The first game of heavyweights of the tournament

Germany often have Portugal's number. Lets see what happens here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 06:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
I would love a repeat of Euro 2000; however, that's asking too much. I'd be content with a 1-0 victory or even a draw.

O GLORIOSO

post #3 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 09:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Germany are for me the clear favourites to win this Euro but they do have their weak points. If we manage to avoid some of the slapstick defending showed against Turkey in the last preparation match I think we have a chance of getting something out of this match, even if I think that the matches with Denmark and above all Holland will be the most decisive ones for us.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 09:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Definitely by far the easiest match in the group for Germany.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #5 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 10:06
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Doria, Ajax, Spurs
3-2 germany
post #6 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 10:33
Premier Player

Teams: Real Madrid C. de F.
Portugal are the most under-rated team going in to Euro 2012. They'll advance from this group, at the expense of either over-rated Germany or over-rated Netherlands.

Signature in 2007: Raúl, por el bien del Madrid, y por no tener a todo el Madridismo odiandote, por favor, vete ya

Signature in 2012: Torres, por el bien de España, y por no tener a todo el país odiandote, por favor, vete ya
post #7 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 10:47
Star Player

Teams: Dutch football
I expect Germany to win this one.

"Always look on the bright side of life"
post #8 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 11:27
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrv View Post
Portugal are the most under-rated team going in to Euro 2012. They'll advance from this group, at the expense of either over-rated Germany or over-rated Netherlands.
more likely the most overrated team in the euros, people think they are good becasue they got ronaldo, nani and couple of more talented players but they didnt have even one good game in the last 6 years.
post #9 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 12:32
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
more likely the most overrated team in the euros, people think they are good becasue they got ronaldo, nani and couple of more talented players but they didnt have even one good game in the last 6 years.
6 years ago, Portugal made it to the semis of the World Cup; 4 years ago, Portugal topped Group A at Euro 2008; 2 years ago, Portugal thrashed a team at the World Cup 7-0.

I understand better than most that this Portugal hasn't played up to as well as those previous sides, but it's completely false to say they haven't had one good game in the past 6 years.

O GLORIOSO

post #10 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 12:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Manchester United F.C.
Anything less than a 3-0 victory and I'll be disappointed, tbh.

███████████████
████ M.U.F.C. ████
███████████████

REPUBLIK ФF MAИCUИIA

post #11 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 12:40
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Glorioso View Post
6 years ago, Portugal made it to the semis of the World Cup; 4 years ago, Portugal topped Group A at Euro 2008; 2 years ago, Portugal thrashed a team at the World Cup 7-0.

I understand better than most that this Portugal hasn't played up to as well as those previous sides, but it's completely false to say they haven't had one good game in the past 6 years.
ok, so they did very well in 2006, thats why i said last 6 years,
but Im sorry, but you call a win over NORTH korea, a success?
when was the last time portugal showed a good game against TOP teams in europe? like germany, italy, spain and etc? thats right, before 6 years, in the wc.
since then portugal never did anything against a strong club, a tie against brazil in the wc group stage was their greatest achievement, a national team with such a great squad cant allways lose their big matches.. (germany 2008, spain 2010..)
i love portugal, and i got nothing against them, i also love nani and Cr7, but their not good enough to compete teams like germany or netherland.
i also remind you denmark from your group also won you on your most important match on the 1st place.

thats why i think they are overrated, if they prove me im wrong, i will be more than happy. strong portugal will make group B amazing.
post #12 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 12:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
ok, so they did very well in 2006, thats why i said last 6 years,
but Im sorry, but you call a win over NORTH korea, a success?
when was the last time portugal showed a good game against TOP teams in europe? like germany, italy, spain and etc? thats right, before 6 years, in the wc.
since then portugal never did anything against a strong club, a tie against brazil in the wc group stage was their greatest achievement, a national team with such a great squad cant allways lose their big matches.. (germany 2008, spain 2010..)
i love portugal, and i got nothing against them, i also love nani and Cr7, but their not good enough to compete teams like germany or netherland.
i also remind you denmark from your group also won you on your most important match on the 1st place.

thats why i think they are overrated, if they prove me im wrong, i will be more than happy. strong portugal will make group B amazing.
You said that they "haven't had one good game in the past 6 years"; I responded to you with examples and yes, a 7-0 against any team at the World Cup is a good win, but you weren't judging based upon the quality of the opponent; all you said was they hadn't played a good game in 6 years.

