Relegation - Who will keep the red lantern at the end of the season? - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: The number 18 of the Eredivisie at the end will be...
RKC Waalwijk 6 75.00%
ADO Den Haag 0 0%
Willem II 1 12.50%
NEC 0 0%
Heerenveen 0 0%
Roda JC 1 12.50%
Sparta Rotterdam 0 0%
Vitesse 0 0%
Another team 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2010, 21:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Relegation - Who will keep the red lantern at the end of the season?

More interesting battle of course than the coverversion of the Farmers war at the top. Long time it looked a no brainer with RKC failing to get any point, but since they managed to get some wins behind their belt they are within a game and reach of the other sides likes ADO and Willem II.

An unfamiliar name at the bottom half now with Heerenveen. Without Pranjic, crappy import and an average trainer the last play-off spot is the best they can get.

Code:
Current standing:
11. Vitesse      18  5  3 10  18  21-32
12. Sparta R'dam 18  5  3 10  18  19-35
13. Roda JC      18  4  5  9  17  23-34
14. Heerenveen   18  5  2 11  17  17-32
15. NEC          18  3  7  8  16  21-32
16. Willem II    18  4  2 12  14  20-34
17. ADO Den Haag 18  3  5 10  14  18-35
18. RKC Waalwijk 18  4  0 14  12  16-36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2010, 22:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
ADO seemed to lose it a bit before the winterbreak.

A lot of mediocrity there but in the end I still think RKC will finish bottom as they simply lack goals up front.

Heerenveen scoring just 17 goals is pretty shocking though and this when Papadoupoulos hasn't been seen as a bad transfer. Tells you about their midfield full of Grindheims

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2010, 22:29
Rising Star

Teams: De Graafschap and Wrexham
Yep, I've voted for RKC too.
Only ADO perhaps to rival them for bottom place.
I think the bottom three now will be the bottom three at the end of the season, but I think Willem II will be quite a few points clear of ADO and RKC.

EDIT: What is the origin of the "red lantern" phrase?
It isn't something we use over here. Thanks
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 09:20
International

Teams: AZ Alkmaar
^^ La laterne rouge refers to the red lantern hung on the caboose of a railway train, which conductors would look for in order to make sure none of the couplings had become disconnected. It's a proverbial award handed out to the cyclist who finishes last in the Tour de France. Later it became a household phrase in football as well and it found its way to the Netherlands through Belgium.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 13:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Voted for RKC as they still have the weakest squad I think and I don't see them do spectacular signings before the end of the transfer window...

Expect Willem II to end up in the playoffs and hopefully relegate too while the other spot will be between Roda and ADO I think, but just hope it won't be VVV...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:04
International

^^ You don't like Willem II?

RKC's fate seems sealed. I expect NEC and ADO to play the playoffs, both of them will sink.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

and Cambuur with Mark de Vries to get promoted

Actually would prefer seeing just Willem II go down. Uninspiring side. ADO at least is a parody of Feyenoord while NEC have a nut in Marcel Bookhoorn backing them.

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:09
Rising Star

Teams: De Graafschap and Wrexham
Three big games for Willem II coming up in the next two weeks.
Away to Heerenveen this weekend.
Then at home to RKC on the 29th, then away to NEC on the 2nd.

All three opponents are down there with them, one win minimum requirement surely?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:10
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Hope Roda make the drop, but I strongly doubt that'll happen.

Either of Willem II or RKC IMO. ADO needs to stay!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
^^ You don't like Willem II?
No not really, can't really describe it, perhaps uninspiring indeed fits... Also don't really like NAC and their arrogant fans but at least they've got some passion for their club which makes them the main force in west-Brabant while of course PSV covers the middle and east.
Willem II are coming from the 6th biggest city of Holland and are indeed surrounded by many other proclubs but still they easily should be able to finish mid table if the whole city should stand behind them, but for some reason in Tilburg the club isn't 'alive', many Tilburgers have season tickets at PSV and in the city you just don't 'smell' football, opposite to many other cities in the Netherlands.

btw, look at their last five matches...

- zo 4/4 - Willem II - PSV
- zo 11/4 - FC Groningen - Willem II
- wo 14/4 - Willem II - Ajax
- zo 18/4 - Willem II - AZ
- zo 2/5 - Roda JC - Willem II

Really don't hope Roda goes down because that probably means the end of professional football on the long term in south-Limburg.
Fortuna are on the right way but will never go up in the near future, they're happy not to go down. MVV are struggling heavily with that Bilgic guy not turning up and having serious financial problems and if Roda relegates I don't expect them to be able to stay alive, it's going to be a second Fortuna story then probably...

Look at the top-teams in the Jupiler League, which are the sleeping giants Cambuur, De Graafschap and Go Ahead, prefer them a thousand times over a club like Willem II.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
No not really, can't really describe it, perhaps uninspiring indeed fits... Also don't really like NAC and their arrogant fans but at least they've got some passion for their club which makes them the main force in west-Brabant while of course PSV covers the middle and east.
Willem II are coming from the 6th biggest city of Holland and are indeed surrounded by many other proclubs but still they easily should be able to finish mid table if the whole city should stand behind them, but for some reason in Tilburg the club isn't 'alive', many Tilburgers have season tickets at PSV and in the city you just don't 'smell' football, opposite to many other cities in the Netherlands.

