PSV V Zenit (Europa League last 32 19/02/2015) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2015, 08:02 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

PSV V Zenit (Europa League last 32 19/02/2015)

After playing an abundance of friendlies, we return to competitive action for the first time in almost 3 months next week.

The Dutch League leaders will tackle the Russian League leaders.

Early team news, we have no major doubts about any of our regular starting 11, Garay returned to main group a couple of days after injury and should be fit to start alongside Lombaerts. The only player who didn't travel to Spain for our recent training camp is Fayzulin, not sure on the latest on him but he probably wouldn't have started, we don't of course need our quota of Russian players in the Europa League.

I'm going for this line up -

Lodygin
Smolynkov
Garay
Lombaerts
Criscito
Garcia
Witsel
Hulk
Danny (Captain)
Shatov
Rondon

We are normally start off really poorly in away European matches when we return from our winter break. Even when we won the Europa League/UEFA Cup back in 2008 we lost 3-1 at Marseille before knocking them out at home and we have repeated the feat numerous times since then, i.e. losing away from home and giving us too much to do in the home leg.

We are better away from home than in previous years, we have won 7 out of our last 13 away European matches - We have beaten the likes of Dortmund, Benfica, Porto and AC Milan on our travels. These results are all not straight after our almost 3 month break though.

Vital we get an away goal and don't lose by more than 1 goal. A scoring draw would be a good result.

Let's go Zenit!

Last edited by CDG; February 13th, 2015 at 08:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2015, 00:16
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Zenit, Russia NT
Something is up with Lombaerts. He didn't play in either friendly in Spain. And if Garay isn't fit enough to play yet then we're looking at a Neto-Criscito CB partnership.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2015, 05:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
p.s.v is fav here.

great run in the league,zenit can not be in the best form.

neto/criscito lol....,i think javi will play as cb.

where is the fourth cb?

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2015, 07:13 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber View Post
p.s.v is fav here.

great run in the league,zenit can not be in the best form.

neto/criscito lol....,i think javi will play as cb.

where is the fourth cb?
Thanks for visiting Zenit in their Spanish training camp Kleber.

There was a photo floating around of Witsel being introduced to your Pet Donkey Miguel and giving it a quick pat.

Here it is

http://instagram.com/p/y8E16shQIa/?modal=true

Nice one buddy. Wouldn't surprise me if you paint your face Blue and White before Zenit play.

The word Ultra is made for you, would not be surprised in the slightest if you crap Blue and White.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2015, 17:34 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Zenit have an open practise tomorrow.

AVB attended the AZ V PSV yesterday evening.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 08:28 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

We should know in the next few days if Danny sign's a new contract at Zenit.

He will complete 7 years at Zenit in August and his contract finishes at the end of the current season.

Is he our best ever player?

For me he is has been very very consistent, he has had 2 major losses of 2 losses of form, in the current season for around 2 months - September - November was the second time. The first time was at the end of the 2012-2013 season, this questioned many people when interviewed on our site if Danny was finished as a player, I don't have enough fingers to quote the number of fans who all said Danny was their favourite player and they all thought he was done as a player, well he wasn't and he scored 16 goals in 30 matches the following season.

He was won 2 Russian Premier League at Zenit, 1 UEFA Super Cup including scoring the winning goal v Manchester United, 1 Russian Cup and 1 Russian Super Cup.

By the way, here is his winning goal v Manchester United which he scored on his debut after his 30 Million Euro move from Dynamo Moscow. Brilliant strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohzr0RN4P48
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 08:30 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Right on queue, couldn't have timed it any better if I tried, here is Danny's latest interview done just a few mins ago about PSV, the Europa League and his contract.

Danny: «We are only thinking about victory in the Europa Cup»

The Blue-White-Sky Blues captain spoke about PSV, his position on his contract and their preparation to the season.

All about game

— Good morning. There are many fans who are expecting «Zenit» to win the Europa Cup entirely, what do you thin about that?
— We have a good team, good players, we have been here before and we need to do better in the Europa League than we did in the Champions League. We need to win because we have a good quality team and this is a really important tournament for us and we hope to win this cup.

