Polonia W and GKS Katowice merging? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2012, 18:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Polonia W and GKS Katowice merging?

Can anyone tell me, what happened with Polonia Warszawa and GKS Katowice?

Is it true, they both disappeared and a new club is formed who's going to play in Hutnik Krakow's stadium in Ekstrakalasa?

Anyone can explain a bit what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2012, 18:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

After some googling found a realistic summary so far I think --> http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1149-...psets-the-fans

This must be very sad news for Polonia fans, I don't think they'll visit Legia instead...
Also GKS fans don't seem to be happy.

Then my question is, this Austrian company (Red Bull?), what is their goal? Can't imagine they'll attract fans if they're going to play in Krakow where Wisla and Cracovia are already based. In Warsaw Polonia fans won't visit them while other fans visit other clubs already, same goes for Katowice and that area...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2012, 12:33
Premier Player

In a short form...

1. Józef Wojciechowski bought Groclin Dyskobolia Grodzisk Wielkopolski's top division's license and merged them with Polonia Warszawa, which was playing in the second division then. Of course his main plan was the CL Group Stage, but unfortunately for him and for Polonia's fans, he completely had no idea of football club functioning.

So despite he made some interesting transfers, put a lot of money on the team, he was always surrounded by the people, who wanted use his ignorance and simply took the money from him for "good advices" - I mean managers, footballers, coaches and especially his "friends" in the club board and director of sports position. And he was really open on such "good advices", he was changing the coaches and plan of club's development many, many times. I must say some of Wojciechowski's controversial ideas will go down in the Polish football history, just like the Kokos's club.

I'd say if not his stupid idea to selling Sobiech, Mierzejewski and Smolarek a year ago, then Polonia would probably meet his expectations in the last season, however he sold out the whole offensive power and expected the better result in upcoming season, don't know why. Anyway he decided to sell the team after another lost season. Generally Polonia is after all much niche club in Warsaw, they have rather poor average attendance and they are much hidden in the Legia's shadows, so I don't see there the potential of making the bigger football, contrary to Wroclaw, Gdansk, Szczecin, Poznan, Krakow or even Bialystok.

2. Wojciechowski was searching the buyer, however there was no proposal of buying Polonia, there were rather an interest in the Polonia's license on playing in the top division, gaining their squad potential. That's why Ireneusz Krol (another total football dumb) decided to take advantage of his offer and merge the team from Warsaw with his GKS Katowice, where is in 52% his ownership.

You should know that GKS Katowice is a team, which declared a bankruptcy in 2005 and started on new their history from the Polish 5th Division, managed by the...GKS fans society. And thanks to the association of fans GKS team managed to came back to the Polish 1st Division, as far as I remember it was also the moment when the fans give the city authorities the rights of managing the team provided that they won't be making any serious moves without the consultation with fans.

So you can imagine how furious were the fans after they heard that their "child" will be liquidated and replaced by absolutely factitious outgrowth called KP Katowice, based on...Groclin Dyskobolia's / Polonia license Of course KP Katowice was a temporary name and Krol wanted to change it on KP GieKSa Katowice, but it still has nothing to do with sport rivalry. Especially that even Polonia / Dyskobolia merger was absolutely ridiculed in Poland, most part of fans in Poland was calling Polonia's team a "Dysko-Polo", referring to name of this style of music:

...the pack of most legendary hits, I recommend that of course

So they wanted to make a merger, based on...another merger - there was impossible that bigger group of people in any part of Poland will accept it. The biggest Polish tabloid come up with a great name instead of KP Katowice, that's "Nowo-Twór" - "Nowo" means "new", "Twór" means "creature" and the word "nowotwór" means "neoplasm", such a perfect wordplay for this case

There was also a nice image of this situation, which was refering to the biggest Polish cycling race:

3. Back to topic...exactly thanks to the city authorities they found a club sponsor, that's the Trust Trading corporation, managed by mentioned by me Ireneusz Krol. So because of the last absolutely unsuccessful season for GKS, Krol decided to accept Wojciechowski's proposal, making not only GieKSa fans furious, but also a lot of people from Polish sport, politicians etc.

