Denmark's road to EURO 2008 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 14:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Denmark's road to EURO 2008

Well... with the previous absence of such a tread we're a bunch of nation defying twats, clearly .

Anyway - got inspired by having looked at Belfast Telegraph these last days, and everything coming from players and manager Lawrie Sanchez say they're gunning for at least a point, and Sanchez is seriously talking about N.Ireland having a shot at qualification.

Then I looked down their squad and - vet goalies apart - saw that there's an Aston Villa guy and a Man. United reserve, and everyone else are playing in sub divisions. Admittedly I couldn't help chuckling, as - player by player - they're the fifth best team in the group.

However - they beat Spain.... and Leeds striker Healey got a hattrick, which says a lot about modern football (and eternal Spanish fluffiness I guess), so if the three points at stake didn't make it a given - its a game to take seriously.

Just the same - we should get a convincing win in this first game of the post-Gravesen era.

Personally I always thought Daniel Jensen was a neat player, but he really shouldn't be a mainstay on the NT I think.

Apart from this conondrum Rommedahl and Grønkjær are both injured, so it's Løvenkrands or Jan Kristiansen on the right wing, with Kahlenberg on the left - switching with Jørgensen.

Personally - particularly at home against a team like N. Ireland - I'd have liked to see:

---------------Bendtner
------------Jon Dahl
Kahlenberg---ClausJensen---Jørgensen
-----------'King Poulsen'
N. Jensen--Agger Gravgaard--Jacobsen
--------------Sørensen

Sure - it's very much an attacking lineup, but its also the most interesting - and potentially delightful - one we can play.

Wouldn't try it away to Spain.... but you know.

Prediction: Denmark 2 or 3 - 0 Northern Ireland

APATHY: A word now fallen into disuse due to a lack of concern for it.

The debute said it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guo5p...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 14:52
Premier Player

Good luck
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 17:59
Xtratime Legend

Bendtner will single handedly beat Northern Ireland on his own.

Not that that is hard or anything. p

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 20:31
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Bendtner coming on after 73 minutes.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 21:35
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jern Lizardhous
Bendtner coming on after 73 minutes.
Yes, and that was 73 minutes too late.:thmbdown:
(had a good couple of actions but not enough time)

It's becoming more and more of a trend that we struggle against teams that pack themselves in the middle of the pitch with a low defensive line, so clueless we wére at times. I thought we did enough to secure the 3 points despite all that, but in the end we'll miss every point we don't secure at home. Next match should be a certain win and hopefully we'll hammer Sweden when that time comes.
Hope Spain sticks with Aragones, with that clueless clown in charge 1rd or 2nd place should still be within our reach, but we can't afford to drop anymore points at home.

MOM: Christian Poulsen.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 21:36
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onree
Bendtner will single handedly beat Northern Ireland on his own.

Not that that is hard or anything. p

must be hard if Spain, England, Serbia and Portugal cant do it.

Disappointing for the Danes in you had your big wingers playing (Rommedahl and Gronkjaer) you would have ripped us apart, Evans isnt a left back, the first decent right winger he comes up against i fear he may crumble lets hope he doesnt.

Ni always seem to do weel against the big teams such as those listened above however its the smaller teams such as Iceland that are our main stumbling block, the game on wednesday againstr Latvia will show if NI's mental attitude is correct or not.

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 21:41
Premier Player

Unfortunate draw. But I'm sure you'll improve.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2006, 22:01
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic07
Hope Spain sticks with Aragones, with that clueless clown in charge 1rd or 2nd place should still be within our reach, but we can't afford to drop anymore points at home.
Well, in any case... both Puyol and Sergio Ramos are out in Spain's next match against Denmark, because of the yellow card's they received against Sweden ..
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 03:25
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceres
Well, in any case... both Puyol and Sergio Ramos are out in Spain's next match against Denmark, because of the yellow card's they received against Sweden ..
Which at present point isn't sure of even being bad for them.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 06:58
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba
must be hard if Spain, England, Serbia and Portugal cant do it.
Bendtner needs more than 20mins to work his magic. :undecide:
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 16:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Sickening.

