WCQ: Poland - Austria, Poland - Wales - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 01:31 Thread Starter
Rising Star

WCQ: Poland - Austria, Poland - Wales

GK's: Artur Boruc (1980, Celtic Glasgow, 8A), Wojciech Kowalewski (1977, Spartak Moskwa, 5A), Sebastian Przyrowski (1981, Groclin Grodzisk Wlkp., 2A)

Defenders: Marcin Baszczynski (1977, Wisła Kraków, 22A), Jacek Bak (1973, Al Rayan, 63A-2 gole), Tomasz Klos (1973, Wisła Kraków, 64A- 5 goli), Tomasz Rzasa (1973, ADO Den Haag, 30A-1 gol), Mariusz Jop (1978, FK Moskwa, 4A), Dariusz Dudka (1983, Wisła Kraków, 4A), Michal Zewlakow (1976, Anderlecht Bruksela, 47A-1 gol), Bartosz Bosacki (1975, FC Nuernberg, 6A).

Midfielders: Damian Gorawski (1979, FK Moskwa, 13A-1 gol), Kamil Kosowski (1977, FC Kaiserslautern, 35A-3 gole), Jacek Krzynówek (1976, Bayer Leverkusen, 51A-8 goli), Sebastian Mila (1982, Austria Wiedeń, 19A-3 gole), Arkadiusz Radomski (1977, Austria Wiedeń, 13A), Mariusz Lewandowski (1979, Szachtar Donieck, 20A), Radosław Sobolewski (1976, Wisła Kraków, 9A), Mirosław Szymkowiak (1976, Trabzonspor, 23A-3 gole), Euzebiusz Smolarek (1981, Borussia Dortmund, 5A).

Forwards: Maciej Zurawski (1976, Celtic Glasgow, 44A-13 goli), Tomasz Frankowski (1974, Wisła Kraków, 14A-9 goli), Andrzej Niedzielan (1979, NEC Nijmegen, 16A-5 goli), Grzegorz Rasiak (1979, Derby County, 20A-6 goli), Emmanuel Olisadebe (1978, Panathinaikos Ateny, 25A-11 goli).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 02:35
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
Since the match vs. Hungary two years ago Niedzielan hasn't played a single good game in the NT. That's why I'm happy Olisadebe has been recalled. He's much better than Niedzielan and I believe he will be a decent backup.

Hopefully Przyrowski won't be forced to enter any of the games
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 02:35
Premier Player

Add Brozek and Dudek, and we have our team for WC.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 03:36
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlinek
Add Brozek and Dudek, and we have our team for WC.
Yes, we can say so. Is this a good situation? I mean if each of us was asked to choose the team for Germany at the moment, we would be almost unanimous. This indicates there are no more than 25-30 players who are taken into consideration when selecting the national team. And where is the new generation? We got an answer to this question on Tuesday, watching Poland's U-21 defeat at the hands of Germany...
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 22:16
Premier Player

True, but our U-18 champs only produced Mila into our squad.

Other than Spain, Brazil, Portugal, noone has a longstanding youth tradition.

The key is always to have a mix.

For next Euro qualifiers, we still have Dudka, Boruc, Smolarek, Kosowski, Szymkowiak, Krzynowek, Oli, Zurawski, Rasiak, Brozek, Jop, Glowacki, Mila, Baszczynski, Lewandowski, Sobolewski. This does not take into account any up and comers. Countries which do not count techical skills as tops, need old and new. Hopefully we are on course for at least a decade of success.

The situation is way!!!! better than when we qualified for 2002 with a team full of old timers.

Last edited by Barlinek; August 20th, 2005 at 22:34.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 16:59
Rising Star

Krzynowek is injuried and may be unfit for these matches. Disaster.

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 17:09
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
These two games are crucial, let's not screw up now and ruin all the effort so far!

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2005, 01:35
International

Relax, it will be an easy win against Austria.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2005, 03:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgv325
Relax, it will be an easy win against Austria.
Huh? Against or for?
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 23:19
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Last year, despite some humiliating performances in friendlies, I was quite positive before WC qualifiers. This time it's the other way round. I really fear these games.

