Tomasson?
El Hamdaoui

LW:
Stoch
Eriksen
Dzudsak
Biseswar
Dembélé

Couple of question marks because Bruins has only recently become a starter and Tomasson seems to be the most logical pick for the striker position but he's been injured a lot. Also, Martens seems to be the new am for AZ but he has also played at lw a lot. I put Dembélé at lw for AZ because I had to fit in Lens somewhere.

What are your picks and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2010, 12:15
Rising Star

Teams: De Graafschap and Wrexham
My picks won't be as in-depth as you guys, it's mostly based on what I read but also who I've seen in matches on my trips to the Netherlands.
I'm going to cheat on my front three, not sticking to the categories that you've put them if that is okay.

GOAL - Steklenburg (always a safe pair of hands when I've seen him, Romero as reserve)
RB - Stam (Jaliens was closest, haven't seen enough of the rest)
RCB - Vlaar (quality, Alderweireld as next best)
LCB - Douglas (surely snapped up from Twente soon? - Vertonghen next in line)
LB - Gio VB (for the experience, Tiendalli next)
DM - Engelaar (I'm a big fan of his, if not him in this team... Fer)
CM - Afellay (a popular choice De Zeeuw just edges out Schaars for the reserve)
AM - Perez (done it at some top NL clubs, Maartens closest to him)
RW - Ruiz (seems perverse not to have Suarez in, but he's first reserve or maybe Wijnaldum)
ST - Lens (really impressed me earlier this season, pace to burn, if I'm not allowed to cheat then I'll take El Hamdaoui)
LW - Dembélé (like his talent, Dzudsak next, haven't seen enough of Eriksen or Biseswar)

So I make it Twente 4, Ajax 1 (!), PSV 2, Feyenoord 2, AZ 2
Can't believe I've got no Ajax outfield players, but that's how it's come out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2010, 13:04
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
Romero
Van der Wiel - Moreno - Vertonghen - Gio
Brama - De Zeeuw
Lens - Suarez - Stoch
El Hamdaoui

I've put Romero in goal. I don't think he's reached Stekelenburg's level just yet, but I do think he has more potential for the future. I don't see Steek getting much better than he is already while Romero has some growth in him.

RB - not a contest, it has to be Van der Wiel.
RCB - Moreno has been the most consistent player out of that list counting from August.
LCB - Vertonghen. So many games wasted on midfield, this seems to be his calling.
LB - Gio. Out of a rather sad list, it has to be said.

DMs - Brama and De Zeeuw trump the others in the consistency department again. Afellay and Schaars seem to have hit their (disappointing) ceilings.

AMs - I didn't like the AM list (Perez, De Jong, Bakkal, Bruins, Martens) so I picked two players from the RW list and I decided to put Suarez on #10 and Lens on the right. That leaves Stoch on the left. He had some big boots to fill after Elia left but he filled them. Dembélé has been much too disappointing this season.

ST - Has to be El Hamdaoui despite his struggling first half of the season. None of the others rub me the right way.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2010, 21:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça

Stekelenburg

Van der Wiel | Vlaar | Douglas | Gio

De Zeeuw | Bakkal | Brama

Ruiz | El Hamdaoui | Suarez

Man this team would totally own the league.

GK: Stekelenburg is the best goalie in the league with Isaksson and Boschker battling it out for 2nd place. However, if Velthuizen would've played for a top 5 club he would probably surpass those 2.
RB: Van der Wiel easily. Stam and Manolev come in at 2nd place.
RCB: Vlaar, what a comeback, very impressive.
LCB: Douglas, probably the best defender in the league
LB: Gio, for the lack of better options
RM: De Zeeuw, our best transfer this season and one of the best and most inspirational midfielders in the league. Jansen is close though.
LM: Brama, followed by Enoh and Fer. No comment on Engelaar and Mendes da Silva.
AM: Bakkal. Didn't want to cheat too much so I picked him from the options I posted. De Jong only started to shine after the winter break and Perez is aging. Martens has had a huge dip in form and Bruins just recently became a starter.
RW: Ruiz, who else? The others (apart from Suarez) have not been that great this season.
LW: Suarez. Had to cheat a little but leaving him out would be just criminal. And he's been way better than Stoch, Biseswar and Dembélé. Eriksen is very promising but has only played a hand full of matches. Dzudsak is the only other viable option at this spot.
ST: El Hamdaoui. N'Kufo is aging and it shows, Tomasson has been injured a lot, Koevermans is hardly a starter, and Pantelic has done a good job but El Hamdaoui is obviously the better player.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2010, 22:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Stekelenburg

Van der Wiel | Vlaar | Douglas | Gio

De Zeeuw | Ruiz | Brama

Lens | El Ham | Suarez

K: Stekelenburg first. With Romero second. The other three goalies are yuk.
RB: Van der Wiel. Although he sometimes forgets his defensive duty once in a while, there's no one who can counter his attacking skills.
RCB: Vlaar. In case Ruiz hasn't scored a goal in the 85th minute. Still unproven at European level.
LCB: Douglas. Strong fellow.
LB: Gio. Other options are not spectacular, although Anita looked decent again.
RM: De Zeeuw. He has to stick though to what he's best at.
LM: Brama. If Enoh had shown the form he does the last couple of weeks he would have been my number 1.
AM: Ruiz. To get the best attacking quartet in.
RW: Lens. Pace and goals at the wing
LW: Suarez. 29 goals, 15 assists and a bag full still too of missed chances, but he has to be in.
ST: El Hamdaoui. Other options are all pretty much browsing websites of retirementhomes at the net and that shows.

