Team Strømmen’s Bus Catches Fire - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Team Strømmen’s Bus Catches Fire

None of the players on Toppserien club Team Strømmen were injured after their bus caught fire Tuesday night during the team's long trip back to the Oslo area. Earlier in the day the club, which is coached by former Norwegian National Team player Hege Riise, had played a match against Trondheim area club Kattem.

After the fire started there were a few tense moments, but according the Sports Leader and former Strømmen player Lena Ingelsrudøya, everyone was able to get evacuated quickly from the bus without anyone getting hurt. Several of the players did lose mobile phones and some of their other personal belongings, but the players were very fortunate that no one was hurt.

Here’s the link to an article that was in the Norwegian newspaper Romerikes Blad:

Team-bussen tok fyr

I did the best I could to provide a brief English summary of what I could understand in the article. I would appreciate it if someone else who is actually fluent in Norwegian could perhaps provide some more details for others who might be interested in this story, but can't read Norwegian.

I'd also be curious to know if anyone in Norway saw anything on the television news about this bus fire?
"På forhånd takk!" (Thanks in advance! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:40
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I guess it would be much bigger news if something really bad had actually happened, that's how the world works.

It's quite shocking that this could happen, but we should all be happy that no one got hurt.

I read the article and it didn't say anything else than what you already wrote.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:45
Star Player

This is the first I've heard of it as well.. The major papers and tv doesn't mention it at all.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 17:40 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Media Coverage of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I guess it would be much bigger news if something really bad had actually happened, that's how the world works.
I think this is a very valid point that you make. If one or more of the players had been seriously hurt, then it likely would have been a much bigger story in the eyes of the news media.

Quote:
It's quite shocking that this could happen, but we should all be happy that no one got hurt.
At the very least I hope there is some follow-up of this story by Romerikes Blad so that we could know what the cause of the fire was and also learn if there is something that can be done to these buses in the future to prevent something like this from happening again.

Last edited by nordby1; May 3rd, 2007 at 05:58.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 17:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

More Coverage For a Men's Club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter
This is the first I've heard of it as well.. The major papers and tv doesn't mention it at all.
I wonder how much difference there would have been in the overall Norwegian news coverage if the same thing had happened to the top of the table Lillestrøm SK men's club instead of the top of the table Team Strømmen women's club?

Last edited by nordby1; May 3rd, 2007 at 04:39.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:29 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Flyr høyt

Here is an article that discusses Team Strømmen using the bus instead of flying that interestingly enough was published only three days before yesterday’s bus fire:

Flyr høyt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 18:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

– Det ble litt panikkaktig

Here's the link to another article about the bus fire that I just saw posted at the Romerikes Blad website:

So far it looks like Romerikes Blad is the only newspaper in Norway giving any coverage to the Team Strømmen bus fire.

Last edited by nordby1; May 5th, 2007 at 19:25.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 17:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Translation Help Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordby1
Here's the link to another article about the bus fire that I just saw posted at the Romerikes Blad website:

I would really appreciate it if I could get some help understanding a few paragraphs from the article:

First here is a quote of Stine Berger followed by my attempt at translating it into English:

Quote:
– Det begynte å lukte brent, og vi ropte til sjåføren. Først sa alle at det sikkert ikke var så farlig, men vi syntes ikke det var noe særlig.
It began by smelling smoke, and we shouted to the bus driver. First it was said that it certainly wasn't anything dangerous, but we didn't know that it was something special.

In the next sentence I am a bit confused by the use of 'Plutselig' followed by 'bråstopper.'

Quote:
Plutselig bråstopper sjåføren i en busslomme og roper at alle må ut av bussen.
According to the 'ordboker' that I checked, 'plutselig' means 'suddenly' or 'abruptly' and so does 'brå' so it seems a bit redundant to use 'bråstopper' immediately after 'plutselig.' I also looked up 'lomme' and suspect that there must be another English translation for this word besides just 'pocket.'

In any event here is my best attempt at a translation of this sentence:

Suddely the bus driver made an abrupt stop in the bus (pocket?)and shouted that everyone must get out of the bus.

Last edited by nordby1; May 5th, 2007 at 02:17.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 21:47
Legend

Quote:
– Det begynte å lukte brent, og vi ropte til sjåføren. Først sa alle at det sikkert ikke var så farlig, men vi syntes ikke det var noe særlig.

Plutselig bråstopper sjåføren i en busslomme og roper at alle må ut av bussen.
You did well. I would translate it like this:

- There was a slight smell of smoke, which we told the driver about. At first everyone said that it's probably nothing serious, but that didn't mean that we were comfortable with the situation.

Suddenly the driver stopped the bus in a pocket by the road and shouted that everyone had to leave the bus.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 02:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
You did well. I would translate it like this:

- There was a slight smell of smoke, which we told the driver about. At first everyone said that it's probably nothing serious, but that didn't mean that we were comfortable with the situation.

Suddenly the driver stopped the bus in a pocket by the road and shouted that everyone had to leave the bus.
'Tusen takk for helpen.' I like your translation better. I'm still not sure what the best English translation would be for 'busslomme,' but I don't think we would use 'pocket' here. Perhaps 'bus stop' is most appropriate. Just in case someone else has a better translation, here is the link to a picture of a typical busslomme.

One of the problems for me is that our public transportation is so terrible in San Diego and in southern California in general that I have to admit that I have never taken the bus once in all of the years I have lived in San Diego. I did however take public transportation nearly every day that I was in Oslo last fall and when I lived in Nordstrand in June 2005 I was taking the bus to the National Theater just about every weekday morning.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2007, 08:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Team Strømmen decides to fly this time

Kvittet seg med trønderkomplekset

Quote:
Fløy hjem

Etter busshavariet på vei hjem fra Trøndelag natt til 1. mai valgte Team Strømmen å reise via luftveien i går. Turen hjem fra bortekampen mot Kattem ble dramatisk for spillerne. En brannutvikling i bussen førte til at flere av jentene nå helst vil fly hjem igjen fra enkelte av bortekampene. I går fikk de "belønning" i form av sikker transport hjem igjen.

– Vi flyr hjem denne gangen. Den forrige turen hjem fra Trondheim fikk et litt for dramatisk utfall, mimret Riise.
Could someone please translate "Kvittet seg med trønderkomplekset"into English for me?

I also haven't been able to find an English translation for busshavariet.

På forhånd takk!

Last edited by nordby1; June 6th, 2007 at 02:56.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2007, 02:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

The Trønder complex has ended?

Quote:
Kvittet seg med trønderkomplekset

Could someone please translate "Kvittet seg med trønderkomplekset"into English for me?

På forhånd takk!
I know that one possible translation of kvitt is "quit," so if I had to guess I would say it might be something along the lines of "The Trønder complex has ended."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2007, 07:28
Legend

You're pretty much spot on. It just means that Strømmen ended their complex against teams from Trøndelag.

ble kvitt = got rid of

busshavariet

havari = collapse or accident. When a ship sinks it's usually called havari.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in