So I suppose now we're not counting 2006; so at Euro 2008, Portugal topped their group beating both Turkey (2-0) and the Czech Republic (3-1). I believe those are 2 very good results against solid teams at the time, Turkey made the semis that year. In 2010, you're correct that we didn't perform that well in comparison to previous years, citing our draw against Brazil as the best result we've had lately is laughable and shows how very little you know about the national team. Even so, I thought it was a poor result given that we were very well capable of beating them if not for the negative tactics of Queiroz.

Furthermore, we were knocked out by Spain but came back a few months later each with full squads and blanketed them 4-0. However, I guess we're not allowed to rate friendlies either. In order to qualify for the tournament, we faced a very good Bosnian side and won 6-2. So they've had good results, that's my point here.

Also no one is rating them too highly here or anywhere, so if you say they're overrated then damn boy, you must be rating them at the level of Estonia or something.

O GLORIOSO

post #13 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 13:07
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Glorioso View Post
You said that they "haven't had one good game in the past 6 years"; I responded to you with examples and yes, a 7-0 against any team at the World Cup is a good win, but you weren't judging based upon the quality of the opponent; all you said was they hadn't played a good game in 6 years.

So I suppose now we're not counting 2006; so at Euro 2008, Portugal topped their group beating both Turkey (2-0) and the Czech Republic (3-1). I believe those are 2 very good results against solid teams at the time, Turkey made the semis that year. In 2010, you're correct that we didn't perform that well in comparison to previous years, citing our draw against Brazil as the best result we've had lately is laughable and shows how very little you know about the national team. Even so, I thought it was a poor result given that we were very well capable of beating them if not for the negative tactics of Queiroz.

Furthermore, we were knocked out by Spain but came back a few months later each with full squads and blanketed them 4-0. However, I guess we're not allowed to rate friendlies either. In order to qualify for the tournament, we faced a very good Bosnian side and won 6-2. So they've had good results, that's my point here.

Also no one is rating them too highly here or anywhere, so if you say they're overrated then damn boy, you must be rating them at the level of Estonia or something.
im a bit "overdone" when i said they didnt have one good game, but you know what i meant, they didnt show a realy good football in the highest lvls, against the realy strong team, and also sometimes bored to death and lost to swiss and etc.
i just think theyre overrated when ppl think they can compete netherland and germany..
by the way, about the bosnian team, it was your best match in the last 10 years, i admit that, i saw that match because of a player of my team, who plays in the bosnian team - was perfect game by portugal.
post #14 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 13:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
im a bit "overdone"

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 13:43
nkm
Premier Player

Portugal can't beat Germany, they have only 2 or 3 good players but the rest of the team is mediocre at best. Denmark will be a bigger threat than this 2 men show Portugal team.
post #16 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 13:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkm View Post
Portugal can't beat Germany, they have only 2 or 3 good players but the rest of the team is mediocre at best. Denmark will be a bigger threat than this 2 men show Portugal team.
Aren't you the same person that predicted Schalke would crush Athletic Bilbao because they were so much superior to them?

I hope you keep spreading your football knowledge on these boards.

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 15:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

5-0 Portugal.

Helder Postiga x 3, Hugo Almeida x 2.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #18 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 16:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
At least you got it right that Ronaldo will choke as usual.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #19 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 16:09
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
5-0 Portugal.

Helder Postiga x 3, Hugo Almeida x 2.
These players are still knocking around.

It's crazy that a footballing nation like Portugal can't displace these sort of players from their squad after all these years.

Cue Almeida to actually score 2 now
post #20 of 261 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 16:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
These players are still knocking around.

It's crazy that a footballing nation like Portugal can't displace these sort of players from their squad after all these years.

Cue Almeida to actually score 2 now
There's a better striker in the squad than both of them. 20 year old Nelson Oliveira, who led the U-20s to the U-20 World Cup final last year and gets better and better. Unfortunately, he is deemed as too inexperienced to start in these games yet, which makes me question why he's even in the squad then.

As for a nation like Portugal not producing better, that's a bit harsh I suppose. This is still a country of 9 million people, far smaller than every other European giant, and yet we produce world class players at many positions. Striker is obviously the pain point, no doubt about it, though.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in