Euro 2008: Poland v Germany 08/06 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 10:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
Euro 2008: Poland v Germany 08/06

Although Polish forum is not the most active at Xtratime, we're playing in the EC for the first time in our history, so I believe we should have a seperate thread for each game. Especially since our first game is versus Germany, a nation that we love so much.

There were plenty of historical references in Polish media that went back to the battles of Cedynia (972) and Grunwald (1410). I don't think it's appropriate, but we have never won over the Germans in the football game, so I guess that's the only way to put hope in the hearts of Polish supporters that we can be victorious on Sunday.

I posted a a link to a nice video in the Euro 2008 thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjTJRYMNuCM) which I think better illustrates the situation. We cannot match the football potential of the German team, but if we show great ambition, passion and never-give-up attitude we may get a good result from this game.

It looks like we will start with: Boruc - Wasilewski, Bak, Zewlakow, Wawrzyniak - Lobodzinski, Lewandowski, Dudka, Krzynowek - Zurawski, Smolarek (4-4-2 or 4-5-1), but I wouldn't take this for granted as Leo is a man of surprises.

Do boju Polsko!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 14:53
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
There were plenty of historical references in Polish media that went back to the battles of Cedynia (972) and Grunwald (1410). I don't think it's appropriate, but we have never won over the Germans in the football game, so I guess that's the only way to put hope in the hearts of Polish supporters that we can be victorious on Sunday.
You probably saw this coming, but I think this is useless posturing. It's not even logical, if I beat you at chess today does it mean I can beat you at fencing tomorrow?

Anyway, I think you just have to approach this game another chance to finally defeat the evil ogre. Probability dictates it has to happen sooner or later, and what's helpful is a fresh perspective, not a recount of historic matches. While this is our big break, it's hardly Germany's finest hour (they haven't won anything for over a decade for christ's sake), so I really don't see what we have to be so afraid of (I think Leo feels the same way p ).

And other teams that don't have this inferiority complex have humiliated the Germans convincingly (Croatia in 98, Portugal in 2000 etc).

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2008, 15:12
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Hi again!
Well currently Im at school and gona miss the first match of the tourny I guess.
But up until now I was so calm and cool. Now just less than 2 hours before the EURO 2008 starts I'm a nervous wreck. LOL Itl all go away I think. Until Sunday LOL!
I'll be back later to talk...just dont know wat to say now
Polska Do Boju!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 10:38
Rising Star

Leo:

"We will have our usual preparation, like we did for the qualifying matches. We won't be doing different things just because we are at the EUROs now, and it's not like we will walk around the park naked or something. We have our normal programme – and then we will go [singing] tra-la-la to the stadium. We will play 'tra-la-la' but I don't know if we will be still 'tra-la-la' after the game."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PCNAGSryHKo
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 15:41
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla
Our squad for this game:
Boruc - Golański, Żewłakow, Bąk, Wasilewski - Dudka, Lewandowski - Krzynówek, Łobodziński - Żurawski - Smolarek

I think that this is the strongest that we have at the moment except injured Blaszczykowski.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 21:41
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Good thing we didn't come to win this tournament

I don't know why we always play so crap in the opening game. It must be symptomatic of something. The defense was a shambles, that hurt us the most. Even so, we could have turned it around, because we had decent pressure on them at times, but we sorely lack talent. There would be situations where a player would get into a good position (for a cross, say), and then completely waste it. I don't know if they were just nervous or if we're really this bad, but it wouldn't take much to equalize and play for a win. Instead, we try hail mary's from all over the place, most of which get blocked. And our best player is isolated up front all night, not a brilliant tactical game exactly.

Germany was playing kinda crap, we had the chance to take them. They were also wasteful, but we never made them regret it.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:22
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
I was surprised with the fact that the Germans allowed us so much. Both goals were to be avoided. The first one was probably offside and the second one an infantile mistake...

Still, they had far more clear chances than we did and undoubtedly deserved to win.

Good thing now is that we have this game behind and not in front of us

My rates (1-6):

Boruc - 4
Overall safe, had one world class stop, but couldn't do anything to prevent the goals.