Well done to the N.Ireland boys who fought with all they had, but it is simply unacceptable that such a simple side isn't beaten at home.

It is another indication of how unable Olsen's side is when going up against an organised ultra defence, and how the system he loves so much is just not very dangerous if the wings don't get behind the defence, as Tomasson can't do squat one on one.

Bendtner did more in the 20 minutes he was on than the attacking trio of Jon Dahl, Kahlenberg and Løvenkrands ( ) did in the entire match - because he tries to beat his marker and is opportunistic.

In the end the line-up looked an adventurous one, and it was, but it's absolutely bizarre that Olsen waits this long with a game that clearly doesn't work.

More so when after the game he says that he was content with the play in the first half and the midfield distribution "where we found space" in his words . Of course we did. There were no opponents as they were standing in and around the penalty area!

For me - the only ones turning in acceptable performances were Gravgaard, Poulsen, Jørgensen and Bendtner. Daniel Jensen sucked and Agger had positioning difficulties again. Jon Dahl was awful, Kahlenberg and Lars Jacobsen were very bland, Løvenkrands downright pathetic, and Niclas.... needs a lot of match practise (goes for name sake Claus as well). Showed how creative and important he can be in the first half, but also that he is slowing down and is a hazard on the defensive end.

Two points lost.

NB: The N.I fans are a lot of fun to meet in the city .

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 18:32
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Sickening.

NB: The N.I fans are a lot of fun to meet in the city .

well we are officially the best fans in Europe

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2006, 20:45
Legend

Teams: Liverpool
You're winning 4-0 against Lichenstein. Give Dan Agger, motm.

lucas21
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 10:39
Legend

Agger broke his fecking hand

lucas21
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 10:40
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Online
Agger broke his fecking hand
not a good International break for you lot then?

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 11:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jern Lizardhous
not a good International break for you lot then?
Not particularly, but not all bad either. It was ridiculous that we didn't beat N.Ireland. The 0-4 win was a professional outing against a pub-team. OK. Suppose seven points from the first three is not really a disaster, but given Sweden's 100% record - having beaten Spain - those two give-away points against Northern Ireland could prove costly in the end for us, also in terms of a cushion for second spot. But I still think we're better than Sweden, and I suppose we'll just have to show that in the direct match-ups.

Bad breaks for Agger, Bendtner and Sørensen injury-wise, but for the NT it matters less, as there's plenty of time to recuperate them for the Spain match (too bad that we'll get them at a time they can't be worse off than now despite absenties). For the pool guys - don't worry - Agger can still play. Just has to wear a protective shin, and he'll be fine.

On the positive note - two debutants had their time yesterday. OK - Dennis Sørensen will likely never play again, but he did pretty much OK. Michael Krohn-Dehli on the other hand is rather talented. In a few years he and Kasper Lorentzen will likely be pushing.

Jon Dahl got two more for the record book (44 goals in 87 matches I think) with two great goals in the second half after another sickening display in the first half. I really hope he gets out of Stuttgart in January to go somewhere they'll play him right (goes for Morten Olsen too - Jon is NOT an area striker. Deal with it!).

Romme****eren got the party started again with a brilliant assist. In the absence of players who can beat several men and go for goal - we really depend upon his speed. In form he is a must for this team, and I can't help thinking we would have beaten N.Ireland if he had been there, as their left back was pants.

Christian Poulsen is one of the best DM's in the world today .

Another clean sheet (OK - we haven't met anyone dangerous yet, but it builds confidence - Gravgaard and Lars Jacobsen are definately ready for a jump to a bigger league - pity as it would be for FCK).

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 12:05
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Not particularly, but not all bad either. It was ridiculous that we didn't beat N.Ireland. The 0-4 win was a professional outing against a pub-team. OK. Suppose seven points from the first three is not really a disaster, but given Sweden's 100% record - having beaten Spain - those two give-away points against Northern Ireland could prove costly in the end for us, also in terms of a cushion for second spot. But I still think we're better than Sweden, and I suppose we'll just have to show that in the direct match-ups.

