Euro 2012, Group C (ESP, ITA, IRE, CRO) - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who will reach the Quarter Finals?
Spain 66 88.00%
Italy 53 70.67%
Republic of Ireland 7 9.33%
Croatia 19 25.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 213 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Euro 2012, Group C (ESP, ITA, IRE, CRO)

GROUP C

10 June 2012, 18:00, Arena Gdansk, Gdansk (POL)
SPAIN vs ITALY

10 June 2012, 20:45, Municipal Stadium Poznan, Poznan (POL)
REP. IRELAND vs CROATIA

14 June 2012, 18:00, Municipal Stadium Poznan, Poznan (POL)
ITALY vs CROATIA

14 June 2012, 20:45, Arena Gdansk, Gdansk (POL)
SPAIN vs REP. IRELAND

18 June 2012, 20:45, Arena Gdansk, Gdansk (POL)
CROATIA vs SPAIN

18 June 2012, 20:45, Municipal Stadium Poznan, Poznan (POL)
ITALY vs REP. IRELAND

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Spain, Italy

Heart says Croatia, but realistically those are the two favorites: BUT....the fixtures are interesting. If Croatia beat Ireland and Italy lose to Spain, that will put all the pressue on Italy in a match with Croatia, and Italy don't have a good history with Croatia

Not sure what to think of the Irish, they will be motivated as hell and defensively solid, but they seem to lack creativity to cause problems in this group
post #3 of 213 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 20:01
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Spain, Italy

Heart says Croatia, but realistically those are the two favorites: BUT....the fixtures are interesting. If Croatia beat Ireland and Italy lose to Spain, that will put all the pressue on Italy in a match with Croatia, and Italy don't have a good history with Croatia

Not sure what to think of the Irish, they will be motivated as hell and defensively solid, but they seem to lack creativity to cause problems in this group
They were defensively atrocious against Armenia at home and also against Russia. I think Croatia has more better players out there on the pitch so their chances would probably favor them at least offensively. Against Italy though, not sure what will happen. Perhaps Balotelli will be the one player on the pitch that won't be affected by the h2h

Spain and Italy for me.

post #4 of 213 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 23:12
Premier Player

Teams: Celtic, Man U, Ireland NT
Apart from Spain this is a good draw for Ireland. We've played Italy 3 times recently and beat them last year, drew the other two. We drew with Croatia last year. Spain is a very tough game but I think Spain will win the group and either Croatia or Ireland will come second.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

A true Irishman has so much respect for the truth that he uses it only in emergencies.

post #5 of 213 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 23:49
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Spain and Italy should go through even though as HajdukSplit mentioned a Spanish win against Italy in the first round combined with a Croatian victory over the Irish turns things spicy in the second round in the match Croatia - Italy.

I like the way Italy is playing with Prandelli, they restored their efficiency and apparently they have managed to recover from the 2010 fiasco. But they like dramas and I am sure they will prepare one more this time
post #6 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 00:17
Xtratime Legend

Teams: some clubs. Italy&Oranje
Spain & Italy.

But Croatia could be the surprise team maybe.

20xx

SCHWARZ WEISS GRÜN

AAAAAALEEEEEEZ, AAAAAALEEEEEEZ!!!!!!
post #7 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:31
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Ya Croatia the surprise team here for 2nd if not 1st place.
Nice to see Ireland back though.
post #8 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:44
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Spain win, Croatia surprising italy.
post #9 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:10
Premier Player

Everyone is assuming that the best players make the best teams. Croatia are a very good team and Ireland have been very solid under Il Trap.

Italy have not shown any reason as to why they should get through here.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet.

A true Irishman has so much respect for the truth that he uses it only in emergencies.

post #10 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:44
World Class Player

Teams: HRVATSKA the U aka hurricanes
If Croatia can play like they played in Istanbul they can maybe even win the group..Thats a big if though.. I really don't know to much about the Irish but with Trap. as coach i know they will be organized defensively..Italy has some very good players like Rossi Cassano Derossi and the nut case Balotelli..Spain is well simply the best..They have to have an off day to have a chance to beat them..Im picking Spain and Italy with Italy squeezing through on goal differential..
BTW just an FYI Croatia has never lost to Italy and won't this time around either..

Volim te Hrvatskooooooooooo..............

Last edited by spidey; December 3rd, 2011 at 04:50.
post #11 of 213 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 15:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
I do agree with most of you here. Italy and Spain the strongest in this group and they`re favourite to pass it. but we see Croatia show its best as they did in last edition, however,it`s gonna be an interesting group and in all its matches. ya and nice to see Ireland come back too.
post #12 of 213 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 04:12
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Spain will ace the group...