No PSV'ers, cause I don't like any of their players. Only Bakkal, but he lost it to Ruiz.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2010, 16:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Isaksson

Van der Wiel - Vlaar - Douglas - Van Bronckhorst

De Zeeuw - Affellay - Brama

Ruiz - Suarez - Dzudsak

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 02:29
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
GK: Iskasson. Best goalie in the league imo. Saves PSV much more than Stek does for Ajax.

RB: Van der Wiel. Edges out both Manolev and Stam because he firstly has more potential and secondly is all round a better player both defensively and going foward.
CB: Vlaar. Revelation of the season. Where would Feyenoord be without him?
CB: Verthongen. Best Ajax CB. Wasted in midfield for several seasons and honestly i reckon hes better than Vermaelen. Havent seen enough of Douglas so thats why he misses out.
LB: Gio. Really no other option seeing as he is still playing a high level with the Oranje. Pieters would be my second option.

DM: de Zeeuw. As much as i despise him he has been overall more consistent than my otherwise favoured peopel for this position Brama and Engelaar.
CM: Afellay. Although hes had a slow transition in this position he has adapted well. PSV arnt the same without him and Schaars when in form is the only player that is near his level.
AM: Perez. You can never write his free kicks or a glimpse of magic of. His competition for this spot is rubbish though.

RW: Ruiz. Like de Zeeuw as much as i despise him has been the most consistent. 22 goals in his first season making the step up from Gent is amazing. Is the reason why Twente are where they are despite his lack of technical ability.
ST: Suarez. The biggest w**ker in the league. Nevertheless in all honesty is also the best player in the league. 29 goals this year and despite his recent slump Ajax are just not the same without him (like Man U without Rooney).
LW: Dzusdszak. Although hes been getting on my nerves lately he has won a lot of games for PSV this year with his 11 league goals and has provided a lot of assist. Has potential but is sometimes one dimensional although the same can be said about Stoch who imo is his main competitor.

Isaksson

Vd Wiel - Vlaar - Verthongen - Gio

de Zeeuw - Afellay

Ruiz - Perez - Dzsudszak

Suarez

3 PSV players and 4 Ajax players. You can't call me bias now guys. Unlucky that AZ are not having a stellar season because Dembele, El Ham and Schaars could easily be in this team, as they were in my best Eredivisie team last season. Lens has been good although only recently imo mainly due to lack of opportunities earlier in the season.

Whats with people selecting Bakkal as their AM btw?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 08:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Ruiz not technical?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 08:23
International

I can't believe you people keep picking Vlaar over Moreno, what brand of crazy chauvinism is this? One has played almost all AZ games this season scoring good grades all the way while the other completely bombed (again) in Oranje against the mighty USA.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 09:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Nutmegged once by Jozy Altidore when he just came on and he's a flop p

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:24
International

Two words: Luca Toni.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

How many blunders did Heitinga make when still a kid?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:43
International

I don't remember any obvious ones like that though. And it's about improvement. If you fail in Oranje at that age, that's one thing. But if you come back a few years later and still bomb... that's worrying.

Ask yourself why Vlaar is being called up. Is it because he's really just that good or is it because we don't have any alternatives?

Moreno's been getting limited playing time because Mexico is riddled with quality defenders. We can hardly say the same.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

True but it hasn't helped that he;s hardly played in Europe since too. Really hope we at least makethe main stages next season or it'll be another generation of players who'll have to seek greater ambitions at a too premature stage in their careers

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post

Moreno's been getting limited playing time because Mexico is riddled with quality defenders. We can hardly say the same.
Salcido and Maza? p

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2010, 10:56
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
True but it hasn't helped that he;s hardly played in Europe since too. Really hope we at least makethe main stages next season or it'll be another generation of players who'll have to seek greater ambitions at a too premature stage in their careers
European experience would tell us a lot more, agreed. It's why I'm skeptical of taking Lens to South Africa. Moreno didn't mess up horrendously during our brief CL campaign. No massive blunders. Lens didn't play much in Europe, however, so he's a huge question mark.

Aside from that delicious goal in Ličge I witnessed live at Sclessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Salcido and Maza? p
They have some really scary looking dudes from the Mexican league. Not that I watch them often, maybe they stink against the bigger countries. I dunno.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:48
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivu View Post
Ruiz not technical?
Hes got a good touch and all but hes not the trickiest of wingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
They have some really scary looking dudes from the Mexican league. Not that I watch them often, maybe they stink against the bigger countries. I dunno.
It escapes me how Salcido is still playing for both PSV and Mexico. Maza seemed solid during the start of the season but has deteriorated horrifically as the season has gone on. Don't know why Marcellis and Ooijer dont start really.

Getting back to the thread i only saw Moreno in the CL seeing as i havent seen AZ play in the league this year apart from them playing PSV and i have been impressed. He was the best defender in the CL games i saw and is easily your best defender. Tbh i think your other defenders let the team and Moreno down and thats why i thinks hes not as highly rated.

Good enough answer, Slag?

p.s. he should start together with Marquez for Mexico
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2010, 17:42
International

Brilliant answer, totally agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in