Eurocups thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 13:11 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Legia Warsaw & Poland
Eurocups thread

Wisla Krakow's another attempt at making it to the CL

Dyskobolia Grodzisk, Legia Warszawa and Wisla Plock in UEFA Cup. Let's keep our fingers crossed this season's campaign will be more successful than the last one.

The draw to be made tomorrow.

Xtratime Champions Cup 2004/05 winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 23:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Wisla Krakow will play one of these:

Liverpool / FBK Kowno
Manchester United
Inter
Panathinaikos
Celtic / FC Artmedia
Villarreal CF
Sporting Lisbona
AS Monaco
Ajax
Club Brugge
Anderlecht / Neftcı Baku
Rangers FC
Dynamo Kiev / FC Thun 1898
Werder Bremen
Łokomotiw Moskwa / Rabotnicki Skopje
Rosenborg Trondheim

Legia and Groclin will play one of these:

SV Pasching
FC Zurich
Matav FC Sopron (Hun)
Dukla Banska Bystrzyca
MSK Zilina
Nistru Otaci (Mda)
MTZ-RIPO Minsk
BATE Borysow (Blr)
FC Vaduz
Banac Erewan

And Wisla Plock one of these:

Austria Vienna
Grazer AK
Dnipro Dniepropietrowsk
Grasshopper Zurych
Zenit Sankt Petersburg
FK Teplice
FSV Mainz 05
Metałurh Donieck
Krylja Sowietow

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 11:17
Rising Star

Wisla will play with Panathinaikos!!!

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 11:21
Premier Player

Teams: Lech Poznan, Liverpool FC, Holland
It could have been worse... Good draw.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 13:29
Premier Player

Wisla Plock - Grasshopper Zurych
Dyskobolia Grodzisk - Dukla Banska Bystrzyca
Legia Warszawa - FC Zurich

Games to be played on 11th and 25th August.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 13:37
Rising Star

Teams: Poland, Lechia Gdansk
Good draw, not too easy, not too hard. Just interesting enough, and winable at the same time for all Polish teams.

European Championships here we come!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 14:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoga
Good draw, not too easy, not too hard. Just interesting enough, and winable at the same time for all Polish teams.
ps. hello Smoga!
I see You are a Lechia fan! Tomorrow Your team will play with JAGA and I'm going to Gdansk and You will be there??? See You at the stadium!
Wisla have a real chance to play in CL this year!!!
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 14:53 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Don't like this draw because Legia are in a very difficult situation now

They made some further subdivisions in UEFA just before the draw and Fc Zurich was by far the strongest team Legia could play with...

Wisla Krakow may have a chance. Pity they don't have a classy second striker after Zurawski's departure, and also you can't be too optimistic after their first league game this season, but PAO is no longer the team it used to be a couple seasons ago. They aren't Manchester United or Villareal either.

Dyskobolia are favourites to advance, but nobody can underestimate the Slovaks after what Artmedia did to Celtic.

Wisla Plock were quite lucky. In their group of five teams there were e.g. Austria Vienna and Russian teams. They wouldn't have a chance. Yet they were drawn to a team weaker than Fc Zurich (Grasshopper lost to them 2:4 recently), and despite the fact that they weren't seeded.

Good luck to all our teams!

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 18:36
Rising Star

If Wisla lose it will be a great disappointment. If they win everyone will say they were just lucky with the draw.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 23:02 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Huh maior, you're one of those people who always see the glass half empty, aren't you?

Theoretically speaking, PAO are much stronger than Wisla. Flavio, Biscan, Olisadebe, Gonzalez (out for Wisla games), possibly Nilsson - one must be impressed with these names in their squad. If Wisla want to make it to the CL this year, they must show some pure football quality. Not much to do with luck... All the fans in Poland will have to congatulate Wisla in the first place if they can advance.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 00:34
Rising Star

When it's empty, it's empty

Enough ontology. I'm just saying Wisla have no other choice than to win
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 00:42
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipson
ps. hello Smoga!
I see You are a Lechia fan! Tomorrow Your team will play with JAGA and I'm going to Gdansk and You will be there??? See You at the stadium!
Wisla have a real chance to play in CL this year!!!

