11 Sep - Tajikistan 1 - 0 South Korea

Semi Finals

14 Sep - Japan 2 - 0 Syria
14 Sep - North Korea 3 - 0 Tajikistan

Third/Fourth Placing

17 Sep - Syria 3 - 3 (4-5 on penalties) Tajikistan

Final

17 Sep - Japan 4 - 2 North Korea

Last edited by statsman; September 17th, 2006 at 20:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2006, 06:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

AFC U-17 Championship Past Winners

1985 - Saudi Arabia
1986 - South Korea
1988 - Saudi Arabia
1990 - Qatar
1992 - China
1994 - Japan
1996 - Oman
1998 - Thailand
2000 - Oman
2002 - South Korea
2004 - China

Winners Ranking

1. China - 2 titles
1. Oman - 2 titles
1. Saudi Arabia - 2 titles
1. South Korea - 2 titles
---------------------------------
5. Japan - 1 title
5. Qatar - 1 title
5. Thailand - 1 title
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 11:29
Rising Star

Stars of the future ready to shine

SINGAPORE: Stars of the future are itching to set the stage alight with their dazzling skills when the AFC U-17 Championship kicks off on Sunday here at the Bishan and Jalan Besar Stadiums.

The tournament has been an important stepping stone for youngsters since its launch in 1984 by the AFC with the view of providing another tier of competitive international football for the continent’s most talented teenaged footballers.

In action on the opening day are FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007 hosts Korea Republic, who take on Singapore, while Japan clash with Nepal to complete the action in Group A. In Group former runners-up Iran take on Yemen even as Iraq cross swords with the only Central Asian team in the competition, Tajikistan.

Groups C (DPR Korea, Myanmar and Saudi Arabia) and D (defending champions China, Bangladesh, Vietnam and Syria) roll into action on Monday.

After the suspension of Laos from all AFC youth competitions, three teams will be jostling for the top two spots in Group C with last edition’s runners-up DPR Korea favourites to punch their quarterfinal ticket alongside Saudi Arabia, who won the title in 1985 and 1988.

Singapore, coached by Kadir Yahya, make their debut in hosting a major international tournament but, with the likes of Japan and Korea Republic in their group, will need to be flawless to progress beyond the group stage by finishing in the top-two.

Korea Republic are former two-time champions (1986 and 2002) while Japan claimed the title in 1994.

Korea Republic head coach Park Kyung Hoon said a good showing in Singapore was vital to building his team’s confidence before the FIFA U-17 World Cup next year for which they have automatic entry as hosts.

“I think we are in with a chance,” said Park. “With the FIFA U-17 World Cup just a year away, we hope to build up a team which can challenge for major honours."

Park not surprisingly marked out neighbours DPR Korea, who narrowly lost to China 1-0 in the Final two years back, as the team to look out for when asked about the title-winning potential of others in the fray.

“DPR Korea is a fast, hard running, and very determined team, they will throw up a surprise. Besides DPR Korea, I am sure China will be going all out to defend their crown, and teams like Iran, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and Japan also can't be underestimated.”

Iran coach Mohamed Ahmadzade has already drilled into his team that offence is the best form of defence. “We will be completely aggressive,” said Ahmadzade. “We scored 10 goal in two qualifying matches (against Turkmenistan) and were winners against many U-19 or senior teams in friendlies in the run-up.”

“Protecting the goal might be a mission for some teams here but we are not among them,” declared Ahmadzade.

Iran clash with archrivals Iraq in what will be ‘the’ match of the group on September 7, with the latter team no doubt eager to make up for its 3-0 defeat in the quarterfinals two years back in Japan.

“Iran is a very good team and I know Yemen’s style of playing as I have worked there,” said Iraqi coach Kadoom Khalaf. “But Tajikistan present a problem as we simply don’t know about them.”

No team has won the Asian U-17 title twice in a row and this is something which is likely to weigh on China’s mind when they open their campaign against Syria on Monday.

