Why are NT matches played on a Friday and Tuesday now? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 13:07 Thread Starter
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
Why are NT matches played on a Friday and Tuesday now?

It's supposed to be Saturday and Wednesday.

Why would they ever change it from a Saturday to the Friday?

I mean can't less people go to the games on a Friday than on the day that most people should have a day off, on Saturday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 15:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
I agree with you on this issue and I would risk to say that it has been by pressure of the clubs for some reason they believe it will benefit them better if the players played on day earlier than usual.

Another possible issue is some TV broadcasting or Uefa sponsors that would have some better income and return for their investments in these dates instead of the previous one.

Other than this I can`t think in any other one right now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 15:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
The clubs wanted to have their players back a day earlier

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 19:16 Thread Starter
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
I agree with you on this issue and I would risk to say that it has been by pressure of the clubs for some reason they believe it will benefit them better if the players played on day earlier than usual.
This is so stupid and makes me dislike club football even more.

Quote:
Another possible issue is some TV broadcasting or Uefa sponsors that would have some better income and return for their investments in these dates instead of the previous one.
I kind of doubt that, because there isn't anything else shown on Saturdays and Wednesdays, it's not like some other games normally take place and FIFA would have to put them on another day so it's not as congested.

It just makes it even stupider. If Canada makes it into the next round, I live in the city that they would play home games in, but I just now realized that apparently now they would be on a friday and not saturday if a home game would fall on the weekend fixture.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 20:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK ANDY View Post
This is so stupid and makes me dislike club football even more.
Yes, more and more we are coping with these situations in sport and especially football.
For the real fans who love the game it is disgusting really dissapoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK ANDY View Post
I kind of doubt that, because there isn't anything else shown on Saturdays and Wednesdays, it's not like some other games normally take place and FIFA would have to put them on another day so it's not as congested.

It just makes it even stupider. If Canada makes it into the next round, I live in the city that they would play home games in, but I just now realized that apparently now they would be on a friday and not saturday if a home game would fall on the weekend fixture.
I would tend to agree with you, but on the other hand Uefa is besides a football entity is an excellent commercial selling company and certainly they analysed this possibility. So in other words if they really moved the games to Tuesday and Friday is because they were safe they wouldn`t lose income IMO.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2011, 21:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
Yes, that was the official explanation from Uefa and clubs, but certainly there are other issues involved.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2011, 04:11
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post

heard that too.

but, don't the players have to leave a day earlier instead then?

clubs alm:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2011, 04:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
but, don't the players have to leave a day earlier instead then?
No

Players leave their clubs the same day no matter if its Friday or Saturday match, it makes it very hard to the NTs. For example, the players play with their club on Saturday/Sunday, meaning realisitically the NT won't have its full complement of players until Monday. They only have 4 days to train for the Friday match, and thats if everything runs smoothly

I personally hate it, on weekends during international breaks there were literally zero games around the world other than lower league action
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2011, 17:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
No

Players leave their clubs the same day no matter if its Friday or Saturday match, it makes it very hard to the NTs. For example, the players play with their club on Saturday/Sunday, meaning realisitically the NT won't have its full complement of players until Monday. They only have 4 days to train for the Friday match, and thats if everything runs smoothly

I personally hate it, on weekends during international breaks there were literally zero games around the world other than lower league action
I agree there should a bigger break for the NT´s to have more time to prepare, but the problem is that today in football what counts is money unfortunately. So what gives more money are clubs and not NT, by the simple fact that every week we have games while NT´s once in a while appear to the world.

I mean playing for your country should be the peak and the aim of every player around, but more and more things aren`t looking like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2011, 21:40
Star Player

Teams: AS Roma, Italy
The origin of the change lies in UEFA's annual elite coaches forum, held every September, where Arsne Wenger - in particular - continually called for NT games to be played on Fridays and Tuesdays to enable players to be back training at Arsenal on Thursday before the following Saturday's game.

However, recently UEFA has said that it believes that having no high profile football on the weekend of international double-headers means football risks losing some of its place in the market which other sports can exploit, and so is considering staggering NT games between Thursdays and Saturdays and then from Mondays to Wednesdays. Perahps this is why the dates for the UEFA WC 2014 qualifying games have yet to be decided despite the draw being held at the end of July.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2011, 23:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
The origin of the change lies in UEFA's annual elite coaches forum, held every September, where Arsne Wenger - in particular - continually called for NT games to be played on Fridays and Tuesdays to enable players to be back training at Arsenal on Thursday before the following Saturday's game.

However, recently UEFA has said that it believes that having no high profile football on the weekend of international double-headers means football risks losing some of its place in the market which other sports can exploit, and so is considering staggering NT games between Thursdays and Saturdays and then from Mondays to Wednesdays. Perahps this is why the dates for the UEFA WC 2014 qualifying games have yet to be decided despite the draw being held at the end of July.
Didn`t know about the Arsene Wenger personal request, but the idea is pretty much what I thought about marketing and business purposes.

Let`s see what will happen with this issue, there is still a lot to come on it.

But firstly Uefa and especially FIFA must think that the rising of other sports in the marketshare is not exclusive by this reason. The fact that corruption has been a very commented issue, the "rationalization" of the game becoming more and more a business than a sporting affair of passion and the better marketing of other sports have all contributed for a decrease of football compared to others.

One must also analyse that the selection of specific TV braodcasts for important football competitions end up motivating other TV stations to invest their programmes in basketball, tennis, volley, handball, rugby, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in