Asian Cup 2007 Discussion Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:15 Thread Starter
International

Asian Cup 2007 Discussion Thread

TEHRAN - Iranian World Cup striker Vahid Hashemian has been called up for his nation's AFC Asian Cup qualifiers against Korea Republic and Syria, quashing rumours of his international retirement.

The Hannover striker was part of the squad that struggled in Germany during the summer, picking up just one point from their games against Mexico, Portugal and Angola, but has returned to the team as the Iranians aim to qualify for next year's finals in South East Asia.

"Despite the reports that said I wouldn't play for Team Melli after our poor World Cup performance, I'm here to do my best for my country against South Korea and Syria," said the former Bayern Munich forward.

Hashemian was named in manager Amir Ghalenoei's squad for the nation's two vital AFC Asian Cup Group B qualifiers, which will see the Iranians travel to Seoul next week before meeting the Syrians in Damascus.

The 28-year-old is joined in the squad by former Asian Player of the Year Ali Karimi, who has recovered from injury to reclaim his place, while Italy-based defender Rahman Rezaei has also been recalled.

Iran will be aiming to atone for their 1-1 draw with Syria in Tehran earlier this month, although Hashemian was not surprised that the team struggled.

"Considering that the Iranian Pro League is on its summer holidays and the majority of players were not in the best of shape, the draw against Syria was not that big a surprise," he said.

"It won't be easy to face a strong team like Korea, but that doesn't mean that we have to be disheartened. We'll do our best to overcome both the Koreans and Syria."

Ghalenoei has named a large squad - calling up 25 players plus an additional nine players from Iran's under 23 team - including Osasuna midfielder Javad Nekounam and Bolton Wanderers' target Andranik Taymourian.

Iran squad

Ebrahim Mirzapoor, Vahid Talebloo, Hassan Roodbarian, Rahman Rezaei, Mahmood Fekri, Amir Hossein Sadeghi, Hadi Aghili, Mohammad Nosrati, Hadi Shakoori, Hossein Kaabi, Alireza Nikbakht Vahedi,Andranik Teymourian, Eman Mobali, Javad Nekounam, Hossein Kazemi, Javad Kazemian, Mehdi Mahdavikia, Mehrzad Madanchi, Ali Karimi, Reza Enayati, Farhad Majidi, Mehdi Rajab Zade, Vahid Hashemian, Rasool Khatibi, Siavash Akbarpoor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 16:56
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
We just tied Korea 1-1 in asian cup qualifying.

What has happened to Team Melli? Everyone is so phucking lost. When they get the ball they slow down to walking pace and then pass it to the other team.

Its embarassing man...

Thanks to Vahid for saving some blushes at the end..

sup
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:26
Premier Player

Teams: Fenerbahce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyan
We just tied Korea 1-1 in asian cup qualifying.

What has happened to Team Melli? Everyone is so phucking lost. When they get the ball they slow down to walking pace and then pass it to the other team.

Its embarassing man...

Thanks to Vahid for saving some blushes at the end..
I actually liked the style we played in, but we obviously do not have the players to pull it off. This time of defensive mindset wont work if we cannot construct a proper attack from the defense. Nikbakht and Mehdi needed to push up more. Obviously when they pushed up they would need Nekounom and Andranik to sit back and aid the defense. Javad and Ando are not disciplined enough for that. The system he plays could work. Madanchi is crap btw and shouldnt be starting. I would prefer a system like this...

--------------------Mirzapour--------------------
------------Nosrati-----Fekri-------Rezaei--------
Mahdavikia-------------------------------Nikbakht
vvvvvv-------Andranik----------Javad------vvvvv
vvvvvv-----------------Karimi--------------vvvvv
----------------Vahid---------Bohrani------------

This is something we could pull, also Karimi is a crappy support striker. He will disappear in a game if he has nothing to do. When Majadi came on Karimi did better as he had something to do in MF.

