Legia Warsaw Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 12:37 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Legia Warsaw Thread

I'm afraid I'm the only one to write something in this thread, but I hope it'll change in the future...

Ok, here's the current Legia squad:

Goalkeepers:
Wojciech Kowalewski (22 years old), Radostin Stanew

Defenders:
Tomasz Jarzebowski(24), Tomasz Lapinski(33), Maciej Murawski(28), Siergiej Omeljanchuk(22), Rafa³ Siadaczka(30), Wojciech Szala(26), Jacek Zielinski(35), Marijan Gerasimovski(28)

Midfielders:
Bartosz Karwan(26), Tomasz Kielbowicz(26), Jacek Magiera(25), Adam Majewski(29), Tomasz Mazurkiewicz(21 - on loan to Aarhus), Mariusz Piekarski(27), Aleksandr Vukovic(23), Maciej Wojtas(22), Radoslaw Wroblewski(22), Tomasz Sokolowski(32)

Strikers
Cezary Kucharski(28), Lukasz Mierzejewski(20), Stanko Svitlica(26), Moussa Yahaya(27), Sylwester Czereszewski(31)

Head coach:
Dragomir Okuka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 12:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The stars of the team are NT players - Jacek Zielinski and Bartosz Karwan. Both of them have very good chances of going to the WC

Other players who are capped at international level are: Kowalewski (debut on Sunday ), Lapinski, Siadaczka, Gerasimovski (Macedonia), Kielbowicz, Sokolwski, Piekarski, Kucharski and Czereszewski

The most promissing youngsters are: Belorussian defender Omeljanchuk, Yugoslavian midfielder Vukovic, and Polish players - Mierzejewski, Mazurkiewicz and Wroblewski

Watch them
post #3 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 13:14 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Legia is currently placed 2nd in the Polish League, 3 points behind the last year champions - Wisla.

Expectations aren't high this season. There were much better players than those who are currently at the club and even they hadn't won anything spectacular for the last few years.

Apart from personal problems, the club is also suffering from a kind of financial unstability. It's because Daewoo have withdrawn from Legia and a new management (holding Pol-Mot) has some problems to find other shareholders.

Although Legia is still considered to one of the powers of Polish League, strong favourites to win this year title is Wisla. Of course, I don't mind if Legia unexpectedly spoil their hopes But it's gonna be extremely difficult

The results of the pre-season friendlies are:

Wisloka Debica 2:1
Banik Ostrava 1:1
Dinamo Moscow 1:2
Cska Sofia 0:0
Liteks Lowecz 2:3
Red Star Belgrade 0:1
Lks Lodz 4:1
Aalborg 1:0

The next game will be played tomorrow, vs Shakhtar Donetsk

post #4 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 14:24
Rising Star

Quote:
Legia - Red Star Belgrade 0-1
post #5 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 16:18
Rising Star

Difficult, but not impossible Legia can pull it off. Tell me Prewitt, I agree that Omeljanczuk and Vukovic are filled with great potential, what do you think of Svitlica. I mean, he does have a great scoring touch, even if he seems to be floating at times. His stats are not that bad, 4 goals, 6 starts or so, he's not a total waste. In fact, I think he has a lot of promise for more goals.
post #6 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 23:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by ZvEzDaS
Legia Warsaw - Red Star Belgrade 0:1

Zvezda overplayed Legia in the 1st half and scored a goal in 25th minute. In the 2nd half Legia was slightly better, but Svitlica missed golden oportunity to equalise. Rather deserved victory for Zvezda, but it was only a friendly

To be honest, I expected much worse result for Legia. We played without our key players. And actually Okuka hasn't been able to play full squad in any of the friendlies
post #7 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 23:39
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, Liverpool FC, Israeli NT
Quote:
Originally posted by Prewitt
Other players who are capped at international level are: Kowalewski (debut on Sunday ), Lapinski, Siadaczka, Gerasimovski (Macedonia), Kielbowicz, Sokolwski, Piekarski, Kucharski and Czereszewski
Regarding Sokolowski, he was supposed to play in Israel this season but was dismissed by the club as they claimed they already have his position covered though he was said to be an extremely talented player.

"Stop and stare...I think I'm moving but I go nowhere...."

:dielaugh:Beitar Jerusalem:dielaugh:

- Israeli Double Winners! League and State Cup Winners 2007/2008!

- 2006/2007 League Champions!
post #8 of 494 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 23:45 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Slawek, it's still difficult to rate Svitlica.

He's played only several times this season (due to injuries).
Svitlica plays much of, let's say, Juskowiak style. You have no idea that he's on the pitch - until he scores He's good at finishing but unable to create opportunities on his own.

I think he'll be a regular starter (along with Kucharski) at the beginning of the round. But definitely has to score goals, otherwise Czereszewski will replace him soon.
post #9 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 00:20 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Raanan

Regarding Sokolowski, he was supposed to play in Israel this season but was dismissed by the club as they claimed they already have his position covered though he was said to be an extremely talented player.
Yeah, he came back from Israel after 2 or 3 months.

What is funny, he plays much better now than before that trip

Sokolowski was linked with some bitter defeats that Legia suffered during last few years. Most of Legia fans were fed up with him, with Czereszewski, Citko, Majewski and many other names who came to this club to restore its glory and let us down.