Klos is off form.
Bak is playing for a very weak club.
Rzasa's skills are rapidly deteriorating.
Kosowski is not playing at all.
Krzynowek is injured.
Frankowski seems to be dishearted after Pao games.
Our players will think it will be easy to beat Austria and Wales at home.

I put much hope on our attacking force. Thank God Zurawski had a brilliant game at last. Rasiak, Olisadebe can produce something out of nothing maybe...

But we can't field strikers only

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 10:15
DMF
Rising Star

I think this should be our starting line-up against Austria:

Boruc - Dudka, Bąk, Kłos, Baszczyński - Smolarek, Sobolewski, Szymkowiak, Kosowski - Olisadebe, Żurawski

Dudka is far better than Rząsa... I don't really know what Rząsa is doing in the NT.

As for olisadebe in the first 11... Frankowski played great in the past games, but he has no form at the time and Oli has got rid of his problems and is ready to show his top skills.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 10:41
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
I'm not so sure about Olisadebe, when is the last time he was even in the squad?

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 11:25
DMF
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by numerodix
I'm not so sure about Olisadebe, when is the last time he was even in the squad?
Last time? It was a long time ago...

Do you preffer Frankowski? After what he showed in Athens? He didn't look good in Odra - Wisła in the league as well...

One man we can put in to partner Żurawski is Rasiak... but Oli is simply better...

It's not that I don't like Frankowski, simply he is off form...
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 16:08
Rising Star

Teams: Poland, Lechia Gdansk
I'm not sure about Frankowski for these two matches also. He left the NT camp today to tool around Europeb looking for a job, is off form, and generally just doesn't inspire with confidence after the PAO game. Playing Olisadebe on the other hand may destroy the precious chemistry that Janas was able to develop over time. For those reasons I'd start Zurawski and Niedzielan for Austria and Zurawski and Rasiak against Wales, and keep Oli in a "joker" role.

It appears that these two games will be a test of the NT's character and a great indication of its abilities to weather challenges and difficulties. No Dudek, defense in shambles, no Krzynowek, off-form strikers...if Janas can prepare the team to withstand these challenges, and if the players respond, then we can look forward to a successful World Cup. If not, then, unfortunately, it will be "same sh!t, different day" for the next four years.

European Championships here we come!
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 21:34
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoga
I'm not sure about Frankowski for these two matches also. He left the NT camp today to tool around Europeb looking for a job, is off form, and generally just doesn't inspire with confidence after the PAO game. Playing Olisadebe on the other hand may destroy the precious chemistry that Janas was able to develop over time. For those reasons I'd start Zurawski and Niedzielan for Austria and Zurawski and Rasiak against Wales, and keep Oli in a "joker" role.

It appears that these two games will be a test of the NT's character and a great indication of its abilities to weather challenges and difficulties. No Dudek, defense in shambles, no Krzynowek, off-form strikers...if Janas can prepare the team to withstand these challenges, and if the players respond, then we can look forward to a successful World Cup. If not, then, unfortunately, it will be "same sh!t, different day" for the next four years.
I agree with you only regarding the defence.

However, Dudek has never really been our 'saving grace' either. Sure I would take him over Boruc becuase of experience, but Boruc isn't much of a step down (If any.)

The midfield is only missing Krzynowek. Sure he is one of our stars, but its not a tragedy.

I would even say that this may be our highest point in some time for the form of our strikers. rasiak finally showed something in Ukraine, Oli looks to finally be healthy and scoring, Zurawski looks to be on top, everyone was super high on Frankowski after the pana game in Poland, and Niedzielan is the same.
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 23:36
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Our defence sucks, no doubt about it. We must take advantage of having more quality in attack and midfield.

Boruc will start in goal, Kowalewski on the bench. If Boruc doesn't get overexcited, we can sleep well.

Baszczynski's position as a right back can hardly be challenged. Janas tried Zewlakow there, but with little effect. Baszczynski is far from his best form, but I'm sure he won't fail.

Central defence is a problem. Bak is certain to start, the most experienced player in our NT. He didn't look good in Lobanovsky tournament though, besides his league starts next month. Klos is likely to be his company, although his form is disastrous. Janas has a hard nut to crack there. Glowacki isn't called up, so alternatives are Jop or Lewandowski. Jop seems to be in a very good form, but I think Janas will play it safe and field Klos.

