Best Nordic League? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2006, 00:50 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Best Nordic League?

Wich league do you rate highest of the Nordic leagues?
I believe that the Norwegian league is of best quality, danish is the second best, while the Swedish Allsvenskan is only thrid best. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2006, 18:50
Star Player

I think the Norwegians think the Norwegian league is the best. The Swedes think Allsvenskan. The Danish think SAS/FAXe league or whatever it's called. And the poor misguided Finns doesn't realize they are far behind the 3 good Nordic leagues.

The Norwegian teams seems to do best in the UEFA cups, but the Royal League gives another impression..

As long as Brann is the best Nordic team, I don't really care about the quality of the leagues
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2006, 20:28
Rising Star

Landsbankadeildin, the Icelandic League is the best

IA are the number 1 Nordic club :smileani:

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2006, 21:52
Premier Player

Teams: Czech Rep Nat, Sparta Praha, Chelsea, Moldavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter
I think the Norwegians think the Norwegian league is the best. The Swedes think Allsvenskan. The Danish think SAS/FAXe league or whatever it's called. And the poor misguided Finns doesn't realize they are far behind the 3 good Nordic leagues.

The Norwegian teams seems to do best in the UEFA cups, but the Royal League gives another impression..

As long as Brann is the best Nordic team, I don't really care about the quality of the leagues

Whats going on with Norwegian teams this year? One lost to a team from Estonia, another barely beat a team from Northern Ireland at home and of course your reigning champions were knocked out of Champions League at 2nd qualification round. Is there really much quality beside Rosenborg who are not even in the cups this year
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2006, 23:31
Rising Star

Teams: Brann, Lazio, Benfica.
Barely beat a team from Northern Ireland? Brann didn't do anything more than they had to. Because they were lazy. They played on the same level as their opposition and were happy just as long as they won. Winner of the league last year, VIF, have serious problems this season. Nothing seems to be right with the team. Their attacking skills are crap. When they have a match where they can score there is problem with the defence. So they don't even win those matches. Teams like Molde and Start are the same. Good last year, bad this year. Fighting against relegation.

Sk Brann, Lillestrøm SK, Rosenborg and Odd are teams that should have been in the European cups this year. They are the best teams in Norway for the moment. Along with Stabæk. Rosenborg are traditionally the best Norwegian team in Europe, but they would face the same problems as the other teams do now as their squad is not as good as it was before. Besides there are various problems in the club. They can't play at their most optimal level even though thy have the strongest squad in Norway. The reason is very difficult to say why. Probably there is too much insecurity in the team when they lose as much as they have done the last seasons. If there is some justice in this world Brann will win the league and fight hard for a Champions League spot next year.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2006, 00:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

We will most likely see 2, maybe even 3 norwegian teams in the next round of the Uefa cup. Brann played the reserves today, but will of course win in Sweden if they want to. The swedish teams where knocked out by irish and welsh teams, and the only remaining team will loose to Brann. There is a big difference between "nearly beaten" and "beaten". About the danish league. As far as I can see, the danish players that moves to the Norwegian league are most often top players in the danish league, while the players going in the opposite direction are almost always players that can't make it to the first team in the norwegian clubs, or wants to make a move just to try another country. This is with the exception of FC Copenhagen.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2006, 00:37
Rising Star

Teams: Brann, Lazio, Benfica.
Regarding FC København. Watch out for AaB this season. They have started ever so strong. 4 victories, 11-2 in goal difference. I have seen them live on Aalborg stadium. Even Fredrik Winsenes looked like quality. This is a bit off topic, but I must say that I hope they win instead of the boring Copenhagen teams.

About the rest. I agree. Norwegian league looks the strongest. Then again. FC København can get top players that have huge careers abroad. I mean players like Jesper Grønkjær, Marcus Allbäck and Andre Bergdølmo. Teams like Brann, VIF or RBK would have a lot more difficult to get such big name players. Regarding Sweden it looks like they send all their quality players abroad. Leaving Allsvenskan with the second best players. A team like AIK (my faves in Sweden) have way too many second rated players. Even if Wilton is class. Besides Swedish teams trust too much in Brazilian players like Quirinho, Almeida, Junior, Paulinho Guara, Dede Anderson and so on. These players are quite okay, but not that little extra that woul make Allsvenskan the best league in Scandinavia. This years Royal League with the Norwegian representatives (guessing) SK Brann, RBK, LSK and Stabæk will kick some ass I guess.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2006, 22:22
International