Italy will not make it through, with Croatia beating them out.

Ireland is IMO the only team with 0 chance of progressing out of all 16 teams.
post #13 of 213 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 05:35
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
Spain will ace the group...

Italy will not make it through, with Croatia beating them out.

Ireland is IMO the only team with 0 chance of progressing out of all 16 teams.
I'm sure of a stale match between Croatia and Ireland with some kind of draw(like have these teams played much together before?)

If Croatia is 'supposed' to have good luck vs Italy, thennnn....only thing stopping Croatia from moving forward would be from a draw(even loss ) match to the Irish defence I'm predicting.
Croatia and Ireland just might share the same points in this group.
post #14 of 213 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 15:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
thats what I fear, Bilic will go the safe route and play for a draw against Ireland (which could very easily be a 0:1 loss) and then its a must-win against Italy in reality.

This group reminds me very much of the Croatia Euro 2004 group where Croatia got the "weakest" team in the opening match (Switzerland) and got only a point and then the point in the next match (France) didn't mean as much as it should have because England was last. If they had beaten the Swiss then at least they could have gone through with a draw against England

Once again, I am happy with the group, being in Pot 3 you can't expect miracles (well Group A is one ) but I worry our fans are getting too giddy because of past results over Italy and over looking a motivated Irish squad which will be a tough opener. Though, I would have taken Italy from Pot 2 over England & Germany to be fair.

This group could very easily be: Spain 9, Italy/Croatia/Ireland 2
*My biggest worry is Spain-Italy play to a draw or Italy manages to win, that will throw a monkey wrench to both Ireland and Croatia
post #15 of 213 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 16:14
Pepe the Beast
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid & the North London Bank of French Shylock
Spain are obvious favorite to get first...

Although if they start off slow like in the world cup Italy could certainly cause an upset.

Otherwise, it is between Italy and Croatia for second. Its not that I think Croatia is much better than Ireland, just that the line up of matches favors Croatia. Croatia get to play Spain last which may allow them to play a Spanish side that is already in the quarter finals. Ireland will fight for their pride if they are out by then.

mise_me_Fein, I've never read posts by a person as biased as you. What did Italy do you ask? Well, they qualified as group winners in their group far in advance and also recently beat Spain in a friendly match.

On the other hand, Ireland barely made it out of their group, getting lucky against an Armenian team that probably would never challenge Spain or Italy. Then you received the easiest of all opponents in the playoffs. You are absurd my friend. Your logic seems to be based around the assumption that if you personally like a squad, they must be quality and deserve more than other quality sides.

What have Italy done? Well, what the hell have Ireland done?

I support a corporation in Northern London.

Go Gunners...... Inc.

Show me your clubs trophy cabinet and I'll show you our financial statements.... Excluding employee expenses.
post #16 of 213 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 02:34
Premier Player

We got screwed last time around when we had Italy won the group but did not beat us and then the hand of Frog knocked us out.

If anyone looks at our record in major tournaments you may be surprised to see we play a lot better against top nations.

We will have no fear of Italy. I just worry that Croatia will beat us in the first game and then we are out in my opinion.

Italy only beat Estonia 2-1 by the way. We beat them 4-1.

As for Armenia, I don't rate them. We beat them both home and away. If they had bad luck surely it doesn't last for 180 minutes.

post #17 of 213 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 05:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Ireland team with Trapattoni and some of team stars is more class team to see in this euro.. with my respect any Armenia NT or who other else.
post #18 of 213 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 11:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Whatever Ireland have done, Italy should still beat them in the tournament. Croatia is a different proposition, but I fully expect us to get through this group. Only dififculty is having to play Spain first, but I could see this being 0-0.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #19 of 213 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 12:03
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Whatever Ireland have done, Italy should still beat them in the tournament. Croatia is a different proposition, but I fully expect us to get through this group. Only dififculty is having to play Spain first, but I could see this being 0-0.
Why should Italy beat Ireland? We beat them with a really poor Irish team last year 2-0. When we played them twice in 2009 we drew twice and should really have beaten them in Dublin but for a last minute Italian goal.

I predict Ireland to draw with Croatia 0 -0 like the game we played this year...we will lose to spain and then beat Italy 1-0 and go through to play England in the 1-4 finals....I hope we get England...we will beat them too.

Then people will say we are the new Greece.

post #20 of 213 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 12:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Italy should beat Ireland because we are better, we have better players. Any team getting Ireland in this competition should expect a win and especially as we are Italy. Not the best Italy team ever but if we started being scared of Ireland then we may aswell not even be in the competition.

I'm not saying Ireland should be scared of Italy, but we definitely shouldn't be worried about what Ireland offers.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in