Norwegian Women's 2007 World Cup Squad - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2007, 19:09 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Norwegian Women's 2007 World Cup Squad

Next Wednesday National Team Coach Bjarne Berntsen is expected to announce Norway's 21 player squad for the 2007 World Cup. I'd be curious to know what some of the regular posters in this forum think about which players should represent Norway next month in China.

I'll start out with 18 of the players that I think will be on Norway's final roster:

Goalkeepers

Bente Nordby - Djurgården

Christine C. Nilsen - Kolbotn

Ingrid Hjelmseth – Asker

Defenders

Marit F. Christensen - Røa

Gunhild B. Følstad - Trondheims-Ørn

Ane S. Horpestad - Klepp

Siri Nordby – Røa

Maritha Kaufmann - Team Strømmen

Midfielders

Ingvild Stensland - Kopparbergs/Göteborg

Leni Larsen Kaurin - Asker

Lene Storløkken - Team Strømmen

Solveig Gulbrandsen - Kolbotn

Marie Knutsen - Røa

Trine Rønning - Kolbotn

Forwards

Lindy Melissa Wiik - Asker

Ragnhild Gulbrandsen - Asker

Lise Klaveness - Umeå

Lene Mykjåland – Røa

And here are the players that I think have a good chance of getting those final three spots on Norway's roster:

Isabell Herlovsen – Kolbotn

Unni Lehn - Trondheims-Ørn

Camilla H. Huse - Kolbotn

I have no idea if Marianne Pettersen has given any indication to Coach Berntsen that she would be willing to come out of retirement again. However, after the way Pettersen has played for Asker this season, I would think that there would be a place for Pettersen on Norway's roster if she does decide to play in one more World Cup for Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2007, 20:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Will Pettersen be on Norway's WC Roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordby1
N
I have no idea if Marianne Pettersen has given any indication to Coach Berntsen that she would be willing to come out of retirement again. However, after the way Pettersen has played for Asker this season, I would think that there would be a place for Pettersen on Norway's roster if she does decide to play in one more World Cup for Norway.
One of my friends in Norway who has been lucky enough to seen Marianne play several times this season for Asker feels that Pettersen is “absolutely good enough” for the World cup squad and could even start for Norway.

However, even though he would love to see Marianne play in the World Cup again, he also feels that it is important to “give new players a chance” and that “there are a lot of exciting young strikers that deserve to go to China.” He also went on to say that “it is wrong if Marianne can change her mind, two weeks before they leave, and get a ticket to
China. That is too easy and not fair to other players that have been working hard for years to get there.”

Since there has still been no announcement from Marianne about playing for Norway again there probably isn’t much chance that she will change her mind this late unless of course Coach Berntsen does a good job of persuading her to do so. In general I would agree that it probably wouldn’t be fair to wait until the last minute to change your mind about playing for the National Team, but I think that this situation with Pettersen is quite special for several reasons.

Before this season started,I believe that Pettersen was only planning to work as an assistant coach, but When Ragnhild Gulbrandsen got injured during spring training, Marianne decided to fill in for Ragnhild until she was able to play again. Now that Ragnhild is back playing again for Asker, Marianne has also continued to play and play at a very high level, which has given Asker perhaps the most dangerous trio of strikers in Toppserien history. I also seem to recall reading that there were some health concerns that Marianne had herself several months ago, but as far as I can tell, it seems as though Pettersen is now close to 100%.

For my own selfish reasons I would also love to see Pettersen play again in the World Cup. I have a feeling it could come down to Norway playing #1 ranked U.S. or #2 ranked Germany in either the semis or perhaps even the finals. Having available such an experienced player like Marianne, who has proven over the years that she has the unique ability to find a way to score igoals in extremely important matches, could in the end make a huge difference for Norway.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2007, 20:56 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Three Goalkeepers or two?

I think everyone who follows the Norwegian Women's National Team knows that as long as she remains healthy, Bente Nordby will play just about every minute of every match for Norway in next month's World Cup.

During the 2003 World Cup in the U.S., Norway had only one extra keeper on their roster to backup Bente, but from what I have read so far it looks like Norway is planning to bring three goalkeepers to China. I'd be interested to know what others think about whether Norway should have two or three goalkeepers on their WC roster?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 08:37
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
When there's a question of using an "old" and experienced player, there's a clear difference between a club and a national team, and a clear difference between a friendly and a World Cup. A club has the burden of building up new players in a way that can not be demanded of a national team. A national team should more or less be made up of experienced players. The exception is friendlies and unimportant qualifying matches. That's where a national team coach can experiment a little. Everyone, even me, would like to play in a World Cup, but you only get to go if you're good enough. If Marianne Pettersen is good enough, then she should picked for the World Cup squad. By good enough, you have to include a whole number of factors, not only her predatory skills in front of goal. Can she last a whole tournament? Is her stamina good enough to last 90 minutes in world class tempo? How about the team work the team has built up during the qualifiers, will she fit in, or will she slow the team down?