Normally I would have said the norwegian league, but considering the recent decline of Rosenborg I have to say that the danish league has surpassed us. The swedish one is sadly not enough to even mention. This due to all of their best players being sold to foreign teams at a very young age. They go to academies in teams like Feyenoord and Ajax for example. And they always fail in the european cups. The danish ones do it to, but to a lesser extent then the swedish ones who often (sadly) get embarrassed. And I agree with the last poster in amount of brazilians in the swedish league.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2006, 10:56
LetsCombYourHair

and you have yer scotsmen. hardly worth making an effort, defending allsvenskan: it is a mess and alot of changes has to be made. But on the other hand I dont see what we have to envy about a league where Nannskog and Tegelström are scoring goals, or a league that constantly signs flops from allsvenskan and players from superettan.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2006, 11:27
PM.
Rising Star

There is not enough money in the Swedish league, compared to the Danish and Norwegian leagues. That's the main reason allsvenskan falls behind.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2006, 11:54
Premier Player

Teams: Rosenborg
Comment on the Norwegian results in the European cups: This is a very bad year for us. The last years, Rosenborg have competed in the Champions League and had one good UEFA Cup season (2003/04), while Vålerenga, Viking, Tromsø and Lyn all have had good runs in the UEFA Cup.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2006, 15:20
Premier Player

I think our league has gotten so much more competetive that teams generally don't care as much about the European cups, because they know that they don't stand a chance there. This of course isn't true for the CL, cause it's a goldmine.

I also think we're not performing too hot in the European cups cause we're not producing many quality players anymore compared to other European nations, our teams are very reliant on foreigners.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2006, 18:59
Premier Player

Sadly, Norwegian and Danish league are way better than the Swedish one. I dont think many swedes believe otherwise. The fact we haven't had a team in Champions league for 6 years tells it all. What little money Swedish clubs have isn't being spent particulary wisely either, with the expection of signings from clubs like Malmö(Junior, J. Johansson) and Helsingborg(Henrik Larsson)
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2006, 12:44
Star Player

Quote:
This is true. :smileani:
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 12:02
Rising Star

The difference between the Norwegian league and the Danish is not so much the results in Europe. The Danish results seem a bit better this season in compare with the Norwegian results, while if you look at past results and the better Norwegian ranking the past 5 seasons, it very much depend on Rosenborg, while the rest of the Norwegian teams in average have collected fewer points for the Norwegian ranking than the average Danish teams have collected for the Danish ranking.

Danish teams have very much had trouble taking the UEFA cup qualifiers too seriously in the past (which now also seem to be the case for Norwegian teams, underrating their opponents).

Norwegian teams got the advantage of being more in season than Danish teams when the EC qualifiers kickes off, while Danish teams also suffer from the fact that much more Danish talent move abroad to the big European leagues during the season and just before the EC qualifiers, in compare with Norway. So it's only natural that Danish teams are a bit unstable in the EC. Still, player for player, the Danish league is no doubt better than the Norwegian, which clearly shows in U21 NT and A-NT results and ranking and the fact that teams from the top 5-6 biggest leagues in Europe keep buying Danish Superliga players in rather great numbers, while ther is very little export from the Norwegian league to the top leagues.. I mean, Danish Brøndby alone have sold players worth atleast €20 million the past year or so (Agger € 8.5m, Elmander € 5m, Kahlenberg €4m, Skoubo, €2.5m, Jonas Kamper €?k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakij
About the danish league. As far as I can see, the danish players that moves to the Norwegian league are most often top players in the danish league, while the players going in the opposite direction are almost always players that can't make it to the first team in the norwegian clubs, or wants to make a move just to try another country. This is with the exception of FC Copenhagen.
This is not correct. If you look at the Danish/foreign players who have moved from Denmark to Norways the past few seasons, most of them had either been handed free transfers or considered to be bench sitters or misfits (Peter Ijeh (Nig), Dan Anton Johansen, David Nielsen, Jacob "Taz" Sørensen, Ole Tobiasen, Marco Reda (Can), Allan Gaarde), while Nicolai Stokholm was great some years back but had not played well for a while when he moved to Norway. Rasmus Daugaard I guess was reagarded to be a fairly good Superliga player but only Allan K. Jepsen and Søren Berg was considered to be among the top players in the league in their position. But then Berg also had turned 30 and wanted to move abroad to earn some $ before he reitire, which is the case with most of the Danes moving to Norway.