However, Zheng Xiong’s squad has prepared methodically for their title-defence. “We want to defend the trophy and I believe that we can finish first in the group ahead of Bangladesh, Syria and Vietnam,” said Xiong. “We are 100% ready for them.”

“With many matches under the belt, I believe that we are more experienced compared to last year.”

Xiong underlined his team’s ambitions of qualifying for the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007. “To finish in the top four and qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup is very important to us. We are eager to compete against the world’s best teams in Korea Republic,” added Xiong, in a clear warning to rivals.

A prime target for all teams would be a semifinal finish as the top four sides in the Asian championship have spots reserved in the world competition, which Saudi Arabia won in 1989.

If the hosts themselves reach the semifinals then the match for third place will be replaced with a play-off featuring the two best losers from the quarter-final stage.

The grand finale will be played on September 17 at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 11:30
Rising Star

Xiong’s China keen to repeat success

SINGAPORE: After a narrow win in the AFC U-17 Championship Final two years back, China are optimistic of a successful title defence this time round, thanks to their excellent state of readiness under coach Zheng Xiong.

The Chinese U-17s kicked off their preparations well in advance with Zheng putting the team through the paces at their Changchun training base towards the end of 2005 before flying to Russia in January this year to play in an invitational tournament where they finished sixth.

The result, coming as it did against some quality European opposition, would have satisfied many a coach but not the hard-working Zheng who set about correcting what he perceived as weakness in the next two tournaments – in Japan and France - the team took part in during the month of March.

The efforts paid off when China turned in their best performance of the year so far in the Iran Invitational Tournament in May where they finished second runners-up among eight teams. Matches against Canada took place in June before Zheng’s lads delivered encouraging 4-0 and 5-1 wins against Asian rivals DPR Korea.

No wonder then, Zheng is quietly confidence about his team’s chances though no side has ever won the Asian U-17 title twice on the trot.

“With many matches under our belt, I believe we are more experienced compared to last year,” said Xiong, who spent most of his time last month analysing videos of China’s Group B rivals Bangladesh, Syria and Vietnam, taking nothing for granted.

“We want to defend the trophy and I believe we can finish first in the group ahead of Bangladesh, Syria and Vietnam,” said Xiong. “We are 100% ready for them.”

China did their reputation no harm by reaching the quarterfinals of the FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru last year and it was hardly surprising that Xiong’s main aim was to grab one of the four Asian tickets to Korea Republic.

“A finish in the top-four and qualification for the FIFA U-17 World Cup is very important to us as we are eager to compete against the world’s best teams in Korea Republic next year,” said Xiong.

However, the team’s soft spots were not lost on the experienced coach, who pointed out that the physically his players were on the smaller side and this could go against them. “Our strength lies in the way we attack. But then physically we are at a disadvantage when compared to teams like Iran, Iraq Saudi Arabia and DPR Korea.”

Having said that, Xiong believes that talent would carry the day for his team, who trained in Xianghe for the last 20 days before boarding the flight to Singapore. “We have many talented players, and attack is the best form of defence for us. I am lucky enough to have a bunch of talented attackers to choose from."

A lion’s share of Xiong’s team is drawn from the Xu Genbao Footballing School and the talented players he is referring to include burly defender Li Chenguang, who plays for Xi An, and Shandong Luneng’s twin terrors Gao Di and Wen Li.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 13:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Matchday 1

Group A

South Korea 3 - 1 Singapore
Japan 6 - 0 Nepal

Group B

Iran 1 - 0 Yemen
Iraq 0 - 1 Tajikistan
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 13:07
Rising Star

Group A
Japan 6-0 Nepal
S.Korea 3-1 Singapore

Group B
Iran 1-0 Yemen
Iraq 0-1 Tajikistan

Group C
DPRK 1-2 Saudi Arabia

Group D
China 1-0 Syria
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 13:11
Rising Star

Laos have been provisionally suspended by the AFC Disciplinary Committee from all AFC youth competitions for fielding an overaged player in the AFC U-13 Festival of Football held in Laos in April 2005.