While I don't think it's wrong for her to change her mind, I think it would be wrong for Berntsen to pick her. Not for some moral reason, but because I don't think she's good enough. If she is, and Berntsen picks her for the squad, she will get the chance to prove me wrong, and I won't mind at all.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 08:38
Legend

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what others think about whether Norway should have two or three goalkeepers on their WC roster?
Without a doubt we need three, just like any other World Cup squad, for men or women.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 18:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Goalkeepers on WC Roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
Without a doubt we need three, just like any other World Cup squad, for men or women.
I think that Norway probably will take three goalkeepers to China, but I just thought it was interesting to note that Norway only had two goalkeepers on their 2003 WC roster (Bente Nordby & Silje Vesterbekkmo). There were only 20 players allowed on the 2003 WC rosters and as it turned out, Nordby ended up playing every minute of every match.

It was looking like Ingrid Hjelmseth was back close to 100% playing for her club Asker, but she is sitting today's match against Kattem because of a strekkskader (muscle strain?? - sorry, my online ordbok isn't working :embarass: ).

In any event, it will be interesting to see if Berntsen selects the experienced Hjelmseth who has had so many injury problems recently over the Arna - Bjørnar keeper Erika Espeseth Skarbø. As far as I know Skarbø is 100% healthy, but she has very little experience with Norway's full National Team. Skarbø was on the squad that played a friendly against the U.S. last month, but I don't think she has any CAPS with Norway's "A" team.

I just found a link to an article previewing Norway's 2003 WC quarterfinal match against the U.S. and it lists Norway's WC roster along with the lineups for each of the matches during group play:

USA's Rival - Norway

Quote:
NORWAY ROSTER
GOALKEEPER (2): 1-Bente Nordby, 12-Silje Vesterbekkmo; DEFENDER (6): 2-Brit Sandaune, 3-Ane Stangeland, 4-Monica Knudsen, 13-Anne Tønnessen, 15-Marit Fiane Christensen, 16-Gunhild Følstad; MIDFIELDER (6): 5-Karin Bredland, 6-Hege Riise, 8-Solveig Gulbrandsen, 10-Unni Lehn, 19-Kristine Edner, 20-Lise Klaveness; FORWARD (6): 7-Trine Rønning, 9-Anita Rapp, 11-Marianne Pettersen, 14-Dagny Mellgren, 17-Linda Ørmen, 18-Ingrid Camilla Fosse Sæthre.
(Corrections were made to the spellings of some of the names.)
Nine of the players on the 2003 WC roster have retired completely from playing fotball while three others (Vesterbekkmo, Bredland, & Pettersen) are currently playing at the club level, but haven't played for Norway since 2003.

Last edited by nordby1; August 15th, 2007 at 05:14.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2007, 17:26
Star Player

The actual squad :

1 Bente Nordby (keeper, Djurgården, Sverige)
2 Ane S. Horpestad (Klepp)
3 Gunhild B. Følstad (Trondheims-Ørn)
4 Ingvild Stensland (Kopparberg/Göteborg, Sverige)
5 Siri Nordby (Røa)
6 Camilla Huse (Kolbotn)
7 Trine Rønning (Kolbotn)
8 Solveig Gulbrandsen (Kolbotn)
9 Isabell Herlovsen (Kolbotn)
10 Melissa Wiik (Asker)
11 Guro Knutsen (Røa)
12 Erika Skarbø (keeper, Arna-Bjørnar)
13 Christine Colombo Nilsen (keeper, Kolbotn)
14 Leni Larsen Kaurin (Asker)
15 Madeleine Giske (Arna-Bjørnar)
16 Ragnhild Gulbrandsen (Asker)
17 Lene Mykjåland (Røa)
18 Marie Knutsen (Røa)
19 Marit Fiane Christensen (Røa)
20 Lise Klaveness (Umeå, Sverige)
21 Lene Storløkken (Team Strømmen)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2007, 08:42
Legend

Keepers: Bente Nordby (Djurgården), Erika Skarbø (Arna-Bjørnar), Christine Colombo Nilsen (Kolbotn)

Defenders: Ane Stangeland Horpestad (Klepp), Gunhild Følstad (Trondheims-Ørn), Siri Nordby (Røa), Camilla Huse (Kolbotn), Trine Rønning (Kolbotn), Marit Fiane Christensen (Røa)

