crocket fixtures for the new season - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 614 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2008, 23:58 Thread Starter
I Need More Cowbell!
International
 
Loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2000
Posts: 7,047
crocket fixtures for the new season

So this is the cover of the latest issue of the New Yorker. I personally, find it outrageous! I just can't get over the fact that they charge $4.50 for this garbage when it isn't even worth the 15 it went for back in 1925.


Hurrah for Paquador!
Loco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 00:29
Tim
Xtratime Legend
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Texico
Posts: 33,807
Even more outrageous is that these car shows always promise you Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Ferraris, Porsches... but upon closer inspection they're really only Pintos and Yugos.
Tim is offline  
post #3 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 03:05 Thread Starter
I Need More Cowbell!
International
 
Loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2000
Posts: 7,047
So what's Obama's royal lineage? Does he have more royal genes than McCain does?

what's the scoop? Anyone know?

Hurrah for Paquador!
Loco is offline  
 
post #4 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 03:21
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
I saw an old SNL skit about the "Adobe" the Mexican car made of clay. Very easy to fix after an accident. You can even grow cactus on the hood.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #5 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 19:12
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
At least you folks get to directly decide between two candidates for Car of the Year. Here there are two dozen cars in the running. Because of this there is never one model that gets enough votes to be elected Car of the Year. As a result different car manufacturers form a coalition to build the Car of the Year. For the voter that is usually very unsatisfactory because he may end up with car parts that he absolutely did not want.

For example, if during the election race BMW makes a point of it that their Car of the Year candidate has a V8 engine and that is something they are not going to compromise on, I might be so impressed by that one aspect alone that I'm going to vote for them. But because of the need to form a coalition, BMW will have to compromise after all. And if the other two car manufacturers both have hybrid engines, you can bet that the V8 is going to be the first thing to go.

As a voter I then feel cheated. I wanted my Car of the Year to have a V8 engine and not a hybrid one. That's the whole reason I voted BMW in the first place. So I complain my BMW representative about it. Guess what he'll tell me... "compromising is a sign of strength". Yeah, right. The hell it is. It's a sign of breaking your promise to the voter and showing that you care so much about being in power that you'd do anything to obtain it.

Respectability? Gone! Trust? Poof! Integrity? Went out the window!

Which is why I really don't know anymore which car to vote for. The cars themselves may look nice and their salesmen sometimes say some really good things. But then I remember that it's not going to be one car that wins it anyway. You just know that they're going to form a coalition and when they do, they're going to break their promises just as easily as they made them.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck

Last edited by Boyo; July 17th, 2008 at 19:18.
Boyo is offline  
post #6 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 20:10
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
I refuse to participate in this sham conversation. Talk politics! Let the admins try and shut us down. I'll take 'em all on. With my bad temper and Tim's arsenal, we can do anything.

Boyo, you keep accurate records of the amount of ammunition we use. Is it tax deductable?

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #7 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 20:29
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
I'm not sure. I think you're allowed to deduct a certain amount for 'hobby expenses'.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #8 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 20:49 Thread Starter
I Need More Cowbell!
International
 
Loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2000
Posts: 7,047
Listen, having the SA section all the way down here at the bottom has its perks after all. To top that, no one knows what the hell crocket is. After all, most of the trolls on the site weren't even born when Miami Vice had everyone tuning into NBC. They associate crocket with Collin Ferrell. But I digress....

I say we talk politics here. Enough of this cars bs.

Hurrah for Paquador!
Loco is offline  
post #9 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 21:10
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Enough of this car BS!

Vote for Obama. McCain is too damn old!

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #10 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 21:57
Tim
Xtratime Legend
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Texico
Posts: 33,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
For the voter that is usually very unsatisfactory because he may end up with car parts that he absolutely did not want.
Perhaps that is a problem with politics in general. I often wish for a system where there would be more than only two choices, because with the way things are now, the two parties control the political process, and the politicians usually end up promising one thing and then delivering something else.

Democrats know that an unhappy Democratic voter isn't going to change affiliation, because it's very unlikely that he would switch over to the Republican side and because voting third party has little to no effect. The same goes for the Republicans and their voters.

