10 days in Nederlands, which matches should I attend? - Xtratime Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2014, 11:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star
 
sumiala666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2011
Posts: 117
10 days in Nederlands, which matches should I attend?

Hi folks!
I'm ready to spend 10 days in the Netherlands and was looking for some suggestions on which game or games I should attend.
My first days (starting from Aug 15) are in Amsterdam and my last in Eindhoven (Aug 24), so I already know I won't be there for Ajax-PSV.

As I'm not dutch, I would like some hints about which game or stadium I could visit without having problems on buying some tickets. I would prefere avoiding the OAD-Reizen or similia frauds, so I was thinking about Utrecht-Willem II close to the Bunnikside.

Plus, do you know which team's training sessions are easiest to visit?
I won't mind coming back with some cool pics or even some nice presents.

Thanks in advance to everyone
sumiala666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2014, 11:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Holland
Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Posts: 58,914
Feyenoord - Heerenveen Friday August 15 : clubcardless game, but probably too early as you've just arrived then in the country. Just an hour away by train from Amsterdam though and it actually is a nice opportunity to see an evenish game in a floodlit Kuip

I'd try a Europa League game on the Thursday. August 21.
You got PSV - a side from Belarus, Feyenoord - Luhansk and PEC Zwolle - Sparta Prague.

PEC - Sparta Prague is easily the pick of the three. Their first European game ever from what I can remember, but it probably will be impossible to get a ticket.

It should be easy to get tickets for the Feyenoord and PSV games. (directly from the club's websites)

A long shot, Tuesday August 19. Standard Liege - Zenit St Petersburg. Long train ride south, but they say Sclessin has the most intimidating atmosphere in Belgium.

Willem II - AZ Friday August 22 could be a nice one, but Willem II again then.

VVV - de Graafschap is also on Friday August 22 and that could be one worth going to. Old fashioned stadium and VVV never sell out in the Jupiler League. Downside is that you need a clubcard for that game


Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"


Wally is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2014, 13:36
International
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: The Hague, NL
Teams: AZ Alkmaar
Posts: 7,004
Sclessin isn't that amazing. I wouldn't spend 6 hours (round trip) on the train for that.
Slagathor is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 09:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
chivu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2000
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Posts: 23,835
Knoert could be a good help in this thread.
chivu is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 21:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star
 
sumiala666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2011
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Feyenoord - Heerenveen Friday August 15 : clubcardless game, but probably too early as you've just arrived then in the country. Just an hour away by train from Amsterdam though and it actually is a nice opportunity to see an evenish game in a floodlit Kuip

I'd try a Europa League game on the Thursday. August 21.
You got PSV - a side from Belarus, Feyenoord - Luhansk and PEC Zwolle - Sparta Prague.

PEC - Sparta Prague is easily the pick of the three. Their first European game ever from what I can remember, but it probably will be impossible to get a ticket.

It should be easy to get tickets for the Feyenoord and PSV games. (directly from the club's websites)

A long shot, Tuesday August 19. Standard Liege - Zenit St Petersburg. Long train ride south, but they say Sclessin has the most intimidating atmosphere in Belgium.

Willem II - AZ Friday August 22 could be a nice one, but Willem II again then.

VVV - de Graafschap is also on Friday August 22 and that could be one worth going to. Old fashioned stadium and VVV never sell out in the Jupiler League. Downside is that you need a clubcard for that game
Thanks a lot for the hints...EL matches sound good! I'm not sure about how to get those tickets, but for sure I don't have any clubcard....
Do you guys know if Ajax training sessions are free? And if they are very crowded?
sumiala666 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 18:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Holland
Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Posts: 58,914
Hmm Feyenoord will now play in Kiev on Aug 21. The legs have been switched.

You can buy tickets at newsagents with the ticketbox logo. You can use http://www.ticketbox.nl/ to find the nearest one to where you're staying in Amsterdam. http://www.ticketbox.nl/web/show/id=134305

Training sessions should be free.


Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"


Wally is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 19:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
chivu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2000
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Posts: 23,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumiala666 View Post
Thanks a lot for the hints...EL matches sound good! I'm not sure about how to get those tickets, but for sure I don't have any clubcard....
Do you guys know if Ajax training sessions are free? And if they are very crowded?
Normally these trainings are free. It's still holiday season here so could be a bit more crowded than normal, but biggest crowds you normally see when the summer has just started and training is all there is.
chivu is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 19:32
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Knoert's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Location: close to Limburg
Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Posts: 12,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumiala666 View Post
Hi folks!
I'm ready to spend 10 days in the Netherlands and was looking for some suggestions on which game or games I should attend.
My first days (starting from Aug 15) are in Amsterdam and my last in Eindhoven (Aug 24), so I already know I won't be there for Ajax-PSV.

As I'm not dutch, I would like some hints about which game or stadium I could visit without having problems on buying some tickets. I would prefere avoiding the OAD-Reizen or similia frauds, so I was thinking about Utrecht-Willem II close to the Bunnikside.

Plus, do you know which team's training sessions are easiest to visit?
I won't mind coming back with some cool pics or even some nice presents.

Thanks in advance to everyone
First, in general, it really depends on what you want. Nothing is impossible.
For example, how many matches would you like to attend? Do you prefer the big clubs and modern stadiums, or smaller clubs with old stadiums?
Do you like friendlies?

You could visit any match with a clubcard restriction if you're a bit lucky. Best thing to do is, call the club now, explain you're an Italian tourist and ask what's possible. I know in Utrecht normally they'd help you without a clubcard or anything else. Unfortunately I can't help you out for Utrecht as I won't visit that one, but normally this would do.

When you arrive on 15/08 there's the Feyenoord game. Pretty interesting ones and close to Amsterdam are Volendam-NEC and Telstar-Roda JC in the Jupiler League (2nd level).
There's a good bus connection from Amsterdam to Volendam and you can get tickets at the gate, or, if not, just call the club. I'm sure you'll get in anyway as long as they believe you're no NEC-fan.
As for Telstar-Roda, get off at Driehuis trainstation and take a 20 mins walk to the small ground. Best to call the club in advance too, but probably tickets at the gate as well. Believe Roda sold out though the away end.

On Saturday/Sunday 16/17-08 there's football both in Jupiler League and Eredivisie. Just try to get in where you want to. Only at Excelsior and Groningen no clubcard needed.

Then I don't know if you care about friendlies, but there's a special one on 19/08 in Gorinchem. The former Eritrean national team play a local team in the old fashioned stadium from Unitas. The Eritreans left their country as refugees in I believe 2012 and then via Uganda and Romania they ended up in Gorinchem. Finally they're playing football again, but just friendlies as they're officially illegal. I'm going there too , but I can imagine you don't care about such a match, hehe.

On Thursday there's Europa League. Best pick would be either PSV-Shaktyor Soligorsk or Lokeren-Hull, although you might not be able to return after the Lokeren game.
As for PSV you don't need a clubcard and connections to Amsterdam are good by train, the stadium is next to the trainstation (5 mins walk).
The PEC-Sparta Praha game will be sold out, just don't spend any time trying to get in there, won't be possible.

Before you leave on 22/08 there's another complete Jupiler League round. In Amsterdam there's Ajax' reserves playing Volendam. Better picks would be Den Bosch-RKC (derby with restrictions), NEC-Fortuna (need to call the club), Telstar-Achilles (close to A'dam, no restrictions) or like Wally said VVV-De Graafschap.
What you could do as well is a day to Maastricht and finish with MVV-Sparta for example. We're a small country so even Amsterdam-Maastricht is doable by train.

On 23/08 Topklasse starts, so plenty of options without restrictions to visit an afternoon game on a typical Dutch sportpark. Most interesting ones I'd say are Spakenburg-Rijnsburg or Kozakken Boys-IJsselmeervogels.
These matches you could combine with a Eredivisie evening match, like Kozakken Boys-IJsselmeervogels + Willem II-AZ or Genemuiden-HHC with Heerenveen-Excelsior (no restrictions).

Finally, for public transport in NL use www.9292.nl (all public transport) or www.ns.nl (trains).

If you've got some more specific questions it's easier to help.