Midfielders: Ingvild Stensland (Koppargbergs/Göteborgs FC), Solveig Gulbrandsen (Kolbotn), Guro Knutsen (Røa), Madeleine Giske (Arna-Bjørnar), Marie Knutsen (Røa), Lene Storløkken (Team Strømmen)

Forwards: Isabell Herlovsen (Kolbotn), Melissa Wiik (Asker), Leni Larsen Kaurin (Asker), Ragnhild Gulbrandsen (Asker), Lene Mykjåland (Røa), Lise Klaveness (Ume&#229

Last edited by Orange; August 16th, 2007 at 08:51.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2007, 18:34 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Youth over Experience

Quote:
Keepers: Erika Skarbø (Arna-Bjørnar)

Midfielders: Madeleine Giske (Arna-Bjørnar)

Forwards: Isabell Herlovsen (Kolbotn), Lene Mykjåland (Røa)
Tusen takk Jinxter and Orange for posting Norway's WC squad.

Coach Berntsen has definitely decided to go with youth over experience with several of his WC selections. I don't have time to check right now, but I believe the four players I have listed above are all under the age of 21. With Unni Lehn being left off of the squad that also means that only Bente Nordby and Ragnhild Gulbrandsen are over the age of 30.

For me personally the biggest surprises were Guro Knutsen and Madeleine Giske making the squad while Unni Lehn and Maritha Kaufmann were left off. Does anyone else have any thoughts about Berntsen's selections for this squad?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 20:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Asker Players Score Both Goals for Norway

Norway got off to a dream start in today's friendly match against Germany when Leni Larsen Kaurin gave Norway the early lead with a goal in the first minute.

BEND IT LIKE KAURIN!!

After Germany tied the score in the 22nd minute, Ragnhild Gulbrandsen gave Norway the lead again six minutes later. Norway held on to their 2-1 lead until the 75th minute, which was when Prinz capitalized on a defensive mistake by Marit Fiane Christensen who had been subbed into the match only five minutes earlier.

Here are the match statistics that were posted at the fotball.no site:

Germany - Norway (1-2) 2-2

Venue: Am Bruchweg, Mainz, Germany.

Attendance: 9715

Referee: Biblana Steinhus, Tyskland.

Scoring: 0-1 Larsen Kaurin (1), 1-1 Behringer (22), 1-2 R. Gulbrandsen (28), 2-2 Prinz (75)

Norway's Squad (4-3-3): Bente Nordby - Siri Nordby, Trine Rønning (Marit Fiane Christensen 70. min), Ane S. Horpestad, Gunhild B. Følstad (Camilla Huse 46. min) - Solveig Gulbrandsen, Ingvild Stensland, Lene Storløkken - Leni Larsen Kaurin, Ragnhild Gulbrandsen (Lise Klaveness 60. min), Melissa Wiik (Marie Knutsen 46. min)

I'd be interested to see what comments those who watched the match have about how Norway played. From what I understand of the Norwegian match report I attempted to read, Lene Storløkken had another good match today. After playing so well in road matches against the #1 ranked U.S. and now against #2 ranked Germany, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Storløkken in the starting lineup again in Norway's first WC match against Canada.

Interesting to see that Lise Klaveness came in as a sub for Ragnhild in the 60th minute, while her former Asker teammate Kaurin played the full 90. According to the askerfk.no site, the goal scored by Kaurin was her first after 28 appearances with Norway's "A" team.

During the month of August Kaurin also scored her first league goal this season as well as her first goal in a Cup match when she scored the match winner against Røa that put Asker into their fourth straight Cup Final. In an interview after the match Kaurin promised that it wouldn't be 28 matches before she scores again for Norway.

Asker's third starter in the match ,Melissa Wiik, was subbed out after 45 minutes, but that may have been because Wiik had been very sick earlier in the week. Wiik is currently the leading scorer in Norway's premiere league with 16 goals, while Ragnhild and Solveig Gulbrandsen are tied for second with 12 goals each.

ASKER'S NATIONAL TEAM PLAYERS (L-R KAURIN, GULBRANDSEN, & WIIK) WERE EXCITED ABOUT STARTING AGAINST GERMANY TODAY
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2007, 21:15 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Comments from Asbjørn Myhre

Quote:
Norway's Squad (4-3-3): Bente Nordby - Siri Nordby, Trine Rønning (Marit Fiane Christensen 70. min), Ane S. Horpestad, Gunhild B. Følstad (Camilla Huse 46. min) - Solveig Gulbrandsen, Ingvild Stensland, Lene Storløkken - Leni Larsen Kaurin, Ragnhild Gulbrandsen (Lise Klaveness 60. min), Melissa Wiik (Marie Knutsen 46. min)
I was just looking at what TV2 commentator Asbjørn Myhre wrote about Norway's WC squad and would be interested to know what others think about the starting 11 he is selecting for Norway's first WC match against Canada on September 12.

