Zenit v FC Porto (Match 4) Champions League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2013, 23:31 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Zenit v FC Porto (Match 4) Champions League

This week we will face FC Porto in a crunch Champions League match.

We are currently 2nd in the group and have just defeated Porto 1-0 in Portugal, we also played them at the same stage of the CL 2 years ago and defeated them 3-1. A win here and we are 99 percent through. The only way we would not be able qualify with a win here is if we lose our last 2 matches and Porto win there last 2 matches which would include them winning in Spain against Athletico Madrid and us losing at home against Atletico Madrid and losing In Austria too.

We will be without Witsel who is suspended but other than this, we are at full strength. I don't think the line up will look a lot different than this -

Lodygin
Ansaldi
Hubocan
Lombaerts
Criscito
Fayzulin
Zyrianov
Shirokov
Danny
Hulk
Kherzakov

We did not retain possession enough in Portugal and clearly missed the prescence of Witsel in midfield. I see Arshavin dropping to the bench and Shatov not being risked, a more defensive minded Zyrianov will get the nod although I give a very very small outside chance of there being a surprise and Tymoshuck getting a shot as a DM. Porto know they must win, I would very surprised to see them go for a draw, this should definatley play to our advantage with Danny and Hulk bang in form to exploit any attacking space and chances.

We have scored 10 goals in our last 3 home matches in the CL against Portugese opposition Porto (3), Benfica (3) and Parkers Farrios (4).

I know me man Klebsy is in town for this one, he started walking from the Algarve at 06:00 pm last Tuesday with his pet Donkey Miguel and is due in Piter in the next few hours. He will be banging his Zenit Bukha Horn whilst wearing his favourite Fayzhulin shirt.

Let's do this Zenit. We can do this!

Last edited by CDG; November 2nd, 2013 at 23:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:32
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Zenit, Russia NT
I think our lineup will be quite different from what you have. I expect to see Smolnikov, Shatov, Neto and Arshavin.

We haven't played well for a few games now, hopefully this is the one where we get everything back on track.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:14 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatoslav View Post
I think our lineup will be quite different from what you have. I expect to see Smolnikov, Shatov, Neto and Arshavin.

We haven't played well for a few games now, hopefully this is the one where we get everything back on track.
I don't expect to see most of those players, most of them did not play well against Porto and there replacements did.

I don't expect to see Shatov, Fayzulin will definitely get the nod ahead of him and Zyrianov I expect to play too, if Hubocan is fit, Hubocan and Lombaerts are the first choice CB pairing for Spalleti as are if fit Ansaldi and Criscito as the full backs, Ansaldi can play either side equally well.

Kherzakov 1 million percent will start up front instead of Arshavin too after getting the winner v Porto.

Not sure how you are calculating us playing well, we are winning quite a lot of games and the only game we lost we played very well, that is unless you want to count a horrific own goal from the Zenit 3rd choice keeper and a mistake by probably our 4th choice full back to give away a penalty as taking anything away from our attacking performance. We could have scored 6 the other end.

Other than Porto away we are doing enough to win all of the matches we are winning.

You are watching what happens in the games aren't you?

Last edited by CDG; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:21.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:27 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Man, how much does that guy who got the Amkar goal look like Balotteli?
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 17:01
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG View Post
I don't expect to see most of those players, most of them did not play well against Porto and there replacements did.

I don't expect to see Shatov, Fayzulin will definitely get the nod ahead of him and Zyrianov I expect to play too, if Hubocan is fit, Hubocan and Lombaerts are the first choice CB pairing for Spalleti as are if fit Ansaldi and Criscito as the full backs, Ansaldi can play either side equally well.

Kherzakov 1 million percent will start up front instead of Arshavin too after getting the winner v Porto.

Not sure how you are calculating us playing well, we are winning quite a lot of games and the only game we lost we played very well, that is unless you want to count a horrific own goal from the Zenit 3rd choice keeper and a mistake by probably our 4th choice full back to give away a penalty as taking anything away from our attacking performance. We could have scored 6 the other end.

Other than Porto away we are doing enough to win all of the matches we are winning.

You are watching what happens in the games aren't you?
-Fayzulin AND Shatov. No Zyryanov.
-I don't expect to see Hubocan back yet.
-If Spalletti saw Ansaldi and Criscito as our main full backs then don't you think that there would have been one training session where one of them played RB?
-Arshavin? Less likely than the rest but I felt like Spaghetti subbed him at half last game to keep him fresh.

And the last four games (Porto, Ural, Tyumen, Amkar) we haven't played particularly well. Can't really argue that.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 18:39 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatoslav View Post
-Fayzulin AND Shatov. No Zyryanov.
-I don't expect to see Hubocan back yet.
-If Spalletti saw Ansaldi and Criscito as our main full backs then don't you think that there would have been one training session where one of them played RB?
-Arshavin? Less likely than the rest but I felt like Spaghetti subbed him at half last game to keep him fresh.

