UEFA European U-19 Championship - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2006, 20:51 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
UEFA European U-19 Championship

From 18th to 29th July 2006 in Wielkopolska. It's time for Poland to win a trophy in football

Poland is in Group A with Austria, Belgium and Czech Republic (typical hosts' luck ), while Portugal, Scotland, Spain and Turkey form a much tougher Group B. Most of the games will be shown on Eurosport.

The full squad will be revealed just before the tournament. If our key players are fit, we should advance to semi-finals and then everything can happen. Poland will depend on four Lech Poznan youngsters (Filip Burkhardt, Arkadiusz Czarnecki, Artur Marciniak and Krzysztof Strugarek) plus:
Tomasz Cywka (Wigan Atheltic)
Jaroslaw Fojut (Bolton Wanderers)
Dawid Janczyk (Legia Warsaw)
Kamil Oziemczuk (AJ Auxerre)

Bukowiec, Korzym and Siedlarz are the other well-known names in this team, but they will miss the tournament for various reasons.

Thoughts? Can we repeat the success from 2001 when we were crowned European Champions in this age category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2006, 23:00
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Our squad looks decent but I have no idea how strong other teams are.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fojut, Cywka and Oziemczuk in particular - are they really so good?...

Kicker, what about Marciniak? Does he play as a defender for NT, same as for Lech last season?...

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2006, 12:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewitt
Kicker, what about Marciniak? Does he play as a defender for NT, same as for Lech last season?...
He plays as a right defender, central or right midfielder, depending on needs. I think Artur deserves your special attention. He had more good games for us than eg. Blaszczykowski for Wisla last spring. He's definitely the hottest prospect we've had in the past few years.

Saying that we have good chances of winning the championship would be an overestimation of the true value of Poland's team. In October 2005 there was a friendly tournament in this age category held in Wielkopolska. I was at the game between Poland "A" and England (who didn't manage to win their qualifying group), which we lost 0:2. We were completely outplayed by the visitors. Also Czech Republic easily defeated Michal Globisz's eleven. It's not a good prognostic, but I think we've improved since last year. I would be disappointed if we're not through to the semis.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2006, 22:08
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
He plays as a right defender, central or right midfielder, depending on needs.
You mentioned that name last year, didn't you? I followed him playing for Lech in OE and got impression that he shouldn't be a defender. A hot prospect for a class defensive / side midfielder in my opinion. You know him better though.

Hope he'll prove his talent soon

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 16:46 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
You mentioned that name last year, didn't you?
Yes I did. I'm glad you pay attention to what I write

Quote:
I followed him playing for Lech in OE and got impression that he shouldn't be a defender. A hot prospect for a class defensive / side midfielder in my opinion.
You're totally right. Originaly he was a central midfielder, not a natural playmaker maybe, but with outstanding passing skills, technique and vision. He can play in virtuallly every position across the midfield, but our last coach Czeslaw Michniewicz recognized, not without reason I admit, that Artur is too tiny to send him where the biggest battle on the pitch takes place. Smuda is more brave and it seems he will use Artur in the midfield.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2006, 14:07 Thread Starter
Premier Player

OK, here are our Eagles:

Goalkeepers
1. Przemyslaw Tyton (Gornik Leczna)
12. Jakub Hladowczak (Sandecja Nowy Sacz)

Defenders
2. Artur Marciniak (Lech Poznan)
3. Jarosław Fojut (Bolton Wanderers)
4. Krzysztof Krol (Groclin Dyskobolia Grodzisk Wlkp.)
5. Krzysztof Strugarek (Lech Poznan)
6. Arkadiusz Czarnecki (Lech Poznan)
13. Lukasz Nadolski (Cartusia Kartuzy)
16. Pawel Krol (Kolporter Korona Kielce)

Midfielders
7. Tomasz Cywka (Wigan Athletic)
8. Kamil Oziemczuk (AJ Auxerre)
9. Andrew Konopelsky (Northeastern University)
10. Fillip Burkhardt (Lech Poznan)
14. Mariusz Sacha (Podbeskidzie Bielsko Biala)
17. Jakub Tosik (BOT GKS Belchatow)

Strikers
11. Dawid Janczyk (Legia Warszawa)
18. Kamil Stachyra (Gornik Leczna)

Good luck!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2006, 21:07
Rookie

wow....we suck
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2006, 21:26
Rising Star

Poland shouldt play in any tournaments because we only embarass ourselves in front of Europe/world. Stop playing in tournaments please . We are shite thats all, polish football has no hope. Listkiewicz out out!

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2006, 21:55
Rookie

Maybe we should make volleyball our national sport, now we have strong team, two success at the beginning of WL.
Polish football should be built from bases, in this time we pay attention on volleyball.
I'm interested what Beenhakker think about our young talents.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2006, 22:11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wislaczka
Maybe we should make volleyball our national sport, now we have strong team, two success at the beginning of WL.
Polish football should be built from bases, in this time we pay attention on volleyball.
Yeah, too bad volleyball is gay...
On a more serious note, a country our side should be able to excell in numerous sports, our leadership and populace just aren't up to the task I'm afraid.

I think the expectations for this crop of players was unrealistically high though. The team basically consists of a bunch of EK "stars" (which, of coarse, means F*ck all) like Janczyk, Burkhardt et al. and some players who play abroad in the reserves of midtable sides in England/France. That, unfortunately, is nothing special if you look at it objectively.

