ASEAN Championship 2007 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 14:46 Thread Starter
Rising Star

ASEAN Championship 2007

Haha, what a moment! Thais walk away for about 15 minutes!
Singapore won 2-1 in 1st leg, but there's still 2nd leg, but what a stupid penalty call! And sadly the ref is Malaysian!

Last edited by watching; January 31st, 2007 at 16:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 15:11
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Went to the match. Great atmosphere.

Will have to watch the penalty call again, but that's not the point. Nothing justifies a walk-out like that. 15 bloody minutes as well. It's a complete joke if Thailand doesn't get punished for it.

Or are players allowed to walk out every time a decision doesn't go their way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 15:27
International

Teams: La Nazionale
Just for you guys :

Singapore 1-0 Thailand (Noh Alam Shah)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUNrPsfN2oI

Singapore 1-1 Thailand (Pipat Tongunlaya)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-WxA3YXWCNw

I won't bother with the video for the penalty, because it should never have been given, no matter how many times you look at the replays. But to walk off the pitch like that with the penalty not even taken yet (Singapore might well have missed), the fact that there's still a 90 minute game in Bangkok to come, and knowing full well that the Thai Football Federation will definitely be punished no matter how the match ended, it's an extremely silly and unsportsmanlike gesture. To think I was even willing Thailand on in the second half because they were playing the much better football. Penalty or not, Thailand deserves to be punished severely by the AFC.

Funny how this always seem to happen to Singapore, though (remember the bottle-flinging / mug-kicking incident at Singapore vs Myanmar?). ASEAN seems to have a common enemy in football.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 15:32
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.

Last edited by Firdaus; February 1st, 2007 at 05:30.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 16:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Lol, you reliese... I thought nobody reliese, I'll edit... Kinda outrage that time, a Malaysian give a match to Singapore after saw Malaysia been dumped out by Singapore by a crap pen taker earlier!
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2007, 18:08
dog
Rookie

Is this tournament the Tiger Cup?
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 01:53
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog
Is this tournament the Tiger Cup?
Yes, it's the Tiger Cup.. Just that, if I'm not wrong, Tiger beer didnt sponsor this time round.

Back to the match. To be honest, I'm not impressed with both teams. If this is the Thailand team that is going to play in the Asia Cup, they will get slaughtered.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 02:22 Thread Starter
Rising Star

What do you expect from SEA teams? They all crap!
But I enjoy watch this tournament, so many hillarious momets, rarely find in profesional football!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 05:43
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by watching
What do you expect from SEA teams? They all crap!
But I enjoy watch this tournament, so many hillarious momets, rarely find in profesional football!
haha.. Was watching an ESPN program talk show on football. They were saying how the standard of football in the region has improved. Agreed!! Good entertainment..

Don't support any team in this tournament. Not even Singapore (I'm a Singaporean), since at one point of time of the match, 5 were foreigners.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 12:54
Xtratime Legend

Not referring to Jianxing here, but what I find annoying is how so many Singaporeans seem to be saying that it wasn't a penalty, that the Thai walkout was justified, etc. From the referee's position at the time, it was a justified penalty call. And the walkout wasn't justified at all. It only serves as carte blanche to walk out every time you disagree with something.

But all that aside, you would expect that the said Singaporeans would be, if not squarely in favour of the Singaporean team, at least objective about the situation as distinct from coming across as being anti-Singapore. I don't see how that is fashionable at all.

Quote:

Last edited by Firdaus; February 1st, 2007 at 14:47.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 14:35
Premier Player

Actually from what I see, the call was actually very debatable. The penalty was given. When it was given, it's seemed very harsh. If it had not been given, it would look like a penalty wasn't given. To me, it's not clear cut enough. It would then lead to the use video evidence. Then the debate would be endless again.

I would never agree on the Thai's reaction, that's for sure. Nobody would. For me, I would choose not to talk about that incident. Cos it has nothing to do with the football played.

Actually I was referring to the program "Football Focus" or something like that, talking about the ASEAN championship. They were talking about SEA teams have improved a lot. But it seems to me that, it's not the case at all. Not impressed with the teams that played at all.

For me, of course I'm comparing the current Singapore team to the team of the Malaysia Cup days. The current team, although cup holders, still give me the impression that they are struggling to get the ball under control. Even with those foreign talent in, I'm still not impressed. Of course, that's just my views.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 15:11
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianxing
Actually I was referring to the program "Football Focus" or something like that, talking about the ASEAN championship. They were talking about SEA teams have improved a lot. But it seems to me that, it's not the case at all. Not impressed with the teams that played at all.
For me, of course I'm comparing the current Singapore team to the team of the Malaysia Cup days. The current team, although cup holders, still give me the impression that they are struggling to get the ball under control. Even with those foreign talent in, I'm still not impressed. Of course, that's just my views. [/QUOTE]

With respect to only the last match, you're right in that the football could have been better. But you have to take your hat off to Singapore for just showing so much hustle in the first half. The second half was very painful to watch at times.

I think that SEA football in general is better than it was, say, during the Malaysia Cup days. IMO, teams like Malaysia and Thailand have improved in leaps and bounds in terms of their passing game and possession game. Thailand even gave Brazil a run for their money a while back. .

As for comparing the current team to the team of the M'sia Cup days in terms of the foreign element, I'd also like to see more "local" players. But I'm sure you remember that some of the star players of our team would be considered as foreign as well - Abbas Saad, Jang Jung and Alistair Edwards.

Quote:
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 15:34
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firdaus
With respect to only the last match, you're right in that the football could have been better. But you have to take your hat off to Singapore for just showing so much hustle in the first half. The second half was very painful to watch at times.
That's right. It was a Cup final, whereby in theory of competitions, 2 of the best earned their rights to play in the final. That's why I expected a much better match than that. I don't mean the excitement element. I mean the quality of play.

