Mad Things That Happen in Dutch Football - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 17:36 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: PSV, Republic of Ireland
Mad Things That Happen in Dutch Football

I wanted to make a topic about stuff that has happened in dutch football that you don't really ever in other countries... Like when I tell my brother about some things that have happened like Erik 'Smash the Glass' Pieters he thinks it is crazy how this stuff happens, and people more or less get away with it.(He only really follows the PL/CL...) I want some other stories of mad things that have happened that I can't think of here are some of the ones I remember...

The AZ walk off the pitch when 1-0 down in the cup against Ajax...

Erik 'Smash the Glass' Pieters :dielaugh:

The PSV/Feyenoord player 'fight' last season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 18:11
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Teams: JUVENTUS, AJAX
haha good idea

the Pieters glass smash was classic!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 18:26
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
Romero broke his hand when he decided to beat a wall in the dressing room after we lost a cup game (I think it was against NAC). Of course he was a fierce fellow.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 18:32
Premier Player

Teams: Ajax, Celtic 2nd team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Romero broke his hand when he decided to beat a wall in the dressing room after we lost a cup game (I think it was against NAC). Of course he was a fierce fellow.

Caistagnos doesn't look a hard man here! 'Please don't hurt me Sergio'
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 18:35
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
BTW these old pictures can be such a mindfvck, can't they? Moisander now at Ajax, Romero now at Sampdoria, Castaignos now at Twente. Thank God the jerseys don't change much or it would be a riddle.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 18:50
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
BTW these old pictures can be such a mindfvck, can't they? Moisander now at Ajax, Romero now at Sampdoria, Castaignos now at Twente. Thank God the jerseys don't change much or it would be a riddle.
Moisander looks about 15! Maybe that is why he doesn't want to get involved.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 20:29
Star Player

Teams: Aston Villa, Torquay United, AZ Alkmaar
I know of course this happened it England too, but I thought this was pretty unique...

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys...tman-B-005.jpg

When does a player BITE another player to get back at them!?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 21:47
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Do you get own-goals like these anywhere else?!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2013, 22:01 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: PSV, Republic of Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by boumavilla View Post
I know of course this happened it England too, but I thought this was pretty unique...

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys...tman-B-005.jpg

When does a player BITE another player to get back at them!?
Ooh yeah that's a good shout, did Suarez actually get his teeth into Ivanovic when he bit/attempted to bite him?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:08
Star Player

I think the amount of goals scored in the league must be amongst the highest amount scored in Europe when you look at the number of teams compared to goals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultan View Post
Ooh yeah that's a good shout, did Suarez actually get his teeth into Ivanovic when he bit/attempted to bite him?
Not sure, he bit him but probably not enough to leave a mark necessarily...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:13
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

yeah Eredivisie is usually highest goals per game average in Europe with just over 3 per game. For 2011/2012 season Swiss league was second (2.98 per game), followed by Bundesliga (2.91).

Interestingly, Eredivisie also had the lowest average age per team at 23.9 years old, followed by Switzerland again.

I think Estonia league actually had highest goals per game in Europe last season with 3.41 compared to Eredivisie who were second highest with 3.26. Swiss league was a lot lower last season, Eredivisie is by far most consistent

Last edited by TheAnswer87; August 12th, 2013 at 11:21.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:24
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer87 View Post
yeah Eredivisie is highest goals per game average in Europe with just over 3 per game, Swiss league was second last year (2.98 per game), followed by Bundesliga (2.91).

Interestingly, Eredivisie also had the lowest average age per team at 23.9 years old, followed by Switzerland again
Wow, i din't know those stats, but very interesting ones they are too.

Maybe they go a bit hand in hand as well, a lack of experience causing defensive frailties which lead to more goals?

There is a distict emphasis on attacking football and philosophy too in the Eredivisie rather than the safety first approach seen elsewhere in Europe, great and entertaining to the supporter, neutral or otherwise.

