GROUP D - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Which two teams will advance?
Uruguay 52 74.29%
Costa Rica 6 8.57%
England 29 41.43%
Italy 59 84.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2013, 02:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
GROUP D

Uruguay (AFC vs. CONMEBOL Play-Off Winner / 12TH APP)
Costa Rica (CONCACAF Hex 2nd-Place / 4TH APP)
England (UEFA Group Winner / 14TH APP)
Italy (UEFA Group Winner / 18TH APP)

Previous Meetings:

England v Italy: 1990, third place match: England 1–2 Italy

Uruguay v England: 1954, quarter-finals: Uruguay 4–2 England
1966, group stage: Uruguay 0–0 England

Italy v Uruguay: 1970, group stage: Italy 0–0 Uruguay / 1990, round of 16: Italy 2–0 Uruguay

Schedule:

ROUND 1:

June 14 - Uruguay VS Costa Rica (Estadio Castelao)

June 14 - England VS Italy (Arena Amazonia)

ROUND 2:

June 19 - England VS Uruguay (Arena de Sao Paolo)

June 20 - Italy VS Costa Rica (Arena Pernambuco)

ROUND 3:

June 24 - Italy VS Uruguay (Arena das Dunas)

June 24 - Costa Rica VS England (Estadio Mineirao)

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus

Last edited by SacHercegovac; December 14th, 2013 at 15:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2013, 14:58
Don
Rising Star

Teams: Juventus
One of the trickier groups, with 3 past winners. I think it will be Italy topping the group. Their midfield options (Pirlo, De Rossi, Motta, Verratti, Marchisio, Montolivo) is IMO only bettered by Spain and Germany. Upfront Balotelli always performs for Italy and his Milan form is picking up again, then in Rossi there's another goal-getter. The potential supporting cast (Insigne, El Shawaary, Totti? Cassano? Cerci, Osvaldo) is not lacking at all. They are suspect in defence but that will be fully exposed later on in the tournament.
Uruguay despite a shaky qualifying should finish 2nd. In Suarez and Cavani they have two of the best forwards in the world, in great form.
England are designed to hold big teams to draws for some time now, this group will be abit too much for them, and the schedule isnt exactly kind. I know it wont happen, but they could use this to prepare their next gen (Wilshere, Barkley, Sturridge, Rodriguez, Llalana etc).
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2013, 17:12
Premier Player

Montolivo and Marchisio are no more than average players imo.Good points about Italy otherwise, though.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2013, 00:09
Premier Player

uruguay to top italy for the top of this group. England finishes 3rd and Costa Rica last
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2013, 06:57
Legend

A nice classic group of three even if England are the poorest they have been for a very long time.

Italy & Uruguay to advance.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2013, 05:46
Azerbaijani Eagle
Legend

Teams: Neftchi Baku
England going to get hammered.

1. Uruguay
2. Italy
3. England
4. Costa Rica

The bullet changes things in the brain, even if hit in the ass. Al Capone
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2013, 10:25
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
England should logically struggle but I think they'll BS their way through miraculously somehow and in the process one of Italy or Uruguay unfortunately will get screwed over.

I'm going Italy and England. Uruguay relied a lot on Forlan at the last World Cup I'm still not sold on their midfielders. They have a difficult time finding their strikers.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2013, 13:34
YBC
Legend

People grossly under-estimating England here. Sure, they struggled vs Chile and Germany, but they beat Brazil at the Maracana and also beat Spain at the Wembley.. Hodgson knows what he is doing much better than Capello

Uruguay struggled, qualifying only 5th place in CONMEBOL, and aside from Cavani and Suarez, who hugely under-perform for Uruguay, who else do they have?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2014, 03:43
Premier Player

Teams: ACMilan
Uruguay came into great form in the latter part of the qualifiers. Still they over-rely on two or three star players. But they are tactically astute and have good fight in them, so still a force to be reckoned with.

Hodgson should just let England play and attack, come what may. They will probably still fail but heck, at least they'll be fun.

Italy has a decent team if a little slow in the backline. I rate them as leader of the pack behind the four favourites for the Cup.