Last edited by Lexmark; July 18th, 2006 at 22:20.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2006, 22:57
Premier Player

Come on guys, don't be so harsh

Polish youth can win EC (only 5 years ago!) or humiliate themselves (e.g. Toulon tournament 3 or 4 years ago), but actually both results are equally meaningless - hardly any member of U-19 NT makes it to the senior NT, regardless of the results they achieve as junior players. Polish football sucks because it's corrupted, it lacks money, facilities and educated coaches and not because Globisz and his boys lost to Austria tonight.

Austria was better in every aspect, they have much more technically advanced and more mature bunch of players. The slowest player in their team was faster than the fastest in our NT. We tried long balls all the time, which means this team simply doesn't have skill. We should forget about medals and think about individuals - can any of these players give us hope?

I must say I'm impressed with Cywka. This guy needs more experience and he should be a quality midfielder. The same refers to Marciniak, although it was his silly turnover that led to the only goal on the night.

On the other hand, Oziemczuk and Janczyk were both useless. I haven't seen Janczyk in action since that injury in March and I couldn't believe my eyes I hope it just wasn't his day.

Relax and thank God we aren't in the other group

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 15:00 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmark
I think the expectations for this crop of players was unrealistically high though. The team basically consists of a bunch of EK "stars" (which, of coarse, means F*ck all) like Janczyk, Burkhardt et al. and some players who play abroad in the reserves of midtable sides in England/France.
Look who the Austrian youngsters play for. I expected us to win on Tuesday, and, with a bit of luck, to defeat either Belgium or Czech Republic later. I don't think I desired too much. Of course I wasn't sure we're capable of advancing to the semis, but I thought we would at least play good football. And we didn't.

Ratings (1-5):

Tyton 4

Marciniak 3
Fojut 3+
Strugarek 3-
Krol 2+

Oziemczuk 2
Czarnecki 2+
Burkhardt 3
Cywka 3+
Konopelsky 3

Janczyk 2

Subs:
Sacha 4
Michalak 3
Stachyra no rating

Most depressing comment of the match: Michal Globisz. He said something like "I know this team. We played with one striker, because if I had chosen different tactics, we'd have lost more than 0:1".
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 19:06
Rookie

^^^

First off, the Austrian league is > then the Polish league. Furthermore, I wasn't just referring to Austria with that post but the other teams in the tournament (and the youth of some countries who didnt qualify for the tournament).
Finally, the fact that players play abroad in the reserves of England or France does not mean that they are any good. Lots of people play in the reserve leagues of those countries who end up never making it.

With regards to expectations, I was not specifically referring to you (living in POland wou probably have a better indication of what they are capable of), but many other Poles who used the fact that some players play well in the EK (a sub-standard league), and the fact that some play in the reserves of foreign teams as a proxy for a good side. I admit that I never really had an opportunity to watch the U-19's before Tuesday and felt dissapointed and angry at myself for being so gullable and believing the hype (and yes there was hype) that surrounded this side. I believed that we would make the semi's despite a) the team never having to go through qualifications and b) the relatively mediocre results the team achieved in friendlies....My mistake.

Anyways, time to watch the Belgium game, hopefully we will do better.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 19:08
Rookie

Quote:
Come on guys, don't be so harsh

Polish youth can win EC (only 5 years ago!) or humiliate themselves (e.g. Toulon tournament 3 or 4 years ago), but actually both results are equally meaningless - hardly any member of U-19 NT makes it to the senior NT, regardless of the results they achieve as junior players. Polish football sucks because it's corrupted, it lacks money, facilities and educated coaches and not because Globisz and his boys lost to Austria tonight.
You speak truth
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 19:11
Legend

Teams: Cementarnica 55 Skopje
matc hfor life for our U-19 ... Poland vs. Belgium. With play like against Austra it'll be idfficult. Janczyk was unproductive totally, the results of injury are still visible. The goal was also a mistake by Tyton. I wonder what were Beenhakker's conclusions

Cementarnica in Vtora Liga 2009/2010
Cementarnica - Miravci 2:0 (Kostadinovski 40'-pen. Naumcevski 43')
Belasica - Cementarnica 1:2 (Markov 24' - Donev 9'-og Trajkovski 47')
Cementarnica - 11 Oktomvri 2:1 (Jakovlevski 15' 77' - Kostadinovski 26'-og)
Cementarnica - Belasica 4:1 (Braga 23' 38' Ristovski 43' Kostadinovski 63' - Jurcevski 88')
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 21:00
Rookie

mmmmmmmm......Poland wins 4-1. A very good performance, light years ahead of tuesday. Sometimes it is a relief to be proven wrong and this is such a case .

P.S. I knew Boniek would not be the last Pole to score a hattrick against Belgium p
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 21:28 Thread Starter
Premier Player

We're not that bad, huh?

Much better performance than on Tuesday and I'm glad Janczyk got a hat-trick, because he's the only Legia player I rate p I'm even more happy for Marciniak, who has scored the first goal since he was moved to defense.

Ratings (1-5):

Tyton 3

Marciniak 4-
Fojut 4-
Strugarek 4
Krol 3+

Sacha 4
Cywka 3+
Czarnecki 3+
Burkhardt 3

Janczyk 5-
Oziemczuk 3

Subs:

Konopelsky 3
Stachyra no rating
Michalak no rating

There's an interesting situation in our group now. Four teams got 3 points and everything will be decided on Sunday. I think Globisz will field the same eleven and if we can perform like today once more, we'll be in the semi-finals.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 22:47
Rising Star

Are these on telly?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 22:53 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Yes, most of the games are shown on Eurosport.

TV schedule: http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/Und...Id=427727.html
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2006, 23:00
Rising Star

Teams: Poland
I didn't watch the second game, I was busy, someone of You have any highlights?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in