Her er VM-laget!

Quote:
I 4-3-3-formasjon fra høyre mot venstre: Bente Nordby – Siri Nordby, Trine Rønning, Ane S. Horpestad, Camilla Huse – Solveig Gulbrandsen, Ingvild Stensland, Lene Storløkken – Leni L. Kaurin, Melissa Wiik, Lene Mykjåland.
I think it is very interesting that he is selecting 20 year old striker Lene Mykjåland over veteran National Team players Ragnhild Gulbrandsen and Lise Klaveness. Since I'm far from fluent in Norwegian I'd be very grateful if someone could explain to me what Myhre is saying about the three forwards he is choosing to start in the Canada match.

Quote:
Kaurin: Vi har ikke så mange rendyrkede kantspillere, derfor blir Kaurin viktig. Formstigning gjennom hele sesongen både for Asker og landslaget. Wiik: Konkurrerer først og fremst med Asker-venninne Gulbrandsen, men jeg ville spart veteranen og satset på toppscoreren i Toppserien. Alle kjenner fysikken og evnen til å komme i posisjon, nå handler det bare om å levere varer ”Made in China”. Mykjåland: Ikke like rendyrket kantspiller som Kaurin, men gir oss variasjon i det offensive spillet og har fått mye tillit av landslagsledelsen siden Algarve i vinter.

Last edited by nordby1; September 2nd, 2007 at 18:48.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2007, 19:10 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Depth of Norway's Squad

After their good performance in Germany against the defending World Cup Champions I am feeling very optimistic about Norway's chances in this year's World Cup. IMHO this is one of the deepest squads I think Norway has had since winning the '95 WC in Sweden.

Norway has several very good young players such as Lene Storløkken, Melissa Wiik, Marie Knutsen, and Lene Mykjåland who gained some very valuable experience playing against the U.S. for the first time in the July friendly. Probably only Storløkken and Wiik will be regular starters in this WC, but Knutsen, Norway's 2006 player of the year and the MVP of the 2006 Cup Final, Mykjåland, will likely play considerable minutes for Norway in China.

20 year old striker Lene Mykjåland could end up
playing a huge role for Norway in this World Cup

The depth of their squad is one of the reasons why I think Norway has such a good chance to make it to the finals of this World Cup. Norway managed to hold their own against the U.S. missing arguably five of their best players. I think it is also a very good development that there is so much competition for spots in the starting line-up. If healthy, really only Nordby, Stensland, Solveig Gulbrandsen, and Ane S. Horpestad seem to be locks to start against Canada in the opener.

I think there is also a good chance the Melissa Wiik will be starting against Canada as well, but there is fierce competition between Mykjåland, Ragnhild Gulbrandsen, Kaurin, Herlovsen and Klaveness for the other two forward spots.

In the midfield I would give Lene Storløkken a slight edge over Marie Knutsen and I would also give Trine Rønning the nod over Christiansen to start alongside Horpestad in the center of the Norwegian defense. Along with playing at forward or in the midfield for Norway, the extremely versatile Rønning even played in goal for her club team Kolbotn just two months ago.

Gunhild Følstad, Siri Nordby, and Camilla Huse are all vying for the two outside back positions and it is difficult at this time to tell which two will get the start against Canada. Følstad and Nordby started against Germany, but Huse came in as a sub for Følstad after just 45 minutes. The only field players that I don't think have a realistic chance to start any of the World Cup matches are 19 year old M-F Madeleine Giske and Marie Knutsen's 22 year old sister Guro, another midfielder. Personally I would have rather seen Coach Berntsen select the much more experienced Unni Lehn and maybe another defender such as Maritha Kaufmann. Perhaps Berntsen was looking towards the future with these selections and wanted to give Giske and Guro Knutsen this valuable experience of being part of a World Cup squad.

Madeleine Giske's selection to Norway's
squad was one of the few surprises
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:01
Legend

Quote:
Kaurin: Vi har ikke så mange rendyrkede kantspillere, derfor blir Kaurin viktig. Formstigning gjennom hele sesongen både for Asker og landslaget.
"There are few typical wings in the squad, this makes Kaurin important. Her form has gotten better all season long, both for Asker and the national team."