As a result, you more often than not end up having to choose between what amounts to being punched in the face or being kicked in the nuts.

Plus people who think they need to stick their noses into the lives of others, whether financially (Democrats) or socially (Republicans), piss me off anyhow.
Tim is offline  
post #11 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 22:09
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco View Post
Listen, having the SA section all the way down here at the bottom has its perks after all. To top that, no one knows what the hell crocket is. After all, most of the trolls on the site weren't even born when Miami Vice had everyone tuning into NBC. They associate crocket with Collin Ferrell. But I digress....
You'd be surprised. The Skyblue Parrot Saloon is very popular. A lot of Xtratimers love to read the things we talk about. Note how the thread has 2,000 posts but 11,000 views.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #12 of 614 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2008, 22:25
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Perhaps that is a problem with politics in general. I often wish for a system where there would be more than only two choices, because with the way things are now, the two parties control the political process, and the politicians usually end up promising one thing and then delivering something else.

Democrats know that an unhappy Democratic voter isn't going to change affiliation, because it's very unlikely that he would switch over to the Republican side and because voting third party has little to no effect. The same goes for the Republicans and their voters.

As a result, you more often than not end up having to choose between what amounts to being punched in the face or being kicked in the nuts.

Plus people who think they need to stick their noses into the lives of others, whether financially (Democrats) or socially (Republicans), piss me off anyhow.
I see your point. But in your system there's at least a clear winner. It's either this or that. Either Left or Right. Not a little of this and a bit more of that and so on. Add a third party to the equation and already there's the possibility of forming a minority government, or a coalition.

If party A gets 35% of the vote, party B 32% and party C 33%, party A will have won the elections. But it does not have the majority in parliament, because party B and C can team up and defeat party A with 65% to 35%. This makes governing very difficult, if not impossible. So already with a 3 party system there might be need to form coalition government.

In a two party system half of the electorate might be unhappy for four years, whereas in a three or more party system, the whole of the electorate might be unhappy for four years.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #13 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 02:25
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
You'd be surprised. The Skyblue Parrot Saloon is very popular. A lot of Xtratimers love to read the things we talk about. Note how the thread has 2,000 posts but 11,000 views.
Is there any way to find out who they are? Why would you just read the thread but never post in it.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #14 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 02:26
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Perhaps that is a problem with politics in general. I often wish for a system where there would be more than only two choices,
Are you saying you want even more politicians? Don't we have enough now?

I need a Bill Kaulitz for President t-shirt.

Didn't I have a BK for Pres photo a few months ago? I wonder what I did with it.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #15 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 02:32
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
I'm sure I had a Bill Kaulitz for President photo. I thought I posted it at the Skyblue Parrot saloon, but I can't find it with a search.

Damn. Now I can't rest until I find it.

This is going to take a while. where could it be?

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #16 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 02:33
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
Shit! my cat just bit me.

He sat on my lap and just reached over and bit me on the arm. Like a hairy land shark!

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #17 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 04:36
Tim
Xtratime Legend
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Texico
Posts: 33,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird View Post
Are you saying you want even more politicians? Don't we have enough now?
No, less is more as far as the number of politicians is concerned, but I just wanted more ways in which to divide them into segments and allow people to vote on them.

Boyo makes some good points about systems with three or more parties, but it is nevertheless frustrating to have a two-party system where people often make protest votes (e.g. they dislike McCain but still vote for him because they think Obama is even worse, and vice versa, in effect voting against the candidate they don't want) and this enables the two parties to get away with all the bullshitting and lying the do. I thought things might be better if there were some realistic alternatives.
Tim is offline  
post #18 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 08:38
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird View Post
Shit! my cat just bit me.

He sat on my lap and just reached over and bit me on the arm. Like a hairy land shark!
Probably a love bite.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
post #19 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 13:51
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Humbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2000
Location: USA
Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Posts: 22,582
no, the little furry creep meant it. It's a cat power-play. He's asserting his authority states as Alpha-cat. I am secondary cat.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Humbird is offline  
post #20 of 614 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2008, 14:00
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend
 
Boyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Posts: 37,170
Blog Entries: 7
Is this your cat?


Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
Boyo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome