The state of South-East Asian football - Xtratime Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 15:41 Thread Starter
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 12 2005
Posts: 146
The state of South-East Asian football

With Australia now part of the region, can anyone pls tell me a little bit about the state of Asean football, the strongest teams and outstanding players to watch out for. I ve done a bit of research and the Tiger Cup seems to be the main competition and Singapore and Thailand the strongest teams? I think i know the answer to this, but what are our chances of dominating and winning the Tiger Cup regularly with the players we've got? Ps- We beat a full-strength Indonesia 3-0 with a second-string team last year, although i suspect S'pore and Thailand will provide much steeper competition.
Waterboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 16:07
Mesopotamian
Premier Player
 
Mussav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Location: Civilizations'Cradle
Teams: Iraq & Germany
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy
With Australia now part of the region, can anyone pls tell me a little bit about the state of Asean football, the strongest teams and outstanding players to watch out for. I ve done a bit of research and the Tiger Cup seems to be the main competition and Singapore and Thailand the strongest teams? I think i know the answer to this, but what are our chances of dominating and winning the Tiger Cup regularly with the players we've got? Ps- We beat a full-strength Indonesia 3-0 with a second-string team last year, although i suspect S'pore and Thailand will provide much steeper competition.
All I know is Singapore Strong at Home
I don't know the other teams, but i think they are Strong at home too.
Mussav is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 20:08
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 07 2005
Posts: 1,842
Thailand and Singapur are also not bad at home,
the climate there is an adavantage for them.

But Australia is currently clearly the favorite against them,
the Australian association has better conditions
and the player have much more international experience.
Eisenfu▀ Eilts is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2006, 23:16
International
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Posts: 5,440
Australia must be considered as huge favourites compared to all the nations they are going to play against in the Tiger Cup...
Starcraft is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 19:36
totally innocent
Premier Player
 
HiJazzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: The south, the deep south
Teams: Ittihad
Posts: 2,227
Thailand is the only decent side in the region, they can be good at times, but don't have enough to seriously challenge the big teams.

Obituary


Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006


HiJazzey is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2006, 02:06
Rookie
 
Join Date: 01 2006
Posts: 75
I played in singapore's s-league a few years ago and the standard is very poor.
Muthu is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2006, 08:34
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthu
I played in singapore's s-league a few years ago and the standard is very poor.
You played in the S-League before? What's ur name and for which team? Totally agree that the standard is crap. Tons of rumours about corruption too.
Jianxing is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2006, 15:31
Rookie
 
Join Date: 02 2006
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthu
I played in singapore's s-league a few years ago and the standard is very poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthu
I played alongside him in the India NT.
There is no Indian player to have ever play in the Singapore League. So Mr Muthu, dont mislead others with your lies.
plainwater is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2006, 15:34
Rookie
 
Join Date: 02 2006
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianxing
You played in the S-League before? What's ur name and for which team? Totally agree that the standard is crap. Tons of rumours about corruption too.
Corruption? That wasn't the Sleague. It was the V-League in Vietnam. Get your facts right dude.

And standard is improving all the time. Recent results: Singapore 2-0 Iraq / Japan 6-0 India

Need I bring out more facts and evidences for you guys??
plainwater is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2006, 01:37
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainwater
Corruption? That wasn't the Sleague. It was the V-League in Vietnam. Get your facts right dude.

And standard is improving all the time. Recent results: Singapore 2-0 Iraq / Japan 6-0 India

Need I bring out more facts and evidences for you guys??
Look at the words clearly stated by me in my reply to Muthu. I clearly put the word RUMOURS. You can ask around. The rumours of corruption in the S-League are there. There are cases of corruption some years back with a few of the foreigners. There are rumours of corruption all over the world, including Serie A, EPL, La Liga. And I'm a Singaporean. I suggest you look through my reply to Muthu AGAIN. I DID NOT state that THERE IS CORRUPTION, I simply put there are RUMOURS. There's a big difference. Thank you very much!!!!

http://theurbanwire.com/mar03/fandi.html
This link is an example of RUMOURS, not a fact. And that's what I meant throughout the whole post.

Last edited by Jianxing; February 25th, 2006 at 01:54.
Jianxing is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2006, 17:51
World Class Player
 
Zhuge Liang's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2001
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Teams: Arsenal FC
Posts: 8,947
If Australia is going to play their European-based players, I'd say Australia will have 100% chance to win the competition.

Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
Zhuge Liang is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome