Poland-Romania - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:19 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Poland-Romania

Romania is a very talented squad in which play wit a similar style to our WC rivals Portugal.

The date is April 17, 2002, taking place in Bydgoszcz at the Zawisza stadium. The match kick-offs at local time of 7pm, whilst on the same day, the two nations will battle out an Under-21 match at Swiecie na Wisla, with a kick-off penciled in for 3pm.

Engel's squad-

Keepers:

Jerzy Dudek (FC Liverpool, Anglia), Radoslaw Majdan (Goeztepe Izmir, Turcja).

Defenders:

Tomasz Klos (FC Kaiserslautern, Niemcy), Tomasz Hajto, Tomasz Waldoch (obaj Schalke 04 Gelsenkirchen, Niemcy), Jacek Bak (RC Lens, Francja), Michal Zewlakow (Excelsior Mouscron, Belgia), Tomasz Rzasa (Feyenoord Rotterdam, Holandia).

Mid-fielders:

Marek Kozmiński (Ancona), Radoslaw Kaluzny (Energie Cottbus, Niemcy), Piotr Swierczewski (Olympique Marsylia, Francja), Jacek Krzynówek (FC Nuernberg, Niemcy), Tomasz Iwan (Austria Wiedeń, Austria).

Strikers:

Emmanuel Olisadebe (Panathinaikos Ateny, Grecja), Pawel Kryszalowicz (Eintracht Frankfurt, Niemcy), Marcin Zewlakow (Excelsior Mouscron, Belgia).

-Smolarek is missing due to a knee injury

Anghel Iordanescu's squad-

Gheorghe Popescu (Lecce), Cosmin Contra (AC Milan), Iulian Filipescu (Betis), Paul Codrea (Genoa), Cristian Chivu (Ajax), Tiberiu Ghioane, Florin Cernat (both from Dynamo Kiev), Dorinel Munteanu (Wolfsburg), Alin Stoica (RSCA Anderlecht), Adrian Mutu (Verona), Viorel Moldovan (Nantes) and Ionel Ganea (Stuttgart).

-Romania is a good squad and we should try our best against them because they are a squad that deserves to be in the WC. They might teach us a few things as well . Of course im hoping for a Poland win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:29
Rising Star

Teams: Poland, Lechia Gdansk
I don't know why Smolar is missing. As far as I know, he should be OK in two weeks. Does this mean that he is a shoe-in for Korea, or quite the opposite, that Engel thinks that his time has not yet come? I mean, do you guys really think that that he will go to the WC based on his performance in 45 minutes against N. Ireland and maybe another half a game against Estonia?

By the way, where did you get this list team from, Kaluza? And, I am assuming that it's just the foreign based players, and that there will be a handful of domestis as well...

European Championships here we come!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

i got it from here-

http://wyborcza.gazeta.pl/info/artyk...2&dzial=010400

Smolarek is really considered because he can play both on the right and left side of mid, as well as striker. Karwan's injury has takin a lot out of him and he's not the same...for now. Smolarek can be worth a lot playin on that right side instead of Iwan.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:35 Thread Starter
Premier Player

and yes, he can still call up players from our league. I do hope he calls up Szymkowiak as well as Kosowski again. Zuraw might get another call up. Zielinski and maybe one other person as well
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:43
Rising Star

Plus, I heard that Karwan broke his nose! I agree that Smolarek would be an asset, and I would love to see him, but I just don't think he has had enough exposure to the NT for Engel to feel confident enough to take him. I also think that if Zurawski will get a call up for this game, he is certain to go the Korea. It may be too late for Szymkowiak, but who knows.

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:48 Thread Starter
Premier Player

yes, karwan broke his nose...actually someone's elbow broke it . He will not even play in the Legia-Polonia derby, which is good for me since im a Polonia fan . Anyway, Smolarek's call up is very important. Like i said, we dont have that much depth on that side. That side is very weak. Anything right now that seems for the best probably is. Smolarek should get another call up. That of course doesn't mean that he will start in the WC. If he's good, i say take him! He injured now but he wants to play soo bad that he's sure to make an impact when he starts to play. If he wont play vs Romania, he will almost surely play vs Estonia. About Zurawski, i think that his game has gone down a lil, but he still deserves to go.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 18:56
International

To Barlinek and Kaluzny.
You mentioned on the Romanian Forum that you have players missing. Enough excuses! So do we!
Adrian Ilie (Valencia)
Niculaie (Sporting)
Pancu (Rapid)

These are key players and the latter 2 were phenomenol this year. Also Codrea a talented young midfielder will also not play (although he is included in the squad.)

