post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2010, 10:30 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
[2010/2011] Match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.nl
AZ secure 2-0 win over IFK Göteborg
29 juli 2010

ALKMAAR- AZ have a good chance of advancing to the next round of the Europa League. The hosts enjoyed a 2-0 win over IFK Göteborg on Thursday night thanks to second-half goals from Ragnar Klavan and debutant Johann Berg Gudmundsson. The return leg will take place on 5 August.

After winning all of their nine pre-season friendlies, the encounter with IFK Göteborg was AZ´s first real test. AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek played three young strikers: Charlison Benschop, Erik Falkenburg and Johann Berg Gudmundsson. The latter made his AZ debut after an eighteen-month spell with the Academy.

Corners
The visitors from Sweden were threatened in the first half by Maarten Martens´ dangerous inswinging corners, with Falkenburg and Pontus Wernbloom flicking headers just inches wide. Martens had the best chance to open the scoring, but one-on-one with the Swedish goalkeeper he put the ball over the bar. Göteborg, who are having a poor run in the domestic league, restricted themselves to defending and did not create much. Yet Tobias Hysén came close to scoring for Blĺvitt when he fired wide on the turn.

Two goals
AZ were rewarded for their dominance after the break with two goals in the space of just three minutes. First Klavan headed home from a Martens free-kick before Gudmundsson doubled AZ´s lead with a really lovely goal. The Icelander, who joined Young AZ in February 2009, unleashed a shot from the edge of the penalty area that curled beyond the goalkeeper’s outstretched arms into the top corner of the net. Joey Didulica pulled off a save in the closing stages to prevent Robin Söder from reducing the deficit for IFK Göteborg.

Gudmundsson scores AZ´s second goal.

Verbeek: ‘We deserved our 2-0 win’
AZ coach Verbeek felt that his side deserved their 2-0 win over IFK Göteborg.” I thought they had one chance after a defensive error but other than that we were fully in control.” And as to the two goals that AZ scored: “We frequently practise set pieces so it was good to see us rewarded for our efforts with the opening goal. Gudmundsson netted the second goal, superbly chipping the ball over the advancing goalkeeper. A 2-0 win is a good result. We now have a good chance of progressing to the next round, but I am sure Göteborg will give everything against us next week to make amends for tonight’s defeat. We must be cautious.”

MATCH STATISTICS:
AZ – IFK Göteborg 2-0 (0-0)

Teams:
AZ: Joey Didulica; Dirk Marcellis (65. Gill Swerts), Kew Jaliens, Niklas Moisander, Ragnar Klavan; Pontus Wernbloom, Nick Viergever (71. Celso Ortiz), Maarten Martens; Charlison Benschop (46. Nick van der Velden), Erik Falkenburg, Johann Berg Gudmundsson.
IFK Göteborg: Marcus Sandberg; Adam Johansson, Gustav Svensson, Erik Lund, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Hjalmar Jonsson; Jakob Johansson, Thomas Olsson (60. Elmar Bjarnason); Stefan Selakovic (78. Robin Söder), Tobias Hysén, Hannes Stiller (84. Pär Ericsson).

Goals: 52. Klavan 1-0, 55. Gudmundsson 2-0.
Booked: Wernbloom (AZ), Hysén, Lund, Bjarnason (IFK Göteborg).
Sent off: -
Referee: Fernando Teixeira Vitienes.

Attendance: 11.563
I usually don't really get into the spirit of the new season until the trees start to change colors so you'll forgive me for the copy-paste job.

Yay we won!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2010, 20:36
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal,AZ ALKMAAR,MIlan
Great we won when is 2nd leg.What does our starting look like for the 1st game of the season

Kelly Brook The sexiest woman in the world.

And one day my future girlfreind

My twitter is Darren800 you find me there now
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2010, 20:54 Thread Starter
International

The return is on Thursday. About the squad: I have no idea. I don't really follow football in August, sorry
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2010, 20:58
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
The return is on Thursday. About the squad: I have no idea. I don't really follow football in August, sorry
You are the AZ reporter in this forum you should know everything from the latest players signing and where the AZ players go in there spare time.
So start stalking Johntas

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2010, 13:20 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.nl
AZ reach play-off round
5 augustus 2010

GÖTEBORG- AZ advanced to the playoff round of the Europa League in spite of a 1-0 defeat against IFK Göteborg on Thursday night. Stefan Selakovic scored a second-half goal to help the hosts to victory, but AZ progressed to the next round 2-1 on aggregate after they recorded a 2-0 home win last week. Kolbeinn Sigthórsson made his AZ debut in a competitive game.

Gertjan Verbeek was forced to make two changes to the team that beat IFK Göteborg last week, bringing on Celso Ortiz and Nick van der Velden for the injured Nick Viergever and Charlison Benschop.

