How good can Montenegro become? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 10:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
How good can Montenegro become?

2 wins out of 2 in qualifying, but for Euro 2012 it may be too early to qualify. How good can this relatively small nation become? Can it be as succesful as Croatia and Serbia and make the big tournaments frequently?

Just had a look at their team and very nice. Led by the awesome Mirko Vucinic and even winning these 2 games without one of the most talented players in Europe, Stevan Jovetic. Another notable face is Vukcevic of Sporting Lisbon, class midfielder. Most of the squad plays at a high level in either Russia or one of the continental leagues aswell so with many Montenegran players moving abroad like this, I think it will be rather quick for them to make their name at least on the European stage.

England for sure can not under-estimate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 10:38
Fen
Football student
Rising Star

Teams: Eurasian Eagle-owls
new Slovenia perhaps.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 10:45
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen View Post
new Slovenia perhaps.
In terms of population, Montengegro is half a million, perhaps 600.000 while Slovenia over 2 million.

Overall, I am impressed by them. It appears they have a good team spirit and players give everything on the field.

It will be interesting to follow their progress.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 10:46
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AS Roma, Newcastle
A bit of a kneejerk thread, especially given how much we suck right now.

Montenegro population is just too small for them to become a serious force. But for the size of the population (only 600 000 or so) they are awesome. And in the 3 matches I've seen of them they played with so much heart and commitment, great to see. I wish them all the best because Vucinic is my current footballing hero.

"You don’t play a derby, you win it." - Rudi Garcia
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 12:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
I will say this, in this group they can finish second, but they probably won't do much in a major tournament/tougher group. They lack depth, any sort of string of injuries and suspensions they could be in trouble, mostly at the back where I see outside of guys like Basa and Pavicevic, its mostly domestic players

Zlatko Kranjcar is a good coach, he showed it at Croatia despite a disappointing WC 2006
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 12:39
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
600.000, but you all forget their link to Serbia and the fact that they're tapping up some of our B players. A lot of their NT members are born and raised in Serbia.

There's definitely talent though, always has been with the likes of Savicevic and Mijatovic in recent times. With Jovetic and Vucinic they have two class players right now and lot's of promising youngsters breaking through, think of Fatic, Savic, Vesovic. I think they might challenge for the play-offs and will definitely have success some day.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 19:53
Star Player

Teams: Montenegro
Thank you Deano for starting this thread

As to whether we will be as successful as Serbia or Croatia, i am not sure simply because we are such a small country, not to say Croatia and Serbia are large countries themselves because they too are also small compared to the likes of France, Germany and Italy, but i think we can definitely be compared to a Slovakia or Slovenia, overall a very tough team to beat.

Quote:
They lack depth, any sort of string of injuries and suspensions they could be in trouble, mostly at the back where I see outside of guys like Basa and Pavicevic, its mostly domestic players
I would've agreed with you a couple of years ago when we were just starting out, but our defense has improved dramatically since then. Along with Basa and Pavicevic, we also have captain of Russian team Spartak Nalchik, Miodrag Dzudovic, and our left back Milan Jovanovic who also plays for the same team. Dzudovic was vital in our game against Wales where he made Craig Bellamy seem almost non-existent, which is not an easy thing to do. We also have a number of young defenders coming through such as Ivan Fatic of Genoa, Stefan Savic of Partizan, Zarko Tomasevic of Nacional, Nemanja Mijuskovic of Dinamo Moscow and Nikola Vujadnovic who is on loan at Aberdeen from Udinese, so we definitely have more than enough strength at the back for the future. Also, from the last two qualifiers, we only had two players from our domestic league that were called up, Radoslav Batak and Luka Pejovic, both whom play at Mogren Budva.

Last edited by Antivari22; September 8th, 2010 at 20:03.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 21:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Montenegro don't have any really top clubs sides though like Serbia and Croatia did when they emerged. Montenegrin clubs were probably the weakest along with Macedonian sides in the former Yugoslav league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 21:51
TBA
BANNED!
Premier Player

Teams: Bayern München
All I know is we beat Montenegro IN montenegro...and they want to qualify
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 22:01
Star Player

Quote:
Montenegro don't have any really top clubs sides though like Serbia and Croatia did when they emerged. Montenegrin clubs were probably the weakest along with Macedonian sides in the former Yugoslav league.
Yeah, the only real "big" club we have is Buducnost, but they never qualify for Europe, just like almost every other well known club from former Yugoslavia nowadays.

Quote:
All I know is we beat Montenegro IN montenegro...and they want to qualify
That was only Zlatko Kranjcar's second game in charge and seven of our first eleven starters starters were out, but i knew one of you guys would mention this considering how much it meant to you
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2010, 22:02
TBA
BANNED!
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antivari22 View Post
That was only Zlatko Kranjcar's second game in charge and seven of our first eleven starters starters were out, but i knew one of you guys would mention this considering how much it meant to you
yeah, i mean beating montenegrins in your own country isn't bad....
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 00:16
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
Half their team is from Serbia, they have way more than 600,000 people to choose from.

There's no reason why they can't finish 2nd in this group, but I think it will be way to hard to qualify this time around. I think they'll make the next Euro's for sure.

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 00:39
Star Player

Quote:
Half their team is from Serbia, they have way more than 600,000 people to choose from.
Yes, but the majority of them for the exception of Beciraj have Montenegrin roots. It's no different with a Serb from Croatia or Bosnia playing for Serbia. In the end, it's the players decision to play for whichever national team they want to represent.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 01:32
TBA
BANNED!
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos View Post
How? Their team is montenegrin, not serbian, different thing, don't forget that.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 01:35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
How? Their team is montenegrin, not serbian, different thing, don't forget that.
wrong... they all serbs but since serbia rejected them they had to go with their 2nd choice montenegro...
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 01:52
Legend

vucinic is the best player of yugoslavia/balkans so why not
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 01:53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelface View Post
he's too incosistent.. i dont think he would be a starter for serbia
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 01:57
TBA
BANNED!
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelface View Post
of course he is, my cousin that plays 3rd division in albania is better than him probably.

Lorik Cana, captain of French champions Marseille, Sunderland and now Galatasaray is the best Balkan player....excluding the serbs because i don't count them being in the balkans...they're more from russia..
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 02:10
Star Player

Quote:
excluding the serbs because i don't count them being in the balkans...they're more from russia..
Quote:
our 4th string team would rape montenegro man
Are you two guys twelve years old or half retarded? Maybe both
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2010, 02:16
Star Player

Quote:
bro u the only guy from CG who doesnt call himself serb and actually hates... wtf r u a siptar?
When did i ever say i hated Serbia?...i certainly don't. Is it really a crime to come from Montenegro and wanting to support the Montenegro national team?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in