I say give Ghalenoei these three games to prove himself.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:30
Premier Player

Saturday 02 September, 2006

Hashemian's late strike salvages draw for Iran

by Martin Reza Babry

PFDC - SEOUL, Thanks to a defensive blunder in the 93rd minute and Hannover striker Vahid Hashemian's perfect reaction, Iran was able to book a 1-1 draw in Asian Cup qualification in South Korea on Saturday.

The dominant, however, rather harmless South Korean's had most of the game in first half, but apart from a wide shot after 43 minutes, the hosts failed to trouble Iran's well organized defense.

Team Melli, being lined up in a 5-4-1 formation showed an extremely defensive approach to the match, however, had the best chance of the first interval when Ali Karimi, inscened by the hard working lone striker Hashemian, created himself space by a quick move, but didn't manage to bring his leftfooted effort from very promising position on target (26').

Iran was then punished for their passive display, when Seol Ki-hyun, undisturbed by his marker Mahmoud Fekri, was able to head a freekick into the far corner in inury time of first half.

Amir Ghalenoei's boys then showed a slightly better offensive performance after the break, especially after the former Esteghlal coach brought Farhad Majidi for Mehrzad Madanchi. Despite the Al Nasr forward failed to impress after coming on, the more offensive 3-5-2 obviously improved Iran's offense.

However, the homeside, who still had the bigger share of the game, countered by displaying their strongest ten minutes of the game, creating and fortunately wasting four good chances between minute 67 and minute 77. Ebrahim Mirzapour also knew to convince in Iran's goal today.

Iran then looked like marking the equalizer a couple of times, but first a Karimi header from close range sailed over the bar (80'), then Rahman Rezaei flew inches past Mohammad Nosrati's extension to a Mehdi Mahdavikia freekick (82') and finally Karimi wasted the biggest Iranian chance of the game when he, all alone in front of the almost open goal failed to hit Hashemian's good serving (83').

Finally, in the dying seconds of the match, when everything seemed set for a Korean celebration, Iran managed to equalize.

The today disappointing Mahdavikia sent a long pass forward, but Hashemian, marked by two defenders and facing the outstorming Korean goalkeeper, couldn't get to the ball. However, Hashemian didn't give up, chased defender Kim Sang-sik down, stole the ball from him at the edge of the area and lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper, who was chanceless against the beautiful effort of Iran's new number one goalgetter.

Considering Iran's late goal, it surely was a lucky draw for Team Melli. Yet, the dominant hosts simply had failed to secure the three points by scoring a second goal. Therefore the point was not totally undeserved for the Iranians, who never gave up and also showed good defensive organization.

Iran will take on Syria on Wednesday, after an odyssee to Damascus from Seoul, travelling over Beijing and Tehran.

South Korea - Iran 1-1 (1-0)

Asian Cup Qualifier, Seoul

Referee: Christopher Reid (AUS)

Goals:
1-0 Seol (45' 1)
1-1 Hashemian (90' 3)

Iran's lineup: Mirzapour - Nosrati, Fekri, Rezaei - Mahdavikia, Nikbakht (68' Kaebi) - Teymourian (90' Akbarpour), Nekounam, Madanchi (55' Majidi) - Karimi - Hashemian

Bookings: None
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2006, 15:12
Legend

Iran 2-0 Korea.

We have got to Asian Championships... Somehow.

sup
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2007, 12:38
Premier Player

Asian Cup 2007 News and Discussion

Asian Cup 2007 to start this summer

Malaysia, Uzbekistan, and China were our draws in the group stages.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:46
Premier Player

Korean news:
Park Ji-Sung will probably miss the Asian Cup, while Lee Young-Po will probably recover.

Japan news:
Keja Tamada out for 5 weeks, should recover for Asian Cup.

Australian News:
Kewell might back for Asian Cup, he played in a reserve game for Liverpool recently.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 21:42
Premier Player

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 02:35
Premier Player

Apparently Ghalenoei was in Germany watching some of our players in Germany and talked to Dejagah and Shapourzadeh about playing for NT. I hope Dejagah accepts for Asian Cup.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 20:52
Premier Player

http://iransportspress.com/?c=118&a=4313

Neill confident Australia will win Asian Cup

Lucas Neill believes Australia will stroll through this year's Asian Cup to win the region's most prestigious tournament at their first attempt.

