FIFA U-20 World Cup 2011 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 651 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2011, 09:38 Thread Starter
Legend

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2011

The draw:

Group A: Colombia, France, Mali, South Korea

The hosts look to have a tough group and will most likely struggle to get into the first two places. Will most likely have to rely on third best finish to progress. France and S.Korea looking the favs for top two.

Group B: Portugal, Uruguay, Cameroon, Oceania (TBD)

Portugal and Uruguay look the best on paper and would be expected to fill the first two places.

Group C: Australia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain.

Not a bad group for Spain would be expected to go through with Ecuador.

Group D: Croatia, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Guatemala

Croatia and Nigeria most likely to advance.

Group E: Brazil, Egypt, Austria, Panama

Nice group for Brazil. Should top it. Egypt possibly for second place. Not sure of the strength of this Austrian side.

Group F: Argentina, Mexico, England, North Korea

The killer group. Argentina, Mexico and England all paired together. The Koreans could be difficult opponents too. The Mexicans will not have the rivalry to care about with England unlike the Argies so would make them the favs to top the group with Argentina and England fighting it out for second place.

All kicks off on the 29 July.

Last edited by Maturin; April 28th, 2011 at 09:44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 651 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2011, 17:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Group A is only second behind Group F in terms of toughness. France, South Korea and Mali usually do well at youth levels and Colombia, while on paper maybe not strong, will have the home support as they seem enthusiastic about this tournament

Group B is tricky, though I was not convinced with Portugal in the European U19 Championships. New Zealand/Solomon Islands probably won't do too much damage either. Again, I tend to rate the African sides in this tournament more highly than I would at a senior World Cup

Group C should be a walk for Spain, the other three in my opinion all have equal chances at second

Group D is the group of life. I didn't watch the draw live but when I saw Croatia got this group I was shocked. Guatemala did eliminate the USA and this draw was front page news over there, but I don't know if they can handle Nigeria and Croatia. Not sure about the Saudi's either

Group E: Brazil and Egypt for me, Austria did eliminate Netherlands from this competition but they didn't have an overly impressive U19 Euros. Panama will be whipping boys I'm afraid

Group F is the 'group of death' on paper, but I'm not sure England will bring their strongest team. The last U20 World Cup they barely brought a "B" squad. Argentina vs. Mexico should be good and the North Koreans are always tricky
post #3 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 02:19
Star Player

Is there a website of this tournament with squads and stuff?

post #4 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 02:40
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Not yet, teams didn't call the squads yet.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #5 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 05:18
Forum Manager
International

About Argentina...

I am not as optimistic as I was for the previous editions. The squad is pretty underwhelming if compared to the 07 one.

Player to watch out for? obviously Erik Lamela.

Besides him though, I am not really too pumped up about others. Maybe Roberto Pereyra. The likes of Lanzini, Iturbe, Hoyos and others are fine talents, but haven't shown too much to be too excited about.

Probably Pezzella will show his class among defenders. Battaglia could be a pleasant surprise if given enough minutes.
post #6 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 06:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
I have looked at the last French side selected, squad is influenced a lot by Olympique Lyonnais Lacazette, Grenier, Kolodziejczack or Enzo Reale. There is also Gael Kakuta and Yanis Tafer or even Gilles Sunu. Pretty interesting squad. I just don't know the keepers...
post #7 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 07:12
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Thats a great side, they were my favs to win all along in that U-19 tourny since day 1, really loved how that team played there and they're really deep, and they're together for quite a while now. Really nice to see them grow up like that since that U-17 Euro in 08. If they meet Spain in another final in this one it'll be awesome. Really are arch rivals 1-1 between them so far.

I hope my boy Bakambu is still there doing his thing, was my fav player on that team, even though they always got him off the bench. Fofana was great aswell - are those guys actually playing in thier clubs btw?

That team is just full of jets though.. thier athletic ability was just outstanding.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

Last edited by Stanko 05; April 29th, 2011 at 07:55.
post #8 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 13:51 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Group B Again, I tend to rate the African sides in this tournament more highly than I would at a senior World Cup

Group C should be a walk for Spain, the other three in my opinion all have equal chances at second

Group F is the 'group of death' on paper, but I'm not sure England will bring their strongest team. The last U20 World Cup they barely brought a "B" squad. Argentina vs. Mexico should be good and the North Koreans are always tricky
Watched some of the African Youth Championship and really this set of current teams are absolutely nothing compared to Ghana two years ago. They can be competitive for sure but they really look a level down from when Ghana made history and became the first African side to win U20 World Cup.

Ecuador were very decent in the South American qualifying. Not a top team but pretty good. Would make them clear favs to get second spot.

Maybe it is just words but there was talk of English youth teams taking these sort of competitions much more seriously than in the past citing Spain as an example of getting that winning mentality at this level and then that progressing onto senior level. Remains to be seen whether they back up those previous comments but if they do and send their best possible side then they will be competitive in that group for sure.
post #9 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 14:12
Star Player

Teams: Milan
F*ck, we're kicking off against Brazil & it's not just our first game, it's the tourney's inaugural

Neymar against Hegazy is one daunting scene already....