So there was a big sigh of relief when "Sokol" (btw, that's 'falcon' in Polish ) moved to Israel. Then he came back and unexcpectedly started to be like the good old Sokolowski from 96/97 season (definitely the peak of his form)

He usually plays as a left midfielder, but is also capable of playing in the middle if necessary. Good for him as his rival at the left wing is Radoslaw Wroblewski, young, pacey and ambitious player. Sokolowski is a solid player with good passing and shooting skills, but I doubt if he has ever had enough potential to become a regular starter in Polish NT, which, in my opinion, is within Wroblewski's reach.
post #10 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 01:10
Premier Player

Was Yahaya traded to another team?
post #11 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 06:24
Rising Star

No, he played the entire 2nd half against Crvena Zvezda.
post #12 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 07:40 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Yeah, Slawek is right - Yahaya wasn't sold.

But he isn't rated high in Legia now. That's why I think Kucharski and Svitlica will be first starters and Czereszewski first substitute.

Yahaya had a very unsuccessful previous round and was strongly criticized by fans. In January he was late from his holiday in Spain, then he was ill and so on...

It's a shame that he's permanently unable to show his outstanding skills. Perhaps one of the main reasons is that his wife and child live in Spain while he plays football in Poland. That's very unusual situation
post #13 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 18:11
Rising Star

Legia beats Shahktor...

Legia wins 2-0

Goals came from Svitlica and Kucharski

Here is the full article:

http://legia.aspin.pl/news.asp?NewsID=3564
post #14 of 494 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2002, 22:13 Thread Starter
Premier Player

A surprisingly good result

It's a pity we don't know Shakhtar's line-up...

But we know that Legia still played without Zielinski, Karwan and Wroblewski.

It seems that Okuka and Kubicki are on right way

Btw. Wisla lost to Venezia 1:5 today Smuda played much of a reserve team, but it' s still strange
post #15 of 494 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2002, 09:27 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Okuka says he's very happy with the result vs. Shakhtar and he claims it's been best Legia's performance this winter.

It seems that Piekarski is going to be only a substitute. No wonder as instead of training he preferred travelling to China Central midfielders will be probably Murawski (defensive), Majewski and Vukovic.
post #16 of 494 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2002, 15:45
Rising Star

Well..... our performances in Cyprus were not too convincing... I have to agree that this was a confidence builder against a side which has achieved a measure of European success. Apart from Karwan, Zielinski, and Radek Wroblewski, Marjan Gerasimovski hasn't been featured as often, neither has Radostin Stanew, injuries are taking their toll. So what do you think Prewitt, Wojtek Kowalewski or Stanew? Kowalewski didn't have the greatest tournament in Cyprus, but neither did Stanew. Kowalewski will probably be starter for now, but once Stanew is healed, who knows..

Piekarski is a very skilled player....However, I don't think that a lot of people thought that Vukovic was going to turn out so well... I had some doubts at first, but he's turning into a fine midfielder..
post #17 of 494 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2002, 23:08 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Well, I want to see Stanew in action. A few months ago I thought that Kowalewski wasn't the right man for Legia. He made some terrible blunders while being loaned to Groclin I haven't expected much from him, although I've always preferred Kowalewski to Robakiewicz. Now I think he has improved a little bit, gained more confidence and experience and probably deserves to be no.1... He will be at the beginning of the round, that's for sure. Stanew is still a mystery.

Vukovic put Piekarski in the shade. This young Yugoslav sets his heart on working in midfield and he's very ambitious. Piekarski's talent used to be amazing, but you won't make a big career unless you can work really hard. I doubt more and more if he is capable of it.

The problem with Vukovic is that he's only loaned from Partizan I hope he will stay in Legia after the season.
post #18 of 494 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2002, 22:02 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Legia managed to draw vs. Austrian team GAK 1:1 yesterday.

Scorers were Magiera for Legia and Jones Kusi-Asare for GAK.

Jacek Zielinski played 90 minutes. He's back He means a lot for Legia's defence. Actually defence has been main problem this season. Zielinski was injured, Lapinski (he used to be great talent of Polish soccer ) has been unable to play since few years, Siadaczka (also former NT player) has been suffering from diabetes and Wojtala left Legia (nobody cares about him though ).

I hope with Zielinski's come back and Omeljanchuk's recent improvement things will change a little bit
post #19 of 494 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2002, 03:28
Rising Star

Not a bad result... who is next Esbjeorg or some team from Denmark isn't it? Zielinski wasn't getting on with Drago to well either...hope that row is mended Omieljanczuk is a player I admire.. he's only 21, but I like his approach... sometimes though...well, he collects those yellows rather easily I really want to see Stanew though.... goalkeeping is another area that I am concerned with at times....
post #20 of 494 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2002, 12:31 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Yes, Esbjoerg, on Tuesday... I've never heard of such team

Zielinski critisized Okuka's tactics (3-5-2) and claimed there was some disorder in Legia's midfield. He probably was right, but his time as a coach will come in a few years time, for the moment he should concentrate on playing

Omeljanczuk still needs time, but he's young, versatile and hard-working player. True, he collects yellow cards, but that's some kind of occupational hazard I think he's going to play as a left back as Zielinski's position as a central back is rather unquestionable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in