Newbie/tourist thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 01:07 Thread Starter
Lehendakari
Premier Player

Teams: Chippenham Town, Athletic Club, Swindon Town, Fulham
Newbie/tourist thread

Sorry if these are stupid/obvious questions, but I've had a quick look and couldn't find anything.

I'm possibly going to the Netherlands in first week of May and obviously want to see some football while I'm there

The Eredivisie will be finished by then, but I'll probably see Sparta and a couple of Topklasse games. For Sparta can I just turn up on the day or do I need to get a ticket in advance? And roughly how much will the tickets cost?

According to footballfans the ko time will be Friday night 19:00, is this definite? And what time will the topklasse games be?

The Cup final is also on that weekend but I'm guessing it would be impossible to get a ticket? (legally I mean)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 07:22
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
I'm sure that when you show up on match day you could get tickets. It's at 20:00, Friday May 6. Tickets are around 20 euro's depending on where you sit.

Topklasse is out of my league of interest Maybe Knoert can give you info about that.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 10:04
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
The Eredivisie actually finishes on the 15th of May. The KNVB Cup final is on the 8th though and no other league action is played that weekend.

The Dutch guys on the forum can help more with your other inquiries. Im looking to catch a PSV game possibly next season myself though :hopeful:
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 11:21
Rising Star

Teams: De Graafschap and Wrexham
The Friday night kick off time of 7pm is UK time, so as Andor says it'll be 8pm over in Rotterdam.

For the Topklasse games, they will generally kick off about 2pm-3pm in the afternoon, Saturday or Sunday - depending which day you are interested in.

The kick-offs vary club to club, so best place for up to date info is http://tobklasse.nl/ the week before the games.

For instance you can see that this coming weekend (18th-20th March), there are games at 2.30pm and 3pm (Dutch time) on Saturday and 2pm and 2.30pm (Dutch time) for the Sunday league - Oss are playing Friday as a relic of their Eerste Divisie days last season.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 14:59
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Good to hear your visiting our country, where will you be staying?

About football, it depends a bit on where you stay and how long you want to travel. For example Belgium is not far from the Randstad area just as Germany isn't far from the east of the Netherlands.
In the Bundesliga for example Gladbach, Schalke and Leverkusen play at home that weekend, in Belgium it's not known yet as they're going to play these stupid playoffs etc.

In Topklasse on Sunday I can recommend the Groesbeek-derby, not that sensational but two teams from the same town playing each other it's always fun and a big crowd is guaranteed, at least 2000.
Groesbeek lies next to Nijmegen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrieta View Post
The Cup final is also on that weekend but I'm guessing it would be impossible to get a ticket? (legally I mean)
Normally that's impossible as it's a so called high risk game (supporters) so tickets will only be sold to both sets of fans and sponsors etc.

I'll try to do some research, nothing is impossible you know .

Also if you go there on the matchday I think it's possible to buy a ticket illegally and you'll come in, but pay some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
I'm sure that when you show up on match day you could get tickets. It's at 20:00, Friday May 6. Tickets are around 20 euro's depending on where you sit.
However, it depends on the opponent I think?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 19:07
Rising Star

Teams: MVV, West Ham, Ross County
Sounds like a good weekend that you have planned, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself Have you been to any games in Holland before?

the south will rise again...hell to some, angels to others

www.mvv-schotland.com
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 19:10
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
However, it depends on the opponent I think?
Nah, this season is already lost and it's the last game of the season. Also I can't name a game so far this season that was sold out, however the game against RKC will be Why??
There are always seats available in the corners.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2011, 19:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Rijnsburgse Boys - Vv Katwijk also that weekend. Not the ultimate derby but a derby nonetheless

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 00:28 Thread Starter
Lehendakari
Premier Player

Thanks for the responses guys

Quote:
Good to hear your visiting our country, where will you be staying?

In Topklasse on Sunday I can recommend the Groesbeek-derby, not that sensational but two teams from the same town playing each other it's always fun and a big crowd is guaranteed, at least 2000.
Groesbeek lies next to Nijmegen.

Normally that's impossible as it's a so called high risk game (supporters) so tickets will only be sold to both sets of fans and sponsors etc.

I'll try to do some research, nothing is impossible you know .

Also if you go there on the matchday I think it's possible to buy a ticket illegally and you'll come in, but pay some more.
Mostly staying in Amsterdam I think but will probably be in Rotterdam for a few days, especially if Sparta doesn't finish til 10pm.

For the Topklasse games I was thinking of Capelle for the Saturday and AFC for the Sunday but I'm open to other options
Will think about a Bundesliga game, how cheap/quick would a train be from say Rotterdam to Dortmund? Just a shame St. Pauli is too far....