Quote:
Wiik: Konkurrerer først og fremst med Asker-venninne Gulbrandsen, men jeg ville spart veteranen og satset på toppscoreren i Toppserien. Alle kjenner fysikken og evnen til å komme i posisjon, nå handler det bare om å levere varer ”Made in China”.
"Is competing with fellow Asker player Gulbrandsen for a place on the team, but I would save the veteran, and go for the top scorer in Toppserien. Everyone knows her strenght and her ability to get into the right positions, now it's all about delivering goods marked "Made in China"."

Quote:
Mykjåland: Ikke like rendyrket kantspiller som Kaurin, men gir oss variasjon i det offensive spillet og har fått mye tillit av landslagsledelsen siden Algarve i vinter.
"Not a typical wing like Kaurin, but gives the team more variety in the offensive build up, and has gotten a lot of playing time by the national team management since Algarve this winter."
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2007, 17:26 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Wiik, Gulbrandsen & Kaurin

Tusen takk for hjelpen Orange!

Quote:
"Is competing with fellow Asker player Gulbrandsen for a place on the team, but I would save the veteran, and go for the top scorer in Toppserien. Everyone knows her strenght and her ability to get into the right positions, now it's all about delivering goods marked "Made in China"."

"Not a typical wing like Kaurin, but gives the team more variety in the offensive build up, and has gotten a lot of playing time by the national team management since Algarve this winter."
I tend to agree with Asbjørn's analysis, but there really seems to be some special chemistry right now with the three Asker forwards playing together at the same time. I have a feeling that Coach Berntsen doens't want to upset that chemistry and will likely start the Asker trio and use Mykjåland and Klaveness off of the bench.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2007, 07:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Women's World Cup Television Coverage in Norway

I'm curious to know how much of the Women's World Cup (WWC) will be shown in Norway? I would imagine that at the very least all of Norway's World Cup matches will be shown "live" at the reasonable times of 11.00 and 14.00.

In the U.S. all of the WWC matches will be shown "live" on ESPN & ESPN2. However, the bad news for those of us out here on the west coast is that the kickoff time for all of the matches is 02.00 and 05.00.

I'm not sure how many of the matches I will actually watch "live," but I'm planning to record all of them with my new digital video recorder system so that I can watch many of the WWC matches "pseudo live" later that same day.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2007, 09:30
Legend

NRK1 will send the World Cup matches live. The Norwegian matches will also be featured in a highlights program later in the day.

The first and third Norway match will be shown in a 30 minute program at 17.25, while the second will have a full one hour highlights program (due to it being on a Saturday). In addition to this the channel will show interviews and goals in a short 15 minute program at 23.20. Neither NRK2 nor NRK3 will be used for the World Cup.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2007, 18:30 Thread Starter
Rising Star

WWC Television Coverage in Norway

Quote:
NRK1 will send the World Cup matches live. The Norwegian matches will also be featured in a highlights program later in the day.
Do you know how many matches not involving Norway will be shown by NRK1? Since a number of matches are being played at the same time, here in the U.S., ESPN2 is being used along with ESPN so that all of the matches can be broadcast "live."

Quote:
The first and third Norway match will be shown in a 30 minute program at 17.25, while the second will have a full one hour highlights program (due to it being on a Saturday). In addition to this the channel will show interviews and goals in a short 15 minute program at 23.20. Neither NRK2 nor NRK3 will be used for the World Cup.
It will be interesting to see how many Norwegians end up watching this World Cup. It is too bad that Norway's match against Even Pellerud's tough Canadain squad is mid-week in the early afternoon, but hopefully there will be reasonably good ratings for the Saturday match against Australia. If as expected Norway advances out of group play, I would think that the television audience might be quite large for Norway's quarterfinal match, which would be played either on a Saturday or a Sunday.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 09:02
Legend

NRK1 will only show the matches in Norway's group, and obviously some or all playoff matches.

They have now changed the program on NRK2 to include some matches as well. How many I'm not sure of, but this week it's seems like they are only showing two, one today and one tomorrow.

Last edited by Orange; September 10th, 2007 at 09:18.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2007, 12:22
Legend

Norway beat Canada 2-1 on Wednesday. Norway came back from being under by a goal, and in the end got a deserved win. The road ahead to playoff is now wide open. With Australia easily beating Ghana, the latter proved that they are not up to the level of the other team. I expect Norway to beat Australia today, and if they do, they will without a doubt win the group at the end.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2007, 15:34
Legend

Only a disappointing 1-1 draw against Australia today. Surely we'll progress against Ghana, where we only need a draw to be secure. Nevertheless, the lack of an offensive game plan was too obvious today, and we won't stand a chance against Brazil or The USA playing like that. I think getting China instead of Brazil in the quarterfinal would be much better, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in