Also Krol was absolutely furious on GieKSa fans, he said "I don't need those bandits, I care much for the fans, but those who come with their families to the stadium, who will drink a Low-interest beer, have fun and will support the team and its players." and when the journalist asked him whether we should call the team a "Gieksa-Dysko-Polo", he answered "May it be gieksadyskopolo. We will combine everything. We'll play the discopolo music, we will grill, we will take picnics and have fun, not a brawl in the stadium."

As you see, Krol is a total dumb and he totally don't know the football stadium specificity. It was also the keynote of the GKS fans last happening, in front of Krol's house:

4. Anyway, summing up my story - Krol has finally scared the whole witch-hunt on him and he decided to get rid of his possession of GKS Katowice and...stay with Polonia in Warsaw! No it's a problem for GKS, because Krol got the club's stock for free (giving own money on club's functioning) and now he can sell it for several milions PLN. If he's vindictive, there's a possibility he will...declare bankruptcy of GKS and they will again must start the club history from the lower leagues. At this moment Krol said he gives them a month on find the new GKS owner.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2012, 14:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Thanks for posting, very interesting!

In my country the Netherlands we only know Polonia a bit because of Theo Bos coached there for a while. After he was fired he did some interviews in the Netherlands talking about the owner telling he's a complete fool.

The fans of GKS are really screwed, bringing their club back from 5th division and then something like this happens...

Wonder how this will continue, if I do understand it well, the merger won't go on and for now Polonia and GKS will stay different clubs on their own? I guess a bankruptcy for GKS would be better for the fans instead of merging with Polonia and seeing their club disappear.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2012, 14:19
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
Thanks for posting, very interesting!

In my country the Netherlands we only know Polonia a bit because of Theo Bos coached there for a while. After he was fired he did some interviews in the Netherlands talking about the owner telling he's a complete fool.
Well...Theo Bos was exactly among the pepole, who took the advantage of JW football ignorance, as far as I remember he decided of buying two really average footballers from Rad Belgrad for quite big amount of money, both footballers had also really nice wages and both had the same manager - apparently Theo's friend. And let's say, I know that it isn't normal situation that coach is sacked after five matches, but Bos's team played probably the worst football of this team, when we're talking about the last four or five years.

Quote:
The fans of GKS are really screwed, bringing their club back from 5th division and then something like this happens...
At least they led to avoiding this merger and their club will stay in the second division. Of course it's question whether they manage to get the financial stability now, but the city authorities have been supporting really much GKS, so there's a hope they find someone, who help the team in ad hoc way. Especially that the city will be financing the new stadium of GKS, so they surely want to keep the team at least on current level:

Quote:
Wonder how this will continue, if I do understand it well, the merger won't go on and for now Polonia and GKS will stay different clubs on their own?
Yea, Ireneusz Krol will be the Polonia Warszawa chairman and GKS will stay in second division, but without mentioned by me Krol, who want to sell own rights to the club from Katowice and focus only on Polonia.

I must say that first moves of Krol in Polonia were really reasonable, first thing which he made was the meeting with Polonia's fans and he gave two places in a club board for fans representatives. Then he hired in managerial positions the people connected with Polonia from many many years, mostly young people, who worked with young footballers - the recent chairman of Polonia's football academy became the Director of Sports there and their new coach is a man, who was working with Polonia's U-21 team some time ago.

Apparently he's aware of the fact, that Polonia will be fighting for avoiding a relegation in next season - they lost more than several key footballers in current window and Krol said the team core will be based especially on the alumnus of the club and several experienced footballers, who played there in the last season. It's exactly the best way of developing such team like Polonia is. Additionally they immediately organized the two training camps, so there's a hope they will catch up the lacks of trainings from last two months. Not bad from Krol, cosidering he made everything in two, three days.

Btw, Sorry for my really chaotic style of the last post, but I wrote it really fast and it's much more extensive topic than I described it :smileani:

Quote:
I guess a bankruptcy for GKS would be better for the fans instead of merging with Polonia and seeing their club disappear.
Of course yes, but it's also one thing, about which I didn't say. I mean the fact which appeared several days ago - the UEFA forbade the mergers in 2008 or 2009, so Krol simply didn't have a choice, especially after this witch-hunt in Poland. Or rather differently, there's a possibility to make a merger, but you must get a special permission from UEFA and it's possible only in some special cases, so there was no chance they let the KP Katowice to play in Ekstraklasa's next season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in