UEFA Cup : Brann - Club Brugge - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 20:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

UEFA Cup : Brann - Club Brugge

Don't have all that much to say yet, just wanted to open the thread.

We were fairly lucky with the draw, avoided the big teams and we have a chance to progress. But I'm sure Brugge isn't unhappy with the draw either. Should be a pretty even match, we'll see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2007, 09:40
Star Player

Very correct.

Should indeed be an interesting encounter. So what's your line-up been in the past few matches?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:40 Thread Starter
Star Player

The prefered lineup is

Opdal
Guntveit - Bjarnason - Sigurdsson - Hanstveit
Solli - Andresen - Bakke - Vaagan Moen
Winters - Helstad

Dunno how familiar you are with most of these players..
Håkon Opdal is the Norwegian NT goalie
Bjarnason and Sigurdsson are Icelandic NT defenders.
Hanstveit has been the best leftback in the Norwegian league the past few seasons.
Andresen is the Norwegian NT captain.
Eirik Bakke has a past in the English premiership for Leeds and Aston Villa, but has a history of injuries.
Thorstein Helstad has been the top scorer in the Norwegian League a bunch of times, and leads the scoring statistics this season as well.

Brann is much better at attacking than defending, so I assume there will be a bunch of goals scored both ways. Our midfield is horrible at supporting the defense, so we always get a lot of one against one situations.

In the central midfield we have a lot of quality and a real fight for a spot in the starting lineup, most notably of the subs are Hassan El Fakiri and Tijan Jaiteh. El Fakiri is a former Monaco and Borussia Mönchengladbach player. jaiteh is one of the biggest talents in the Gambian youth NTs.

In the other positions we are kinda lacking, so an injury on a key player will really weaken us.

Any info on Brugge would be appriciated

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2007, 00:51
International

If Brugge still play like they played in the past few years, Brann should have a good chance to progress, if you play your best football. Still I'd rate Brugge as 70-30 favourites, if they could keep their key-players.

I'd love to meet Brann in the group-stage, presuming we can get past Valerenga ourselves...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2007, 13:50
Rising Star

El-Fakiri and Jaiteh are very good players, but if I was a Belgian the sub to look out for would be Erik Huseklepp. This summer we also got back Azar Karadas (first and foremost as a CB although he can be used as a striker), but he'll probably need some time to get back into shape before he can make a real impact.

Judging by our defense (Hanstveit grrrr) I'd say Brugge are favorites, but if Helstad and Andresen are fit for this matchup we're definately gonna bag some goals
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2007, 16:33
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter
Any info on Brugge would be appriciated
Well, for several reasons, I can not say too much on the line-up so far. Those reasons being:
- a rather large squad change over the last transfer window with 8 players leaving (Gvozdenovic, De Cock, Dufer, Vandelannoitte, Balaban, Ishiaku, Yulu-Matondo and Lutun; 9 if you count Salou who also seemed on his way out) and 7 incoming transfers (Sterchele, Kucera, Simaeys, Djokic, Geraerts, Alcaraz and Sonck)

- several injured players like Van Heerden who are close to rejoining the selection

- a new coach (Jacky Mathijssen) who amongst others preaches flexibility. Usually, Brugge plays a 442 these days, but don't be surprised if Mathijssen cooks up something else for the two matches against Brann.

The past few matches, this has been our line-up:

Goal: Stijn Stijnen: A very good linekeeper who does however regularly have problems with high balls.

RB: Brian Priske: former RC Genk and Portsmouth. Defensively not so bad, but lesser on the offensive side. As his back-ups, Jorn Vermeulen and Gert-Jan De Mets stepped forward from the academy. Both are injured at the time of writing: Vermeulen trains again but is not yet fit enough to charge for duels, De Mets is out until New Year.

CB: the past few matches we've had the duo Clement-Alacaraz there, partly due to the injury problems with Maertens and Kucera. Clement has been under fire with the fans lately because he's getting a bit old (33 years) and slow. Alcaraz looks ok in general, but in nearly each match he had a moment of nonchalance. Both have already scored this season though, especially Clement can be dangerous on offensive set pieces. Birger Maertens, Stepan Kucera and Joos Valgaeren are our back-ups here.

LB: Michael Klukowski is the only geneuine left back in the current Brugge squad, though in theory Kucera and Blondel could be alternatives. Mathijssen even leaves the possibility open of putting a right footed player there. Klukowski (who plays for Canada) is not all that great, but normally better offensively than in defense.

The 4 man has no genuine wingers, since Daerden is injured and Dufer has been sold. Until now the midfield has consisted of Blondel, Geraerts, Englebert and Leko, but now that he's returning from injury, Jeroen Simaeys could be on his way to grab his place there.

Blondel has had a lot of positions over the past few years, now on the right against his foot. A pit bull type of player who's tecnically ok, but who easily collects cards.

Geraerts is what the fashion term calls a box to box player. In reality, he does his share of defensive work and infiltrates well into the opposing 16.

