Euro 2012, Group A (POL, GRE, RUS, CZE) - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who will reach the Quarter Finals?
Poland 32 59.26%
Greece 17 31.48%
Russia 47 87.04%
Czech Republic 9 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Euro 2012, Group A (POL, GRE, RUS, CZE)

GROUP A

8 June 2012, 18:00, National Stadium Warsaw, Warsaw (POL)
POLAND vs GREECE

8 June 2012, 20:45, Municipal Stadium Wroclaw, Wroclaw (POL)
RUSSIA vs CZECH REPUBLIC

12 June 2012, 18:00, Municipal Stadium Wroclaw, Wroclaw (POL)
GREECE vs CZECH REPUBLIC

12 June 2012, 20:45, National Stadium Warsaw, Warsaw (POL)
POLAND vs RUSSIA

16 June 2012, 20:45, National Stadium Warsaw, Warsaw (POL)
GREECE vs RUSSIA

16 June 2012, 20:45, Municipal Stadium Wroclaw, Wroclaw (POL)
CZECH REPUBLIC vs POLAND

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Russia, Poland

Greece might do it with their style, as I said in the EE thread, they can easily get 5 points in this group (2 0:0s and a 1:0 win over Czechs ). Unfortunately, I think the Czechs are too week, despite this draw I still don't see them doing much damage. This draw will just spare them a bit
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 20:09
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
It's a favorable draw for all 4 teams. Though the scary thing is all 4 teams can blow it up at the same time and the order of the winners and losers is almost difficult to predict or determine. I also think the Czechs are probably the weakest in this group even though they have chances to pull off wins. I think Russia will have a Euro record of defeating Greece 3x consecutively at the Euros. I think they'll be a bit more worried about Poland than Greece. Poland's home advantage will probably raise their confidence against the Greeks.

As ugly as things will get here with the scorelines I'll go with Russia and Poland.

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 20:37
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla
Love this group
The easiest possible draw. First game against Greece also the best what we can have. We beat them in friendlies few times. Last games were 0-0 in Greece and 2-0, 1-0 for us in Poland. Next is Russia last time we play with them friendly in Moscow was 2-2 (we were losing 0-2). The hardest opponent. Last Czech witch is weaker and weaker in every year. In eliminations to WC2010 we beat them 2-1 and lost 2-0 (first game after Beenhakker was fired so we were in mess that time). If not now then we never go to elimination stage.

"And it is untruth, that roof leaked, especially, that it did not rain almost."
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 23:14
Premier Player

Teams: Celtic, Man U, Ireland NT
Anyone can qualify from this group.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

A true Irishman has so much respect for the truth that he uses it only in emergencies.

post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2011, 23:43
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Well balanced and unpredictable group as the teams are more or less the same level each one with its own style, but I would place Poland a bit ahead of the other contenders for the simple fact they are one of the hosts and certainly the fans could make a difference.

Greece qualifies once again with their tough defense and counterattack style, but I don`t this will be enough to go through. Czech Republic have some good individual players, but they are far from being that strong team we used to see. So my other vote goes for Russia, they look a bit more secure than the other two.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 00:12
Xtratime Legend

Teams: some clubs. Italy&Oranje
Russia as group winners. As No2. I voted Greece, they know how to make it despite of the unattractive football they play.

20xx

SCHWARZ WEISS GRÜN

AAAAAALEEEEEEZ, AAAAAALEEEEEEZ!!!!!!
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:42
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PL NT
Polska Polska Polska!
Strength in numbers!
Get training hard and absorb the fans energy at game day!

Lets make this Tournament a Success!!!
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:46
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Wow, 6 games of this shitty group?

Anyways, Greece win the group with Russia behind them.

Greece has a world class back line, and young scarlets.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiu- View Post
Wow, 6 games of this shitty group?
I know, even Romania might have advanced from this group.

Actually, nevermind.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2011, 14:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
I know, even Romania might have advanced from this group.

Actually, nevermind.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 12:25
Rising Star

Teams: Euro 2004 champs and AEK Athens
All 4 teams are roughly equal and Poland has an advantage because they are at home. This is the most competitive of all divisions.

[SIZE="1"]AEK 2007/2008=REAL Champions win on the field, not in the courts. Euro 2004 champs. Eurobasket 2005 and 1987 champs. FIBA WC 2006 Silver Medal. FIBA WC U19 Gold Medal 1995. Non-qualification equals no progressAlexander
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2011, 16:10
Forum Manager
Legend

I guess Poland is being very underestimated, they have a decent team and play at home. I like Greece´s tactical discipline, but honestly I don`t see them advancing.
Guess no one believes in the Czechs.
post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2011, 05:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
as someone mentioned above, any team can pass this group.

anyway, i vote for Russia and Greece.
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2011, 17:32
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
Russia for sure, while for the second place the other 3 have equal chances, but ill vote for the hosts, IMO they have the home field advantage.
post #16 of 110 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2012, 22:03
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
For me, the home advantage won't be enough for Poland and Greece and Russia will both go through to the Quarterfinals. Probably the worst and most boring group of all here.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #17 of 110 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2012, 00:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
For me, the home advantage won't be enough for Poland and Greece and Russia will both go through to the Quarterfinals. Probably the worst and most boring group of all here.
IMO it won`t be boring, it will be very balanced and unpredictable which could make of this group a very interesting to watch. Guess for the ones who like to bet this could be a coup.

