AFC club competitions (including Australia) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2005, 10:44 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Romania
AFC club competitions (including Australia)

In the AFC Champions League take part teams from 14 countries: Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, I.R. Iran, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, Korea Republic, China P.R.

In the AFC Cup take part teams from 14 countries: India, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Yemen AR, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Turkmenistan, Myanmar, Singapore, Maldives, DPR Korea, Hong Kong and Bahrain.

Both competitions have the same format: 7 groups of 4, the team coming first in each group qualifies for the Quarter-finals stage together with the
defending champion. Each country sends 2 teams: the champion and the cup winner (or league runner-up if the champion and cup winner are the same). So if Australian clubs enter one of these 2 competitions, a format change will be required.

AFC Champions League was restricted to 14 'mature' member associations of AFC; the teams of the so-called 'developing' members were relegated to the AFC Cup.

1. Who will Australia send?
2. Will Australia be considered a mature member or a developing one?
3. Which competition will the Australian clubs join?
4. Will the format change and how?
5. If Australian clubs enter the AFC CL, will clubs from another country "drop" into the AFC Cup and then will clubs from a 'developing' country involved in the AFC Cup drop in the AFC President Cup for the 'emerging' nations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:01
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal FC
Most likely Australian teams will be considered as mature members judging from their quality. If Vietnamese clubs like Hoang Anh Gia Lai can participate in CL, I don't see reason why teams like Perth Glory should only participate in AFC Cup instead of the CL. There should be some changes in the competition formats, but I think it won't affect too much. I haven't heard any news about countries that will be relegated to AFC Cup, because I believe it's a pretty sensitive issue and honestly I myself haven't understood well about rules and regulations about upgrading and downgrading.

Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:16
Xtratime Legend

I believe we're allowed to send teams into both the Asian CL and AFC Cup, for next years competition when we have our league winner crowned. However, since we use a play-off system to decide our league winner (the top four go into the play-offs) I'm not sure how we'd work out who goes into what because they may finish up differently on the absolute final table ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:18 Thread Starter
Star Player

Both? I don't think so. It's either AFC CL or AFC Cup.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:26
Xtratime Legend

Ah. I'm not sure, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to play AFC Cup for the first few years, to 'prove ourselves', so to speak.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:34 Thread Starter
Star Player

The teams elected for the AFC CL (or the AFC Cup) are the national champion and the national cup holder. Does Australia have a cup competition? If it doesn't I guess you'll send the national champion and the runner-up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:41
Xtratime Legend

No, we don't have a cup, just a league at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if we did hold a pre-season and/or mid-season cup to determine who goes in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in