With the final I was thinking more about the demand for tickets and it selling out. I'm not desperate to see it (so wont pay €100+ from a tout) but if it's on while I'm there and I could get a ticket, then why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestreech View Post
Have you been to any games in Holland before?
No, not been at all before (although been to Belgium...) It's more of a trip to Holland and seeing football while I'm there rather than a trip specifically to see football.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 09:35
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
Trains in the West (Amsterdam-Rotterdam-The Hague-Utrecht) run 24/7 (although only once per hour during the dead of night) so no need to worry about finding a hotel in Rotterdam, really.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 14:24
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrieta View Post
For the Topklasse games I was thinking of Capelle for the Saturday and AFC for the Sunday but I'm open to other options
Will think about a Bundesliga game, how cheap/quick would a train be from say Rotterdam to Dortmund? Just a shame St. Pauli is too far....
Capelle and AFC are quite boring matches, they won't attract a crowd over a few hundred...

Like Wally said there's Rijnsburg-Katwijk in the Saturday Topklasse, the distance between these two grounds is just a few kilometres, a real derby! If I was you I'd always prefer that one over for example Capelle...
Then take the Groesbeek-derby on Sunday and you've got by far the most interesting Topklasse games of the weekend!

On Friday I'd go for Cambuur-Zwolle, a kind of derby, Cambuur has got fanatic fans and Zwolle will certainly sell out their visitor tickets, disadvantage is Leeuwarden is quite far away in the North.
Also Sparta-MVV isn't bad.

As for the train-prices, from the west that's quite expensive without discounts... a return from Amsterdam or Rotterdam to Venlo costs about €40, then in Germany you can take an NRW-state ticket (all big places lie in NRW) which costs about €25 for one person.

Like Slag said don't worry about train times between Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Utrecht-Eindhoven these are 24/7 trains so you'll always get back when you stay in one of these cities. By the way Rotterdam isn't really interesting for tourists I think, visiting one day is enough.

Talking about German games, the most interesting one in my opinion takes place in Düsseldorf (also NRW). Because of the Eurovision song contest they'll play in a temporary stadium which exists only for three matches, so it's unique to visit. One of these games, at 8 May, is against Alemannia Aachen which are local rivals, so the atmosphere will be good. Tickets will be difficult but I can keep an eye on that.

If you want to know anything else just ask .

PS: the kickoff times at footballfans aren't reliable, I'd always check it in advance, best is teletekst.nos.nl 894 & 896 for Hoofdklasse, 833 for Topklasse and 829 for Jupiler League.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 14:40
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
Quote:
Like Slag said don't worry about train times between Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Utrecht-Eindhoven these are 24/7 trains so you'll always get back when you stay in one of these cities. By the way Rotterdam isn't really interesting for tourists I think, visiting one day is enough.
Beware the trains to Eindhoven only run during the night from Friday-Sunday. Only Amsterdam-Rotterdam-The Hague-Utrecht have a night schedule all 7 days of the week.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 15:11
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Beware the trains to Eindhoven only run during the night from Friday-Sunday. Only Amsterdam-Rotterdam-The Hague-Utrecht have a night schedule all 7 days of the week.
Hmm thanks I was too optimistic about public travel in our country, still it's in the weekend so Arrieta could use that one if needed.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 17:01
Xtratime Legend

Why not take an ICE train from Amsterdam to the Ruhr?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 17:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
Why not take an ICE train from Amsterdam to the Ruhr?
Much more expensive... the normal single price A'dam-Ddorf is over €50, however at www.bahn.de there are offers as well for €24 single although you need to be quick and there's 'zugbindung' so you have to travel with that particular train.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 19:38
Xtratime Legend

But it saves 1 or 2hrs from traveling time. From Venlo with the ruhrbahn to Dusseldorf is just a drag, including the transfer at Nazi bunker Monchengladbach station.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 20:14 Thread Starter
Lehendakari
Premier Player

Well yes, I guess I could easily watch Sparta then travel back to Amsterdam (When I went to Bilbao last year I saw Real Sociedad and got back at Bilbao okay at nearly 2am...).
Just thought it might be easier and planned to stay in Rotterdam a couple of days, but if you say it's only worth a day's visit then I probably wont.

Would be nice to see a Bundesliga game but the train might be too much and take too long (although the cheap match ticket will balance out the cost a bit). Also easier if I'm staying in somewhere nearer to the border instead of Amsterdam.

To be honest I haven't really booked anything yet (apart from the eurostar - did that earlier today, so I'm definitely going ). I'll have to have a think and work things out. As I say I think I'll mostly stay in Amsterdam but nothing's decided yet.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 23:48
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I cant wait until next seasons Eredivisie schedule to come out.

For those who dont know im coming to NL for a week in mid August and am dying to watch a PSV game. Knoert will probably help me with ticket information if they are playing away as i know the procedure pretty much for home games
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2011, 23:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Maybe some CL qualifier if PSV finish 2nd. Settle for that?

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2011, 00:19
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I would actually but hopefully it will be a home Eredivisie match if the footballing gods are smiling upon me :hopeful:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in