Enjoy your time in NL.
Knoert is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2014, 16:49 Thread Starter
Rising Star
 
sumiala666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2011
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
First, in general, it really depends on what you want. Nothing is impossible.
For example, how many matches would you like to attend? Do you prefer the big clubs and modern stadiums, or smaller clubs with old stadiums?
Do you like friendlies?

You could visit any match with a clubcard restriction if you're a bit lucky. Best thing to do is, call the club now, explain you're an Italian tourist and ask what's possible. I know in Utrecht normally they'd help you without a clubcard or anything else. Unfortunately I can't help you out for Utrecht as I won't visit that one, but normally this would do.

When you arrive on 15/08 there's the Feyenoord game. Pretty interesting ones and close to Amsterdam are Volendam-NEC and Telstar-Roda JC in the Jupiler League (2nd level).
There's a good bus connection from Amsterdam to Volendam and you can get tickets at the gate, or, if not, just call the club. I'm sure you'll get in anyway as long as they believe you're no NEC-fan.
As for Telstar-Roda, get off at Driehuis trainstation and take a 20 mins walk to the small ground. Best to call the club in advance too, but probably tickets at the gate as well. Believe Roda sold out though the away end.

On Saturday/Sunday 16/17-08 there's football both in Jupiler League and Eredivisie. Just try to get in where you want to. Only at Excelsior and Groningen no clubcard needed.

Then I don't know if you care about friendlies, but there's a special one on 19/08 in Gorinchem. The former Eritrean national team play a local team in the old fashioned stadium from Unitas. The Eritreans left their country as refugees in I believe 2012 and then via Uganda and Romania they ended up in Gorinchem. Finally they're playing football again, but just friendlies as they're officially illegal. I'm going there too , but I can imagine you don't care about such a match, hehe.

On Thursday there's Europa League. Best pick would be either PSV-Shaktyor Soligorsk or Lokeren-Hull, although you might not be able to return after the Lokeren game.
As for PSV you don't need a clubcard and connections to Amsterdam are good by train, the stadium is next to the trainstation (5 mins walk).
The PEC-Sparta Praha game will be sold out, just don't spend any time trying to get in there, won't be possible.

Before you leave on 22/08 there's another complete Jupiler League round. In Amsterdam there's Ajax' reserves playing Volendam. Better picks would be Den Bosch-RKC (derby with restrictions), NEC-Fortuna (need to call the club), Telstar-Achilles (close to A'dam, no restrictions) or like Wally said VVV-De Graafschap.
What you could do as well is a day to Maastricht and finish with MVV-Sparta for example. We're a small country so even Amsterdam-Maastricht is doable by train.

On 23/08 Topklasse starts, so plenty of options without restrictions to visit an afternoon game on a typical Dutch sportpark. Most interesting ones I'd say are Spakenburg-Rijnsburg or Kozakken Boys-IJsselmeervogels.
These matches you could combine with a Eredivisie evening match, like Kozakken Boys-IJsselmeervogels + Willem II-AZ or Genemuiden-HHC with Heerenveen-Excelsior (no restrictions).

Finally, for public transport in NL use www.9292.nl (all public transport) or www.ns.nl (trains).

If you've got some more specific questions it's easier to help.

Enjoy your time in NL.
Tnx Knoert, but my plans changed slightly and so I had to do different things!
I've enjoyed my time in NL (except the weather, but who cares) but I got pretty sick after few days and missed almost all the games I've planned to attend!
Did not had a computer either, so could not reply earlier, but thanks for all you wrote!
sumiala666 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2014, 21:36
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Knoert's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Location: close to Limburg
Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Posts: 12,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumiala666 View Post
Tnx Knoert, but my plans changed slightly and so I had to do different things!
I've enjoyed my time in NL (except the weather, but who cares) but I got pretty sick after few days and missed almost all the games I've planned to attend!
Did not had a computer either, so could not reply earlier, but thanks for all you wrote!
You're welcome.

What a pity you got sick, which matches did you originally plan to visit?
Nice to hear you enjoyed NL nevertheless, feel free to ask for advice for another trip in the future .
Knoert is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome