post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2015, 06:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
JC Schaal 2015: Groningen vs PSV

Sunday 2nd August, 18:00 CET
Amsterdam ArenA
Referee: Bas Nijhuis

The Johan Cruijff Schaal or 'Dutch Super Cup' officially kicks off the Dutch football calendar for 2015/16 this Sunday!

Groningen had an amazing season with their KNVB Beker win over PEC Zwolle in the final meaning that they directly qualified for this seasons Europa League. They paid the price for such success by losing main man Chery and to a lesser extent Kieftenbeld. The signing of Linssen + Tamata facing his old teammates should provide some entertainment in this game!

For our boys, its a chance to not only win our first prize of the new season but to get back to winning ways after a tough pre-season. Plus, a chance to (hopefully) see all our 4 new signings in a competitive fixture! Guardado will definitely miss this one and there are doubts over Lestienne's fitness so it is somewhat hard to predict what kind of team we will put out there. Also, there are a few spots in the team where competition is still fierce.

Zoet

Arias - Bruma - Isimat - Poulsen

Schaars

Pröpper - Maher

Narsingh - de Jong - Locadia

Last edited by White Rabbit; July 30th, 2015 at 02:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2015, 02:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Just to get everyone in the mood for the upcoming season, here is a recap of our last:

Oh and also our (Nicolas') number 1 hit single from last season

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2015, 15:57
Premier Player

Teams: PSV, Republic of Ireland
I don't know if this is normal around Europe for Supercup matches but if this game is level after 90 minutes, it is straight to penalties.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2015, 02:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultan View Post
I don't know if this is normal around Europe for Supercup matches but if this game is level after 90 minutes, it is straight to penalties.
Hmm i'm not sure if that's the same in any other countries across Europe but it has been the case in all the pre-season tournaments like the International Champions Cup so it must have caught on

I know that in Spain, the Super Cup is played as a two-legged home and away type fixture

I'm ok with the change. Players are just coming out of pre-season so 120 minutes of football + penalties might be a big risk injury wise

Plus, we will win the game within 90 mins anyway
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2015, 03:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Despite both teams seemingly taking this fixture really seriously, the fans don't think the same way.

Only 24 000 fans are expected at the ArenA of which 4500 will be Grun supporters and 2500 from Eindhoven.

The KNVB says that sales are so low because its the 'holiday season' but Cocu brought up a good point - that the JC Schaal should be played at either the League Winner or the Cup Winner's home stadium. That way the match would get sold out every season and not just when Ajax are participating in it.

Back to the actual football, Luuk de Jong (as pictured) will captain the side for this game but it's still unknown if he will be the captain come Matchday 1 (Guardado?). Also, Lestienne is 'employable' but i still don't think he won't start.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:06
Premier Player

Teams: PSV, S04, Heracles
0-1 at HT, De Jong has brought PSV the lead with a typical header (assist Arias). That was one of the few chances of PSV.

PSV has been looking weak defensively, the speedy Groningen-wingers get a lot of space. Especially Isimat and Poulsen don't look too good. Groningen has used a lot of energy with their attacking play, hope that will break them up in the second half.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:12
Premier Player

Maher makes it 0-2 with a good solo and placed shot.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:29
Premier Player

Groningen should have gotten a penalty after a foul of Hendrix but PSV scores in the following counter, 0-3.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:30
Premier Player

I want to see that Hendrix challenge again before we went and got a third. My immediate thought that was a foul...

PSV have played better in second half
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:45
Premier Player

Hendrix handballs in the box after blocking a cross that hit off his leg first, those are harsh penalties if given but you kind of can't argue with them being given. Groningen have been unlucky with penalty decisions in this game

Penalty wasn't given if that isn't clear
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2015, 18:51
Premier Player

Guardado has a penalty saved.

Mahi made a stupid foul on Arias in the box, he had no hope of winning the ball back.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Let's not forget that this Groningen side is a very solid one. I honestly believe that they will finish in the top 5 this time around unless they lose some key players in what is left of the transfer market.

Considering this - 3-0 is a super result!

The positives are obviously in attack. Despite losing Memphis and Gini, we look as strong as ever going forward. Maher stepping up already and Luuk continuing his stellar form and making Botteghin look like an average Eredivisie defender Plus, Narsingh look much better than last season - the same with Locadia

I thought we were going to have troubles in defence coming into this game but we somehow (rather fortunately) managed to keep a clean sheet Poulsen didn't have a full pre-season behind him as he had injury troubles plus he isn't used to our system yet. I'm more surprised by Isimat's weak performances, i'm not sure what is up with him. Also, Hendrix still looks a bit suspect at times when defending but I'd like to see Cocu stick with him for at least the ADO game

I still think our best midfield once Guardado is back to full fitness is:

Hendrix/Schaars
Maher - Guardado

The bottom line though is an impressive 3-0 result vs a solid Eredivisie opponent after a difficult pre-season and a lot of player turnover

Bring on ADO!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2015, 13:50 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Highlights:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in