They also have financial problems don't they? first get that in order before getting more George Mourads.

btw worried about the VI article from last week about FC Utrechts wages? Van Seumeren but I guess you'll need to qualify for Europe this season to justify it all and even so, the Europa League hardly reaps any rewards.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:41
International

Quote:

btw, look at their last five matches...

- zo 4/4 - Willem II - PSV
- zo 11/4 - FC Groningen - Willem II
- wo 14/4 - Willem II - Ajax
- zo 18/4 - Willem II - AZ
- zo 2/5 - Roda JC - Willem II

Really don't hope Roda goes down because that probably means the end of professional football on the long term in south-Limburg.
Fortuna are on the right way but will never go up in the near future, they're happy not to go down. MVV are struggling heavily with that Bilgic guy not turning up and having serious financial problems and if Roda relegates I don't expect them to be able to stay alive, it's going to be a second Fortuna story then probably...

Look at the top-teams in the Jupiler League, which are the sleeping giants Cambuur, De Graafschap and Go Ahead, prefer them a thousand times over a club like Willem II.
I'm sorta neutral on Willem II, uninspiring is a great way to describe them. But I'd rather see Roda go down, I can't stand them. I also think Roda's presence in the Eredivisie is hampering the progress of professional football in Southern Limburg. When all the clubs there go down, the cooperation plans will probably gather some new momentum. Or if 2 out of 3 end up going bankrupt and becoming amateur institutions, the third one will probably rise to become another Groningen or Heerenveen.

Cambuur, De Graafschap and Go Ahead would all be fine additions to the Eredivisie, I agree.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:44
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Ingolstadt 04
I've been watching the Dutch league ever since they started broadcasting it here, and I ****ing hate Roda, so I want them to go down

When all the lights go out forever
Somewhere near the end of time
The noise will pass and the dust will settle
And you'll be on my mind
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 14:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
btw worried about the VI article from last week about FC Utrechts wages? Van Seumeren but I guess you'll need to qualify for Europe this season to justify it all and even so, the Europa League hardly reaps any rewards.
Like you say, whether we'll qualify for the Europa League isn't really of any importance financially. At the point the Europa League is becoming profitable we're already eliminated some months probably.
On the other hand it will be very hard to qualify for Europe

Our wages raised a lot but that's not weird as indeed all those money is coming from Van Seumeren, that's the person we have to believe and rely on, we've got no other choice but a fact is our finances should be back on track within three years otherwise we get the same story as several years ago where luckily escaped in the end.

However on this moment we can just wait and hope Van Seumeren knows what he's doing...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 15:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'm sorta neutral on Willem II, uninspiring is a great way to describe them. But I'd rather see Roda go down, I can't stand them. I also think Roda's presence in the Eredivisie is hampering the progress of professional football in Southern Limburg. When all the clubs there go down, the cooperation plans will probably gather some new momentum. Or if 2 out of 3 end up going bankrupt and becoming amateur institutions, the third one will probably rise to become another Groningen or Heerenveen.
Roda always has been the main force in Limburg and still have most fans, if Roda goes down they'll probably go bankrupt. Like I said Fortuna and MVV already are in heavy financial problems.
One big force in Limburg would financially be an outcome but last seasons merging talks have proven the fans and also directors aren't ready for it and probably won't be ready for it in the next ten years or so.
With that, the area's where Fortuna (westelijke mijnstreek), Roda (oostelijke mijnstreek) and MVV (Maastricht) are coming from are all three different regions with social and cultural differences, it's just like you can't merge Arnhem and Nijmegen or Tilburg and Breda for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefecito20 View Post
I've been watching the Dutch league ever since they started broadcasting it here, and I ****ing hate Roda, so I want them to go down
For which reason?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2010, 15:11
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Ingolstadt 04
Quote:

For which reason?
Dunno, just don't happen to like them, maybe to do with the fact they kept beating my Ajax team on FM

When all the lights go out forever
Somewhere near the end of time
The noise will pass and the dust will settle
And you'll be on my mind
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
and Cambuur with Mark de Vries to get promoted

Actually would prefer seeing just Willem II go down. Uninspiring side. ADO at least is a parody of Feyenoord while NEC have a nut in Marcel Bookhoorn backing them.
Odd to think that Willem II had some class players (at least for their standard) in the past with the likes of Stam, Hyypia, Galasek, Van Gastel, Jaliens, Mathijsen, Landzaat, Ramzi, Van der Vegt, Sektioui and the two assmen Konterman and Bombarda. Now they have Demouge who scores a goal when on a roll and Aerts yelling his last hairs off in goal.

So I went for Willem II this time.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 14:09
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
RKC is going downnnnnnnn.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 17:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivu View Post
Odd to think that Willem II had some class players (at least for their standard) in the past with the likes of Stam, Hyypia, Galasek, Van Gastel, Jaliens, Mathijsen, Landzaat, Ramzi, Van der Vegt, Sektioui and the two assmen Konterman and Bombarda. Now they have Demouge who scores a goal when on a roll and Aerts yelling his last hairs off in goal.

So I went for Willem II this time.
and Ibrahim Kargbo picking a fight when he feels like it.

Other than that, not much and yeah those were some great names in the past.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2010, 07:33
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
RKC definetly to finish last imo. I think that ADO and Venlo might get the other two play-off relegation spots. No wat Willem II are going down now with Nijland and i actually don't mind Roda tbh although they have been a bogey team for us the last couple of seasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in