So let's not put so much emphasis on who's not playing, and just watch a good soccer game.
And don't worry Poland qualified to the WC and we did not, you guys should have no problem kicking our asses ( as if you guys needed any more pressure to win )
just kidding, i will be supporting Polska at the WC no matter what...
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 19:22
Premier Player

Ya, but the problem is our mindset going into these friendlies. Our players don not come to play. Ever.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 20:49 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Marius
To Barlinek and Kaluzny.
You mentioned on the Romanian Forum that you have players missing. Enough excuses! So do we!
Adrian Ilie (Valencia)
Niculaie (Sporting)
Pancu (Rapid)

These are key players and the latter 2 were phenomenol this year. Also Codrea a talented young midfielder will also not play (although he is included in the squad.)

So let's not put so much emphasis on who's not playing, and just watch a good soccer game.
And don't worry Poland qualified to the WC and we did not, you guys should have no problem kicking our asses ( as if you guys needed any more pressure to win )
just kidding, i will be supporting Polska at the WC no matter what...
i never said that those were excuses! the romanians stated their injuries and we did too. Jus because u didn't make it to the WC and we did doesn't mean that we should beat u guys. I personally think Romania should be there just as much as Poland. U have a good side, like i mentioned before. It will be a good game

Barlinek, ur right, we never want to play in freindlies. I hope that will change after the Japan game. We were embarassed. I wouldn't have cared if we lost, but i care about the way we did play, and that was with no heart and motivation. They didn't want to play for some reason. I hope this all changes before the Romania match
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 21:22
Premier Player

Ya i know. I hope its not all talk either. Regardless if we even lose our next two games, it will all be forgotten come June 4th.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 21:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

we shouldn't just play hard on games that count. We'll never get good like that.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 21:41
Rising Star

The match with Japan was no so long ago so I hope
our players remember it very well...
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 21:57
Premier Player

True, but what can you do. Remember, after the friendlies, we have 3 solid weeks of preparing as a team. So the key is to avoid injuries, and get used to playing with eachother. Friendlies are not played for results.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 22:12 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Barlinek, that is very tru and i agree with u. But its also good to get into a "groove" before we go to the WC. It is important to improve the chemistry of the team. That is also an important factor to think about. and beast, i dont think that they will forget about that Japan game any time soon
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2002, 22:25
Rising Star

Let's hope so
I wonder who will start in this match.I'll say:

Majdan
Klos,J.Bak,Zielinski(Hajto),Kozminski
Iwan,Kaluzny,Swierczewski(A.Bak),Krzynowek
Olisadebe,Kryszalowicz(Marcin Zewlakow)
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2002, 01:31 Thread Starter
Premier Player

these are just the domestic players. Engel will still anounce players from our league as well. I think that Karwan, which in two weeks we don't no how good will be, but for now, i would start him over Iwan. I think that since he called up Kosowski last time, but didn't play him, then he might call him up again and actually play him this time. I think Engel should also look for a right mid in our league.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2002, 05:25
Rookie

Situation with Smolarek is still unclear. If he has to undergo surgery he will definitely be out for WC. Too bad, he's been good recently. He'd be great sub when we need someone creative with fresh legs.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2002, 14:21
Premier Player

I don't think Smolarek's injury is anything serious. At least thats what the web site and his father said.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2002, 18:31 Thread Starter
Premier Player

no, his father said that Ebi is a strong boy

He was doubtful for the first Feyenoord match, but i think they took him out of the second just incase. I think he should be better before the Romania match. Can Engel still call him up even though he called all of the foreign based players already?
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2002, 18:39
Rising Star

Since April 16 is an official FIFA match date, Engel has to annnounce the squads two weeks in advance to make sure that the club will release the players. But he can still call up Smolarek, if Feyenoord agrees to let him go informally. But it's up to Feyenoord to make that decision now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in