If you look at the players moving from Norway to Denmark this and last season it was players like Brede Hangeland, Kristian Flittie Onstad, Fredrik Winsnes, Bechara Oliveira (Brazil), Robbie Russell (USA), Morten Fevang, Roger Risholt, Rune "Elvis" Hagen, Magne Sturød... So I dont think that ther is much of a difference in quality. I guess that the biggest difference is age, since the Norwegian players moving to Denmark is for the most part still in their early or mid 20's, while this is not the case for most of the Danish players who move to Norway.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 12:39
Rising Star

Bullshit.
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 14:47
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser
Bullshit.
Hardly, since it's based on cold facts and figures. You cant explain away that it's has been Rosenborg alone, keeping Norway ahead of Denmark in the EC ranking the past years. The results in the EC so far this season just confirm the fact that the average Norwegian league team collect fewer points for the Norwegian ranking than the average Danish team. This is how it has been in the past, and this is also how it looks so far this season.

It's also difficult to explain away that the Danish league produce much more talents who moves abroad to the top 5-6 biggest leagues in Europe every season. It has alway been this way and it is still even more so this past year. It's also a fact that the Danish U21 NT is 4 on the UEFA ranking, while the Norwegian U21's are in 14th place and Sweden 17 (based on the past 4 years results).

The Norwegian league got more foreign players, but ther is nothing to point in the direction that they should be of better quality. The foreigners most represented in Norway are from Sweden, Denmark and Iceland I belive. In Denmark it is Sweden, Nigeria, Norway and Brazil. If I'm not mistaken then ther were a bit more Swedish players earning their wages in Norway in compare with Denmark last season, still 4 of the Swedes in Denmark got selected for the Swedish NT to play at the WC finals, while only one of the Swedes playing in Norway made it to the WC. The few Norwegians playing in Denmark also have won far more caps for the Norwegian NT in compare with caps won by Danes playing in Norway.
---

Btw, not that it matters much in this discussion, but this is small statistic of how the countries did in the Scandinavian Royal League this past 2005/06 season :

Norway vs. Sweden : 25 vs. 19 points, Score: 20-19
Denmark vs. Norway: 24 vs. 9 points, Score: 17- 8
Sweden vs. Denmark: 16 vs. 14 points, Score: 16-17

It's was just about the same pattern in the 2004 season.

Last edited by Ceres; August 15th, 2006 at 14:54.
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 16:59
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbtv
Besides Swedish teams trust too much in Brazilian players like Quirinho, Almeida, Junior, Paulinho Guara, Dede Anderson and so on. These players are quite okay, but not that little extra that woul make Allsvenskan the best league in Scandinavia.
'Junior' was absolutely top class when he played in the Danish league, getting selected as the 2nd best player of the spring season in the Superliga.... So much better than any of the Danes who have moved to Norway. But then I belive Malmø also paid around €1.6m to get him, despite the fact that he has turned 30.
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 20:50
Rookie

Quote:
And the poor misguided Finns doesn't realize they are far behind the 3 good Nordic leagues.
????

What? We don't know? Why do you think so? Of course we know. Most of finns don't give a shit about football. Icehockey/Formula 1 is our god. Football is small sport in Finland.

**** off icehockey and formula 1!!

Well what ever! I love my team no matter how bad they are.......

I don't follow much other Nordic leagues(only Allsvenskan matches from Canal+) but I know Litmanen was brilliant before the silly eye injury. Best Allsvenskan player?
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 21:40
Rising Star

What an uninteresting view Ceres once more has managed to revive in an attempt to mend his own pittyful ego.

What you Ceres call "Cold hard facts and figures", us others call individual interpretation of circumstantial figures. What constitutes a "fact" in this matter evidently depends on the eyes of the beholder. Though what is truly a fact, is that Norwegian teams in general have easily a better European record than Danish teams, no matter how many teams are involved in this fact. Norway has practically a monopoly on European competition in Scandinavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceres
Still, player for player, the Danish league is no doubt better than the Norwegian,
Hah. It makes a pretty funny read though. It sounds like a reality you WISHED were real, instead of what is actually true. Pretty funny, and kinda sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in