Denmark NT: Now What? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2005, 21:08 Thread Starter
Flop
International

Teams: S.S. Lazio
Denmark NT: Now What?

Yes we sadly failed to qualify to the World Cup. It's a tough one to swallow since we haven't been out of a major competition since the USA 94.

So what went wrong? It's important to remember that we didn't miss the qualification last night or on Saturday. We threw it away much earlier when we weren't ready in Greece and that embarrassing draw against Georgia among other lacklustre results. Full congrats to Ukraine and Turkey. They gained the points necesarry and it's well deserved.

There are some one and a half year to the next important match for our NT. It seems unreal but that's the way it is. In the meantime we have the chance to make adjustments in friendlies and make adjustments for the next qualifiers.

The last six month or so our team have been playing very well and we have discovered quite a few new players to have come on to take an enormous responsibility. We have a lot of good things going for us right now so there are no need for a major re-shuffle on the player side.

Goalkeeping is pretty safe with three very decent keepers. Thomas Sørensen might be first choice now but Stephan Andersen is young and is currently doing well in Charlton, while Jesper Christiansen is solid too.

Defence was a major problem especially early in the qualifiers and although injuries kept haunting us, there has been a real revelation in defence lately. Michael Gravgaard, Per Krøldrup and especially Daniel Agger are class centre backs and two of those must be starters. Add to that players like Thomas Gaardsøe a Leaon Andreasen on the up, and even Martin Laursen if he ever gets back to football as backups we are well off indeed. Per Nielsen has done well but it's time to part ways with him.

On the backs Brian Priske is the real deal on the right with Bøgelund as a possible back-up. Left back is our problem and while Niclas Jensen is doing fairly well he isn't getting any younger and there is no obvious replacement. Thomas Helveg has served the NT extrodinarily but he is finished. I hope he quits for his own sake.

Thomas Gravesen and Christian Poulsen are automatic starters in midfield and although Gravesen has played sub-par in more than a few matches with annoying bad passes he posses that little extra sometimes. Poulsen just keep on growing. He's not spectacular but he does a tremendous job in defending. I wouldn't want to play directly opposite him. He must be such a pain in the ass for the opponent. Claus Jensen is a good offensive weapon if used correct. There is a gap in quality to the reserves like Daniel Jensen but he is okay. Martin Retov is a possibility too. Rasmus Würz must get a chance soon and he is promising.

On the wings there is a flood of players and while Martin Jørgensen seems to be a starter now he can easily be overtaken by a guy like Kahlenberg who is off to a flying start in Auxerre. When Grønkjær gets back in shape he is my favourite for the right. There are many others for the wings like Peter Løvenkrands, Michael Silberbauer, Kenneth Perez and Dennis Rommedahl. Yes, he can't pass to save his life but he has a knack for scoring goals.

Attack has been a problem but Jon Dahl is great if used correctly with a partner next to him. And that partner should be Søren Larsen. I'm convinced now. He has done great and he should be a starter. We have good starters in attack but no quality back-up.

So no major player clear-out but I do think it's time for Morten Olsen to say goodbye. Overall he has done well with this team but he is way too conservative with his system which he won't change. The system has been figured out and everyone knows how to play us now. Close down Gravesen and give no room for the wings and we're done. And to put it brutally honest: Morten Olsen has failed the task and there's no reason to keep him on.

But a big problem is that there are no obvious coach to take over. Michael Laudrup is not ready and besides he plays the same system as Morten. I'd say Keld Bordingaard is the best national bid but I wouldn't mind a foreign coach.

Yada, yada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2005, 02:26
Rising Star

Teams: FC København
Nice review

Formerly known as Kroldrup
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2005, 13:18
Rising Star

Excellent review... I'll just add a few words... We got plenty of top class central defenders as written by Biancoceleste, but it should not be forgotten that Leon Andreasen is just as talented as a defencive midfielder and also was signed as such by Werder Bremen, so I think his future is in central midfield...

In attack we now got a real striker, Søren Larsen, but we should not forget Morten "Duncan" either, who is the topscorer in both the Superliga and on the U21 NT, not to forget that he's the youngest player ever to have played 100 games in the Superliga, being only 20-yo... Surely a NT Star of the future as well...

I'm quite sure Morten Olsen will stay as coach two more years ...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2005, 16:46 Thread Starter
Flop
International

Good point about Leon. I forgot he could play in midfield aswell. It's always good to have that kind of versatility in the squad.

