Gambling scandal in Finland - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2006, 20:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: lierse, rode duivels
Gambling scandal in Finland

Last weekend there was a documentary on the Belgian television about players who were bribed by the Chinese gambling maffia. It named many players and also made a link to the AC Alliansi scandal. Could any of you guys contribute in this discussion and make clear how the investigation is going? I've tried searching Finnish sites but I don't speak the language which makes it kinda hard.
Thx.

ps: it would be nice if you contribute in the thread in the Belgian Forum

Help me, Jeebus!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 10:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: HJK, Lazio
Well this Chinese businessman Ye bought Allianssi last summer in the middle of the season. He appointed the belgian Oliver Suray as the general manager. Suray went on and on how Finnish players can't play so he immediately brought six players from Belgium. At the same time Allianssi's best player goalkeeper Sillanpää was sent to some Belgian club for a trial. He also replaced the coach by Thierry Pister.

The first game the "new" Allianssi plays, they lose 8-0 to Haka, with all the new players playing, including a goalkeeper that would have been laughed off from a 6th division match. Later it turns out that the match has been played with huge bets in China and elsewhere in East Asia. Something like €6 million more than usually, I seem to remember. Anyway, he bought Allianssi for much less, so a huge profit was made.

There were couple of other instances of Allianssi losing which seemed a bit fishy, but nothing like the first match. For the rest of the season Allianssi played ok, and two of the players from Belgium turned out to be ok (Chebaiki and La Placa). The rest were obviously just puppets in the scheme.

After the season Ye couldn't been found anywhere and Allianssi went bankrupt. Now they have lost their place in the First division and it's probably the end for the club. It's only a young club anyway without many fans, so it's not that big an outrage. But still terrible, of course.

Taught a lesson to everybody in Finnish football, though. In the summer there aren't many other leagues being played in the world so a lot of money is bet on our games. Since the salaries and budgets of teams are much lower than in bigger European leagues, a scam like this was bound to happen. I suppose they'll never get Ye for this, but I hope they nail that Suray bastard in Belgium and throw him in jail.

Irriducibili? No thanks, I'm a fan of Lazio.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 16:46
Rising Star

Just a short comment on manager Thierry Pister.

He was very popular and considered a very good manager by the majority of Allianssi players. I my own opinion, he's unlikely to have any part of this scandal. He explained that he didn't do any substitutions during the 8-0 loss because he wanted the under performing players left the pitch, to suffer for the embarrasing display. And I think this was an honest and true comment made by mr Pister.

Anyways, I love the hightlights from that game. It's impossible to describe how poorly the defensive game was handled.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 20:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
Well this Chinese businessman Ye bought Allianssi last summer in the middle of the season. He appointed the belgian Oliver Suray as the general manager. Suray went on and on how Finnish players can't play so he immediately brought six players from Belgium. At the same time Allianssi's best player goalkeeper Sillanpää was sent to some Belgian club for a trial. He also replaced the coach by Thierry Pister.

The first game the "new" Allianssi plays, they lose 8-0 to Haka, with all the new players playing, including a goalkeeper that would have been laughed off from a 6th division match. Later it turns out that the match has been played with huge bets in China and elsewhere in East Asia. Something like €6 million more than usually, I seem to remember. Anyway, he bought Allianssi for much less, so a huge profit was made.

There were couple of other instances of Allianssi losing which seemed a bit fishy, but nothing like the first match. For the rest of the season Allianssi played ok, and two of the players from Belgium turned out to be ok (Chebaiki and La Placa). The rest were obviously just puppets in the scheme.

After the season Ye couldn't been found anywhere and Allianssi went bankrupt. Now they have lost their place in the First division and it's probably the end for the club. It's only a young club anyway without many fans, so it's not that big an outrage. But still terrible, of course.

Taught a lesson to everybody in Finnish football, though. In the summer there aren't many other leagues being played in the world so a lot of money is bet on our games. Since the salaries and budgets of teams are much lower than in bigger European leagues, a scam like this was bound to happen. I suppose they'll never get Ye for this, but I hope they nail that Suray bastard in Belgium and throw him in jail.
La Placa is a good player but he is definitely one of 'them'. He has been suspended for three years now for trying to bribe a player from another team. Suray has been rumoured to have bribed a Brussels defender for 200.000 euro. The defender didn't take the money though.
Thanks for the info anyway. You can follow the rest over here:

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showth...=182504&page=1

Help me, Jeebus!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 20:30 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan
Just a short comment on manager Thierry Pister.

He was very popular and considered a very good manager by the majority of Allianssi players. I my own opinion, he's unlikely to have any part of this scandal. He explained that he didn't do any substitutions during the 8-0 loss because he wanted the under performing players left the pitch, to suffer for the embarrasing display. And I think this was an honest and true comment made by mr Pister.

Anyways, I love the hightlights from that game. It's impossible to describe how poorly the defensive game was handled.
Could very well be he wasn't in it. Although I do wonder why he selected an injured goalkeeper (who had problems standing up) who came from third division and hadn't played for years. He could have selected the youngster instead...

Help me, Jeebus!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2006, 07:21
Rookie

Teams: Finnish NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski
Could very well be he wasn't in it. Although I do wonder why he selected an injured goalkeeper (who had problems standing up) who came from third division and hadn't played for years. He could have selected the youngster instead...
Pister's excuse was that they needed to see how well their new recruitments could play because right after the match against Haka they had an important uefa cup game ahead of them. Suray, who allegedly knew Goffin very well, said that Goffin's only problem is that he is not perhaps the most mentally balanced guy but physically he was ok to play against Haka.

Interesting is how Mr. Ye's cash flows dried up right after he had bought the club. Suray told that none of the players or the staff got their pay checks after august. They didn't pay their rent for the stadium or any other obligations to anybody. They kept loaning out and selling their best players all the time. Maximizing profit was their main priority all the time despite their "plans" that made some think that Mr. Ye could well be the biggest investor that Finnish football has ever seen.

I remember that Ye was backed up at the beginning of the takeover by some Belgian club's (ex-) general manager or football director. This was later mentioned as the main reason why everybody thought that Ye was serious with his plans to achieve lots of trophies and glory with Allianssi. But does anyone remember who was that man that originally helped Ye to make this takeover possible?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2006, 12:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Pister might have been a good coach, but either he was forced to field all the new players by Suray, or he was in the scam. A good coach like him doesn't make that kind of a mistakes. That Goffin guy was not a keeper at all. You could have found a better keeper from any of the Myyrmanni pubs before the match.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2006, 12:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi
I remember that Ye was backed up at the beginning of the takeover by some Belgian club's (ex-) general manager or football director. This was later mentioned as the main reason why everybody thought that Ye was serious with his plans to achieve lots of trophies and glory with Allianssi. But does anyone remember who was that man that originally helped Ye to make this takeover possible?
Was there somebody other than Suray mentioned at that point? I really can't remember anymore. But it's amazing that more people didn't smell the rat. I mean, why on earth would a Chinese businessman by Allianssi? Only to make money, there's no two ways about it. And you just don't make money in Finnish football. Not legally, at least...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in