the league while those two sides are unbeaten. And if the worst comes to fruition in the next 14 days, BVB could already be 14 points off of fourth place and almost certainties to miss out on CL football next year which will also probably mean Reus, Hummels, and Gundogan all leave. Things are not looking good at all at the moment and I'm not sure if there will be a fix to this problem knowing Klopp and how stubborn he is.

All was said, such a difficult situation. I didn't expect things to get that bad.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 17:59
Premier Player

No worries, Gala on wednesday, and BvB know how to step it up in important games.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 18:19
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Teams: JUVENTUS, AJAX
Crazy! Probably go and beat Gala 3-0 midweek now!

"I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 18:36
Premier Player

Do you guys honestly think Hummels is a good player?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 18:37
Forum Manager
Legend

But Galatasaray is probably worse than Köln so that wouldn't be any surprise.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 18:50 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
No worries, Gala on wednesday, and BvB know how to step it up in important games.
More like Galatasaray like most other European teams Dortmund face will be naïve and will try to attack which will leave themselves open at the back which BVB are experts at exploiting. Any team that defends deep and plays on the counter will beat Dortmund now, it's that easy in the current situation. Almost every team in Germany does it and has succeeded with it, except for Bayern who Dortmund have a better chance of beating than Mainz and Koln for example, funnily enough.

Watching this Istanbul derby right now though and jeez, I don't know who's worse at the moment from GS and BVB. Two teams very much out of form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Do you guys honestly think Hummels is a good player?
I think he was a bit overrated in the past as to just how good he really was, but he is still a very good and important player for this team. His buildup play from the back and ball retention skills were essential to the team's successes in the past. The main problems with him are that he's slow and prone to making a stupid David Luiz type of mistake by stepping up out of defense and leaving things open at the back. The first goal today is the perfect example of that.

I've definitely resigned myself to the fact that Reus will leave next summer no matter what now. If the team doesn't at least finish in the top 4, I can't see Hummels, PEA, or Gundogan staying either. Klopp surely has to go as well if he is unable to change and rebuild the squad again.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2014, 19:41
International

I expect Dortmund to continue to perform well in the CL and top their group comfortably. The problem will be once bigger challenges arise such as Real, Barca and even maybe Chelsea.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2014, 08:28
poco loco
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: '09
cant say much right now as i was not able to watch the whole match. the goals were both pathetic and as azulgrana already said we really are in trouble if plan a is not working. of course it is a matter of confidence and players like Reus/Mhkitaryan/Gündogan have to get in shape first but cant afford to drop more points in the coming weeks.

Homer J. Simpson‏
Work time goes so slow and Moe's time goes so fast. If I worked at Moe's, would the universe collapse?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2014, 00:48
International

The problem is the defense, Dortmund is giving up way too many goals. Schmelzer and co have been playing like a bunch of amateurs lately.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
But Galatasaray is probably worse than Köln so that wouldn't be any surprise.
Tada...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in