LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2012, 19:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Favourite foreign leagues to watch?

How is it for you actually?

For me, purely to be entertained it'd be:

1. La Liga - don't watch it that often but when I have, the technique there is great. Even sides like Espanyol can on their day play good football.
Athletic Bilbao is a joy on the eye under Bielsa while Betis at home despite having no players I know (bar reserve Santa Cruz) have been great in the games I've seen them (vs Real and Bilbao)

2. Premiership - Some sides like Man U and Arsenal have weakened but they're still balanced when in form. Do have their weaknesses which gets exposed against the real top sides. Generally pretty entertaining and it goes from top to bottom. Norwich-Wigan for example was a good game this afternoon. Teams to avoid watching though are Liverpool, Stoke, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Wolves and despite being effective, Everton.

3. Serie A - Despite it having the tradition of being a boring league, there have been quite a few fun games in it. Napoli are always fun while Inter under Ranieri are hilarious. Some sides are appalling though like Fiorentina. I like the fact it's the most competitive league though compared to the two previously mentioned.

Have hardly watched many live Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga games in the last few years, so can't really comment.

Bundesliga 2 games are horrid to watch when looking at technique btw.

I'd rank the Eredivisie above them all when it came to entertainment btw. Even VVV are entertaining.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2012, 21:36
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Purely based on football quality it's Spain #1, EPL #2 for me. Based on general crowd atmosphere Bundesliga can be fun to watch as well, lots of passion and effort for instance. Makes it more fun to watch than Serie A. Although there tend to be some awful matches just about every weekend as well. Don't see enough Ligue 1 to properly judge the entire league.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 01:41
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
I only really watch the EPL apart from the Eredivisie these days. Its the easiest to view here in Oz (TV rights and the time difference) and im generally not a fan of La Liga because every season its a 2 horse race although i do love a good Clasico here and there.

I used to watch a bit of Serie A and Bundesliga but they arnt shown on any of the channels i have on the tv and i cbf streaming them mainly due to the time difference.

In technical terms, yes, i would rate La Liga #1 and EPL #2. I would always rather watch a Newcastle-Sunderland than a Malaga-Sevilla though.

Liverpool are very hot and cold but as Wally said, any match not including Chelsea, Stoke, Wolves, Aston Villa and Everton is a good watch
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 01:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
The J-League, best football and best fans, can't be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Japanese football IMO is great to watch. Better than the EPL or even my beloved Bundesliga. Fluent fast over the ground playing attacking sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; March 12th, 2012 at 01:49.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 07:35
Star Player

Teams: Feyenoord, Real Salt Lake, FC Jackie
In Malaysia I have been spoiled for choice. Here the leagues that have been shown on a regular basis in the past three years:

English Premier League
English Championship League (when EPL in on a hiatus)
Spanish La Liga
Italian Serie A
German Bundesliga
French Ligue 1 (spelling?)
Portuguese League
Brazilian League
J-League (Japan)
USA MLS
Dutch Eredivisie (just this year)
and......wait for it....
Malaysian 'M' League

They also show the European Champions League, Europa League, and some South American cup leagues such as Copa Libertadores and Copa Suda Americana. Also both of those English cup competitions: FA Cup and League Cup. (Too much English football on the telly, IMHO. Manchester United vs. Cannon Fodder FC, anyone?)

Which one to watch?

I always watch the Dutch Eredivisie highlights even after having watched the Feyenoord match through the internet.
German Bundesliga and South American futbol are also main choices. I have been choosing the USA MLS before that of England or Italy or France, since I want to see my home country's league flourish. I will probably be leaving this football-watching mecca soon and going back to where only MLS is shown on the telly.

I think that the level of technique and skill is highest in La Liga, but agree with WR who said that it is boring to watch Black Hole Madrid and Barcelona dominate year after year. It was more interesting in the years that Valencia (2x) and Deportivo La Coruna (1x) also won league titles.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 12:07
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Crvena Zvezda, PSV, NEC, Srbija
Dutch league is by far the most entertaining league with pretty much every team willling to play some ball.

I mostly watch Eredivisie because I simply havent got enough time to watch more. Furthermore I watch Zvezda and every now and then a Partizan game. I used to watch the RPL a lot as well. Watched almost all of CSKA games, when Krasic was playing there. And when I have time nowadays I look what the most interesting game is from La liga, EPL, Bundesliga or RPL. Dont watch any other leagues to be honest. Remember watching 1860 München in Bundesliga II when Ignjovski, Rukavina and Rakic played there. O yeah by the way every now and then a Fiorentina game because of Ljajic, Nastasic and Jovetic.

Боље да се кајем зато што јесам, него зато што нисам
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 16:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
l I will probably be leaving this football-watching mecca soon and going back to where only MLS is shown on the telly.
Not with Fox sports with the premiership and what else in the States

The amount of sports you can get in SE Asia is great.
Indonesia is an absolute mecca when it comes to boxing. All big fights from Las Vegas are available on free to air television along with Klitschko from Europe if need be.
Live baseball games too at breakfast when you've just woken up.

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 16:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
The English is my favourite to watch. A big factor in that one is MOTD. The best program available on cable television to watch foreign football.

Real and Barca have become too good for the PD to make that really interesting. I even got bored with their clashes. They became as frequent as the Old Firm.

BTW: Wally, still laughing about your signature?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 16:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Quote:
Athletic Bilbao is a joy on the eye under Bielsa

I'd rank the Eredivisie above them all when it came to entertainment btw. Even VVV are entertaining.

We're on our way to Bucharest! :hopeful:

VVV are certainly entertaining, in any way, losing or winning, there's always happening something in De Koel, no boring 0-0s.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 17:00
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
So far this season I have watched EPL (the most, normally every Man U game but because of Thailand that slipped a bit), Bundesliga 1 (Mostly the Western teams) and 2 (Just Dusseldorf), Ligue 1 (Marseille are fun to watch), J-league and A-league (because of betting on them p). Haven't touched a Serie A game all season ****, even watched some Russian football. Scottish just the firm in the pub.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 17:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivu View Post

BTW: Wally, still laughing about your signature?
Hoping for a Newcastle stunt and me to give a convincing yes

Spurs' fixture list improves from now on. Everton have had good results lately and have beaten Chelsea, Man City and now us on their own patch.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 19:28
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Juventus, PSV, Santos
Wally, what about Diyarbakirspor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 19:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocaman Adam View Post
Wally, what about Diyarbakirspor?
They were legendary

Real loss for Turkish football that they won't be returning to the top division for some time

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2012, 23:57
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Real loss for Turkish football that they won't be returning to the top division for some time

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in