Quote:
I think that SEA football in general is better than it was, say, during the Malaysia Cup days. IMO, teams like Malaysia and Thailand have improved in leaps and bounds in terms of their passing game and possession game. Thailand even gave Brazil a run for their money a while back. .

As for comparing the current team to the team of the M'sia Cup days in terms of the foreign element, I'd also like to see more "local" players. But I'm sure you remember that some of the star players of our team would be considered as foreign as well - Abbas Saad, Jang Jung and Alistair Edwards.
For me, I actually feel that the previous Tiger Cup in 2004 was much better in terms of quality. Of course I wouldn't take the 3 players into consideration when I make comparison with the National Team. I will give an example. Simple ground passing. I wouldn't say that the Malaysia Cup days were excellent, but they made it look simple and flowing. The current team makes me feel that they are struggling to make the simple pass right. The passing, the ball controls, etc... The basics in general were still better back then. It could be the pitch, I don't know. But it still doesn't look natural to me.. p
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 15:44
International

My comments:-

- That wasn't a penalty. Singaporean, Thai or Malaysian, it doesn't matter. Watching the replay from all possible angles (although in truth they weren't very helpful), it has to be said that it was an extremely harsh decision. And that's only because I can't seem to find a better word than "harsh".

- Singapore were crap. I agree with Jianxing; the supposed "star" players struggle to even get the ball under control. If the Malaysia Cup team sans the foreigners was an 8/10 in terms of talent and flair, I'd give the 2006 team (minus the foreigners too, which incidentally reduces the sample size to about 6) a 3/10. Fandi was world class, Sundramoorthy was a dribbling wizard and Malek Awab was to the team what Patrick Vieira was to Arsenal. I just can't see any individual being able to carry their team as much as these guys did. Indra Sahdan was supposed to be the Next Big Thing but was substituted after only 45 minutes. Daniel Bennett wears his heart on his sleeves but exodes a typical British style in defence (all huff and puff, brute force tackling, boots the ball away as soon as he gets possession) which actually hurts all attempts by the team to try and play the ball on the ground. The Malaysia Cup teams always did.

- Thailand were crap. Just a couple of years ago they were beating the likes of Bayern Munich in friendlies; recently they lost 4-0 to China. They look like a spent force - the Piyapong-Kiatisuk era is well and truly over.

Most South East Asian countries have not improved, and that's a sad fact. Many of them have taken steps backwards (Malaysia, Myanmar) and it's a real pity. The SEA games football gold medal match in the 80s and 90s used to play out like a mini Asian Cup Final; its modern equivalent is a huge kick in the face for AFF because, if I may be brutally honest, the current standard of ASEAN football is appalling.

Last edited by Great Outdoors; February 1st, 2007 at 15:57.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 16:52
Xtratime Legend

I think the only angle you should be thinking about is the referee's angle. Perhaps he shouldn't have given it if he wasn't sure. But certainly, it did look like something happened. It's played out to be a gift for something that never happened.

The Malaysia Cup squad had better individuals on the whole. But the last match aside, the current batch has improved in its possession play, IMO. As I recall, the passing during the Malaysia Cup days was worse than it has been in recent years. And this went for the Malaysian clubs too. It was only in recent years that I noticed the Malaysian team spraying passes around and retaining possession. It wasn't the kickabout that it used to be. That said, we did have players who could play the ball...and that, for me, made the whole difference. I blame it on Sivaji though, who was no tactician. No matter how he tries to convince anyone.

The Thai team were terrible. Again I was speaking in general terms when I say that Thai football has improved. 15 years ago, they were not as fluent as they have been in recent years. They've been able to hold their own against big teams, as you've said. The squad at the moment isn't the same, but that doesn't change the fact that they have, in recent years, proved to be a frightening team to play against (and not just in SEA).

I should qualify what I've said by adding that the improvement has not been uniform. There have been declines as well, for whatever reason. But I attribute it mainly to the all too frequent changes in staff or personnel that is a result of the Asian impulse. Also, I've seen varying states of fitness at various times.

Incidentally, wasn't Malek Awab a left midfielder / wing player as distinct from a more central defensive midfielder?

Quote:
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:25
International

With violence in Italy escalating to unprecedented heights today amid fears within the Singapore fan contingent of travelling to Bangkok for the return leg of the Final, the current state of modern football makes me very sad. I pray and hope nothing will happen in Sunday's second leg match, no matter what the outcome may be on the field of play.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2007, 17:11
Xtratime Legend

I couldn't agree more, GO. I would have gone for this match if I didn't have certain work commitments on Monday. I hope everything will be fine.

Quote:
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2007, 14:22
Premier Player

Congrats to "Singapore + Foreign Talent" team.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2007, 14:33
Xtratime Legend

Great win for the boys! Noh Alam Shah was an absolute lion, fighting for everything up front. The Amri goal was a rocket. The Thais played better than they did in Singapore but they really should have made us pay. They didn't have the finishing on the night though.

@ Jianxing: Is there such a thing as an indigenous Singaporean anyway?

Quote:
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2007, 14:40
Premier Player

Quote:
@ Jianxing: Is there such a thing as an indigenous Singaporean anyway?
Nope. But I prefer seeing someone born in Singapore (Malay, Chinese or Indian) playing for Singapore. I'm not interested in supporting Precious, Shi Jia Yi, Itimi Dickson, Mustafic and Daniel Bennett. I'm not interested in supporting France either. I support Noh Alam Shah, Amri, etc.. That's the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in