I had no idea Werder signed him as a midfielder though.

Yada, yada
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2005, 20:40
Rookie

Now what

I do believe the qualification was lost at the beginning with home draws against Ukraine and Greece.
There were obvious problems with injuries, and also some other bad team selections. I agree with the young players you mention and just would add a few others.

Denmark, began to shine at the start of the 80's with a blend of mature players with pery promising young ones who were barely in their twenties.

After Piontek I've watched as Johansson, Moller Nielsen and Morten Olsen have omited young guys in favor of veterans which means that players are lacking from international experience.

For example Bjarne Goldbaek or Peter Nielsen had most of their caps in their late twenties.

What was Bran Steen Nielsen doing at WC 02 in Japan, where Mads Jorgensen could have been included?...

Bo Henriksen was exposed in Euro 2000, and despite that he kept playing even in Euro 2004...

That king of things can´t continue to happen. I've used a clear example in this forum some other times. In 92 Sweden hosted the Euro, and thier starting CB's were Joakim Bjorklund and Patrik Andersson, just 21 at the moment. They were given the chance and came to shine internationally.

Regarding the NT. I admired Olsen as a sweeper, being one of the best of his generation (when he played as a SW) even after he was 30. Maybe he didn't get recognition because he is not dutch or german.

But I do believe he has made important team naming mistakes in the Qualifying rounds. But looking behind him I don't believe Michael LAudrup has the experience to manage the NT at this moment. In the future he surely can. If the DBU retains Olsen, I think he'll need better assistant coaches (instead of Bordinggard) a vert strong friendlies campaign for next year, a new project involving more young players anda discard those who'll be too old in two years) and realize he must have a variety of options, ecause you can't play the same way for 4 years.

If he decides to quit, the only danish coach with int'l experience is Ebbe Skovdahl (Portugal and Scotland) but I don't know about his abilities or style.

The other danish coaches have had more or less success in the Superliga.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2005, 17:30
Rising Star

Out: Krøldrup, Helveg, Laursen, Jørgensen, Sørensen, Jensen

In: Leon Andreasen, Bo Henriksen, Duncan, Kristian Bak and PimPong

Here we come
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2005, 18:17 Thread Starter
Flop
International

Be serious, please. *

*if you are being serious I'll have to question your sanity.

Yada, yada
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:40
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancoceleste
Be serious, please. *

*if you are being serious I'll have to question your sanity.
He's serious actually. Always is saying that FCM is a world wonder

And it's funny how his opinions always match Rimmer's. I wonder if they are the same person or something.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2005, 09:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroldrup
He's serious actually. Always is saying that FCM is a world wonder

And it's funny how his opinions always match Rimmer's. I wonder if they are the same person or something.
Bo Henriksen never played at FCM you foul and the same goes for Duncan and Leon !!!!!

Speaking Rimmer, then he seems to know a lot more about football than you, but I sure don't understand his Vejle-thing. He also seems to have left this Forum, a bit strange since he still post in another forum where you also spread your bull :thmbdown:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2005, 23:26
Rookie

Calm down.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2005, 23:29
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo FC
Bo Henriksen never played at FCM you foul and the same goes for Duncan and Leon !!!!!

Speaking Rimmer, then he seems to know a lot more about football than you, but I sure don't understand his Vejle-thing. He also seems to have left this Forum, a bit strange since he still post in another forum where you also spread your bull :thmbdown:
I'm referring to Pimpong you fool. Pimpong isn't even Danish, and he's played for the Ghanian youth side before that won the youth World Cup. Apparently you had no idea of that. Krøldrup and Jørgensen out? Apparently you've become Rimmer's idol. Jørgensen is one of the best foreigners in Italy, a long time now, and Krøldrup is just a world class defender. Just injury prone.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 23:35
Rising Star

Just to clear a few things up, then Razak Pimpong has actually spoken about perhaps getting a Danish citizenship so that he can play for Denmark, if he's not selected for the Ghana WC squad...

Personally I think it's an empty threat, since he played all 3 games for Ghana at the Olympics in Athens. By doing this, I doubt he could ever get a permission to play for Denmark...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2005, 01:36
Rising Star

He's been constantly picked for the Ghanian NT, but he's never gained a cap. He'll play for Ghana. Playing for FCK will just take him a step higher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in