Xtratime Community banner

European Championship 2020 semi-finals, final to Turkey!

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Zico 10 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Platini to now get fanmail? :pp

Hopefully the rest of the tournament won't be too far away. Try and have most of the games in SE Europe or something like that.

#3 ·
I thought the whole point of this was to spread it around Europe. Putting the Sf and final in the same place defeats the purpose of this. Congrats anyway, they should just give you the whole tourney

#4 ·
Fukking Demiroren, salivating at the prospect of grabbing the crumbs off Platini's table. We should have said fukk you to UEFA after the way they manipulated the voting for EURO 2016 and the format change for 2020. These were two clear attempts at making sure we didn't get the proper tournament.

What is the point of hosting 3 games? We hosted the CL final and the UEFA Cup final in the last 10 years. How did it change the football legacy of the country? How did it change the infrastructure of the country? Nada!

But a tournament can leave a lasting legacy. You'll have modern stadiums, improvement in inner city transport, expansion of airports, additional hotels being built. A tournament would impact people's lives throughout the country.

Now they'll throw us the scraps with semi finals and the final. Meaning, we won't be in the conversation for another tournament for decades to come.

I can just see that imbecile Demiroren breaking the news to the media with a shit eating grin on his face.

Congratu-fukking-lations!

#7 ·
It wont be any EC tournament in the future anyway. Whats wrong with getting both semis and a final, its still better than nothing. We have applied for this shit since 2008 if I remember right and got nothing.

A well organized finals here could open the door for us for WC or Olympics in the future. Of course I am happy... :thmbup:

#8 ·
No, this format of spreading it out everywhere for EURO 2020 is because UEFA is "celebrating the 60th birthday of the tournament" and it will be a one off.

So, we will be at the back of the line when they go back to the tournament form from 2024 onwards.

And the worst thing is....we're one of the most suited countries in Europe to host a 24 team competition. Unless they want co-hosts, we're among a few countries that can handle that big an organisation (and all that comes with it) as the only host.

If you think staging 3 games makes us qualified to host a WC or Olympics.....I say pass the pipe down the line because you must be smoking that good shit!

#13 ·
Sure, an infrastructure nightmare like Brazil, attendance figures like South Africa and a general kironess like Russia.

Turkey wouldn't host a successful tournament, nor would hosting it result in (what most think is certain) a better level of football in the country.

We need work on the foundations before anything.

#14 ·
Sure, an infrastructure nightmare like Brazil, attendance figures like South Africa and a general kironess like Russia.
:howler:

The harsh reality.

Having said that, I just have a feeling that a Turkish tournament would be excellent and full of novelty. For example the CL Final was an organizational disaster, yet gave rise to one of the, if not the, most memorable European final of all time.

Basketball World Cup was fantastic in 2010, the WTA Women's Tennis finals have been an astounding success for the last three years (now off to Singapore), Eurovision was well-done, Mersin 2013 was fine, etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.