And the last four games (Porto, Ural, Tyumen, Amkar) we haven't played particularly well. Can't really argue that.
I don't understand your basis of not really playing well. Does an individual error mean the team played bad? Does 6 clear chances we should have scored mean the team played bad.

My opinion of not playing well is not creating chances and getting battered by the opposition, this is not happened in any of those matches you mentioned. Porto hardly battered us. Lodygin made 1 save of note all match and we came as close as they did with other chances.

Against Tyumen, 1 horrendous error by our 3rd choice keeper and 1 mis-timed tackle by our 4th choice full back cost us 2 goals, at the other end we could have scored 6. This is a match we played well in. We did better than Ural in the match and definitely deserved the 3 points, remember there goal was down to a freak fall by Neto, this doesn't mean we didn't play well. We deserved to beat Amkar and another day we would have beaten them 4-1.

The only match out of the 4 we didn't play well in against Porto, we didn't play worse than them, we were both about on par but given we had a 1 man advantage we should have done better. Based on how our starting players did against Porto and the players that replaced them, there is no way in a million years if Kherzakov is match fit he doesn't start ahead of Arshavin. As for Shatov, he was very poor in Portugal and with no Witsel, him and Fayzulin would offer not offer the right DM protection to our defence, you only said a month or 2 back that because Zyrianov is the captain he will start most games (your words not mine), he will start this.

You also said previously that Ansaldi and Criscito would not play at the same time only for the match in Porto for this to happen at the end. Ansaldi can play either full back position equally well and is a better player than Smolynkov. I see Ansaldi definitely starting and just a case of wether Criscito who hasn't yet got back to his previous form starts or Smolynkov does. One thing is for certain, I don't see Anyukov sticking around for too long, he is the first choice Russian full back on the team-sheet and the 4th choice Zenit full back on the team sheet if all players are fit.

We can beat Porto! Lets do it!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2013, 20:21
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

I was going to write a long response but what's the point talking to someone who thought we played well against Tyumen? We created some scoring chances? No shit, the opposition is from the second division( aka, not even the FNL).
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 12:21 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Breaking news..

Witsel available tomorrow.

UEFA have lifted the ban.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 19:20
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Quote:
Breaking news..

Witsel available tomorrow.

UEFA have lifted the ban.
The check cleared. Thank the lord (aka Gazprom)!!!
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 20:47 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Yep great news. This would be the best team to field

Lodygin
Ansaldi
Hubocan
Lombaerts
Criscito
Witsel
Fayzulin
Shirokov
Danny
Hulk
Kherzakov

I think he might play Smolynkov instead of Criscito, possibly Shatov instead of Fayzulin
Witsel gives the midfield some much needed protection.

We can do this. Let's go Piter!
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 22:20
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

I don't see both Criscito and Ansaldi starting unless Criscito plays CB. Fayzulin is definitely starting, Spaghetti basically confirmed it in his Amkar post-game press conference. I still think Arshavin may start, with Kerzhakov not fully fit yet and could be used as an impact sub.

A win here would be huge, hopefully we overrun Porto like we did last time they came to St. Pete's.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 05:33 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Let's do this Zenit!

A win here and it is almost impossible to not qualify.

Let's go Piter!
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 05:34 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

I think we might have a Hulk...

Boooom! Tonight!
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 16:29 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Yep great news. This would be the best team to field

Lodygin
Ansaldi
Hubocan
Lombaerts
Criscito
Witsel
Fayzulin
Shirokov
Danny
Hulk
Kherzakov

I think he might play Smolynkov instead of Criscito, possibly Shatov instead of Fayzulin
Witsel gives the midfield some much needed protection.

We can do this. Let's go Piter!
Looks like I was right, Shatov though instead of Kherzakov.

Ansaldi and Criscito both starting at full backs like I predicted.

Very happy with that team.

Lodygin - Ansaldi, Hubocan, Lombaerts, Criscito - Fayzulin, Witsel, Shatov, Shirokov, Danny and Hulk
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 16:33 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Very strong Bench so strong we have no place for Smolynkov and Bystrov!

Baburin, Neto, Anyukov, Zyryanov, Tymoshchuk, Kerzhakov, Arshavin.
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 16:41
Dzyubaphile
Forum Manager
International

Hmm, so we were both partially right. You about Criscito and me about Kerzhakov not being fit enough to start.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 17:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
russia and ukraine neeeds a joint league.......

spalletti sucks big time and lodygin lol........

zenit have no defensive or tactical work,just a bunch of players getting together to play.

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 17:29 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber View Post

zenit have no defensive or tactical work,just a bunch of players getting together to play.
Brilliant "team goal" for the equaliser.

Hulk Boom!
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 17:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber View Post

kleber on top form

and what to say about Porto's slapstick defending on Zenit's goal?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2013, 17:45 Thread Starter
CDG
World Class Player

Superb save by Lodygin, more than made up for his mis-judgement for the 1st goal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in