AZ had the first chances of the game, but Van der Velden’s effort took a deflection off a defender and went just wide. Pontus Wernbloom fired over the bar and Johann Berg Gudmundsson turned provider for Erik Falkenburg on the half-hour mark, but the deputy striker put his shot over the bar. At the other end, IFK Göteborg, currently lying in ninth place in the Swedish league, threatened once, but Joey Didulica pulled off an excellent save to deny Tobias Hysén.

Selakovic
The home side racked up the pressure on the AZ defence after the break. After substitute Brett Holman had failed to convert a good chance, former sc Heerenveen striker Selakovic opened the scoring from a clinical finish: 1-0. Göteborg surged forward in numbers and AZ survived a couple of scary moments. Keeper Didulica put in a heroic goalkeeping display to keep AZ in the game.

Sigthórsson debut
The visitors had one opportunity to put the result beyond doubt but Icelander Gudmundsson just failed to connect with fellow countryman Kolbeinn Sigthórsson. Sigthórsson, who joined AZ in the summer of 2007, came on as a substitute with fifteen minutes left, making his AZ debut in a competitive match.

Draw
AZ booked a place in the playoff round of the Europa Cup, following the 2-1 win on aggregate over IFK Göteborg. The draw for the playoff round will take place on Friday, August 6, 13:30.

MATCH STATISTICS:
IFK Göteborg – AZ 1-0 (0-0)

Teams:
IFK Göteborg: Marcus Sandberg; Adam Johansson, Gustav Svensson, Erik Lund (82. Nicklas Bärkroth), Ragnar Sigurdsson, Hjalmar Jonsson; Jakob Johansson (62. Robin Söder), Elmar Bjarnason; Stefan Selakovic, Tobias Hysén, Hannes Stiller.
AZ: Joey Didulica; Dirk Marcellis, Kew Jaliens, Niklas Moisander, Ragnar Klavan; Pontus Wernbloom, Celso Ortiz, Maarten Martens; Nick van der Velden (66. Brett Holman), Erik Falkenburg (75. Kolbeinn Sigthórsson), Johann Berg Gudmundsson.

Goals: 67. Selakovic 1-0.
Booked: Didulica, Jaliens (AZ), Selakovic (IFK Göteborg).
Sent off: -
Referee: Claudio Circhetta.
Attendance: 10.115
The draw just took place, now we face... er... [Google]FK Aktobe[/Google]. They're from a country ending in -stan.
The first game is on Thursday 19 August in Alkmaar, the return is on 26 August in... Stan.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2010, 21:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Kazakhstan. Aktobe have twice been eliminated in CL qualifiers by Israeli clubs the past two seasons. They could have qualified too [broke away 3-0 in Haifa two years ago]. I was disappointed, would have been nice to see a new team and from this country in the group phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2010, 07:39
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Kind of strange they are not in the Asian confederation, dont you think Jeff? I mean they are the only country that is in Asia and dont have an excuse not to be there (im referring to Israel here). The country is clearly in Asia and not on the borderline like Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan.

I wonder how they would do in the AFC if they were to join. Uzbekistan are quite formidable opponents in Asia and i wonder if they are better than them.

Excuse this post that may not interest you Slag.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2010, 22:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I think TGO wondered as much because in Europe they're against stronger opposition and so often in matches they're standing on the back-foot doing little more than defending; while in the AFC, they would have more games with more variations through defense, midfield and attack, allowing themselves to express themselves in greater capacities. Although I'm thinking of the NT - of course in UEFA their teams can enter into Europa and CL and have some success. Their teams in Asian Champions League... the test would be less strenuous. The standard is obviously lowered. Well, it's interesting.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2010, 05:32
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Any comments regarding the NAC game, Slag?
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2010, 12:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
He's probably busy still trying to convince Dembele that Birmingham is the right place for him. How long has that transfer been on?

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2010, 12:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Well, it's helping. Dembélé is currently in talks with them.
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:37
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Slag man, are you still in Asia or are you too embarrassed to come on XT after your loss to us?
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2010, 19:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

He's gone forever

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2010, 18:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
He has been sold too to clear the debts of AZ.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 18:33
World Class Player

Sadly we lost 3-1 to PSV in our 1st game

But we are into next round of Europa league 3-2 on Agg we won

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 18:34
World Class Player

Hope he comes back we miss him here

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2010, 17:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
So you're still without a win so far, even Excelsior at home is too difficult...
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2010, 17:29
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
and people were slagging us off

Excelsior/Feyenoord 2 simply have great talents

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2010, 17:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
The Judoka knows how to start badly.
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2010, 19:26
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Heavy mistake from Didulica but still normally this should be a 3-0, or 3-1 in this case...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in