We're very average btw, extremely if I'm being blatantly honest.

No expectations..No disappointments
post #10 of 651 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 19:57
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Doubt Neymar will play with the U-20 side tho.. the Copa America is at around the same time.

post #11 of 651 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 00:57
Premier Player

This tournament is barely heard of/mentioned in England. It kind of shows where we are when it comes to youth development. The last one we sent a really poor squad after something like 40 players withdraw from the squad. Am I right in saying that globally, this tournament is pretty big?
post #12 of 651 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 02:07
Canonized
Xtratime Legend

Teams: TIMAO & Selecao Canarinha
When is the tournament starting?
post #13 of 651 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 06:00 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernoatcake View Post
This tournament is barely heard of/mentioned in England. It kind of shows where we are when it comes to youth development. The last one we sent a really poor squad after something like 40 players withdraw from the squad. Am I right in saying that globally, this tournament is pretty big?
It's respected much more in other countries than in England but as you said that is England's problem. As mentioned before there were noises that the youth teams were going to actually get in line with the rest of the world and actually compete seriously at youth levels now instead of being unhealthily focused on the big money EPL all the time. The FA are so weak in regards to EPL clubs which is a shame. Would be beneficial to english football in the long run to get in line with the rest.

Last edited by Maturin; April 30th, 2011 at 06:11.
post #14 of 651 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 06:15
Forum Manager
Legend

Love the tournament logo, this is not cliché at all. If it was held in France we would have a frog's leg kicking a ball.
post #15 of 651 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 20:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernoatcake View Post
Am I right in saying that globally, this tournament is pretty big?
I know its a special circumstance, but in Guatemala the draw was front page news (only because its their first ever tournament). But in general as well, it is considered a big deal, especially outside of Europe. I mean even in Croatia, who don't qualify for these tournaments everyday it barely got mentioned with the exception of an article explaining their draw and the tourney format. It won't help that in Europe most of these games will be in the early morning hours (better for us in North America though)

Tournament starts on July 29 and ends August 20, this means it will interfere with some European leagues.
post #16 of 651 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2011, 10:27
Forum Manager
Legend

France squad list for the U20 world cup :

Goalkeepers :
Pierrick Cros (Sochaux)
Benjamin Lecomte (Lorient)
Jonathan Ligali (Montpellier)

Defenders :
Lionel Carole (Benfica/ POR)
Maxime Colin (Boulogne-sur-Mer)
Sébastien Faure (Lyon)
Timothée Kolodziejczak (Lyon)
Johan Martial (Brest)
Chris Mavinga (Genk/ BEL)
Loïc Nego (Nantes)

Midfielders :
Francis Coquelin (Lorient)
Gueida Fofana (Le Havre)
Florian Lejeune (Istres)
Enzo Reale (Lyon)

Strikers :

Cédric Bakambu (Sochaux)
Clément Grenier (Lyon)
Antoine Griezmann (Real Sociedad/ ESP)
Gaël Kakuta (Fulham/ ANG)
Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon)
Gilles Sunu (Lorient)
Yannis Tafer (Toulouse).

Last edited by Fobal klub; June 12th, 2011 at 09:38.
post #17 of 651 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2011, 12:30
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

It's pretty much the same core of players from what I can remember though, offensively it's exactly the same(Bakambu)

post #18 of 651 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2011, 15:44
WFA
Rei Brasileiro
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Brasil NT, Palmeiras
Brasil:

Goleiros
Aleksander - Avaí
Cesar - Flamengo
Gabriel - Cruzeiro

Zagueiros (CBs)
Bruno Uvini - São Paulo
Frauches - Flamengo
Juan - Internacional
Romário - Internacional

Laterais (RBs/LBs)
Alex Sandro - Santos
Danilo - Santos
Gabriel Silva - Palmeiras
Galhardo - Flamengo

Volantes e meias (Midfield)
Allan - Vasco
Casemiro - São Paulo
Fernando - Grêmio
Alan Patrick - Santos
Dudu - Cruzeiro
Felipe Anderson - Santos
Oscar - Internacional
Philippe Coutinho - Inter de Milão
Roni - Criciúma

Atacantes
Diego Maurício - Flamengo
Henrique - São Paulo
Negueba - Flamengo
Roberto Firmino - Hoffenhein-ALE
Willian José - São Paulo
Sebá - Cruzeiro

Where were you when we lost 1-7?
post #19 of 651 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2011, 16:38
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Still can't believe Wellington got snubbed... him and Casemiro are prolly the best midfield partnership in the Brasilerao right now both eligable to play in the tournement and he doesn't get a call.

Carpengiani crying in the press sure did the trick lol.

post #20 of 651 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2011, 02:00
Rookie

Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in