Costa Rica is cannon fodder.

"In the frigid football at the end of the century, which detests defeat and forbids all fun, that man was one of the few who proved that fantasy can be efficient."

~Galeano on Maradona

Last edited by PearsfromanElm; January 7th, 2014 at 03:44.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2014, 00:29
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
Rossi's injury probably wont stop him to go in Brazil, thats a good news for Italy. without him their chances would be same as England's who btw will be without Walcott

Last edited by Harry Potter; January 9th, 2014 at 00:30.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2014, 05:43
Premier Player

Teams: ACMilan
Italy haven't needed Rossi for the past 2 years, why would they need him now?

I think he's a bonus but not essential for Italy's cause.

"In the frigid football at the end of the century, which detests defeat and forbids all fun, that man was one of the few who proved that fantasy can be efficient."

~Galeano on Maradona
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2014, 14:33
Rookie

What is commonly regarded as a group of death, with three previous world champions: they all have their problems and are not considered anymore as top favorites to win the trophy. Italy seems in better shape of the other two and normally knows how to advance in the late stages of the tournament. Uruguay had an average qualifying campaign, but is perfectly able to shine again at the finals, especially if its super-stars perform accordingly. Few are expecting something different from England again this time, though an exit already from the group stage will be even worst that usual. They certainly have the talent to make it much further than that, but this has been expected many times before… Tough luck for Costa Rica, they would have better chances in another group.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2014, 05:41
Premier Player

Uruguay is overrated. they only have suarez, cavani cannot carry his team, and forlan is finished. Chile and colombia >>>>>>>>> uruguay
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 09:01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
People grossly under-estimating England here. Sure, they struggled vs Chile and Germany, but they beat Brazil at the Maracana and also beat Spain at the Wembley.. Hodgson knows what he is doing much better than Capello
This is true, he is certainly prepared to take mores risks than Capello, and hoik younger players up the ranks.Not that I am saying that I have much hope. Rodgers should go further than I imagine he will to boost and blood some of the younger generation. Of course if he really did that, as soon as he announced the squad there would be uproar. How many people want to play a long game when the World Cup is every four years? This year I think I will be watching and sweating in the comfort of my own room. Got myself a new mattress here especially. With the games on so late in the UK many people will be watching them at home. Bad for the pubs, bad for blood pressure. Suffering in silence is always worse.

Last edited by Sanps; May 7th, 2014 at 17:09.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2014, 08:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunDEADliga View Post
Uruguay is overrated. they only have suarez, cavani cannot carry his team, and forlan is finished. Chile and colombia >>>>>>>>> uruguay
i don't see them that overrated, they were amazing in the last edition and they qualified again to this edition with the approx most of the names...

i think they will be a tough contender for England and the azzurri
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2014, 09:45
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
England should logically struggle but I think they'll BS their way through miraculously somehow and in the process one of Italy or Uruguay unfortunately will get screwed over.

I'm going Italy and England. Uruguay relied a lot on Forlan at the last World Cup I'm still not sold on their midfielders. They have a difficult time finding their strikers.

Looking back now. I think taking into fact the weather conditions, the lack of a quality NT, it looks very unlikely that either Italy or Uruguay would not make it past the next round.

I'm more worried about Ecuador vs Switzerland. I want to see Ecuador stun that team and leave them in the groups again
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2014, 13:53
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Time has passed since the draw in December but this group still becomes very unpredicatble. The climate might make a difference in such tight contention and in this case I guess England would find it tougher from all of them. (obviously disconsidering Costa Rica).

On the other hand I believe England will progress because differently from previous editions they don't come with all the hype and expectations. And his will do only good for England.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2014, 22:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
Uruguay struggled, qualifying only 5th place in CONMEBOL, and aside from Cavani and Suarez, who hugely under-perform for Uruguay, who else do they have?
Godin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2014, 23:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I think their keeper is pretty solid as well.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2014, 00:23
Parmesan Forever
Rookie

Teams: Parma Fc
Uruguay will be first with Italy second

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in