The defender expected Japan and South Korea to put up a fight but said Australia were supremely confident of success

No respect for the 3 time Asian champions, I guess we have to prove him wrong.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 21:08
Rising Star

Australia did better, much
better than any other Asian team last WC, true or false? In fact based on time of posession
and in almost every category they outplayed the WC champ Italy, and simply got unlucky
in their 1-0 defeat.

I think the way to respond, is to stay quiet, and have excellent preparation and and show them
on the field.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 21:14
Premier Player

Yeah you are right, we shouldnt really feel out of place even against Korea and Japan because they have accomplished more than us on the international stage. You are rigjt, we have to prove on the field of play.

I do not even expect us to win it, all I ask is the players give it their all.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 16:34
Premier Player

Malaysia lost 2-0 to Sydney FC in a friendly.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2007, 22:49
Premier Player

30 man squad announced

Goalkeepers: Hasan Roudbarian, Vahid Taleblou, Mehdi Rahmati.

Defenders: Mohamad Nosrati, Rahman Rezaei, Seyed Jalal Hosseini, Hadi Aghili, Amir Hossein Saeghi, Hadi Shakouri.

Midfielders: Freydun Zandi, Alireza Nikbakht Vahedi, Satar Zareh, Mehdi Mahdavikia, Hossein Kaebi, Javad Kazemian, Morteza Asadi, Ebrahim Sadeghi, Iman Mobali, Javad Nekounam, Andranik Teimourian, Mohamad Nouri, Masoud Shojaei, Maziar Zareh, Hossein Badamaki, Kianoush Rahmati,
Ali Karimi

Strikers: Vahid Hashemian, Reza Enayati, Rasoul Khatibi, Mehdi Rajabzadeh
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2007, 23:42
Premier Player

No Nosrati for the tournement it seems :frustrat:

Who do you guys think should fill in? I assume we will play 2 at the back and a 4-4-2 now.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 05:49
Premier Player

Nosrati is back nevermind
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 02:03
Premier Player

We will just use for Asian Cup I guess.

So any of you guys saw Aussies and Japenese draw their first matches. I have a feeling Uzbeks will prove difficult, but they missing their best player so we should good. I really feel this could be Iran's tournement and we will play open offensive minded football.

Cant wait till the game.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 02:14
Legend

Well to be honest, Australia and Japan looked pretty awful to me. But I guess that just may be the first group jitters.

But yeah, i'm actually excited for this!

sup
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 02:37
Premier Player

They were poor (Japan and Australia), but I honestly think some of these teams are getting better. These teams may not have the most skill in the world but they are pretty organized. I still think we have the toughest group, but I am sure we will make it out.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 03:25
Premier Player

The squad with numbers released after training today.

1 Keeper Hassan Roudbarian
2 Midfileder Mehdi Mahdavikia
3 Defender Amir Hossein Sadeghi
4 Midfileder Andranik Teymourian
5 Defender Rahman Rezaei
6 Midfielder Javad Nekunam
7 Midfielder Fereydoun Zandi
8 Midfielder Ali Karimi
9 Forward Vahid Hashemian
10 Forward Rasul Khatibi
11 Midfielder Mehrzad Madanchi
12 Defender Seyed Hossein Bejari
13 Defender Hossein Kaebi
14 Midfielder Iman Mobali
15 Midfielder Hadi Aghili
16 Forward Gholamreza Enayati
17 Midfielder Javad Kazemian
18 Forward Mehdi Rajabzadeh
19 Midfielder Ebrahim Sadeghiani
20 Defender Mohammad Nosrati
22 Keeper Vahid Taleblou
24 Midfielder Masoud Shojaei
30 Keeper Mohammad Rahmati

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in