Hi Gips

Unfortunately I don't live in Poland, and don't get there often at all (maybe once in 6-7 years :rollani: ) so I won't be at the game. But if you can write your impressions of the game, that would be great! Anyway, once Lechia get to first division I plan to be in Poland more often!

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 21:53
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoga
Hi Gips

Unfortunately I don't live in Poland, and don't get there often at all (maybe once in 6-7 years :rollani: ) so I won't be at the game. But if you can write your impressions of the game, that would be great! Anyway, once Lechia get to first division I plan to be in Poland more often!
The game was ok. only police was crazy and Lechia like Jaga have great fans. You played good game and Jaga played like shi! but 1-1 was fair result
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 21:56
Rising Star

What a great game by Wisla all team played superb!
Now Wisla have a real chance to play in CL 2005/06.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 21:57
Rising Star

Has anyone seen the Wisla - Panathinaikos game that just ended? Any impressions, reports, etc? Thanks!

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 22:37
Rising Star

Great match, total domination by Wisla, bad defending of a corner kick leaves PAO some chances. Refree ruled off-side (which is bs) when Franek was going one-on-one. Frankowski MVP but I' very impressed by Brozek, Blaszczykowski and even Dudka although he didn't mark Gekas in 4" minute. Cantoro commanding the center just like in the good ol days Klos and Majdan good as usual. Too many mistakes from Uche, Zienczuk and Sobolewski. New signings (Penksa, Paulista) didn't show anything special when they came of the bench but they also dind't dissapoint anyone
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 22:59 Thread Starter
Premier Player

A great result for Wisla, no doubt about it :thmbup:

Still it will be extremely difficult to defend this advantage in Athens. Wisla needs to score in two weeks' time, that's obvious.

Panathinaikos had better possession tonight and looked much more confident with the ball. It was art for itself for most of the time though. They played a very slow football. Wisla used the simplest ways to move forward and was much more dangerous. I liked when Wisla's wingers moved towards middle and sent penetrating balls to the strikers, that made Greek defence look confused.

A very physical game, both teams looked exhausted when the 90th minute was approaching

Frankowski MOM Solid game by other players, except for Glowacki and Dudka, who both failed to impress me. Brozek cooperated very well with Frankowski. His substitute, Penksa, is more useful with making the play but doesn't seem to have the killer instinct.

Congratulations to Wisla. Still the odds are 50:50 to me. Tonight's goal for PAO was out of nothing, just another poor marking at a set piece, but I'm sure the Greeks will produce a great number of scoring chances in the return leg Wisla can't set themselves entirely to defence, they need to try these deadly counter attacks that paid off tonight as often as possible.

post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 23:06
Premier Player

Wisla started indifferently. Poor marking in the penalty area let PAO score in the 4th minute from the corner. Wisla reacted well. A great through ball from Frankowski was picked up by Brozek who equalized with a clinical finish. From then on they settled down to play good football, puting pressure on PAO's defence. I wouldn't called it a total domination as maior did, but yes, the memories from the Schalke-Wisla and Wisla-Parma games came back. The visitors were somewhat helpless at times, constant pressure from the Polish players was something Oli & Co. hadn't answer to (although they tried the same early in the game).

Two very nice goals in the second half. Firstly another great individual effort from Frankowski and his pass brought a second goal scored by Uche. Then "the goal hunter" himself added third with an excellent header after Zienczuk's cross. Wisla was nervous in the last 15 minutes, but their win is well-deserved.

Blaszczykowski was the unsung hero for me. Fantastic performance as a right-back, Baszczynski wouldn't have done better. I can't believe we didn't sign him when he was on trial at Lech
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 23:18
Rising Star

Oh, cmon, PAO played worse than Groclin and I still stand by domination which doesn't mean I'm overconfident concerning the return leg.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 23:19
Rising Star

Great job with the match impressions guys, thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in