Xtratime Community banner

Derby County Academy

3K views 45 replies 5 participants last post by  jimbo jones 
#1 ·
I'm guessing there should be a thread about the Derby County youth teams, as they have been providing some good players for the first team recently and they tend to do well in competitions across England.

Anyway, Derby County have drawn either Doncaster Rovers or Hartlepool in the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup.

This the the squad, maybe Jimbo or Durkos or the guys living in Derby can name some more players

Ross Atkins, Jason Beardsley, Mark Dudley, Matt Richards, Theo Streete (on loan at Doncaster) Miles Addison, Alex Fleming, Mario Loesch, Jordan Mutch, Paris Simmons, Robert Ujcik Karl Ashton, James Meredith, Tyrone Shepard, Jake Kean, Alex Forde, Mitch Hanson, Stephen Cann, Greg Mills

*Matt Richards, Karl Ashton and Ross Atkins play for the England U18's
*Robert Ujcik plays for the Slovakian U19's
*Mark Dudley seems the be a talented left-back, he trained for Manchester United but he did not sign which surprised people, he wound up at Derby

#2 ·
You don't hear as much about the youth players as you used too, now we don't have any reserves.

But our academy has got a lot better, a Derby player getting picked for an England youth team, used to be a massive thing, now it's a regular thing, which is good too see.

Richards and Ashton are the too I'm waiting for too try and break through, and Lionel Ainsworth who's on loan at Bournemouth.

#3 ·
Derby County will travel to Doncaster Rovers in the third round of the FA Youth Cup.

Rovers saw off Hartlepool United after an epic penalty shoot-out for the right to host the Rams.

The Earth Stadium encounter had finished 1-1 after normal time and a further 30 minutes failed to separate the two sides, so it was down to spot-kicks.

And an amazing 28 shots later the tie was over when Rovers' Waide Fairhurst netted the winning strike to send his side through 12-11.

#4 ·
Rams Academy midfielder Matt Richards will today celebrate his 17th birthday by signing a two-and-a-half year pro contract with the club.

The first year scholar and England U17 international is pictured with managing director Mike Horton and manager Billy Davis penning the deal that keeps him with the club until the summer of 2009.

The Derby-born player said: "To sign professional forms is a dream come true. And to do it at my home-town club, on my birthday, makes it extra special.

#5 ·
I think since the new Training facility has been built, the youngsters have really started to develop and improve big time... we are constantly making good players in the likes of Huddlestone, Camp, Grant and Barnes etc, lets hope this good traditon carries on at Pride Park!!

#7 ·
Skipper Matt Richards led the way with a double as the Rams' U18 side made it through to round four of the FA Youth Cup after a 4-2 extra-time win over Doncaster Rovers.

Richards, who recently signed his first professional contract with the club, netted his first goal of the night six minutes before the break as Derby dominated the first half.

The visitors were rocked just after the hour when Doncaster equalised, but striker Karl Ashton headed home a 76th-minute corner from Richards to restore their lead.

It looked like the Rams would go through in normal time but Rovers - who had beaten Hartlepool after extra-time and an epic penalty shoot-out in the last round - equalised with two minutes left.

But the extra 30 minutes saw Derby take control and they were back in front again on 100 when Richards drove home a low shot.

And it was game over on 110 when full-back David Wood made it 4-2.

Derby now await the draw for the fourth round and will be looking to pass last season's achievement, when they reached the same stage only to go out away to Blackburn Rovers.

RAMS: Ross Atkins, Jason Beardsley, David Wood, Matt Richards (C), Miles Addison, Mark Dudley, Paris Simmons (Robert Ujcik 98), Mario Loesch, Karl Ashton, Alex Fleming, Mitch Hanson.

SUBS: Anthony Robertson, Tyron Shepherd, Jake Kean

#8 ·
Good too see Richards leading the way and Ashton with a goal. Like I've already said these are the 2 I'm expect to be the next too break through.

#10 ·
The Rams' reward for Tuesday's FA Youth Cup victory at Doncaster Rovers is a home tie against Barnsley or Leyton Orient in the fourth round.

A double from skipper Matt Richards and goals from Karl Ashton and David Wood saw the U18 side get past Rovers with a 4-2 win after extra time.

Now they are awaiting the outcome of the game between Barnsley and Orient, which takes place on December 13, to find out who they face in the next round.

The game will be played at Pride Park Stadium on a date yet to be confirmed.

You'd think we should be beating either of those two.

#13 ·
It's up there with the best now I think, just behind the leading ones, easily in the top 10.

#14 ·
Barnsley will visit Pride Park Stadium in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup after seeing off Leyton Orient on Wednesday night.

The Tykes won 2-0 at Oakwell in their third round encounter for the right to take on Derby's U18 team in the next stage.

Derby reached the fourth round thanks to a 4-2 extra-time win at Doncaster Rovers last time out.

Last season they were beaten at this stage by Blackburn Rovers, 2-1 at Ewood Park.

Hopefully we will win, I'd be disappointed if we didn't.

#15 ·
Defender Theo Streete, who had been on loan at Doncaster Rovers, has been released after the expiry of his short-term professional deal with the Rams after he graduated from the Academy last summer.

Fellow Academy product Tom Cumberworth, meanwhile, will stay with the club for another six months in a bid to earn himself a longer deal.

Midfielder Cumberworth's scholarship was disrupted by injury and he signed professional at the same time as Streete, only to again pick up a serious knee injury that has kept him out of action since August

#16 ·
2007 got off to a losing start for the Rams' U18 boys but their performance made a mockery of the 3-1 scoreline as they went down at Leeds United.