Golanski - 2
It's not only that he's to blame for the 2nd goal, what made me really upset was his inability to cooperate with Krzynowek in the 1st half.

Bak - 2
Did his best probably, but his presence in our defence is an obvious sign of problems we have with defenders.

Zewlakow - 3
Slightly more convincing than Bak.

Wasilewski - 3
Inefficient, but at least tried to contribute in our attacking moves.

Krzynowek - 1
It's not the first time he fails completely in a game like that. As soon as he missed that opening chance, I remembered Korea game and what he did then. Awful dribbling, disastrous crosses. It can't get any worse.

Dudka - 2
A very poor game.

Lewandowski - 4
Worked hard, tried long shots. A decent game.

Lobodzinski - 3
Started very well, but the later, the worse.

Zurawski - 3
Nothing special, unfortunately.

Smolarek - 3
As above, unfortunately.

subs:
Roger 4 - Probably our best player tonight.
Piszczek 3 - OK.
Saganowski 3 - OK.

Too bad Leo did not start with Wawrzyniak. Golanski played only one game as left defender in our NT so far and a situation like that shouldn't happen in Euro Championships. The subs were OK. Leo took risk, at least we tried to play football. A better game than we had against Germany 2 years ago, but sh*tty result again

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:26
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewitt View Post
Good thing now is that we have this game behind and not in front of us
What a ridiculous thing to say, how could it possibly have been worse?

And yes, magnificent improvement from 2 years ago when all we did was defend. Alas still no end product...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Well you tried hard, but the quality wasnt there. Still chances for qualification though.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:38
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla
The main games are with Austria and Croatia and I think we have chance. We were worst than Germany but in my opinion goal scored by Smolarek was ok (no offside). In defence we play just terrible, it was hard to watch. In offence we have something situations, one 100% by Zurawski miss. In left side we must play by player who play left leg. Very pitty that Blaszczykowski is injure becous Lobodzinski play good only about 30 minutes. Krzynowek is out of form.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:43
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybor View Post
The main games are with Austria and Croatia and I think we have chance. We were worst than Germany but in my opinion goal scored by Smolarek was ok (no offside). In defence we play just terrible, it was hard to watch. In offence we have something situations, one 100% by Zurawski miss. In left side we must play by player who play left leg. Very pitty that Blaszczykowski is injure becous Lobodzinski play good only about 30 minutes. Krzynowek is out of form.
When is the last time, since he left Leverkusen, that he's been in form for the national team?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 22:43
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by numerodix View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say, how could it possibly have been worse?
If we lost the opening game against no matter who (as always) and then faced Germany, it could've been worse. This time the opening game (lost as always) was against Germany, so we potentially saved 3 points

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 23:35
Rising Star

There's a hint for betting folk: Poland always loses the opening game 0-2.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2008, 23:36
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
yaya lets look forward....i knew there was too my hype. leave it for the pitch.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2008, 06:09
Forum Manager
Premier Player

Teams: Schalke, Serbia
Shitty start to the campaign, better luck next time. I was cheering for you guys today, but let's face it ... the Germans are a bit stronger, and Podolski is a shame to Poland. He should consider changing his name to Hans Kraut.

S R B
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2008, 10:27 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
Kubica claimed his maiden victory!

Oh, this is a match thread... Ok then, let me just say I was happy to see our team had its moments. We tried to play football and that's a great difference between the current Polish side and the one that faced Germany in WC 2006. Of course not everything went right, otherwise the result would have been different. I was disappointed with our childlish defensive mistakes and the performance of the experienced trio: Krzynowek - Zurawski - Smolarek (espcially Krzynowek).

I don't understand all the moaning in the Polish media - they seem to be very surprised we lost to a much stronger team. How typical... :rollani:

Ratings (1-6):
Boruc 4 - Wasilewski 3, Bak 3, Zewlakow 3, Golanski 2 - Lobodzinski 3, Dudka 3, Lewandowski 4, Krzynowek 1 - Zurawski 2, Smolarek 2.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2008, 18:53
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

The Croats just beat them pretty convincingly.

I told you there's no reason to fear the Germans, they stink. If only we weren't so ridiculous in defense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in