While most ppl perhaps expected it to be just as easy as it looked, then I'm actually quite happy with the big 4-0 away win in Liechtenstein. I think ppl tend to forget that Liechtenstein is a much better team than the likes of Luxembourg, Malta or Kazakhstan.

In the WC-06 qualifiers they beat Luxembourg 3-0 at home and 4-0 away, and besides their two draws at home against Portugal (2-2) and Slovakia (0-0), they only lost 1-2 at home to Russia and they also got fairly close to getting a point in Portugal (losing 1-2 in the end). So they are not quite as bad a team as it may look in the Standings so far.... Dont forget that they actually did cause Sweden some trouble.

Otherwise I agree, we got a better squad than Sweden... also... Sweden may have 12 points at the moment, but if you look at their actual performance and results agaist Iceland and Liechtenstein they have not performed quite as well as Denmark and then ofcause Sweden could also lose points to a team like N. Ireland, just like it happened to Spain and Denmark.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 12:48
Premier Player

Sweden always choke(performance-wise, not always result) against weaker opposition these days. But usually when we are up against strong opposition we play well(with the expection of the games against Germany).

So far this qualifier this has proven to be true. We haven't done particulary well against Iceland and Liechtenstein, but when we played against Spain we put up an excellent performance; exploiting their every weakness, although we didn't have much ball possesion.

Despite this I am worried about the games against Denmark. Player by player I think Denmark beat Sweden. The players I feel I can rely on to perform well these days are Isaksson/Shaaban, Hansson, Mellberg, Linderoth, Källström, Ljungberg and Elmander. That still leaves 3-4 players which may cost us the game. Lagerbäck should seriously consider trying out some new players before we meet Denmark. Maybe Ishizaki and Rosenberg
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 13:20
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceres
While most ppl perhaps expected it to be just as easy as it looked, then I'm actually quite happy with the big 4-0 away win in Liechtenstein. I think ppl tend to forget that Liechtenstein is a much better team than the likes of Luxembourg, Malta or Kazakhstan.

In the WC-06 qualifiers they beat Luxembourg 3-0 at home and 4-0 away, and besides their two draws at home against Portugal (2-2) and Slovakia (0-0), they only lost 1-2 at home to Russia and they also got fairly close to getting a point in Portugal (losing 1-2 in the end). So they are not quite as bad a team as it may look in the Standings so far.... Dont forget that they actually did cause Sweden some trouble.
You're right, I expected Lichtenstein to be a dreadful team as they are and wére last night. I really wonder how they managed to draw Portugal, Slovakia, etc, probably they managed to do so with a more conservative approach than what they tried to do against Denmark, which proved to be suicide for them. They shot themselves in the foot with that tactic, and played to our advantages, which most likely explains why the victory never was in any sort of danger, besides the fact that we are a better team in every single aspect. In particular Rommedahl got all the space in the world and we should probably have won 10-0 if it hadn't been for the lack of a cool finish infront of the goal. But credit to them for not parking the bus in their own half, for then to work it out from there.
I think Northern Ireland should've done the same thing as Lichtenstein did yesterday when we met them in Parken, surely would've been welcomed

Christian Poulsen is simply growing every time I see him play.
He's always been a smart player in his defensive work, closing the right gaps, tactical fouling, etc, when he then starts to spray perfect long passes all over the park...well..Let's just say It's a treat to watch.
One year from now on, he could/should be even better, having in mind the technical football he's going to get accustomed to in Sevilla, La Liga.

Christian Poulsen.

As for Sweden: Impossible to say anything now. Injuries for key players, bad form or whatelse could decide the final outcome. There's not much between the two teams, but I am more than confident.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 13:43
Legend

How old is Gravgaard and what player does he resemble?

Also who is seen as Denmarks biggest star? Poulsen?

lucas21

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in