Englebert: A man with three lungs. Often runs a marathon in 90 minutes, but his passing can often be rather sloppy. imo the most likely player to be dropped in favour of Simaeys.

Leko is the playmaker so far. His strongest weapon is his overview and his excellent cooperation with Sterchele. Question is what will happen when Van Heerden gets back.

In offense, we count on the duo Dusan Djokic and Francois Sterchele. Djokic comes from Crvena Zvevda, where he scored around 14 goals last year. A strong, hard worker who weighs on a defense. Having said that, his finishing still needs improvement. Francois Sterchele was last year's topscorer in the Belgian first division. A good finisher, but with little or no experience on a higher level than Belgium. Wesley Sonck is an alternative, but all depends on how he develops over the coming weeks.

That should about it.

Last edited by binswhacker; September 4th, 2007 at 16:39.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 23:55
Rising Star

Sigurdsson, Winters and Jaiteh are injured.

Probable lineup: Håkon Opdal - Cato Guntveit, Olafur Bjarnason, Knut Walde, Erlend Hanstveit - Jan Gunnar Solli, Martin Andresen, Hassan El Fakiri, Petter Vaagan Moen - Armann Bjørnsson, Thorstein Helstad.

Sigurdsson out for this match is a huge loss, especially considering Walde has only played a few minutes since his arrival this summer. Azar Karadas came on and were highly influential in our 4-0 away win against Fredrikstad, but is still not deemed fit enough to start. Bjørnsson will start up-front with Helstad instead. Bjørnsson has scored in every Uefa-cup match he has played this season.

Funny thing, both Karadas and Bjørnsson were bought as CB's, but both are now playing as forwards. Karadas will begin to fill the CB role towards next season, when it is expected that Bjarnason will retire his Brann-career.

We will probably see Karadas on early in the second half if Bjørnsson continues to play like he did against FFK. Huseklepp on for Solli is another certain offensive change if we are struggeling.

We are unbeaten at home this season. Hopefully people will know their priorities and show up to give this match the atmosphere it deserves.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2007, 09:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

There's a huge difference between playing Walde and Sigurdsson. We'll really lack pace in the defense. Hopefully Brugge won't take advantage of it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2007, 14:50
Rising Star

What a fvcking dissapointment. Not the result in particular. The way we played was disgraceful and pissed me off more than anything. We could've won this game 1-0 and I'd still be horrified by the lack of will and interest.

Sadly the hack we call our manager can't focus on two things at once.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 22:38
Rising Star

Mjelde doesn't seem to wanna take any chances with our influential left winger Vaagan Moen. Bjørnsson is also out, but atleast Winters looks to be back. Hopefully Corrales will be given renewed trust at LB after his strong performance against LSK. This very might be our starting elleven:

Opdal
Dahl Ørn1 Ørn2 Corrales
Solli Bakke Andresen(C) Huseklepp
Winters Helstad

Last edited by Bruiser; October 4th, 2007 at 09:06.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 20:28
Rising Star

JÆDDA!! We look inspired and are playing very well. We're up 2-0 at HT after goals by Helstad and Winters, should've been more. Lets hope we go for a third and kill this match off.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 21:29
Rising Star

1-2 FT. We're thru!

What an IN-FECKING-CREDIBLE amount of wasted chances! I was 1000% sure we would score atleast a dousin times! And I was equally sure we would throw this away at the end. But, to my amazement, WE DIDN't! Bring on Bayern.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 22:08
International

Congrats!
And now I want to have FAK and Brann in the same group!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old October 5th, 2007, 08:20
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to following your team in the group stage.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2007, 22:23 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgv325
Congrats!
And now I want to have FAK and Brann in the same group!
I'm hoping for Tottenham and FAK, would be brilliant
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2007, 22:25 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thanks everyone, I'm glad we got to play a decent away game. The first leg was the worst game of the season. Would be sad if didn't get to show some of what we can do. Our first half in Belgium was pretty good, just a shame we wasted all our chances. Still, we're through and that's the important thing
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2007, 14:21
Rising Star

After that we qualified it's easy to say that we did everything right. But we didn't and there are still things to work on, like not trying to five-a-side the ball into the net every friggin time and instead try to take a shot at goal once in awhile instead.

Also we should rid ourselves with the bad habbit of letting all the teams we meet have so much space and time around our box. If we can learn to put pressure on the ball before they get within striking/crossing dinstance instead of filling our own box, we won't get so tired towards the end like we did on thursday.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2007, 13:42
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Husseklep has been linked to us. Well, he did play 2 great games against us

Can you guys tell me something more about him?

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2008, 14:04
International

Teams: Roma
Holy smoke, I didn't realize we had a forum in here!

Anyways, while working at SHAPE in Belgium, I had the chance to watch Brugge-Brann and it was a lot of fun there.

GULLET SKA HEEEEEEEEEM
HEM TIL BERGEN!
GULLET SKA HEM
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 08:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Sounds great, wish I'd been there And good to see you find your way home, much like the gold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in