Left back position is Rzasa against Dudka. Janas must decide if he prefers Rzasa's experience or Dudka's courage. Rzasa is possibly the most prone to mistakes of all our defenders, but Dudka's stamina leaves much to be desired at the moment. No choice is really good, but I guess Rzasa will start.

Central midfield is pretty easy to form. Sobolewski is in a very good form, he must just watch out for yellow cards. Szymkowiak is the key player in our NT and we all rely on him.

Left midfield is a huge problem due to misfortunate Krzynowek's injury. It's a heavy blow. When we didn't know what to do with the ball, we could always pass it to Jacek. Now it's gonna be someone else. Two candidates there - Mila and Kosowski. I'd go for Kosowski, despite all the arguments against him. But it's possible that they'll play together, much depends on Janas' choice for right midfielder position.

Right midfielder and three players to choose from - abovementioned Kosowski, Smolarek and Gorawski. Not an easy decision. Smolarek doesn't look very convincing in the NT, but it's high time he show his quality.

Strikers - a headache for Janas. Zurawski is indispensable and Frankowski seems to be his natural partner. I think they'll start together, although Olisadebe is a very strong challenge. If he has heart for our NT after all, he may be extremely useful again. Rasiak deserves to enter the pitch too, so in both games we may expect a couple of substitutions.

It's possible, however, that Janas will produce a few surprises when announcing his starting eleven. It's also interesting if he decides to attack all the way or play kind of balanced football. Personally, I hope we can score a goal or two in the first halves of both games and then finish off the job with our deadly counter attacks in the second halves, but I think everybody would be perfectly content with 1:0 twice

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner

Last edited by Prewitt; August 31st, 2005 at 23:24.
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 16:45
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla Krakow, Barcelona
I would maybe put Zienciuk instead of Kosowski but what a shame he was not called up. Kosowski is really the only left sides player we have. The attack is where the choice lies and I think Niedzielan should start as he is currently on higher morale than Frankowski and scored in his last league game. Olisadebe plays a good joker role. He did it well for Panathinaikos when he came on so he could do it well for Poland when they need to bring someone on in say the 75th minute with some pace and good skill. I prefer Jop to Klos on current form but it could disrupt communication but I think he did well in Ukraine
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 18:06
International

Even if Poland aren't on top form at the moment i'd like to think that they'll still be good enough to beat both Austria and Wales. I saw Austria in their recent friendly match against Scotland and they looked very average, and most of the Welsh team play in the lower leagues in England. Although those who have been following Celtic's progress on Polish TV this season will know that Hartson is a very dangerous striker.

It's important that Janas gets the team playing to their potential before the England game next month, which is likely to be one of the most important matches in Poland's history, providing there are no unforeseen shock results in the next two qualifiers for either country.

Thankfully Sky Sports will be covering both of Poland's matches against Austria and Wales, so i'll be able to keep track of the progress of Boruc, Zurawski and the team in general.

Good luck. :thmbup:
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 18:41
Rising Star

Teams: Poland, Lechia Gdansk
This is the team that started and played the first half of a match against a fourth div German team today, which means that it more than likely be the squad that starts against Austria:

Boruc - Baszczyński, Kłos, Bąk, Rząsa - Smolarek, Sobolewski, Szymkowiak, Kosowski - Żurawski, Rasiak

So no surprises at all. Substitute absent Frankowski for Rasiak.

Poland won 4:1, with Zurawski and Kosowski scoring in the first half. The "reserves" came on in the second half and scored two goals with Kowalewski letting one in.

Thanks King_Henrik for the good luck wishes.

European Championships here we come!
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2005, 12:31
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla Krakow, Barcelona
I think calling the match vs England one of the most important ever is a little overdone. The chances are when we play that match we might already be guaranteed a World Cup place. It is still important and I hope Poland play offensive football because their defence is their weakest point. Strikers they have plenty to choose from. The midfield plays all around Europe and is classy. The defence though worries me. Not a single defender for is one I would always want in the team in every match. They are have their bad moments. Looking at the Austria sqaud I see most of the team apart from like 1 or 2 play in Austria so they do not have any players that really play abroad for good teams. In theory Poland have the better team. I think on paper Poland have the better team but the match is not played on paper right guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in