So Group C only consists of 3 teams
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 16:05
Rising Star

Group D

Bangladesh 0 - 2 Vietnam
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2006, 00:14 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Matchday 3

Group A

Singapore 1 - 1 Japan
Nepal 0 - 2 South Korea

Group B

Yemen 1 - 1 Iraq
Tajikistan 2 - 1 Iran
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2006, 04:19
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman
Matchday 3

Group A

Singapore 1 - 1 Japan
Nepal 0 - 2 South Korea

Group B

Yemen 1 - 1 Iraq
Tajikistan 2 - 1 Iran
Sin drew Japan...
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Matchday 4

Group C

Myanmar 2 - 6 North Korea

Group D

Syria 7 - 0 Bangladesh
Vietnam 3 - 3 China
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 17:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Matchday 5

Group A

Singapore 0 - 0 Nepal
Japan 3 - 2 South Korea

1. Japan - 7 points
2. South Korea - 6 points
3. Singapore - 2 points
4. Nepal - 1 point

Group B

Iran 0 - 0 Iraq
Yemen 3 - 4 Tajikistan

1. Tajikistan - 9 points
2. Iran - 4 points
3. Iraq - 2 points
4. Yemen - 1 point
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 03:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Matchday 6

Group C

Myanmar 0 - 5 Saudi Arabia

1. Saudi Arabia - 6 points
2. North Korea - 3 points
3. Myanmar - 0 point

Group D

China 5 - 0 Bangladesh
Syria 2 - 0 Vietnam

1. China - 7 points
2. Syria - 6 points
3. Vietnam - 4 points
4. Bangladesh - 0 point
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 03:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quarter Finals

11 Sep - Japan vs Iran
11 Sep - Saudi Arabia vs Syria
11 Sep - China vs North Korea
11 Sep - Tajikistan vs South Korea
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 06:23
Rising Star

the four winners will secure a place in fifa youth game next year.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 06:25
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman
Matchday 5

Group A

Japan 3 - 2 South Korea

watched the game, the japanese deserved a win finally, they play the ball with the heart while koreans play with their bodies.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 06:41
Rising Star

Two best quarterfinal losers in playoff if Korea Republic qualify for semifinals

SINGAPORE: Should Korea Republic qualify for the semifinal stage of the AFC U-17 Championship here, the playoff match for third and fourth place will be replaced by the best two losers of the quarterfinals.

The top four teams in this tournament represent Asia in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea Republic next year and the Red Devils have qualified automatically as hosts.

An official statement issued by the Head of AFC Delegation, Junji Ogura, said according to Article 23 (b) of the Regulations governing the above competition, the tie breaker system would be used to determine the two best quarterfinal losers.

The system shall be applied as follows:

1. Goal difference

2. Greater number of goals scored

3. Drawing of lots

The above tie breaker will only apply for the duration of 90 minutes. Any result after normal playing time, including extra-time results and penalty kicks, will not be considered.

For the record, tournament favourites Korea Republic qualified for the quarterfinals from Group A with one game to spare. They play Central Asian debutants Tajikistan in the last eight.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 10:02
Rising Star

Jofuku says Japan not at their defensive best

SINGAPORE: Japan coach Hiroshi Jofuku has admitted that his team is still searching for its best defensive form in the AFC U-17 Championship.

Japan emerged unbeaten from Group A with two wins and a draw. The “Little Samurais” thrashed Nepal 6-0 in the opener, but hosts Singapore halted their march towards the last eight with a 1-1 draw, before they narrowly beat Korea Republic 3-2 in the last game to secure their spot in the knock out stage.

Former FC Tokyo tactician Jofuku wants his team to defend in a unit, in order to shut down their tricky quarterfinal opponents, Iran.

“In terms of individual ability, Iran are the best in this tournament. They are skilful, fast and attack minded. To beat them, we have to be at our best in defence.”

“Frankly, our central defenders (Sho Yamaji, Kimihiro Kai and Mizuki Hamada) aren’t convincing and they were error-prone and vulnerable in the three matches they played so far. They must work extra hard to prevent the Iranians from scoring.”