Derby put in one of their best performances of the season in terms of the way they applied themselves and created chances but slipped up as individual errors were punished.

"The boys played really well, as good as they have played all season, but three individual errors led to the three goals," Academy manager Kevin Thelwell told www.dcfc.co.uk.

"We were never going to score four goals away from home to win the game.

"It was disappointing from an individual error point of view but in terms of the general play, the quality of the chances we created, I was very pleased.

"It was a case of being delighted with the performance but disappointed with the result."

Leeds opened the scoring nine minutes in and were two-up by half-time as the Rams failed to deal with a long throw.

But they stuck at their task with great heart in the second period and were rewarded when Miles Addison headed home after a well-worked corner.

Derby looked well set to go on and claim something from the game until Leeds wrapped it up with a late third.

"In terms of the way the boys applied themselves and stuck at the task in hand - we asked them to create more chances and get forward more without losing their shape and discipline - they did that well," Thelwell added.

"It was a good experience for them and a good performance but the individual errors let us down

#18 ·
Neither have been involved in the 1st team this season, Meredith went on the pre season tour of Austria, and was hoped too have maybe got into the 1st team setup this season, it's not happened yet though.

I don't know anything about Rasmussen, not even what position he plays :embarass:

#19 ·
jimbo jones said:
Neither have been involved in the 1st team this season, Meredith went on the pre season tour of Austria, and was hoped too have maybe got into the 1st team setup this season, it's not happened yet though.

I don't know anything about Rasmussen, not even what position he plays :embarass:
Thanks.:)

Find out.:mad::D

#21 ·
There was heartbreak at Pride Park as the Rams went out of the FA Youth Cup after the most dramatic of games.

It went all the way to sudden-death penalties where Barnsley's Ryan Jennings struck the winning spot-kick to give them a 9-8 success.

But the 120 minutes that went before it would have graced any competition.

Luke Federenko had put Barnsley in front on seven minutes, only for Paris Simmons and and Karl Ashton to turn things around by half-time.

An unfortunate second-half own-goal by David Wood took the tie into extra-time where the visitors looked to have wrapped it up on 118 minutes when Jacob Butterfield volleyed home.

But substitute Robert Ujcik levelled in stoppage-time to take the game to penalties - where the drama continued.

:(

I forward the motion to get rid of penalty shootouts ;)

#23 ·
Paris Simmons was on the mark to give the Rams victory in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Chesterfield on Tuesday afternoon.

First-year Academy scholar Simmons lined up alongside the experienced Paul Peschisolido in Derby's attack for the Moor Farm outing.

And he struck on 69 minutes when he reacted quickest to fire home after his initial shot had struck a post following Robert Ujcik's incisive through-ball.

Simmons also saw a first-half drive flash just wide while Peschisolido hit the bar from close-range, with James Meredith and Ryan Smith also testing visiting keeper Barry Roche.

Derby took the opportunity to give goalkeepers Lee Grant and Lee Camp 45 minutes each - Grant starting - while Peschisolido, Smith, Richard Jackson and Lewin Nyatanga were the other senior players involved.

Their attitude impressed first-team coach Julian Darby, who also had praise for the way the youngsters went about their task.

"I thought everyone - the professionals and the kids - showed a fantastic attitude in difficult windy conditions," he told www.dcfc.co.uk.

"They came away with a 1-0 win, although that is not the be-all and end-all of the game.

"The way they tried to play, their effort and endeavour, was terrific.

"Reserve-team football is about professionals getting match-fit and kids working their way up the ladder and showing what they can do.

"I thought the professionals showed a terrific attitude, they were helping the kids all the time.

"And the kids, likewise, gave a very good account of themselves."

RAMS: Grant (Camp HT), Jackson, Addison (Dudley 65), Nyatanga, Meredith, Fleming (Robertson 80), Richards, Hanson, Smith (Ujcik 60), Peschisolido, Simmons (Beardsley 69)

I wonder if we could see a return of the reserves next season? I hope so, all this fannying around arrangeing behind closed doors freindlies, usually against Chesterfield or Notts County just seems a bit daft too me. It was one of the Clowns bright ideas, I hope the regime sees fit to bring back the reserves, especially if we get back into the Premiership and the squad gets even bigger. We already have players doing nothing week in week out at the minute.

#25 ·
Academy manager Kevin Thelwell felt the Rams' 6-0 thrashing of Sheffield United had been on the cards.

Derby's U18 players had been performing well over recent weeks but without getting the rewards.

They had suffered heartbreak in the FA Youth Cup with a penalty shoot-out defeat to Barnsley in their previous match but bounced back to form against the Blades.

"As we've said in the past, the boys have been doing ever so well this season," Thelwell told www.dcfc.co.uk.

"It was always the case that at some stage they would perform very well in front of goal.

"We are delighted with the result and now we have got to kick on from there.

"It's the start of another week so we have got to make sure it is as good as last week.

"We go to Sheffield Wednesday next so we will be looking for another strong result and another strong performance, that is what we are focusing on."

Thelwell admitted that the drama of going out of the FA Youth Cup to Barnsley and the ultimate feeling of devastation afterwards helped spur the young lads on.

"The boys were distraught after the Barnsley game, especially having been so near yet so far and having had so many chances to finish the game off," he said.

"You have got to take something from every experience and I think what the boys took from that was that they have got to be more solid, and kill games off.

"Saturday was an example of that and hopefully now we will see a few more examples of that as we progress to the end of the season.

#26 ·
Listened to the phone in last night, Mike Horton was on it and some interesting points were brought up, one being they are looking at having a reserve team next season, they were disappointed not to inherit one, and the squad wasn't big enough to have one at the start of the season.

And you have to have one in the Premiership anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.