— In the past some of the captains have tried to manage the relationship between the players and the coach. Can you, as captain, help Kerzhakov play a role in the upcoming matches for Zenit?
— We don’t have any problems in the team. Kerzhakov is an amazing player, everybody knows what he can do on the pitch. He scores a lot and of course he is going to help us in this game and the next one because we need all of our players to do the best and he is always training well and he is going to give 100% and help us in this game and all the remaining ones as well.

— Generally you don’t make a lot of time for journalists. What is your presence her associated with, did the coach ask you to be here?
— No, no one said you need to come here. They asked and I said yes. I don’t need to talk all of the time, I need to do my best on the pitch and sometimes I want to talk and sometimes I don’t. For me I don’t feel that comfortable talking all the time, but sometimes we need to and so I came here today and I feel fine.

— PSV — what can you say about them, how ready are you, how much did the training camp help and what do you think about the first game being away?
— No I think it’s good to play the first game away because we can get a good result away and then we will play at home and we have a good chance to continue that success. The team is ready and we have been doing a lot and we try to do everything we can to be ready and I think that everyone is ready physically and mentally and we are ready to prove that «Zenit» is ready to be strong and we are going there to win.

— Do you feel that any of the changes Zenit has made to their playing style have affected your own play?
— I feel confident in this tactic and in the other. My style of play is to take the ball and feed it to the other players, to assist, to move the ball around from side to side. I feel comfortable in this tactic and we are training a lot and we are ready to give our supporters some good games this season. We want to do better.

— Are you worried about the change in weather because you have been training where it’s warm and here it’s pretty cold.
— I think that everyone knows about this weather, we have been living here for at least a few years, I’ve been here for ten and they know what the weather is. We are ready and our first game is away and maybe the weather will be better. But we are ready to be a strong team and with the -5 or lower, we need to be ready.

— Does the situation with your contract influencing you at all?
— I feel good, I talked about this three days ago and I have four more months to play here and I am going to do my best to win the cups that we can win this year and then we will talk to the club and start a conversation. I hope that in a few days we can get the possibility of staying here on the table, but I have four months here to play and enjoy and so I have to give all I can in these four months because this is important for us and the club. I want to do my best..

— For St. Pete fans and for everyone who roots for you the fact that you left the Champions League and the team was a big disappointment since a lot of experts believed that you were good enough to make it to the quarterfinals. Was this a disappointment for the team as well and do you think it’s possible to do as well in the Europa League even if don’t have the same number of international players?
— The team is disappointed, not only our supporters, because we know we are a good team and we have good players. We were in a tough group, but we were better. Sometimes luck was not on our side and we didn’t make it through. But we are really angry and we want to win the Europa League as a gift to our club and our supporters and we need to win this cup since we are a good team with great players. We need to do something better and I can say that we are ready to the best we can and to win the cup.

— You’ve already been here for ten years, why are you still speaking with us in English?
— I’ve been living here for ten years and I can talk and understand, but it’s more comfortable to speak in English so that I don’t make any mistakes in Russian and they won’t publish it in the papers, and so I’m having having with the translation today.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 08:34 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

By the way guys, if any of you guys ever wondered how our Portugese 64 year old Superfan Kleber looks, well not wonder anymore. Here is a picture of Kleber and his Pet Donkey Miguel showboating in front of the Zenit squad when Kleber took a 2000km journey from his Algarve Trailer/Caravan to Spain last week.

Kleber has taken off his Zenit paraphernalia (Bukha Dressing gown, Bukha, Fayzulin slippers and Rondon Hat) this has been replaced with a smart Burgundy Blazer, Grey Slacks and a fetching White straw hat. Very smart Kleber.

The Zenit squad are all watching our sprightly 64 year old showboat.

http://en.fc-zenit.ru/news/59284.html
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 10:40 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

We played 8 pre-season friendlies.

We won 6 and lost 2.

We conceded 5 goals but scored a staggering 43 goals!

Away goals is what we need at PSV.

Just hoping we don't pick up any additional injuries in the forthcoming week ahead in training.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2015, 07:49
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Sounds like Lombaerts might be out a while, till the end of March-ish with knee problem.