The two teams met at the Tehran Invitational in May last year, with Iran emerging victorious narrowly 4-3.

According to Jofuku, injury-free Japan, will go all out for an early kill.

“I strongly believe that the team which scores first will have the upper hand in this match. One goal will be enough to determine who will qualify for the semifinals.”

“As I mentioned before the tournament, I am not a gambler, and I don’t want to see my team miss the bus to the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea Republic next year. God knows who will be the best losers of the quarterfinals. I don’t want to take any risk.”

Japan take on Iran in the first quarterfinal at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Monday.

AFC.com
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 10:03
Rising Star

Tajik marksman Tukhtasanov ready to test himself at the highest level

SINGAPORE: Arguably the best player in the AFC U-17 Championship to date, Tajikistan hotshot Davrondzhon Tukhtasanov aims to help the sole representatives of Central Asia grab a double, by bringing home the trophy for the very first time and emerge as the Golden Boot winner himself.

Debutants Tajikistan have been making waves in Singapore, by being the only team besides Saudi Arabia, to win all of their group matches.

Pulod Qodirov’s Tajikistan took the tournament by storm by beating much fancied Iraq 1-0 in the opener, thrashed Iran 2-1 in the second and finished the group stage with a narrow 4-3 win against Yemen.

For the tall and lanky Tukhtasanov, who is affectionately called ‘beanpole’ by his team mates, everything has gone extremely well. After being shut down by the Iraqis in the first match, Tukhtasanov gave notice with a brace against Iran, and followed it up with another double in the last match to lead the scoring chart.

Nothing makes Tukhtasanov’s credentials stand out than the three Man of the Match awards he has garnered in as many outings in this tournament against some of the continent’s best teenaged practitioners of the game.

Standing at 174cm tall and weight 64 kg, Tukhtasanov is an unpolished diamond and could well be the next big thing in Central Asia after prolific Uzbek striker Maxim Shatskikh, who plays for Ukraine giants Dynamo Kiev and was AFC Player of the Year runner-up 2005.

The 16-year-old Tukhtasanov was born on 14th May 1990 in Dushanbe, and plays for the national junior team – known as the Oriyono - in the Tajikistan Lleague. The team is now lying in ninth place among 12 teams after twelve rounds. Tukhtasanov has contributed six goals to their cause and placed himself among the top strikers in the league.

Tukhtasanov was a late bloomer after committing himself to the game only at the age of 10 but his talent didn’t go unnoticed for long. Spotted by his mentor, the late Davron Davlatovich, he has not looked back once.

“I am grateful to my late coach Davlatovich, without him I won’t be who I am today. He gave me encouragement and motivated me always,” Tukhtasanov said.

With his awesome speed, fancy footwork and great movement on and off the ball, one might be excused for thinking that French superstar Thierry Henry is at work and not Tukhtasanov. And it is no surprise that the talented Arsenal skipper happens to be Tukhtasanov’s idol.

“I like to watch Henry play. In fact, our style is similar, but I need to work more on opening up play and assisting my team mates whenever I am man-marked by the opposition. I hope to emulate what Henry did with the Gunners and France.”

Tukhtasanov has big ambitions despite his young age-- his dream is to play in Europe.

“God knows what will happen in the future. But honestly, I would like to test myself at the highest level one day.”

“No disrespect to the Asian leagues, but I think European leagues remain the strongest leagues in the world till now. I have never denied that Arsenal is my dream club, and I would do my utmost to fulfil this dream.”

Tukhtasanov’s next match is the quarterfinal encounter against former champions Korea Republic on Monday. If Tajikistan make the semifinals then a place in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in the Korea Republic next year awaits them.

afc.com
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 16:08 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quarter Finals

Japan 1 - 1 Iran
Japan wins 8-7 on penalties

Saudi Arabia 1 - 2 Syria

China 1 - 2 North Korea

Tajikistan 1 - 0 South Korea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in