I only gave a slight advantage to Poland because of home advantage and they have a relatively good team, but it wouldn`t be a surprise if do not advance. I see Russia the strongest team in the group and it was my other vote. Greece has the same style that led them to an historic title, but they aren`t playing well and I am still really annoyed that Israel couldn`t pass them in the group. The Czech Republic has good players, but are lacking "the something more", the final punch to advance. So IMO Poland and Russia advance, but it is a very tight and unpredictable group.
post #18 of 110 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 13:29
Premier Player

At this moment I'd say we have really promising potential in our squad, however they're making together really average team, mostly because of our current coach, who's quite poor in terms of squad selection. But on the other hand he was always well-known from fast affecting on the team, when he only could train with own footballers day by day for some time. So we'll see how this team will look like after the month of trainings before tournament.
post #19 of 110 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 18:20
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedobrzeniec View Post
At this moment I'd say we have really promising potential in our squad, however they're making together really average team, mostly because of our current coach, who's quite poor in terms of squad selection. But on the other hand he was always well-known from fast affecting on the team, when he only could train with own footballers day by day for some time. So we'll see how this team will look like after the month of trainings before tournament.
Do you believe it was a positive or a negative point that Poland didn´t need to go through the qualifiers?
post #20 of 110 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2012, 14:12
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Do you believe it was a positive or a negative point that Poland didn´t need to go through the qualifiers?
Generally it's a rather negative point of being a host country, but surely not in our case. Because after terrible E2008's Quals, Poland's team was totally destroyed and needed a radical reconstruction. So the three years break of playing qualifying matches came for us in the perfect moment.

Now we have totally different team, such footballers like Piszczek, Lewandowski, Blaszczykowski or Arsenal's keeper Szczesny achieved proper level, improved MUCH own football quality and additionally there's also a fresh wind in the team thanks to solid footballers like Polanski, Mierzejewski, Peszko, Perquis, Grosicki, Obraniak, Rybus or Boenisch.

I wrote about our current situation in the different place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedobrzeniec View Post
Difficult to say wheter we've been in better form now. I can agree, that we have some interesting footballers and in terms of squad depth and individual skills of our players, we have FAR better team than we had in the last 20 years, without any doubt of that. However at this moment they're playing quite average football as a team and the potential in them is better than they're showing now. But Smuda always had that quick affecting on his teams, when he only had the footballers day by day on several weeks, so I hope this team will look better before the match against Greece than now.

In 2006 or 2008 there was only Boruc from absolutely great class footballers, at this moment we have Szczesny, Piszczek, Blaszczykowski and Lewandowski, and some really solid, experienced and simply decent class footballers like Wasilewski, Obraniak, Perquis, Tyton, Murawski, Polanski, Mierzejewski, Peszko or Dudka, who're regulary playing in good leagues or decent teams.

There're also two really talented, quick and agile wingers, that's on the right side Grosicki (who's shining in Turkish league) and on the left side Rybus (who was shining in Legia's EL's matches and moved to Russian league). And there's also brilliant Wolski in Legia Warszawa, aged 19, who's surely our most talented footballer in the last ten years - the single young footballer in our league, who was such promising like Wolski and who was able to do such creative things, was Lewandowski. Sumda announced that if Wolski and Kaminski (much talented Lech Poznan's central defender, aged 20) don't loss own form, they'll be in his E2012 team.

It's only a pity that Ireneusz Jelen totally lost own good form from Auxerre's times, because we'd have at least one comparable replacement for Lewandowski. And also I still hope that Boenisch will manage to come back to at least decent shape before E2012, because then the left defence wouldn't be our worst settled position - Komorowski got injured several days ago, so he will be out of play within next four weeks and Wawrzyniak is more useful in offensive play than in defence, when we're talking about top class football. Boenisch in good form, with his great crossing would be weight in gold for us.

Summing up...our strong side should be surely the offensive play:

Lewandowski
Mierzejewski - Obraniak - Blaszczykowski
Polanski - Murawski

...so quick and agile wings and really technical type of footballer in the central part of midfield, also with really good shot from distance and really good set pieces, that's Obraniak. Mierzejewski is surely more useful footballer for our national team, than for Trabzonspor, because unfortunately for him they've been trying to make a playmaker from Mierzej, while he's typical winger with really good technique and creative pass. He can't play on the central part of midfield as good as on the left side, because Mierzejewski is MUCH better with a rival ahead himself and not that good with rival behind his back. I still think that Mierzejewski could be as important for us on the left side as Blaszczykowski on right side.

But if not Adrian, then Smuda can put one from two typical really quick young footballers with average technique, that's Rybus or Grosicki. All of our midfielders has a great support in Lewandowski, who's close to be absolutely world class footballer. What's more, Lewy isn't only typical scorer, he's MUCH useful in playing with rival behind his back, has really creative opening pass, he's also decent in head play. I believe that his co-operation with his friends with Dortmund, with Piszczek and Blaszczykowski, that's our right side will be the key for success for us - at this moment all have been in their top form ever. And there's still hope that we'll have not that much worse left side, but difficult to say whether Boenisch will be ready...

The big and key question is how will look like our central defence - Wasilewski and Perquis played really good match together against Portugal (0:0), additionally both should be great support for us at freekicks and corners thanks to their great head play, but Wasilewski plays in Anderlecht as a right defender and Perquis will be injured to the end of Ligue1 season...If not them, the only hope is that Szczesny will show top of own possibilities during this tournament.

The squad is supplemented by two defensive midfielders, where we have four or even more similar class footballers (I'd say typical average european class runners, perfect for mid table teams of Bundesliga or Ligue1), that's Murawski, Polanski, Dudka, Borysiuk or Jodlowiec. I was saying a year ago that Murawski is among our key footballers, the heart of a team, but because of injuries he doesn't look as good now as in this time. But he'll probably play in the centarl part of midfield with Polanski.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in