Thankfully if even the lumbering lumps playing CB for Dinamo could shut out PSV twice then we could do it even with a Tymo-Garcia CB partnership.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 07:03
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Sounds like Garay is going to be good to go. Kleber's dream of a Criscito/Neto pairing is collapsing.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 11:11 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Zenit have now left for Holland. The following players have travelled -

Goalkeepers
Yury Lodygin
Alexander Vasyutin
Egor Baburin

Defenders
Alexander Anyukov
Igor Smolnikov
Ezequiel Garay
Luis Neto
Ilya Zuev
Domenico Criscito

Midfielders
Javi Garcia
Anatoliy Tymoshchuk
Axel Witsel
Alexander Ryazantsev
Pavel Mogilevets
Oleg Shatov
Andrey Arshavin
Danny

Strikers
Hulk
Salomon Rondon
Ramil Shaydaev
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 11:12 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Lombaerts, Kerzhakov and Fayzulin have stayed behind in Russia.

I'm expecting the following line up

Lodygin
Smolynkov
Garay
Neto
Criscito
Garcia
Witsel
Danny
Shatov
Hulk
Rondon
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 17:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatoslav View Post
Sounds like Lombaerts might be out a while, till the end of March-ish with knee problem.

Thankfully if even the lumbering lumps playing CB for Dinamo could shut out PSV twice then we could do it even with a Tymo-Garcia CB partnership.
so zenit stays with only two cb's till the end of march,lol....

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 19:18
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Criscito and Garcia are better options at CB than 90% of the starters in this league.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2015, 19:33 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
so zenit stays with only two cb's till the end of march,lol....
Are you going to ride Miguel from Faro to Eindhoven for this one buddy?

Have you got your normal Zenit Paraphernalia on for the match too - I.E. Zenit Blue and White Drum, Zenit Trumpet, Dressing Gown with Bukha on the Back, Bukha and Fayzulin Slippers and Rondon Hat?

OR

Are you going to trying and blend into the background and wear the same gear you wore last week when you got introduced to the Zenit squad in Spain? Burgundy Blazer, Grey Slacks and your White straw hat? http://en.fc-zenit.ru/news/59284.html

I'm so jealous of you and your Pet Donkey Miguel meeting the entire squad Klebbsy.

Portugese Superfanatic, so passionate you crap Blue and White

Last edited by CDG; February 18th, 2015 at 19:44.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2015, 02:12
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG View Post
Lombaerts, Kerzhakov and Fayzulin have stayed behind in Russia.

I'm expecting the following line up

Lodygin
Smolynkov
Garay
Neto
Criscito
Garcia
Witsel
Danny
Shatov
Hulk
Rondon
Is Anyukov crap these days? I always rated him as a good RB

Also, what is your weak area/s? Is this Neto guy that bad?
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2015, 05:59 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Is Anyukov crap these days? I always rated him as a good RB

Also, what is your weak area/s? Is this Neto guy that bad?
Anyukov was very good in his prime, easily one of the top 5 RB in Europe but he's lost a bit of pace, Smolynkov play's very similar to how Anyukov played 5-6 years ago and for me, is a much better choice. Him and Hulk have a great understanding and Smolynkov is almost like a right winger the number of times he bombs forward.

I don't like Neto, for me he is nowhere near comparable to Garay and Lombaerts.

Weak areas, well Neto for me would be a weak area, much will also depend on how Danny does, if he is on form, the whole team seem to sing a different song, if he's not on form, it will break down frequently and it might look like were not very good. If Shatov start's he too can either be totally on his game and look amazing or be invisible.

With this match being our first competitive match after the winter break, we have completely malfunctioned in these sort of matches previous years and players who don't make a mistake generally might make a mistake. We conceded 2 goals to Dortmund in the first 3-4 minutes last year in the CL in our first match back after the winter break, nearly every goal we conceded was down to a mistake, our keeper Lodygin is quite consistent but in this match he decided to make 3 mistakes which cost goals.

Should be a good match!
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2015, 07:09
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Lombaerts' injury isn't as bad as I reported earlier, AVB says he's hopeful Lombaerts will be back for the return leg.

As for Neto, it's not like he's awful every time he's out there. He has all the skills to be great but he's prone to stupid lapses and is inconsistent (at a position where it's not beneficial). If he's relied on for an extended run of games then it's problematic but in a one-off scenario I'm not that worried.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2015, 17:06 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
garay will not be fit for p.s.v games.
When he's good he is really good!

Garay starts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in