Also maybe there in an imbalance between the good and not so good teams here, hence you might get more 4-0 5-0 victories than in say England where even the bottom feeders can give the top clubs a scare every once in a while even if they eventually lose the games.

Great stats none the less and no wonder it is one of my main forms of entertainment every weekend, apart from yesterday afternoon!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Estonia's league sees big difference between top and bottom. The top side, Kalju won last years league (36 games) scoring 106 goals and conceding just 17.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:35
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Estonia's league sees big difference between top and bottom. The top side, Kalju won last years league (36 games) scoring 106 goals and conceding just 17.
And not much of a decent level i would guess?
Got too say my knowledge of Estonian football is not too strong these days.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 11:37
Star Player

Those stats say it all!
Steve, I think your opinion is spot on, young defensive frailties are leading to more goals let in...but also the Dutch way is to practice close control and passing before defending.
Says it all when Marcel Seip of League 2 walks into a Dutch Eredivisie side and ends up their player of the season... alm:
Is Seip still plying his trade at VVV?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 12:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boumavilla View Post
Is Seip still plying his trade at VVV?
No he's gone to Australia, but we've got Balkestein now, same story but in the Jupiler League.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 12:30
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebluejay View Post
Wow, i din't know those stats, but very interesting ones they are too.

Maybe they go a bit hand in hand as well, a lack of experience causing defensive frailties which lead to more goals?

There is a distict emphasis on attacking football and philosophy too in the Eredivisie rather than the safety first approach seen elsewhere in Europe, great and entertaining to the supporter, neutral or otherwise.

Also maybe there in an imbalance between the good and not so good teams here, hence you might get more 4-0 5-0 victories than in say England where even the bottom feeders can give the top clubs a scare every once in a while even if they eventually lose the games.

Great stats none the less and no wonder it is one of my main forms of entertainment every weekend, apart from yesterday afternoon!
Stats play a big part in my gambling process so quite sadly I know way too much!

And yes, one could argue that there is a correlation between average age and average goals per game. Leagues that consistently have the lowest goals per game average such as Russia, Romania, Greece, and Italy tend to always also in the top 6-8 for highest average age. There are of course exceptions - England and Spain are often in the top 5 for highest average age, but also in top 5 or 6 for highest goals per game.

And you only have to look at how the B teams/reserve teams play in the professional leagues to realise that the younger the team the more goals are likely to occur. For instance, Real Madrid Castilla and Barcelona B both played in the Segunda division in Spain last season, both obviously had much lower average age than other teams, and also were both. And I expect Jong PSV, Jong Ajax, Achilles etc.. will also be near the top in Eerste Divisie come end of season for average goals per game.

There are certainly a lot of variables though. Like you say the imbalance or inequality in leagues can also play a part. You get teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona that average almost 4 goals per game (games involving Barca did average over 4 last season) which obviously bring up the overall average in the league as they each average almost 1 goal more than everybody else in La Liga!

Other variables include quality of the pitches/turf, the culture of the country and traditional aspect - for instance in Italy teams rarely kill teams off with big scores, there is almost a silent agreement that you don't disrespect the opponent by thrashing them 6-0!

Last edited by TheAnswer87; August 12th, 2013 at 12:36.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 12:33
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
yeah, you might as well discount leagues like Estonia from the equation! Latvia is also always high, but these leagues are also the most rife for match-fixing and especially "over 4.5 goals" type bets so not surprising that they have a lot of goals! And some games in leagues like LIthuania even get played on indoor pitches that are not anywhere near the size of a normal pitch and just lead to goal-fests!
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 12:40
FINOALLAFINE
World Class Player

Check out former Groningen player Nordstrand's wonder goal from yesterday...83rd min equaliser against Copenhagen...and what a way to do it!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2013, 14:19
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
No he's gone to Australia, but we've got Balkestein now, same story but in the Jupiler League.
As long as you don't get promoted back up that's not so embarrassing.

Demouge is another story...can't get a game in League 1 but a superstar for Roda.
Although I think he was injured a lot last season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in