Greenlandic club in Danish league? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2009, 01:24 Thread Starter
International

Greenlandic club in Danish league?

Question to the Danes here... On wikipedia (I know, usually an unreliable source, hence why i dont want to just believe the article) it is written there would be a vague idea to launch a professional Greenland based club that could compete in the Danish league. There is obviously no concrete plan yet, but apparently the idea has circulated.

Football in Greenland is played on amateur level but the game is very popular, each town (even the remotest ones) have their own team. Qanaaq is the northernmost town in the world to have a team competing in a league. The Greenlandic national team is one of the more active members of the non-FIFA competitions and is hoping for FIFA membership, a professional club could of course put their case in the limelight.

I have been following greenland for a long time in non-FIFA football and to me the rumour about this Greenlandic club in the Danish league sounded quite unrealistic. I doubt this comes from a reliable source. The distances would be too big for the club to be financially healthy, even the capital Nuuk with its 15000 people is too small to host a club in the league, and as Greenland relies on tourism and fishery economically there is no big enterprise there that can invest money into that potential professional club. Greenland already has a very active own national league, it may be amateur level but it does make a professional team quite unnecessary when every town already has at least 1 club.
All of this makes me believe this rumour is totally unreliable and nowhere near reality, but can someone of the Danes confirm me if there have ever been remotely serious talks about a Greenlandic team in the Danish league? Is this just some made up story from wikipedia or has someone really talked about this (which IMO is totally unrealistic to put the idea into practice...)?

PS I have had personal phone contacts with the Greenland FA in the past and have been following non FIFA football for a long while, I would be very surprised if this idea was real and somehow never got discussed in the world of non FIFA football which is quite small and where newsfacts usually get around rapidly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2009, 13:49
Flop
International

Teams: S.S. Lazio
I hvae never seen this mentioned in Danish media. Not even as a curiosity so you're probably right it's just an unreliable wikipedia-article.

Yada, yada
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:28 Thread Starter
International

I thought so. As much as I would love the idea (I have a sort of arctic fetish and since my involvement in non-FIFA football have followed the Greenlandic football team for several years now) I don't think it is realistic to have a Greenland team in the Danish league.

Unless the Greenland government would fund the team, the team would not financially survive because Greenland has no huge companies to finance the team. Distances to mainland Denmark would make the club even most financially unstable.

Local towns are not connected to each other via roadworks, so basically only the people of capital Nuuk would be able to attend games without needing domestic flights from other Greenlandic towns. And Nuuk has 15000 people, so even that is too small for a club in the Danish league. And besides, Greenland has its own football league, is there a need for a club to play in the league of a country 2000 km away?

But well, probably a Wikipedia madness. In the past there were other such wild stories such as an article on the Antarctica national team (it was removed within the few days, the only football played on Antarctica are some scientists playing a game during breaks at work in a scientific base). Probably the Greenland thing is a scam as well, although it would have been not impossible technically since Greenland does seek affiliation to FIFA. But with their own league and own national team, it would not make sense to try to get into Danish football instead of applying for FIFA membership on their own like the Faroes did as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in